Forums/Armchair-GM

The Tim Stutzle problem

Créé par: Claesson4Norris
Équipe: 2021-22 Sénateurs d'Ottawa
Date de création initiale: 19 oct. 2021
Publié: 19 oct. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
With Brady returning to slot in as the number 1 LW on the Norris-Batherson line, it raises some questions about who exactly Tim Stützle is going to play with. Obviously the no brainer move to me is to stick him with Pinto-Brown, but I'm not entirely convinced that that DJ Smith wants to go away from the Paul-Pinto-Brown line. Since they were put together, Smith has really seemed to have fallen in love with that trio, referring to it as his "Identity Line" and praising them as a shutdown line he can put against anyone. I think he's going to wants to have that trio together to throw at top lines, at least at home when the Sens get their favorable matches.

I think we might see two different groups at home vs the road. I think we'll see a lot of that shutdown trio at home, when Ottawa gets to pick their matchups, but on the road, I think the load up with Stützle on that line instead. The problem is who do you play Stützle when you choose to lean on that shutdown line? I guess the obvious choice right now is Tierney-Ennis, but that really is nowhere near good enough. Perhaps though, this becomes an opportune moment to experiment with Tim Stützle as a C. I don't really think he is, but I think having two strong lines without Stützle let's you experiment with something like that.
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de TBL
Logo de OTT
Logo de BOS
Logo de VAN
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de NYI
Logo de SJS
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de NSH
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
Logo de OTT
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $66 716 591 $0 $4 057 500 $14 783 409 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa
8 330 674 $8 330 674 $
AG
UFA - 7
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
C
UFA - 1
4 975 000 $4 975 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 6
749 250 $749 250 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance600 000 $$600K)
C
RFA - 2
3 600 000 $3 600 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
747 500 $747 500 $ (Bonis de performance107 500 $$108K)
AG
RFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
C
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
726 667 $726 667 $
AG
RFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 7
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
900 000 $900 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 200 000 $1 200 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
787 500 $787 500 $
G
UFA - 2
1 200 000 $1 200 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
1 700 000 $1 700 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
750 000 $750 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
4 750 000 $4 750 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 4
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
19 oct. 2021 à 8 h 49
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
Stutzle is not playing well? I thought he was at least doing better than the bust Lafreniere.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 5
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,894
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
Stutzle is not playing well? I thought he was at least doing better than the bust Lafreniere.

No, that's not the case at all. In fact, even though he's got just 1 point, he's easily been the team's most dangerous player to start the season. He hasn't found the back of the net, but he looks like a budding star who is about to break through.

The point I'm making is more about DJ loving Paul-Pinto-Brown as a shutdown line, and that potentially leaving Stützle as the odd man out, and how that might leave opportunities to experiment with Tim Stützle's role.

I think in all likelihood they will simply put Stützle with Pinto and Brown, because that's obviously what makes the most sense. I just wanted to explore other options if DJ does want to have that top unit shutdown line.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 15
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,985
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
No, that's not the case at all. In fact, even though he's got just 1 point, he's easily been the team's most dangerous player to start the season. He hasn't found the back of the net, but he looks like a budding star who is about to break through.

The point I'm making is more about DJ loving Paul-Pinto-Brown as a shutdown line, and that potentially leaving Stützle as the odd man out, and how that might leave opportunities to experiment with Tim Stützle's role.

I think in all likelihood they will simply put Stützle with Pinto and Brown, because that's obviously what makes the most sense. I just wanted to explore other options if DJ does want to have that top unit shutdown line.

I have maintained since the offseason that the Sens need to experiment with Stützle playing centre. Seems that now is the perfect time to do just that.

Worst case scenario is he can't (oh no) which leads the organization in one direction. Of he can, then it leads them down another with a multitude of line up possibilities.

Again Sens fans..... Stützle, Norris and Pinto down the middle for a decade = Spezza, Fischer and Kelly. Those teams were awefully good.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 19
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,383
Putting Stutzle on the third line is so wrong IMO.

I really like Nick Paul and I'm really high on him.

However, the top 6 should be for the more offensively-minded forwards while the bottom 6 should be for the more defensively-minded forwards.

It's as simple as that.

If DJ really wants Nick Paul to play with Shane Pinto and Connor Brown, he should do so if Stutzle is either not available or just had a long shift.

Stutzle just isn't meant to be a third line checker that kills penalties like Nick Paul.

Like ... ever.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 26
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: swinny
I have maintained since the offseason that the Sens need to experiment with Stützle playing centre. Seems that now is the perfect time to do just that.

Worst case scenario is he can't (oh no) which leads the organization in one direction. Of he can, then it leads them down another with a multitude of line up possibilities.

Again Sens fans..... Stützle, Norris and Pinto down the middle for a decade = Spezza, Fischer and Kelly. Those teams were awefully good.

If Stützle were to pan out as a C, Stützle-Norris-Pinto down the middle blows Spezza-Fisher-Kelly out of the water. Stützle is unlikely to reach the level of dominance that Spezza hit as his peak, but Norris is going to be a real cut above Fish imo, and I think Pinto has upside as a comparable player to Mike Fisher.
csick a aimé ceci.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 27
KFTW
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 23,514
Even better forward group:
Tkachuk-Pinto-Stutzle
Formenton-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-C. Brown
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 34
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,985
If Stützle were to pan out as a C, Stützle-Norris-Pinto down the middle blows Spezza-Fisher-Kelly out of the water. Stützle is unlikely to reach the level of dominance that Spezza hit as his peak, but Norris is going to be a real cut above Fish imo, and I think Pinto has upside as a comparable player to Mike Fisher.

Not disagreeing with that assessment. The sum of the parts is what makes it look so good. Literally able to roll 3 lines.

All offseason we have seen various posts about the Sens needing to find another centre, yet, Stützle has experience at the position. That may not pan out at the NHL level (see Nylander, William) but now is the time to find that out..... as there isn't much in the system that could fill that void.

The insane depth the Sens have on the wing (still quality prospects coting Abramov and Greig) in the system, couple with the impressive depth on the blueline, a deal surely is out there if it doesn't work out that fits the Sens long term.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: sensonfire
Putting Stutzle on the third line is so wrong IMO.

I really like Nick Paul and I'm really high on him.

However, the top 6 should be for the more offensively-minded forwards while the bottom 6 should be for the more defensively-minded forwards.

It's as simple as that.

If DJ really wants Nick Paul to play with Shane Pinto and Connor Brown, he should do so if Stutzle is either not available or just had a long shift.

Stutzle just isn't meant to be a third line checker that kills penalties like Nick Paul.

Like ... ever.

How did you get "Tim Stützle should be a 3rd line checker" from this? That's very clearly not the point. It's actually the opposite of the point, because I was highlighting the team's options for Stützle if DJ opts to keep the Pinto line together to fill that exact role without Stützle.

You shouldn't Reilly get hung up on 1st line 2nd line 3rd line, and how each line has to fill a specific role. For example, the Pinto line this year has functionally been the 1st line in terms of deployment, and is very clearly a checking line.
19 oct. 2021 à 9 h 59
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,700
Quoting: swinny

Big Fisher and Kelly fan but I think Norris and Pinto will be much better hockey players. Stutzle is very different from Spezza but could be another high end center. You're totally right though, if Stutzle transitions to center well, the team is in very good shape

Formenton-Stutzle-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Ennis
Paul-Pinto-Brown
Sanford-Tierney-Watson
Kelly/White (injured)

That top-9 could be damn good, almost that you wouldn't really need a 4th line lol

Sokolov, Jarventie, Crookshank most likely candidates to graduate next season. Ridly Greig and Tyler Boucher too? Ennis and that whole 4th line could be let go (although Watson still has 1 year after)
swinny a aimé ceci.
19 oct. 2021 à 10 h 48
sensonfire
Modifié 19 oct. 2021 à 10 h 56
How did you get "Tim Stützle should be a 3rd line checker" from this? That's very clearly not the point. It's actually the opposite of the point, because I was highlighting the team's options for Stützle if DJ opts to keep the Pinto line together to fill that exact role without Stützle.

You shouldn't Reilly get hung up on 1st line 2nd line 3rd line, and how each line has to fill a specific role. For example, the Pinto line this year has functionally been the 1st line in terms of deployment, and is very clearly a checking line.

My point is that some hockey teams would usually give more ice time to their 1st line than their 2nd or 3rd lines.

For instance, during Ottawa's cup run in '07, Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson got lots of ice time while every other forward got a lot less because they checked more than they scored.

Stutzle can score more than he can check and I sort of question whether Coach DJ appreciates that.

As such, Stutzle's calibre and potential is that of a 1st line forward, not a 3rd line forward.

The main reason why Nick Paul - Shane Pinto - Connor Brown functioned as a 1st line is because of the absence of Brady Tkachuk.

Coach DJ wanted a LW to fill in for Brady who not only checks but can play on a line with Pinto/Brown and maintain chemistry while Stutzle is moved up with Norris and Batherson.

That player was Nick Paul.

After Stutzle and Paul, there is a huge drop off to the next LW and Coach DJ didn't really have much choice.

With Brady back in the lineup, either Nick Paul or Tim Stutzle will have to make room and be demoted to the 3rd line.

I'm hoping Coach DJ doesn't put Stutzle on the third line because he's not the calibre of player that belongs there and that's not his potential.

Unless Coach DJ intends to roll 4 lines and try matching them against the 4 lines on other teams, putting Nick Paul on the third line is the way to go.
19 oct. 2021 à 12 h 32
Marner Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight. Yeah from my observations he looks really energetic and confident with the puck, whereas every time Lafreniere touches it, he defers it to a teammate right away. Basically you’re seeing a player with no belief in his ability.

Anyway do you think the Sens could take a chance on Dylan Strome? I think he has a skillset that could work well with a transition & stickhandling expert like Stutzle.
19 oct. 2021 à 12 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
Thanks for the insight. Yeah from my observations he looks really energetic and confident with the puck, whereas every time Lafreniere touches it, he defers it to a teammate right away. Basically you’re seeing a player with no belief in his ability.

Anyway do you think the Sens could take a chance on Dylan Strome? I think he has a skillset that could work well with a transition & stickhandling expert like Stutzle.

Strome to OTT wouldn't surprise me at all. They called about him in the summer, and I believe it was LeBrun who speculated that Ottawa would make sense when discussing Strome. They need to add someone.
19 oct. 2021 à 13 h 4
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,465
Ninety percent of teams and hockey fans would like the have problems the Sens are going to have now and in the near future.
Lots of cap, lots of good players, many years of NHL control for their best players.
Gee whether a top 6...maybe top 3 player like Stutzie plays centre or left wing....I'm sure the Sens coaching can figure it out.
19 oct. 2021 à 14 h 6
Marner Enthusiast
Strome to OTT wouldn't surprise me at all. They called about him in the summer, and I believe it was LeBrun who speculated that Ottawa would make sense when discussing Strome. They need to add someone.

Agree I think Strome can be attained for a fourth maybe cuz CHI has no leverage. He’s pretty good at generating iXG and iCF, so if used properly he could be the new Sam Bennett!
19 oct. 2021 à 14 h 22
Melnyk_0ut
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 234
Quoting: sensonfire
My point is that some hockey teams would usually give more ice time to their 1st line than their 2nd or 3rd lines.

For instance, during Ottawa's cup run in '07, Heatley, Spezza and Alfredsson got lots of ice time while every other forward got a lot less because they checked more than they scored.

Stutzle can score more than he can check and I sort of question whether Coach DJ appreciates that.

As such, Stutzle's calibre and potential is that of a 1st line forward, not a 3rd line forward.

The main reason why Nick Paul - Shane Pinto - Connor Brown functioned as a 1st line is because of the absence of Brady Tkachuk.

Coach DJ wanted a LW to fill in for Brady who not only checks but can play on a line with Pinto/Brown and maintain chemistry while Stutzle is moved up with Norris and Batherson.

That player was Nick Paul.

After Stutzle and Paul, there is a huge drop off to the next LW and Coach DJ didn't really have much choice.

With Brady back in the lineup, either Nick Paul or Tim Stutzle will have to make room and be demoted to the 3rd line.

I'm hoping Coach DJ doesn't put Stutzle on the third line because he's not the calibre of player that belongs there and that's not his potential.

Unless Coach DJ intends to roll 4 lines and try matching them against the 4 lines on other teams, putting Nick Paul on the third line is the way to go.

Have you watched the first 3 games of the season? If you did, you would have noticed the Paul - Pinto - Brown line has been the best line. Why would you change that? Stutzle's minutes won't change regardless of what line he is on. Putting him on the 3rd line isn't a punishment, it's an opportunity for him to absolutely fly with Formenton against weaker opponents
19 oct. 2021 à 14 h 46
sensonfire
Quoting: Melnyk_0ut
Have you watched the first 3 games of the season? If you did, you would have noticed the Paul - Pinto - Brown line has been the best line. Why would you change that? Stutzle's minutes won't change regardless of what line he is on. Putting him on the 3rd line isn't a punishment, it's an opportunity for him to absolutely fly with Formenton against weaker opponents

Yes, I did watch the first 3 games of the season.

And after I did, I didn't log on to Capfriendly and start attacking your ideas whenever you posted.

Like I said in the other thread, as long as you're winning, nothing else matters.

Even if Nick Paul is higher up in the lineup than Tim Stutzle.

However, if you start losing, you might need to consider making some changes.

It's what coaches do all the time.

If you watched hockey all your life like I do, you would know.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage