SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1 Year / $6,100,035 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 août 2021 à 23 h 45
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 53
Thinking about the draft picks, Kotkaniemi was drafted 1st round 3rd pick? I don't know the order for 2022 draft but I'm assuming Carolina will be finishing high in standings so their 1st and 3rd do seem like a trade down overall.
29 août 2021 à 1 h 37
Drover006
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 494
So during 31 thoughts EF says that they're were talks of a long term situation with KK and the canes so guessing they have a plan at least
pinslack a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 2 h 45
ButIActLikeIDid
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 37
I simply can’t vote lol This is great for KK money wise however he doesn’t deserve all that money, not yet at least. In Aho’s case it was different as he did and does deserve it all. If KK used this as a tactic and secretly wants to stay with the Habs this is weird way showing it. I don’t see him having future there after this. Their fans are going to rip him apart unless he starts playing up to his draft status
Brian2016, SensFan1263, rollie1967 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 3 h 4
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Not really sure how MTL pays him $6M and makes the playoffs. Especially when they were probably banking on a relatively low AAV bridge contract, lol. But, this is pure insanity on Waddell's part, nonetheless. And I'd hate to be in MB's shoes next week. This is the definition of a no-win situation.
29 août 2021 à 3 h 6
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: INeverPlayedHockey
I simply can’t vote lol This is great for KK money wise however he doesn’t deserve all that money, not yet at least. In Aho’s case it was different as he did and does deserve it all. If KK used this as a tactic and secretly wants to stay with the Habs this is weird way showing it. I don’t see him having future there after this. Their fans are going to rip him apart unless he starts playing up to his draft status

MB probably should have offered $8.22M+ for Aho.
29 août 2021 à 8 h 1
Pete
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 162
Wow, what a surprise! Makes sense for the Canes if it's just for 1 year at that price. My assumption is he'll sign a long term extension for much less money and Aho will move to the wing.
HappyKampfers a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 9 h 10
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 601
The $20 sigmimg bonus was the ultimate f-you Montreal
29 août 2021 à 9 h 15
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 601
Quoting: Brian2016
MB probably should have offered $8.22M+ for Aho.

No waddell.trolled even better with the $20.sigmg bonus
29 août 2021 à 10 h 12
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2
This is clearly an opportunity to troll the Habs after the Aho offer sheet in 2019. From the wording of the press release, the dollar amount of the bonus (Aho's number) and even the yearly salary itself (Kotkaniemi's number), and the timing (late August). While it's grade A trolling, I think it's ultimately bad for the whole offer sheet process.

The offer sheet system is notoriously heavy with fear, both of club reaction and the steep price in draft picks. That is mostly because offer sheets tend to target top RFAs. The only other examples I can think of right now are Dustin Penner by the Oilers (and we all recall Anaheim' Brian Burke's anger) and now Kotkaniemi. There were Sakic (NY Rangers) and Fedorov (Carolina, different owner) in the 1990s, then almost nothing until Penner and Shea Weber (Philly). Except for Penner, all were matched. And I don't believe there was an offer sheet made between Weber and Aho.

People clamour for more offer sheets. Bergevin made a move on July 1st 2019, calling Tom Dundon's bluffing game with Sebastian Aho. Noting the Hurricanes' notorious stingy ways when negotiating contracts with young players (or paying staff), the Habs offer sheet was heavily front loaded with bonus (similar to the Sakic offer sheet of 1996). The billionaire Dundon shelled out the money from his pocket, a first from him. The Hurricanes acted offended, waited out the full 7 days to paralyze the Habs as was their right, then matched the offer (which had a reasonable cap hit). And some vague promise of revenge.

Now, they made Kotkaniemi a 6.1M$ center. This is a 21-year old guy who had struggled to fit consistently as a middle-six center. He has tons of promise, but his biggest deficiencies seem to relate to decision-making. He's better than the guy who was healthy scratched in the playoffs (that's a result also of the Habs' depth at forward). He was going to get his chance now, with Danault gone. He was passed over by Suzuki, but he has to know he will not get ahead of Aho in Carolina (and what about Trochek?).

Now, I don't blame Kotkaniemi one bit for signing this. Good for him. But it's a bad contract, with only the flexibility as a positive aspect. Next year's QO is now at 6M$. An extension makes more sense, but how much of a reduction in salary would he accept as a 22-year old? It's a huge gamble for Carolina. They'll make the cap this coming season (they just need to jettison Gardiner), but it's another question of whether they'll get the value.

It does put the Habs in a real bind. A 6M$ Kotkaniemi hardly fits under the cap, and a 6M$ QO really is problematic when considering Suzuki and Romanov will need a new deal, then Caufield the year after without that much money coming off the books. Without Kotkaniemi, they will have lost two of their top-3 centers this offseason for a couple of draft picks, and Jake Evans as their 2C.

Overally, it is a well placed revenge. But while the trolling value is great, it's an offer sheet to end them all. Because there is no other justification for this contract than revenge; the hockey value is just not there to justify such a big hit (and only 1 year).
rollie1967 et ColonelX a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 10 h 28
pld apologist
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 22
UNO REVERSE CARD
29 août 2021 à 10 h 41
Why
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 39
There isn't really a way that Carolina will lose really badly from this.
If Montreal matches and aw shucks we don't keep him, well now biceps-for-brains has to deal with his qualifying offer stuff. Kotkaniemi could sign an extension, but if he wants money (which he does) he'll wait until the offseason and force the Habs' hand.
If Montreal doesn't match well then the Hurricanes have Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Unlike Montreal there's no attachment to him, so trading him or letting him get offer sheeted is perfectly fine. In the meantime, he'll be a perfectly fine forward option (probably not more than that, but you never know). I could see Carolina calling up a desperate team at the deadline and saying, "Hey, we've got this forward and we'll be willing to retain half his salary if you give us some candy." Said candy might not be a full recuperation of the picks they gave up, but the picks they gave up are going to be in the back half of their prospective rounds, so it's not too bad.

Plus it's petty.
29 août 2021 à 10 h 44
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,197
Why wait the 7 days ?

Bergy should laugh and say take him.

Embarrass Waddell who thought this was revenge.

Bergy can get the last troll if he makes a quick decision to let the Canes have the overpaid KK.

That's an extra 1st Rd pick added into the trade value. Remember the great bust Yakupov ended up getting traded for just a 3rd Rd'er.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 10 h 56
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,582
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
KKBA: Waddell is unbreakable

You can't break what's already broken. Waddell is a terrible GM that somehow has the ear of one of the best owners in hockey.

This move in isolation is odd, but not the worst. It's all the other nonsense that's just crazy. Ned? Skjei? Gardiner?
rollie1967 et ColonelX a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 11 h 16
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
I voted yes cuz this whole thing is hilarious.

31 likes lol
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 11 h 16
i do some shuff
Mentions "j'aime": 29
what about necas
29 août 2021 à 11 h 49
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,373
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
31 likes lol

A new personal best for sure, lol.
29 août 2021 à 12 h 0
flyersfan88
Mentions "j'aime": 7
I just want to know wtf Carolina is thinking here 6 mil for kk is to much maybe 3 mil but that might be pushing
29 août 2021 à 12 h 29
Drover006
So revenge is a part of it

But I guess canes wanted KK, Habs didn't want to trade him after some offers from canes so they OS him dumb money just to get him there with advance talks of a long term deal/situation with KK camp at lower amount. Makes sense. Can't trade for him buy him with a hint of revenge.

Still want to know what the trade offer was and how close it is to a 1st and a 3rd
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 13 h 12
I make Articals.
Mentions "j'aime": 368
LMAOOOO just noticed that there’s a signing bonus of 20 dollars.

20 is Aho’s number.

Thank you for pointing this out, Elliotte Friedman
29 août 2021 à 13 h 13
I make Articals.
Mentions "j'aime": 368
Quoting: hartsy
I just want to know wtf Carolina is thinking here 6 mil for kk is to much maybe 3 mil but that might be pushing

This is revenge for offer sheeting Aho.

Fun fact: The signing bonus is 20 dollars.

20 is Aho’s number.
29 août 2021 à 13 h 37
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,848
Quoting: SomethingLeafs
So revenge is a part of it

But I guess canes wanted KK, Habs didn't want to trade him after some offers from canes so they OS him dumb money just to get him there with advance talks of a long term deal/situation with KK camp at lower amount. Makes sense. Can't trade for him buy him with a hint of revenge.

Still want to know what the trade offer was and how close it is to a 1st and a 3rd

A first and a third gets you Nick Foligno at the deadline for a cup run. Not a 21yo 2/3c RFA who showed a ton on promise in a deep cup run. I think in a different system he's going to be really good. Just depends on what the next contract is to see how good the move really was.
HappyKampfers et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 13 h 45
Drover006
Quoting: Rangsey
A first and a third gets you Nick Foligno at the deadline for a cup run. Not a 21yo 2/3c RFA who showed a ton on promise in a deep cup run. I think in a different system he's going to be really good. Just depends on what the next contract is to see how good the move really was.

Next contract will be a decider and I also think he will play better under brindamour
Rangsey a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 14 h 23
Mentions "j'aime": 16
Such an epic troll using jersey numbers of Aho (20) KK (15). And surely will never backfire on Wadell, because its not like they have a player in CAR who wears #61 that Montreal might be interested in offer sheeting in a couple years...
29 août 2021 à 15 h 12
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
While funny this offer isnt good for hockey. It will kill any future offer sheets, and Im a little surprised Bettman hasnt squashed this offer, its far from professional behaviour on Waddells part. Montreal should take the picks and hope that Carolina tanks. I cant see KK resigning in Carolina when he has the opportunity to be an UFA years before he should be, so this is a 1 year rental, and it will cost a 1st, and 3rd....not a good trade off for Carolina.
ColonelX a aimé ceci.
29 août 2021 à 15 h 22
Drover006
Quoting: rollie1967
While funny this offer isnt good for hockey. It will kill any future offer sheets, and Im a little surprised Bettman hasnt squashed this offer, its far from professional behaviour on Waddells part. Montreal should take the picks and hope that Carolina tanks. I cant see KK resigning in Carolina when he has the opportunity to be an UFA years before he should be, so this is a 1 year rental, and it will cost a 1st, and 3rd....not a good trade off for Carolina.

don't think they can since canes had legit interest in KK and a extension is possible (likely imo) so not a rental

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage