Forums/Armchair-GM

Adding One More Defenseman Discussion

Créé par: BallPuckFellow10
Équipe: 2021-22 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 23 août 2021
Publié: 23 août 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I would love the Leafs to acquire on more quality defenseman to secure the blue line. As it currently stands, I don't think a 3rd pair of Sandin/Dermott/Liljegren is good enough to win the cup. I think Kyle Dubas has to add someone else here, especially as protection if someone gets hurt. This trade is based on what Columbus got last year for David Savard. I understand that people can argue that one or the other is better, but in reality, I think Savard and Murphy are seen to be pretty equal from GM's around the league. Columbus got a 1st and a 3rd in addition to retaining half of his salary. Tampa also used Detroit as a third party to retain 25% of his total salary (or 50% of what was remaining after the Columbus retention) and got a 4th round pick for doing so. I think the Leafs could make such a deal as well at the trade deadline. This obviously hangs on the Blackhawks being out the playoff picture and Murphy available on the market.

Below are other players I think would significantly improve the Leafs blue line going in to the post season that could be rentals if their respective teams are out of it:

- Parayko from STL. Constructing the deal the same way with retention from 2 teams would enable the Leafs to acquire him on cap hit of $1.375M. He could potentially be more expensive and the 3rd could be upgraded to a 2nd. STL might not want to commit long term to him due to his injury problems. Obviously contingent on STL not making the playoffs.

- Lindholm from ANA. Would come in at $1,301,389. Would likely fetch a similar return to Parayko. Maybe even a prospect as well. Has been Anaheim's #1D for the last 6 seasons. I am not sure if he fits their timeline with their rebuild, but I would imagine that they would like to resign him. He would be an insane addition. Long shot.

- Pulock from NYI. Would come in at $1.25M. This is an extreme long shot if the Islanders don't make the playoffs and don't want to commit to him. I can't see it happening and he would likely cost the same as what I proposed for Lindholm. Cannot stress enough how much of a long shot I think this is. Islanders would really have to suck this year for this to happen and decide that it isn't worth locking Pulock up long time.

- Ekholm from NSH. Would come in at $937.5K. If Nashville don't make the playoffs, I think he will be one of the main guys on all NHL trade bait lists. He would be an excellent add and could play on all three pairs. I feel as if competition will be high for his services and he could very well be more expensive than the price Columbus asked for Savard. a 1st round pick and a 2nd should be enough. A first and a 3rd would be more ideal or a 1st and a prospect not named Amirov, Robertson, Niemelä, Hirvonen, Liljegren or Knies.

- De Haan from CHI. Would come in at $1,137,500. I think he is worse than the 5 other players I have suggested but could possibly be the most realistic one. I also think he would come in cheaper than what Savard did last year. I think the Leafs have to go all-in this season and I think he is an upgrade on Dermott. I don't think Chicago gets a 1st for him. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd for the retention. I wouldn't mind him at all, but he would not be my first choice.

- I feel like I have to mention Colin Miller BUF ($968,750), Josh Manson ANA ($1.025M) and Chiarot MTL ($875K). These guys would be far down the pecking order and cheaper than the other guys. Their quality is obviously less as well. I can just see Miller with the Dubas/Keefe SOO connection, Manson because it has been rumored before that they were interested and Chiarot can become available if MTL are out of it. These guys would all be 3rd pairing guys and give Dermott/Sandin/Liljegren good competition. Not sure if they alone are enough to on paper at least make us one of the favorites for the cup. Edler, Zadorov and Cole are others that I am not 100% sold on if the would come available.

Taxi squad are player that are waiver exempt except for Engvall. In this scenario he would likely either be included in the trade or sent down. I just put him there to show that he was still in the system. Let me know what you think. Let's have some good discussions.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Murphy, Connor
1962 500 $
Transactions
TOR
    Connor Murphy with 50% retention.
    CHI
    1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2022 (TOR)
    2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (TOR)
    TOR
      Leafs get Connor Murphy Salary 25% retained from a third party and his final cap hit is $962,500.
      CHI
      1. Choix de 4e ronde en 2023 (TOR)
      Détails additionnels:
      Could be any team in the league that has enough cap space that want to add a ''free'' draft pick for retaining salary and being the third party in the deal.
      Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
      Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      Logo de TOR
      TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
      2181 500 000 $81 257 283 $0 $0 $242 717 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
      Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
      2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
      AG
      UFA - 2
      11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
      C
      UFA - 3
      10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
      AD
      UFA - 4
      6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
      AD
      UFA - 3
      11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
      C, AG
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
      AD
      UFA - 1
      3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
      AG, C, AD
      UFA - 2
      1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
      C
      UFA - 2
      1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
      AG, AD
      UFA - 1
      950 000 $950 000 $
      AG
      UFA - 2
      750 000 $750 000 $
      C, AD
      UFA - 1
      900 000 $900 000 $
      AD, AG
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
      5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
      DG
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
      DG/DD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
      G
      UFA - 1
      5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
      DG
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      Murphy, Connor
      962 500 $962 500 $
      3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      894 167 $894 167 $
      DG
      UFA - 1
      2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
      DD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
      1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
      DG/DD
      UFA - 2
      Équipe de réserve
      1 250 000 $1 250 000 $ (125 000 $$125K125 000 $$125K)
      AD, AG
      UFA - 1
      796 667 $796 667 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
      AG, AD
      RFA - 3
      825 000 $825 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
      C
      UFA - 1
      863 333 $863 333 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
      DD
      RFA - 1

Unités spéciales

Avantage numérique 1
      Avantage numérique 2
      Infériorité numérique 1
      Infériorité numérique 2
      Murphy, C.

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
      • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 30
      Rejoint: mai 2019
      Mentions "j'aime": 7,360
      Quoting: BallPuckFellow10
      Parayko has declined a lot not a little. Ask Blues fans that, and if they would be comfortable offering him an 8 year extension. I think most reasonable fans would say no. Parayko is not better now than what both of those two players were at the peak of their powers. Both of them have regressed now, but when Skjei was traded his value was very high and so was his reputation. Maybe not as high as Parayko's is now, but in the same ball park. As for Savard, you clearly never watched him play. 2 seasons ago he was literally the best defensive defenseman in the league, or close to that. That year Columbus upset and swept the big favorites Tampa. Savard was a huge part of that but all the credit obviously goes to Jones and Werenski and not him. I suggest you watch some of his clips from that year and look at his analytics. He was a beast.

who is talking about giving a guy who will be 29 this season an 8 year extension? that has nothing to do with how good he is now and his value at the deadline. Clearly you have never watched him play, 2 seasons ago he was quite good defensivly but never near best in the league status (what you saw was goaltending going nuts), The difference between him and Savard is that savard was never even a top end defensive guy, he's never been close to what parayko even is now and only excelled in tampa because they played him as a depth defender against weak comp. He was 6th in ice time behind Rutta during the playoffs.
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 35
      Démarrer sujet
      Rejoint: août 2020
      Mentions "j'aime": 471
      Quoting: IconicHawk
      So if the full cap hit is 3,850,000 why can’t the Blackhawks sign him for more then that it’s not like Fleury will resign with us next season

They can resign him in free agency. It would just be a good move for the Blackhawks to get assets for him if they are out of playoff contention and the possibly circling back for him in the summer. They also have Ian Mitchell coming up, someone who will continue to play on the third pair this year before it likely for him to take another step and becoming a 2nd pairing guy. Resigning Murphy could possibly stunt his path.
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 48
      Démarrer sujet
      Modifié 23 août 2021 à 17 h 24
      Quoting: JaredOfLondon
      who is talking about giving a guy who will be 29 this season an 8 year extension? that has nothing to do with how good he is now and his value at the deadline. Clearly you have never watched him play, 2 seasons ago he was quite good defensivly but never near best in the league status (what you saw was goaltending going nuts), The difference between him and Savard is that savard was never even a top end defensive guy, he's never been close to what parayko even is now and only excelled in tampa because they played him as a depth defender against weak comp. He was 6th in ice time behind Rutta during the playoffs.

Well, if the Blues are going to keep him they are going to extend him. He is likely going to ask for a long term deal or go to free agency. If he goes to free agency, the Blues loses him for nothing. This example is contingent on the Blues being out of the playoff picture. I don't think they trade him if they are in the mix. Parayko was never the number # 1 guy. Always a number #2. In Pietrangel'so last season with the Blues he declined a lot and even after becoming the Blues #1 defenseman he has struggled significantly. He was elite playing with Bouwmeester but has arguably struggled badly since he retired. The season I was referring to when his number were insane Bobrovsky had a .913 and Korpisalo had .897. Far from those goaltending stats you referred to as nuts. In the playoffs Bobrovsky was a .925 which is great but not nuts in any way. Savard wasn't asked to come to Tampa to play heavy minutes, he was asked to come in and play exceptionally in those few ones he got. The same would be expected for Parayko. He could play 2nd pair minutes with Muzzin or even on the third pair with Sandin if they don't want to change the current pairs.
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 53
      Rejoint: mars 2017
      Mentions "j'aime": 2,007
      when was the last time a defender as good as Parayko was moved at the deadline?

Shattenkirk? Be the closest I can come up with
      BallPuckFellow10 a aimé ceci.
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 54
      Rejoint: avr. 2017
      Mentions "j'aime": 9,322
      murphy is 'better' than those guys, but he still fills the same niche. Slow, zero ability to get the puck out of the zone and expensive for what he brings in both assets and cap hit, so he isnt a fit.
      And if Parayko goes for just slightly more than foligno did last year, i will be very very surprised.

Your assessment is terrible of Murphy, you don't know what you're talking in evaluating him
      23 août 2021 à 16 h 58
      I don't disagree at all. They could do this to really see who sticks long term, but it would also not really be fair to someone like Liljegren to never get a chance to play an extended run of games. But I see how you are thinking and don't think it is unrealistic at all.

This extended run you speak of is a result of seasons being cut short due to injury. His development was stalled.

Is he ready? Maybe. Just don't see the need to go big game hunting unless Reilly is involved. It will completely decimate the system, which is never good.

All you have to do is look at San Jose. Karlsson was one trade to many. Wiped out picks and any roster depth they had left. Gonna be a long road for them.

I don't want this in Toronto. Rebuilds happen. But the system has to he up and running for it to work in shorter order. What your throwing out here bites the Leafs in the a$$ in 3 years.
      oneX a aimé ceci.
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 1
      what? I said that he'd be worth it if the cost to get him was cheap, like a 6th rounder and not a hilarious over payment like a 1st rounder plus. He isnt near good enough nor does he move the needle remotly close to that value on top of him making way too much money for a guy who is, at best, as good as Justin Holl

You think Holl is better then Murphy? LMAO You are so not aware of who Murphy is. How many Blackhawks games did you watch last season? That's an honest question
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 1
      Quoting: ChiHawk
      Your assessment is terrible of Murphy, you don't know what you're talking in evaluating him

from how you talk about and evaluate leafs players i take that as a compliment
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 2
      You think Holl is better then Murphy? LMAO You are so not aware of who Murphy is. How many Blackhawks games did you watch last season? That's an honest question

probably about 25-30, clearly you arnt aware who Holl is. How many Leafs games did you watch last season? That's an honest question
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 4
      from how you talk about and evaluate leafs players i take that as a compliment

I actually watch a fair amount of Leafs games, second only to the Blackhawks. You clearly don't watch Murphy AT ALL. To suggest Holl is better then Murphy is laughable, but I'm not surprised coming from you....part of the Leaf fans problems on here.
      TheFlamingC a aimé ceci.
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 4
      probably about 25-30, clearly you arnt aware who Holl is. How many Leafs games did you watch last season? That's an honest question

You are FULL OF IT....as usual. Not even worth responding to with the ignorant comments you're making on here about Murphy...I'm done
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 7
      Démarrer sujet
      Quoting: swinny
      This extended run you speak of is a result of seasons being cut short due to injury. His development was stalled.

Is he ready? Maybe. Just don't see the need to go big game hunting unless Reilly is involved. It will completely decimate the system, which is never good.

All you have to do is look at San Jose. Karlsson was one trade to many. Wiped out picks and any roster depth they had left. Gonna be a long road for them.

I don't want this in Toronto. Rebuilds happen. But the system has to he up and running for it to work in shorter order. What your throwing out here bites the Leafs in the a$$ in 3 years.

Fair point. I just don't think it really is the same as the Sharks situation. I don't see the Leafs resigning any of these players unless Rielly walks. This is just primary as playoff insurance. And in the Sharks case, they had two elite offensive defenseman that kind of took away the spot light from each other. The guys I suggested would be defense first type of players which should be easier to fit in as they don't need their cookies (points) like offensive defenseman do. I just really believe they are there with one more solid defenseman addition. I understand if people disagree and can prove why they do, just like you have done.
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 13
      Démarrer sujet
      Shattenkirk? Be the closest I can come up with

Yes, and that trade is pretty much exactly what I said, a 1st, 2nd and a prospect (Sanford was far from what he is today). There where some other pieces in the deal as well, but that was the the base of the trade.
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 23
      I actually watch a fair amount of Leafs games, second only to the Blackhawks. You clearly don't watch Murphy AT ALL. To suggest Holl is better then Murphy is laughable, but I'm not surprised coming from you....part of the Leaf fans problems on here.

Clearly you dont watch eithet player if you disagree with me, such a laughable position, but im not surprised coming from uou
      ...part of thr hawks fans problems on here.
      23 août 2021 à 17 h 23
      You are FULL OF IT....as usual. Not even worth responding to with the ignorant comments you're making on here about Murphy...I'm done

You should try watching the games, then you'd know what you are talking about
      23 août 2021 à 19 h 22
      Rejoint: mars 2019
      Mentions "j'aime": 2,622

Are those guys worth bringing in over giving Liljegren a chance as the 7th D option? In my personal opinion, I don't think so. I think they should go big and try to land one of the big boys. This might be their last run with this forward core as well as our defensive core with Rielly, Muzzin and Brodie. I think this is the year to go all in and if we only have two draft picks in next years draft, I personally would be fine with it. I think Dubas would have done his job and all the blame for a failure should be on either the coach or players depending on how we would lose.

I'm quite late to this discussion but I want to start off by saying that regardless of how you feel about options from other teams, I don't believe Lilijegren is as good as you or other Leafs fans think. He is a good option for filling in for a few games here and there because of injuries but as a regular? Nope not IMO.

Also I know I'm going to take heat for saying this much like @Laudan has for a while, but whatever, Holl is really a 3rd pair D on a true contender. This is why I feel the defence needs improvement.

Your thoughts?
      23 août 2021 à 19 h 39
      Démarrer sujet
      Quoting: oneX
      I'm quite late to this discussion but I want to start off by saying that regardless of how you feel about options from other teams, I don't believe Lilijegren is as good as you or other Leafs fans think. He is a good option for filling in for a few games here and there because of injuries but as a regular? Nope not IMO.

Also I know I'm going to take heat for saying this much like Laudan has for a while, but whatever, Holl is really a 3rd pair D on a true contender. This is why I feel the defence needs improvement.

Your thoughts?

Firstly, thanks for posting!
      I have to say that I disagree with your analysis on Liljegren. I think he is ready to be an NHL defenseman. He has matured a lot since he came over, he has had time to grow into his body (Search up pictures of how big he has become) and he has also been a bit unlucky with injuries and having people in front of him. I agree that 2 seasons ago, he didn't really look ready, but at the AHL level he has been so dominant. I really suggest you go and watch his highlights. He controls the game very well. I think peoples expectation of him being a dynamic offensive presence is wrong. He is solid defensively and kills penalties. He is going to be a solid puck mover and likely caps out as #4 defenseman on a good team in his prime. For the time being, I think he is fine as a 3rd pairing guy. Last year he was arguably ready as well. He only got to play two games but looked really good doing so. Bogosian was obviously ahead of him on the right side and he couldn't get ahead of Sandin or Dermott on the left. I think he would be fine this season as the 7th option and becoming a regular top 6 player in the 2022-2023 season. I like his game a lot. He isn't fast but is a smooth skater, has great stick checking ability and reads the game well. He moves the puck exceptionally well but I think early on he wasn't decisive enough. That has now changed. Before last season John Tavares said on an interview that Liljegren was the player that impressed him the most during camp. Just unfortunate that he never really got a chance.

As for Justin Holl, I tend to agree with you. He really improved when he got the confidence to be an NHL regular and took that chance with both hands. He has looked fine next to Muzzin and was solid 2 seasons ago and was solid again overall this year. He started the season on fire and was awesome but slowed down and looked worse the further the season went along. I don't know if that was a fatigue issue. He averaged 21:04 last season on a defense that was tied for the 7th best in the whole league. I think he is capable of playing top 4 minutes, especially with a partner like Muzzin, however, if we are to go the whole way, he would be awesome to have on the 3rd pair with Sandin. I really think the Leafs should go all in on a top 4 defenseman this year either early on if they become available or at the TDL.

Again, thanks for posting, looking forward to your response.
      oneX a aimé ceci.
      23 août 2021 à 20 h 51
      Fair point. I just don't think it really is the same as the Sharks situation. I don't see the Leafs resigning any of these players unless Rielly walks. This is just primary as playoff insurance. And in the Sharks case, they had two elite offensive defenseman that kind of took away the spot light from each other. The guys I suggested would be defense first type of players which should be easier to fit in as they don't need their cookies (points) like offensive defenseman do. I just really believe they are there with one more solid defenseman addition. I understand if people disagree and can prove why they do, just like you have done.

You don't go big game hunting and move assets like that without wanting lock them up. After Fpligno, that won't sit well with the more intelligent fan base.

I respect where you are coming from. @oneX has pointed out Holl is really a 3rd paring guy on other contending teams (or maybe he is rhe Marc Methot type?) Sure he could be upgraded. But, that isn't something you do with picks at this point.

That's an upgrade made by moving Marner. But that opens up the whole Big 4 debate lol
      oneX a aimé ceci.
      23 août 2021 à 21 h 3
      Démarrer sujet
      You don't go big game hunting and move assets like that without wanting lock them up. After Fpligno, that won't sit well with the more intelligent fan base.

I respect where you are coming from. oneX has pointed out Holl is really a 3rd paring guy on other contending teams (or maybe he is rhe Marc Methot type?) Sure he could be upgraded. But, that isn't something you do with picks at this point.

That's an upgrade made by moving Marner. But that opens up the whole Big 4 debate lol

I think someone like Murphy could be extended and be used in the top 4 on a cheaper deal than Rielly would command. I think it would be smart move to get a replacement before they hit the open market. I don't think they have to move anyone from the core this year I think they should go all in. They could possible add some late round picks if they trade away Rielly's rights if they know they won't resign him and also get draft assets from someone like Kerfoot and replace him in free agency. I think the Leafs 100% should go for something like this.

I appreciate your concern for spending big, it can go really wrong, but Tampa has proved it can be done if you do it correctly on the right type of players.
      oneX a aimé ceci.
      24 août 2021 à 1 h 46
      Rejoint: mars 2019
      Mentions "j'aime": 2,622
      Firstly, thanks for posting!
      I have to say that I disagree with your analysis on Liljegren. I think he is ready to be an NHL defenseman. He has matured a lot since he came over, he has had time to grow into his body (Search up pictures of how big he has become) and he has also been a bit unlucky with injuries and having people in front of him. I agree that 2 seasons ago, he didn't really look ready, but at the AHL level he has been so dominant. I really suggest you go and watch his highlights. He controls the game very well. I think peoples expectation of him being a dynamic offensive presence is wrong. He is solid defensively and kills penalties. He is going to be a solid puck mover and likely caps out as #4 defenseman on a good team in his prime. For the time being, I think he is fine as a 3rd pairing guy. Last year he was arguably ready as well. He only got to play two games but looked really good doing so. Bogosian was obviously ahead of him on the right side and he couldn't get ahead of Sandin or Dermott on the left. I think he would be fine this season as the 7th option and becoming a regular top 6 player in the 2022-2023 season. I like his game a lot. He isn't fast but is a smooth skater, has great stick checking ability and reads the game well. He moves the puck exceptionally well but I think early on he wasn't decisive enough. That has now changed. Before last season John Tavares said on an interview that Liljegren was the player that impressed him the most during camp. Just unfortunate that he never really got a chance.

As for Justin Holl, I tend to agree with you. He really improved when he got the confidence to be an NHL regular and took that chance with both hands. He has looked fine next to Muzzin and was solid 2 seasons ago and was solid again overall this year. He started the season on fire and was awesome but slowed down and looked worse the further the season went along. I don't know if that was a fatigue issue. He averaged 21:04 last season on a defense that was tied for the 7th best in the whole league. I think he is capable of playing top 4 minutes, especially with a partner like Muzzin, however, if we are to go the whole way, he would be awesome to have on the 3rd pair with Sandin. I really think the Leafs should go all in on a top 4 defenseman this year either early on if they become available or at the TDL.

Again, thanks for posting, looking forward to your response.

Lilijegren has looked fantastic in the AHL and that's great but the Leafs need him to be fantastic at NHL level and that has not happened. Both Lilijegren and Sandin struggled with the physical play at the NHL level every time they were in the lineup and that is something that has to improve if either of these guys are going to factor into the Leafs playoffs success. I remember the last shift Sandin had in the playoffs vs Montreal and it just wasn't good enough.

If you agree that the team is in "win-now" mode, the team definitely can't afford shifts like last one Sandin had. This is exactly why I'm not brimming with confidence around the D core.

Holl has improved alot over the last 3 seasons but I still feel that on a true contender he's a 3rd pair D but he's playing 2nd pair minutes, it is what it is. Perhaps Dubas has to take some blame for not rounding out the team better overall but right now this D core doesn't seem like Stanley Cup caliber.
      BallPuckFellow10 a aimé ceci.
      24 août 2021 à 5 h 20
      Démarrer sujet
      Quoting: oneX
      Lilijegren has looked fantastic in the AHL and that's great but the Leafs need him to be fantastic at NHL level and that has not happened. Both Lilijegren and Sandin struggled with the physical play at the NHL level every time they were in the lineup and that is something that has to improve if either of these guys are going to factor into the Leafs playoffs success. I remember the last shift Sandin had in the playoffs vs Montreal and it just wasn't good enough.

If you agree that the team is in "win-now" mode, the team definitely can't afford shifts like last one Sandin had. This is exactly why I'm not brimming with confidence around the D core.

Holl has improved alot over the last 3 seasons but I still feel that on a true contender he's a 3rd pair D but he's playing 2nd pair minutes, it is what it is. Perhaps Dubas has to take some blame for not rounding out the team better overall but right now this D core doesn't seem like Stanley Cup caliber.

I agree with your concerns over Sandin and Liljegren's lack of ability to deal with the physicality of the playoffs. However, I think this past season was a great learning tool for Sandin. He will be bigger when he comes in for camp and better equipped to deal with that physical presence. I don't really have any problems with him, I just think it what the natural progression looks like for a player like him. As for Liljegren, he did look good in those two games. If you search up pictures from him this summer, you will see how much he has bulked up. He is now equipped with an NHL frame which is great to see. He will be good as a 7th option this year IMO.

I don't disagree with what you are saying regarding Holl. He can play top 4 minutes but maybe is better equipped to play on the third pair. This is why I am suggesting that the Leafs go all in on a top 4 defenseman to secure that backend. Ekholm is someone that should be available this season and is also someone I would love the Leafs to go after.
      24 août 2021 à 13 h 39
      hey look a squirrel
      Rejoint: mai 2018
      Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
      Before now I never stopped to check how bad defensively the Hawks have been.
      If you dont know, go look.

Like it or not, Murphy is part of that.
      Yes he is not the only D on the Hawks but if was good, wouldnt that be reflected on the team defense?

Best part is they just added a defensive black hole in Jones.
      Maybe he will better Chicago than he was the last two years in Columbus.

I would like the Leafs to add a defensive guy to the Leafs for depth, who that is not an easy answer due to our cap restraints.
      oneX a aimé ceci.
      24 août 2021 à 14 h 8
      Démarrer sujet
      Quoting: Trickster
      Before now I never stopped to check how bad defensively the Hawks have been.
      If you dont know, go look.

Like it or not, Murphy is part of that.
      Yes he is not the only D on the Hawks but if was good, wouldnt that be reflected on the team defense?

Best part is they just added a defensive black hole in Jones.
      Maybe he will better Chicago than he was the last two years in Columbus.

I would like the Leafs to add a defensive guy to the Leafs for depth, who that is not an easy answer due to our cap restraints.

I can see them make the exact same trade for Ekholm as I have made here for Murphy. I works out pretty much the exact same way as Ekholm is $50K cheaper than Murphy. Could even see the Leafs upgrade the 3rd to a 2nd as I believe Ekholm is the superior defenseman. I would absolutely love a defensive addition of quality rather than someone that is of the same level as Dermott.
      oneX a aimé ceci.

Répondre
      To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
      Question:
      Options:
      Ajouter une option
      Soumettre le sondage