SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Florida Panthers signed Aleksander Barkov (8 Years / $10,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 22
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,899
Quoting: AndrewLadd
No more Barkov to the rangers ACGM posts 🤩!

Beat me to it.
OldNYIfan et SoFlaSooner a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 30
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,645
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
also how tf does Marner and Tavares have to do with Barkov's extension

He's a bitter Isles fan, still mad that Tavares left.
BCAPP et SoFlaSooner a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Got to thank Florida taxes for keeping the cap hit low lul.

Man that Brayden Point contract though just got a lot better lul.

Gets 4mill more for the Selka vs. Point winning back to back cups
SoFlaSooner a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 39
Wow that's a lot of signing bonuses.
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Toronto has higher taxes than Florida so they might be making around the same amount after taxes, also how tf does Marner and Tavares have to do with Barkov's extension

They post every time they see a guy on a US team take less lul

If we look at Tavares for instance he was signed 11 x 7 vs Barkov 10 x 8. That loss of a year can be pretty big for an older player and so a mill was needed to compensate that. That and Canadian taxes, living expenses dont help either lul.

Anyways good luck to Florida. Huberdeau, Weegar, Knight, be due the following year.

And for those interested in the end even with all the bonus money Marner will be making 15mill less in the end. So yes higher cap hit but that does not mean more money for him in the end. As thats what happens when the deal is 6 years and not 8.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 46
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
Where the f**k did panthers ownership get that type of money to pay him lmfao…. incredible signing regardless.
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 49
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: CD282
He's a bitter Isles fan, still mad that Tavares left.

Show me the last time I talked ab Tavares
8 oct. 2021 à 12 h 52
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Show me the last time I talked ab Tavares

tears of joy

Nobody here is talking about you.
AndrewLadd a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 13 h 3
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: CD282
tears of joy

Nobody here is talking about you.

Oops, misread what happened I don’t even know how lmao. My bad
CD282 et BCAPP a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 14 h 2
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 295
Good deal. Maybe slightly high in the last year or so, but fantastic until then. Anyway, in 8 years, it won't really matter. They'll have one a cup or rebuilding by then.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 14 h 2
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 282
could you imagine signing a goalie for this amount??? that would be crazy...
OldNYIfan, PenisMcNab, capfriendlyaccount and 4 others a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 14 h 10
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 31
Quoting: drewjenkins
Barkov's average annual net income will be roughly $6,336,000 after taxes. (tax rate = 36.64%)

Marner's average annual net income is currently $5,105,000 after taxes. (tax rate = 53.18%)

------------------------------------

An $8,000,000 cap-hit in Florida would give you about the same net-income as Mitch Marner.

Marner has a lower net-income than Kucherov + Stamkos + Point + Vasilevskiy + Barkov + Bobrovsky.

His after tax salary is closer to Hedman + Ekblad than anyone above (and his cap-hit is $3,000,000+ higher than theirs).

------------------------------------

More info is available here:

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

I think that calculator based 100% of their income in their locality, when in reality they NHL players only earn half their income in the locality they are located. The other half is taxed in the locality where they play away games. And salary bonuses are taxed at the location of their domicile I believe, so Matthew’s for example who only makes 700-800k base salary has his $7-15M annual bonuses taxed in Arizona.
BCAPP a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 15 h 22
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Not only is this a huge Win for the Panthers on the ice, it's a huge W for the organization. South Florida has now been established as a major hockey destination. And this team's Cup window is open right now.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 15 h 34
Mentions "j'aime": 847
Quoting: Roysboy72
Great deal, but I saw a report that there’s $70mil+ in signing bonuses, so this may be updated to reflect that if it’s true.

If that’s actually true, that means nearly 90% of the contract is signing bonuses, how does that even work?

It will be impossible to buy it out, so there's a lot of risk here.
8 oct. 2021 à 15 h 38
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,598
Quoting: Brian2016
Not only is this a huge Win for the Panthers on the ice, it's a huge W for the organization. South Florida has now been established as a major hockey destination. And this team's Cup window is open right now.

Which is why I find the general consensus that Florida will finish fourth in the division so puzzling. (See https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2830457 ) This is a good well-structured team with a good GM who apparently has a good plan to which he is going to stick.
Brian2016 et PenisMcNab a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 15 h 48
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Which is why I find the general consensus that Florida will finish fourth in the division so puzzling. (See https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2830457 ) This is a good well-structured team with a good GM who apparently has a good plan to which he is going to stick.

This team is strong in almost every capacity. The only area of concern is goaltending, imo. Will Bob rebound? How will Knight adjust to a heavier workload? I'm picking them to finish 1st in the Atlantic, but I could see them anywhere in the top 3 barring any serious injuries to key players, of course.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 16 h 12
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
Nice work. Getting Zito in there seriously changed the way FLA has been sailing.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 16 h 56
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,517
He deserves it. He is a VERY good player.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
8 oct. 2021 à 17 h 18
GoJetsGo
Mentions "j'aime": 522
Massive deal, but they had to do it. Their window is now, with the core from last year+ Reinhart and guys like Knight and Tippett coming through the system, they couldn't afford to lose a core piece. The cap hit is reasonable enough, and the term they'll just have to deal with (it'll be a bit easier to swallow as since he's only 26). He's proven himself to be worth this kind of money. Now they've got a chance to win.
8 oct. 2021 à 19 h 8
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Toronto has higher taxes than Florida so they might be making around the same amount after taxes, also how tf does Marner and Tavares have to do with Barkov's extension

people don't make financial deals like this.
Taxes change, all the time and any person in finance would tell you that.
You take what you can, because in a blink you could be paying 50% federal tax in the top bracket.
Don't think it can't happen, and then what's the player got, other than screwed for leaving money on the table.
If he took a discount he did it to stay there, not because of the tax rate.
8 oct. 2021 à 19 h 10
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4
Barkov is worth every penny of this contract, great contract for the panthers.
However why why why do these closeted leaf fans have to bring up Toronto when a deal like this is signed.
8 oct. 2021 à 19 h 12
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4
Quoting: pharrow
You take what you can, because in a blink you could be paying 50% federal tax in the top bracket.
Don't think it can't happen, and then what's the player got, other than screwed for leaving money on the table.

Closeted maple leafs fans compare everything to their secret favorite team they claim to hate but never stop talking about
8 oct. 2021 à 19 h 37
No regretzkys
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 389
Quoting: KingLundqvist30
Great deal. This will be considered “team-friendly” around year 5.

This deal is already a steal…
9 oct. 2021 à 4 h 35
Quoting: pharrow

It'll be a cold day in July in Miami before FL residents pay higher taxes than Toronto residents, lol. FL is the retirement capital of the Western Hemisphere.
Tintin a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2021 à 8 h 11
Mentions "j'aime": 541
Florida is now committed to Barkov for 9 years. 26 is probably the oldest I'd want to go that long on, but I think it's a fair extension for him. If he didn't get 8x10 from Florida he probably would have got 7x11 somewhere else, and the Panthers couldn't allow that to happen. But I voted no because of the signing bonuses. That's just stupid. If a player is afraid of being bought out then the team should be equally afraid of him not performing. Buyouts are there for a reason, and being bought out isn't necessarily so bad for the player anyway. Sure it's embarrassing, but you're either paid not to play or you can go sign somewhere else and double dip. Look at Alex Wennberg. He got bought out by Columbus and then got close to the same AAV with Seattle. Ryan Suter actually got 46% more than what was left on his bought out contract, and he's 36 years old!
RawDeal a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage