SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Book Q&A

9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 1
Pettersson_40
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 63
I'm looking for suggestions for a Q&A on my new book that I am working on right now. The questions but be appropriate, about hockey, and ideally about hockey analytics, as that is what the book is about. The questions that I select would get credit in my book in the form of their actual name or their name on CapFriendly. Enjoy!
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 3
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,708
Quoting: Jello_Bob
I'm looking for suggestions for a Q&A on my new book that I am working on right now. The questions but be appropriate, about hockey, and ideally about hockey analytics, as that is what the book is about. The questions that I select would get credit in my book in the form of their actual name or their name on CapFriendly. Enjoy!

To clarify, are you looking for questions to answer about Hockey, or questions about the book?
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
To clarify, are you looking for questions to answer about Hockey, or questions about the book?

No, questions to answer within the book
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
More specifically, I'd like questions that involve the players themselves. i.e: Not: How to fix NHL arenas? or How to boost scoring? But more like: Who won a specific trade? or Who is set up for the future the best?
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 11
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,708
More specifically, I'd like questions that involve the players themselves. i.e: Not: How to fix NHL arenas? or How to boost scoring? But more like: Who won a specific trade? or Who is set up for the future the best?

OK, I'll try then.

What do you think is the right mix of analytics and the eye test needed to properly evaluate a player?
What improvements do you think will happen/do you want to see with Analytics models?
What ways can teams use to introduce analytics to more casual fans?
Are teams with more Analytics focus set up better for the future?

Is there a place online I can go to learn about this book? I have a couple at home that I've enjoyed and I am always looking for new reading material.
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
OK, I'll try then.

What do you think is the right mix of analytics and the eye test needed to properly evaluate a player?
What improvements do you think will happen/do you want to see with Analytics models?

Is there a place online I can go to learn about this book? I have a couple at home that I've enjoyed and I am always looking for new reading material.

Not yet, it's my book and I haven't published it yet. However, here is a list of some really solid books in the meantime:

HockeyNomics by Darcy Norman
Hockey Abstract series and Stat Shot series by Rob Vollman
Hockey Compendium by Jeff Klein
Hockey Analytics: A Game-Changing Perspective by Stephen Shea
Tape To Space: Redefining Hockey Tactics by Ryan Stimson
Hockey Confidential by Bob McKenzie has a really good chapter on it
The Hockey News just released a magazine called the Numbers Issue that has some great articles in it.

Thanks for your questions.
BeterChiarelli et NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 28
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,450
Not yet, it's my book and I haven't published it yet. However, here is a list of some really solid books in the meantime:

HockeyNomics by Darcy Norman
Hockey Abstract series and Stat Shot series by Rob Vollman
Hockey Compendium by Jeff Klein
Hockey Analytics: A Game-Changing Perspective by Stephen Shea
Tape To Space: Redefining Hockey Tactics by Ryan Stimson
Hockey Confidential by Bob McKenzie has a really good chapter on it
The Hockey News just released a magazine called the Numbers Issue that has some great articles in it.

Thanks for your questions.

I cannot recommend Rob Vollman's stuff enough. It's ridiculously well-laid out and I'd honestly struggle with analytics a lot more if it wasn't for his publications.

As for questions:

1. Can - and possibly more importantly - should analytics evolve beyond the realm of on-ice player analysis? Should coaches and GMs be held to similar statistical scrutiny? Could they be held to such analysis?
2. Could the continuing evolution of sports science (more specifically, the off-ice data it provides) result in the crossing of ethical boundaries such that players lose even more autonomy when it comes to diet, surgeries, workouts etc?

If I have any other thinkers kicking around in the old noggin I'll be sure to pass them on.
9 nov. 2021 à 13 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I cannot recommend Rob Vollman's stuff enough. It's ridiculously well-laid out and I'd honestly struggle with analytics a lot more if it wasn't for his publications.

As for questions:

1. Can - and possibly more importantly - should analytics evolve beyond the realm of on-ice player analysis? Should coaches and GMs be held to similar statistical scrutiny? Could they be held to such analysis?
2. Could the continuing evolution of sports science (more specifically, the off-ice data it provides) result in the crossing of ethical boundaries such that players lose even more autonomy when it comes to diet, surgeries, workouts etc?

If I have any other thinkers kicking around in the old noggin I'll be sure to pass them on.

Yeah Vollmans stuff is amazing. Thanks for the questions!
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
9 nov. 2021 à 14 h 27
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
A couple good examples would be like: Who won a specific trade? or Who should win the Stanley Cup? Who is the best stat?

That sort of thing.
10 nov. 2021 à 20 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Going to need more then this
11 nov. 2021 à 3 h 3
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
OK, I'll try then.

I would be interested in knowing more about why certain teams have been successful at drafting and developing young players in the age of analytics, while other teams have struggled. How do the successful teams use analytics to build through the draft? What are they looking for? Most average hockey fans, like me, have a very rudimentary knowledge of analytics and would like to learn more.
11 nov. 2021 à 11 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Thanks for the questions!
13 nov. 2021 à 19 h 41
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

I looked it up a couple of days ago after seeing this, and just got a copy. Hope it's a good as advertised. Thanks for the recommendation!
BeterChiarelli et Jello_Bob a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2021 à 12 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Hello
15 juin 2022 à 10 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
OK, I'll try then.

The book is finally published, I'll make another forum about it but there a couple of your guys questions in the book!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B3Z7TR91
NoVaSpartan a aimé ceci.
23 juin 2022 à 17 h 23
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Modifié 25 juin 2022 à 17 h 1
First of all, congratulations on the publication of your book and it is a pity I could not participate in this discussion. I really liked the book "The Demon in the Freezer" where they talk about epidemics and bioweapons based on them. I read it briefly at https://freebooksummary.com/category/demon-in-the-freezer, but as a book for a better understanding of history it is excellent. I like that it shows the true faces of the nations and their ambitions in the industry. You could say there was some analytical analysis on the subject as well.
24 juin 2022 à 11 h 37
TimDupre
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 0
That's a terrific idea. I've long wanted someone to look into this and find out what kind of questions real fans are interested in.
28 juin 2022 à 12 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Quoting: Sirstee
First of all, congratulations on the publication of your book and it is a pity I could not participate in this discussion. I really liked the book "The Demon in the Freezer" where they talk about epidemics and bioweapons based on them. I read it briefly at https://freebooksummary.com/category/demon-in-the-freezer, but as a book for a better understanding of history it is excellent. I like that it shows the true faces of the nations and their ambitions in the industry. You could say there was some analytical analysis on the subject as well.

Why are u bringing this up in this Fourm?
28 juin 2022 à 12 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Pettersson_40
Quoting: TimDupre
That's a terrific idea. I've long wanted someone to look into this and find out what kind of questions real fans are interested in.

Thanks, I might write another one, so you may get another chance!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage