SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Charlie McAvoy (8 Years / $9,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

15 oct. 2021 à 13 h 51
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,805
Quoting: exo2769
I guess what I find most interesting about this signing is that he's likely their 2nd best player making BY FAR the most money.

Fixed
15 oct. 2021 à 14 h 32
GM67
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 316
Grossly!!!! Overpaid!
gary_bettman et PrisonBull a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 14 h 40
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,562
Quoting: Janasazi
As a Leafs fan, it gives me a lot of joy knowing that the Bruins are no longer massively underpaying their star players.

Maybe now they’ll have the same cap problems as the rest of the league

What if I told you that McAvoy's CH% is very similar to what Bergeron signed 8yrs ago.
Janasazi a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 14 h 44
Quoting: BCAPP
It's probably not a terrible contract but I'm surprised he was able to get this much without being a good pp qb. His es scoring is good, but his pp production is poor which keeps him in the 30-45 point range and generally people get paid more for offense than other.

I would have expected more in the Ekblad/Heiskanen range of about 10.5% of cap ceiling than the 11.5% he got.

I think mid to high 8s would have been a good deal, so this one is okay towards an over pay that isn't to big a deal because it's not a crazy overpay and he is a damn good player.

Now take into account that he's never really gotten a strong look on PP1 because that was Krug's role. Last season as not to disrupt the rest of the PP they had Grz take tbe role. This year it'll be McAvoy playing 1PP. I expect to see his production take a jump.

Despite his low offensive number, he was still 5th in Norris voting last year. Now imagine what's happen when hes the QB of the 1PP this year for Boston.
bhavikp27 a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 14 h 45
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: exo2769
I guess what I find most interesting about this signing is that he's likely their 4th...ish best player making BY FAR the most money.

Thats what happens with fixed contracts and two players completely defying aging curves.

Bergeron is from a draft class of great players who are all now at best second liners and many depth/out of the league. Somehow he's still elite.

Marchand is more bizarre in that he was a good 2nd line to okay first line winger through his mid 20s, then resigns in late 20s to appropriate money for that and then at like 28 years old becomes a 40 goal/90 point player. It's just bizarre.

Pastrnak is just what everyone hopes happen when they sign a guy of ELC money to first line non superstar money then he explodes. That at least makes sense.

Bergeron and Marchand are just damn unique.
exo2769 a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 14 h 46
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
It's a lot of money but it shouldn't age badly.

It's only about 1M more than Tkachuk.
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 2
Quoting: ON3M4N
What if I told you that McAvoy's CH% is very similar to what Bergeron signed 8yrs ago.

Bergeron was an mvp candidate and his % was suppressed as he was presumed to decline like a normal human would have over that course (damn his longevity is impressive).

I argue this is an overpay, but it is not a huge overpay, and he's an excellent player so in the end likely not a big deal
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 3
Now take into account that he's never really gotten a strong look on PP1 because that was Krug's role. Last season as not to disrupt the rest of the PP they had Grz take tbe role. This year it'll be McAvoy playing 1PP. I expect to see his production take a jump.

Despite his low offensive number, he was still 5th in Norris voting last year. Now imagine what's happen when hes the QB of the 1PP this year for Boston.

Oh I am more just saying it's impressive he was able to get this amount without shiny points. I was more saying guys like him (top end dmen who aren't #1 pp quarterbacks and/or defenseman goal scorers) tend to not get paid as much.
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 18
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Fixed

Which of Marchand or Bergeron is worse than him?
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 20
Quoting: bhavikp27
There's a case for Marchand. He's #2 at worst.

You think he's better than Bergeron? Marchand is certainly better as a top two way winger and literally #5 in scoring the last few years. Even pastrnak is 9th in scoring and 5th in goals on the same period.
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 22
Bergeron was an mvp candidate and his % was suppressed as he was presumed to decline like a normal human would have over that course (damn his longevity is impressive).

I argue this is an overpay, but it is not a huge overpay, and he's an excellent player so in the end likely not a big deal

MVP candidate? He finished top 5 once in MVP voting his entire career lol
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 30
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: Hockyluv21
For folks comparing this to Makar's contract, it's an unfair comparison. This contract buys out WAY more UFA seasons. Makar's deal bought out two UFA years; McAvoy's deal buys out 5 UFA seasons, IIRC. It's a very good contract, especially when you consider that Werenski got more for less years!

The negative feedback is probably coming from the fact that Boston's big guns always seem to take team-friendly contracts. Even if this contract is relatively fai (I think it is more or less fair), it's certainly not a Christmas gift to the GM.
15 oct. 2021 à 15 h 35
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 5,450
Quoting: Brian2016
The negative feedback is probably coming from the fact that Boston's big guns always seem to take team-friendly contracts. Even if this contract is relatively fai (I think it is more or less fair), it's certainly not a Christmas gift to the GM.

It is since McAvoy is underpaid. The difference is that 63-37-88 are underpaid by $5-6M+. McAvoy by $1-2M.
15 oct. 2021 à 16 h 27
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 535
Very good deal. How can anyone complain about locking up a top5 dman for 8 yrs around the same price as Nurse, Werenski, Jones, etc. Big W
Devil a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 16 h 44
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
So the same deal Seth Jones got this summer only he’s actually worth it more?

Makes me wish Stan Bowmen was fired
Devil a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 16 h 57
Mentions "j'aime": 6,382
Quoting: Random2152
Fantastic deal. One of the best D in the entire league signed through his prime. Arguably the best 5v5 D in the entire NHL. Excellent, excellent player.

God I hate that he is a Bruin.

He hates it too
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-bruins/charlie-mcavoy-tweeted-he-hates-bruins-so-much-2013
Random2152 et PrisonBull a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 17 h 9
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,201
So this is the 2nd 9+ million dollar deal signed recently where the Dman is actually worth it... Unless I'm forgetting somebody.
15 oct. 2021 à 17 h 10
MVP candidate? He finished top 5 once in MVP voting his entire career lol

Haha guess he was just mvp quality in my head those dominant Selke years. Honestly he was underappreciated league wide (I assume he got his love in Boston). I remember there was a year where nobody scored against the Bruins for like 2-3 months when Bergeron and Chara were on the ice together. That's nuts
ON3M4N a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 17 h 26
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Pulock has to fire his agent.
I hope every FA and rookie is looking him up so they know who not to sign with.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this ages. How much of an effect Bergeron has on that team will become clear shortly. You'll end up finding out really soon if he was really worth 9.5 or not. I don't think he's a Karlsson prime kind of player who can carry a team. That part kind of bothers me when you are paying a guy 9.5. But he's sure as hell better than jones
15 oct. 2021 à 17 h 35
Mentions "j'aime": 1,805
Which of Marchand or Bergeron is worse than him?

Bergeron
15 oct. 2021 à 18 h 8
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Bergeron

Craziness
15 oct. 2021 à 18 h 49
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 623
“I hate the Bruins so much” -Charlie McAvoy, 2013
15 oct. 2021 à 19 h 31
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: pharrow
Pulock has to fire his agent.
I hope every FA and rookie is looking him up so they know who not to sign with.

1. McAvoy (23) is already better then Pulock (27).
2. Pulock had just finished his rookie season at 23.
3. McAvoy's been a top 10 defender for like 3 years.

Also this:

McAvoy's deal starts when he's 24 and ends when he's 32.
Pulock's deal starts when he's 28 and ends when he's 36.

A players prime is usually around 26-27, so that's quite a disparity.

PS - I'm a Leafs fan.
15 oct. 2021 à 20 h 2
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: drewjenkins
1. McAvoy (23) is already better then Pulock (27).
2. Pulock had just finished his rookie season at 23.
3. McAvoy's been a top 10 defender for like 3 years.

Also this:

McAvoy's deal starts when he's 24 and ends when he's 32.
Pulock's deal starts when he's 28 and ends when he's 36.

A players prime is usually around 26-27, so that's quite a disparity.

PS - I'm a Leafs fan.

A. Actually the prime for defensemen is actually 25-26. But if you actually new anything about those statistics, you'd know that defensemen have a much slower decline in their ability than forwards. Which is why defensemen can tend to play well at say 34 where forwards don't.

B. Pulock and McAvoy are two different kind of defensemen. Don't confuse that for one being "better" than the other. Pulock is much better than McAvoy in his own zone. Period.

C. it's not when you got your start that determines how good of a player you are. When did Panarin finish his rookie deal? 24? does that mean guys who finished theirs at 21 are better players....clearly it does not.

D. McAvoy hasn't been a top 10 defender for 3 years. If anything over that time frame, McAvoy has been prone to be injured. He's had how many concussions at this point?
His health on the ice is suspect. You can't say that about Poluck.

So when you want to sit here and talk about the length of the deal and act like McAvoy is younger and that's so much better, it really avoids the question of will McAvoy actually last longer in the league than Pulock at a high level.
There is no really proof of any of that but you like to assume it. Pulock declining, past 34 is just as likely as McAvoy getting injured throughout that contract and eventually on a LTIR out.
On top of it, McAvoy on a rebuilding BOS team without support is a far less effective player than a Pulock on a NYI team that will continue to be competitive. So I wouldn't be rushing to use stats as your end all be all of judgements.

Fact is Pulock took a huge discount. He should have been paid more, and that is really on his agent. If you don't get that, somethings wrong with you.
PrisonBull a aimé ceci.
15 oct. 2021 à 20 h 49
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 976
Do people understand that this is a top 5 defenseman in this league that is not 29 years old?

This is exactly the player you drop this type of contract on. It's so weird how people are all of a sudden crawling out of the woodworks to find better contracts just because Boston has a few of them.
bhavikp27 et Devil a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage