Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread #2

20 oct. 2021 à 1 h 28
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: aadoyle
If everything works out but with Arizona in the mix I think its gonna be split

My guess rn is Bedard to Arizona and Wright to Buffalo

I mean it’s kinda pointless to guess, like it’s not an evaluation of the level they’re at because the worst team only gets like a 20% chance of winning. And Buffalo looks better than Arizona right now, so you’re essentially betting on a less than 4% chance that is purely determined by a lottery.
Kotkaniemi15 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 1 h 32
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Are the best 4 young young teams in hockey right now going to be the
Anaheim Ducks
Buffalo Sabres
Ottawa Senators
New Jersey Devils

Because of the franchises/owners, I’m skeptical about Buffalo & Ottawa.

I’m not sure what your criteria is, but Detroit should be in the conversation, most of their guys just haven’t made it to the NHL yet.
Alfie11, A_Habs_fan et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 1 h 47
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Because of the franchises/owners, I’m skeptical about Buffalo & Ottawa.

I’m not sure what your criteria is, but Detroit should be in the conversation, most of their guys just haven’t made it to the NHL yet.

Damn, I knew I forgot a team lol. I’d probably put Detroit at 4, behind Ottawa right now but ahead of Anaheim. I love their prospect depth at every position except C, but if they draft a C with a top 10 pick (Wright, Lambert, Savoie, Geekie, McGroarty, Cooley all candidates) then I think their rebuild is done and it’s just a matter of developing. They’ve got Edvinsson-Seider for their top pair, a boatload of LD prospects to fight for 2LD alongside Hronek (I like Wallinder personally), Nedeljkovic and Cossa in net, Raymond/Zadina for top 6 RWs, and will probably keep Bertuzzi/Vrana for top 6 LWs and Larkin for one top six C (Veleno/Rasmussen fight for 3C). Adding a top 10 pick likely future top six C completes their puzzle. They’re probably winning a cup, especially if they get a top 5 pick this year.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 7 h 21
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: Alfie11
I don’t think the Sabres will be in the conversation with those other teams for 2-3 years tbh. I think this is the year New Jersey and LA take a step forward and push for the playoffs, and next year the Sens will join them. Ducks are weird because their D is old af and I don’t like any of their D prospects that much (apart from Drysdale who’s clearly a future #1). They should trade Lindholm and Manson, but if they get picks rather than 20-22yo prospects then it sets their rebuild back a year or two because they’ll just be in the position Ottawa is right now (very nice young forwards, no defense at all), except without a pipeline of guys like Sanderson/JBD/Brannstrom/Thomson (Drysdale is better than at least 3 of those guys, I’d say 4, you could argue Sanderson’s better but even though I’m a Sens fan I disagree, but then Anaheim’s next best D prospects are Zellweger and Lacombe, and I’d take Thomson over both of them). So basically what Anaheim needs to do is trade for D prospects, rather than picks, to join Ottawa in being a fringe playoff team next year (i.e. trade guys like Manson/Lindholm/Rakell to EDM for Broberg, or NYR for Jones, or NYI for Salo, or something like that rather than just 1sts or 2nds). Sabres need to revamp their forwards hard. They have Cozens (who I like as a future top six C, potentially 1C), Mittelstadt (who I’m not a huge fan of, maybe a 3C when they’re good), Quinn/Peterka, who will fill two top 9 RW spots, and Rosen who will likely be a middle six LW. There’s 4 other top 9 spots available, including at least one top line winger and another top six centre, that they need to bring into the fold. Trading Eichel would make this a lot easier, but they won’t have Power full time until next year, and I’d give him at least a year before expecting anything, and two drafts (especially the next two) with poor finishes will set Buffalo up nicely. I do like Dahlin/Jokiharju/Power/Samuelsson as ¾ of the top 4 and the 3LD (presumably) long term, and UPL/Levi are solid goalie prospects so there isn’t much work to do there imo, could use another RD but they can trade for one, or that can be a veteran, or use a 2nd to draft a guy for that. So I’d rank the young teams like:
1. LAK (legitimate wild card potential this year)
2. NJD (fringe wild card potential this year, but unlikely in a tough division)
3. OTT (legitimate wild card potential next year)
4. ANA (legitimate wild card potential in 2 years unless they accelerate by trading for prospects over picks)
5. BUF (legitimate wild card potential in 2-3 years depending on the Eichel haul and how Power does as a rookie)

ARI is like 4-6 years away lol and MTL/NYR have so many veterans I’m not sure if they count as young teams.

IMK the sabres team has a lot of their pieces in tact.

U got Ollofson, Rosen, Quinn, Peterka, Skinner, as top 6 wings.
Cozens is a top 6 center could be a 1C but probably a good 1C Great 2C. I think Cozens is a 2 way center, more like Barkov ish than say Matthews or McDavid. Mittelstadt I think is going to surprise this year a be a good 2C, and Tage Thompson has been a surprise this year who could also become a top 6 center has all the intangibles but needs to reach it. We have Asplund and Routsalainen to round out the bottom 6 center core, they are perfect 2 way scoring threat and great at defense. Have a lot of other wing prospects that could make the jump though if we get lucky, Weissbach, Kisakov, Poltapov, ... For defense Dahlins a bonafide number 1 probable top 5/3 dman in a couple years, u got Jokiharju on his right side who's severely underrated. Him and Makar are the only 22 year old dmen not on ELC. Power is legit, Ryan Johnson seems ok, Sammuellson seems to be a bottom 6 dman. Sabres lack RD so hopefully we can trade Eichel for some RD talent if possible. Goalie we got UPL and Levi, Portillo if he makes a jump.
20 oct. 2021 à 7 h 25
Quoting: aadoyle
Lottery's are tricky yes Buffalo is almost guaranteed one but tanking the following year to get the other may not work the same way

With Arizona also committed to tanking its unlikely Buffalo will get both, could happen but other than Edmonton its a rare occurrence to see a team get 2 #1 OA picks more than twice in a row

I got a feeling we will see the same thing that happened with NJ

Buffalo will win #1 in 2022 or 2023 then win again in 2024/2025, With Arizona winning in-between

So Wright or Bedard will probs end up a Saber, both occurring is unlikely due to Arizona

Yea, ik just it was a technicality that could happen.
20 oct. 2021 à 7 h 31
Buffalo Sabres Top 25 by DBTB

Eichel
Cozens
Dahlin
Power
Mitts
Jokiharju
Routsalainen
Asplund
Quinn
Peterka
UPL
Thompson
Sammuellson
Johnson
Bryson
Rosen
Laaksonen
Pekar
Levi
Portillo
Lyckåsen
Kisakov
Weissbach
Huglen
Fitzgerald
20 oct. 2021 à 7 h 35
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,485
Did Perlini play with McDavid though?

Not at 5v5, maybe on the powerplay idk
A_Habs_fan et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 7 h 38
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,333
@Yikes what’s your analysis of how the Habs played vs the Sharks
20 oct. 2021 à 8 h 7
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,077
What’s up with Buffalo haha

3-0-0

Presidents trophy here they come
20 oct. 2021 à 8 h 30
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,485
Evan Rodrigues would be the Habs best scorer if we had him.
MitchMarner_16, A_Habs_fan et zk97 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 8 h 40
Quoting: SevenLeg
Evan Rodrigues would be the Habs best scorer if we had him.

Man, losing Price, Weber, Danault, Edmundson ( he'll be back sometime soon hopefully ) and co. really hurt us. Our lines don't seem to click, Ducharme still plays 2 of the worst D's together, everyone seems to be slumping, our leadership core may have evaporated
SevenLeg et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 9 h 9
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
What’s up with Buffalo haha

3-0-0

Presidents trophy here they come

They have played 3 mediocre teams and outworked all of them. Not out talented
20 oct. 2021 à 9 h 22
They have played 3 mediocre teams and outworked all of them. Not out talented

Montreal isn't mediocre but they sure as hell are playing like they are
BuFfaLOFaN, zk97 et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 9 h 28
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,091
IMK the sabres team has a lot of their pieces in tact.

U got Ollofson, Rosen, Quinn, Peterka, Skinner, as top 6 wings.
Cozens is a top 6 center could be a 1C but probably a good 1C Great 2C. I think Cozens is a 2 way center, more like Barkov ish than say Matthews or McDavid. Mittelstadt I think is going to surprise this year a be a good 2C, and Tage Thompson has been a surprise this year who could also become a top 6 center has all the intangibles but needs to reach it. We have Asplund and Routsalainen to round out the bottom 6 center core, they are perfect 2 way scoring threat and great at defense. Have a lot of other wing prospects that could make the jump though if we get lucky, Weissbach, Kisakov, Poltapov, ... For defense Dahlins a bonafide number 1 probable top 5/3 dman in a couple years, u got Jokiharju on his right side who's severely underrated. Him and Makar are the only 22 year old dmen not on ELC. Power is legit, Ryan Johnson seems ok, Sammuellson seems to be a bottom 6 dman. Sabres lack RD so hopefully we can trade Eichel for some RD talent if possible. Goalie we got UPL and Levi, Portillo if he makes a jump.

Bryson is very underrated. Solid 2nd pairing D. I wonder if he’s in the Sabres plans.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 9 h 49
Quoting: Db1899
Bryson is very underrated. Solid 2nd pairing D. I wonder if he’s in the Sabres plans.

As a 3rd LD after Dahlin and Power...sabres need a RD, if any of their guys, Power, Sammuellson, Bryson, or Johnson could play RD that would be huge! Love Bryson's speed and vision! Really good at breakout passes which is a high asset.
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 9 h 50
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

I agree, they played Mediocre.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 10 h 29
Brace for the Storm
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,647
How good is this?
DeBrincat-Crosby-Tkachuk
Iafallo-Zibanejad-Labanc
Nichuskin-Turcotte-Kyrou
Frederic-Paul-Sutter

Toews-Theodore
Edumundson-Weegar
Simek-Stecher

Hellebuyck
Halak

Is this a cup winning team?
20 oct. 2021 à 10 h 41
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,077

this is the first time ive ever in my life pitied the habs SLIGHTLY. im still hoping they suck this year but thats just bc i hate them
20 oct. 2021 à 10 h 41
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,732
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
How good is this?
DeBrincat-Crosby-Tkachuk
Iafallo-Zibanejad-Labanc
Nichuskin-Turcotte-Kyrou
Frederic-Paul-Sutter

Toews-Theodore
Edumundson-Weegar
Simek-Stecher

Hellebuyck
Halak

Is this a cup winning team?

Not a huge fan of last few defensemen but yeah I'm pretty sure they would. Maybe not if Crosby were to get hurt but otherwise I'd expect this team to be at least Conference Finals worthy
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 30
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Modifié 20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 36
Yikes what’s your analysis of how the Habs played vs the Sharks

Yikes what’s your analysis of how the Habs played vs the Sharks

Well the first period was just brutal for the Habs, they began correcting their bad start but they continued taking some bad penalties (refs called the game tight, not much was allowed, some weak penalties). But while the refs did call a tight game there just some unnecessary penalties that could have been avoided but those come later. Than 3-0 with a goal just before intermission was just deflating.

2nd period they start strong but as I said this is where the penalties come into play and 4-0. And about the same for the 3rd. The habs didn’t play brutal but they didn’t play good.
Additionally they literally couldn’t buy a goal, missing wide open nets, Cole Caufields crossbar/ side of the net. Some of it was just purely bad luck. But Wideman missing a literally wide open net along with a few times the Habs didn’t jump onto rebounds seems like a lack of engagement or preparedness. They easily could had this game tied 4-4 or pushed back and got it to 4-2 then went for a goalie pull to push into a tie.

But instead it seemed the Habs would get frustrated and miss scoring chances and both teams seemed content with just letting the game end after it was 3-0. The game just felt like that and after Meier made it 4-0, it really seemed like the Habs just wanted the game over with and the Sharks said “cool we’re fine with that”. Hertl, Eklund, Balcers for example played well but at 4-0 their assignments, along with the rest of the team wasn’t go make 7-0, it was; “keep the lead”. So the game became quite mundane because the Sharks have a 4-0 lead and don’t need to take risks whereas the Habs didn’t consistently push. They’d push back in spurts and miss chances they needed to capitalize on. Hill played well but not great; and the Habs coulda exposed that but didn’t. The Sharks played solid, but the Habs, if they lit a fire under their ass, coulda provided the paying fans a good game. Instead they didn’t. That’s the issue because this game coulda been exciting even if the Habs lost 4-1 or 4-2 but instead they looked like they just wanted the game over every couple minutes with some good shifts in between.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 33

Losing 2/3 of one of the best lines in hockey is a big reason for the Habs slow start
zk97 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 36
Losing 2/3 of one of the best lines in hockey is a big reason for the Habs slow start

Well, it's a combination of yes losing Danault, Tatar but that has mostly affected Gallagher, losing Weber and Price have affected our defence and leadership core, and having Edmundson out for family reasons hasn't helped our D either
20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 38

My assessment of the team’s problems right now:

Forwards
Problem: A lack of chemistry and even luck with the forwards. Few people are gelling, and I’m sure everyone going cold at the same time is also a factor.
Solution: Mostly just wait it out and hope things work out. Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Hoffman, and likely Dvorak should be good for at least 20 goals each barring massive drop-offs, so it’s not like this team won’t score. You can’t force chemistry, and there’s not much Ducharme can do other than continuing to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Defense
Problem: Officiating and the loss of Joel Edmundson. Our D was not good in the regular season last year. They did get a lot better in the playoffs, which was partially because of the more lax officiating (specifically Chiarot & Weber). Weber isn’t here anymore, but Savard hasn’t brought anything positive in contrast to Weber’s regular season, and Chiarot is losing effectiveness, putting us at a deficit. Now that we’re without Edmundson and our 2nd pairing is ineffective, the D corps is a mess.
Solution: When Edmundson returns that hopefully returns the top pair to being a part of the team that can be leaned on. But still, for the D to improve in the regular season or even get to the heights it reached in the playoffs, Romanov needs to grow into more than he was last year and Chiarot/Savard need to provide something similar at least to what Chiarot/Weber provided last year.

Goaltending
Problem: We aren’t as good without Carey. It hasn’t affected the outcome of any of the games, but we’re worse without him.
Solution: Wait until Carey is back. Maybe we trade for a cheap backup if that isn’t close enough.

Power Play
Problem: The 2nd unit was never good last year. Up until the addition of Hoffman last night, it was lacking a trigger man. The 1st unit (which has now been shaken up) seems to be dealing with everyone just going on a cold streak. Caufield has been snake bitten. Also, no one can replace Corey Perry’s impact in front of the net.
Solution: Hoffman should hopefully make the 2nd unit dangerous. The absence of Weber will prevent the 2nd unit from just being a time-waster. The rest is similar to the forwards, they need to work on chemistry and hope people break out of their slumps.

Intangibles
Problem: There’s a possibility that this team has mental hurdles with all of the players that they have lost over the summer or aren’t currently with the team.
Solution: ?

^ a good analysis of our situation
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
20 oct. 2021 à 11 h 50
^ a good analysis of our situation

Yeah there’s definitely truth to that but I think the #1 reason is the loss of Tatar + Danault. That line spent a majority of their ice time in possession of the puck.
20 oct. 2021 à 14 h 9
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
So I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast and Elliotte Friedman said that “everyone hates the salary cap”. I know that players and agents would dislike it, but I’m surprised that someone as in the loop as Elliotte thinks that. Or are people like me who enjoy the cap even more outnumbered than I think?

I know that I for one am 100% certain that I wouldn’t be nearly as big of a hockey fan if the salary cap didn’t exist. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks, even though I’d expect most people on here to disagree with Elliotte.

I posted a thread about it here: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/522246
A_Habs_fan et zk97 a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage