SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Scott Harrington: A Critical Essay

17 sept. 2021 à 9 h 50
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
There are some people on this site that have an irrational hatred of certain players (one specific example involving a Stars fan comes to mind), and i personally have one too: I have an irrational dislike (it's not exactly hatred) of Columbus Blue Jackets LD Scott Harrington. It's nothing against him: I don't know him personally, the man may bring kittens down from trees and help build homeless shelters off the ice, but in a hockey context, there are a few things that grind my gears about him.

As a player, Scott is... meh. Average plus/minus numbers, average scoring numbers (for a defenseman), all around an average NHL player. The problem is that a) he's not good enough and b) we're not playing him enough to justify paying him as much as we're paying him.

Point A: We already have three NHL-quality LDs on our team: Werenski, Gavrikov, and Bean. This leaves Harrington, along with Gabriel Carlsson and Mikko Lehtonen, in this little zone of "They usually won't make the game-night roster". The main difference is that Carlsson and Lehtonen can be moved to the AHL roster if we don't need them. We can't do that with Harrington without it taking a hit on our salary cap (yes, it's only 500,000 dollars, but still).

Point B: That $1,633,333 contract was signed in the offseason before the 2019-2020 season. The most games he has played in a season since then is 37, out of 82 total. is 37 games a year with less than 10 points that year really worth a million and a half per year? If his contract was closer in value to Carlsson's or Lehtonen's, this wouldn't be a problem. If anything, i would welcome his presence on the roster.

The only good thing that i can take out of this is that the contract is in its last year of running. We can at least flip him at the deadline to some team that needs defensive depth for a playoff run and get him out of our hair. Until then, i'll still be miffed about this. Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.
17 sept. 2021 à 19 h 29
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,729
Quoting: Bobcat205
There are some people on this site that have an irrational hatred of certain players (one specific example involving a Stars fan comes to mind), and i personally have one too: I have an irrational dislike (it's not exactly hatred) of Columbus Blue Jackets LD Scott Harrington. It's nothing against him: I don't know him personally, the man may bring kittens down from trees and help build homeless shelters off the ice, but in a hockey context, there are a few things that grind my gears about him.

As a player, Scott is... meh. Average plus/minus numbers, average scoring numbers (for a defenseman), all around an average NHL player. The problem is that a) he's not good enough and b) we're not playing him enough to justify paying him as much as we're paying him.

Point A: We already have three NHL-quality LDs on our team: Werenski, Gavrikov, and Bean. This leaves Harrington, along with Gabriel Carlsson and Mikko Lehtonen, in this little zone of "They usually won't make the game-night roster". The main difference is that Carlsson and Lehtonen can be moved to the AHL roster if we don't need them. We can't do that with Harrington without it taking a hit on our salary cap (yes, it's only 500,000 dollars, but still).

Point B: That $1,633,333 contract was signed in the offseason before the 2019-2020 season. The most games he has played in a season since then is 37, out of 82 total. is 37 games a year with less than 10 points that year really worth a million and a half per year? If his contract was closer in value to Carlsson's or Lehtonen's, this wouldn't be a problem. If anything, i would welcome his presence on the roster.

The only good thing that i can take out of this is that the contract is in its last year of running. We can at least flip him at the deadline to some team that needs defensive depth for a playoff run and get him out of our hair. Until then, i'll still be miffed about this. Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

I know you’re talking about me and it’s not the first time this has come up.

My reasons for hating Comeau:

1. He gets ice time over Gurianov who’s miles and miles better than him
2. He’s always with Miro which makes him worse
3. He loves giving away the puck
4. He loves giving away the puck at important times
5. He takes useless penalties
6. He takes useless penalties at important times
7. He cheap-shots at literally the worst moments which costs us games
8. He takes away our young guns ice-time because our coach loves him (for some reason), which can result in poor development
9. He destroys my eyeballs when I’m watching him
10. His stupid line gets praised when Mackinnon literally made them look like peewee players

I’m pretty sure that’s enough reasons.
A_Habs_fan et Bobcat205 a aimé ceci.
20 sept. 2021 à 15 h 18
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 724
Most of both of your reasonings is more to do with the coach or GM than the actual player. It is fairly stupid to "hate" a player because of what line he plays on. And what on earth does a forward have to do with making a defenseman "worse"? How does that even make logical sense?

It's not like CBJ will spend up to the cap this year and try to compete. The 1.6mil as the 23rd roster spot literally hurts nothing. Players get injured all the time, you need NHL ready people around. Harrington also was signed 3 years ago, not this off season. So what does all of the LDs on the roster right now have to do with his contract? It's not his fault Kek-o-line-en decided to go acquire a hundred LDs?

Honestly, I have an "irrational hatred" toward both of you... there, now we are even : P
23 sept. 2021 à 17 h 13
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 433
Point B: That $1,633,333 contract was signed in the offseason before the 2019-2020 season. The most games he has played in a season since then is 37, out of 82 total. is 37 games a year with less than 10 points that year really worth a million and a half per year?

To be fair, in 2019-20 he played 39 games out of 70.
Or 40 games out of 80 if you include the playoffs.
1 sept. 2022 à 21 h 36
Alex Bump Truther
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,572

A few people I hated from Philly
RJ UMBERGER
Brandon Manning when he first came up
19 déc. 2022 à 3 h 57
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
I know you’re talking about me and it’s not the first time this has come up.

My reasons for hating Comeau:

1. He gets ice time over Gurianov who’s miles and miles better than him
2. He’s always with Miro which makes him worse
3. He loves giving away the puck
4. He loves giving away the puck at important times
5. He takes useless penalties
6. He takes useless penalties at important times
7. He cheap-shots at literally the worst moments which costs us games
8. He takes away our young guns ice-time because our coach loves him (for some reason), which can result in poor development
9. He destroys my eyeballs when I’m watching him
10. His stupid line gets praised when Mackinnon literally made them look like peewee players

I’m pretty sure that’s enough reasons.

Sounds pretty rational to me. Blake Comeau is (was) terrible. You, like all of us, have dedicated a large percentage of your life towards watching and rooting for your favorite team and there's a particular player who made your team worse, particularly at critical moments. If you "hated" Joe Pavelski, I'd say that you have anger issues.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage