Forums/Armchair-GM

Lets Have A Discussion

Créé par: BallPuckFellow10
Équipe: 2021-22 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 23 août 2021
Publié: 23 août 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
This is likely what the Leafs roster will look like to start the season. Two first lines look really solid and should have the ability to once again carry the Leafs to the playoffs. 3rd line is put together to be the Leafs version of a shutdown line. I think someone like Semyonov will get a chance playing on this line as well. He is an excellent defensive center and has played such a role in the KHL. He has good experience and is excellent on draws. 60% last year on 817 draws and 59% two seasons ago on 953 draws in the KHL. Hopefully that 4th line can give the Leafs some good secondary scoring. Spezza has provided that for 2 seasons and Simmonds looked really good playing that role before he hurt his wrist. Bunting can work his way up the lineup, but I like the fit here with Spezza and Simmonds to start the season. Our defense is pretty much the same with the exception of Bogosian leaving. I think Liljegren will get his chances this year and hopefully he can take them. His play has matured so much since he came over and he now has an NHL body. He looks like a beast, I would love if he could play on that 3rd pair with Sandin. I really like our goaltending situation. Two really good goalies that should give us the chance to win every night. If both stay healthy, we won't need to ride anyone until the playoffs, meaning that we can have two good fresh goaltenders next postseason. They are not going to win the Vezina, but they should at least provide us league average goaltending.

On to the elephant in the room, a 21 man roster. I don't think it is ideal at all, but without any further trades, this is likely what the Leafs are faced with. Sandin, Robertson, Semyonov and Liljegren are all waiver exempt thus why I put the three latter on the taxi squad to show that the likely will be called up and down like a yoyo to get reps in with the big club. Guys like Brooks, Amadio, Anderson, Gabriel, Dahlström, Biega and Menell and Hutchinson who all are NHL calibre players will likely be put on waivers before opening night. Hopefully all of them can pass. All teams in the league are in the exact same situation with players that are bordering an NHL roster spot. I don't think you should be too worried about losing these players, but there always is a risk.

What I would do if I were Dubas? I think I definitely would look to move both Engvall and Dermott's salary for an upgrade on defense on that 3rd pair. This is something the Leafs can do in-season after a month or closer to the deadline. I just think they need one more solid defenseman to make this team look really good (On paper at least). Dermott and Engvall combine for a salary of $2.75M which means that the Leafs could target someone at $5.5M and below at 50% retained to secure the backend. As for Morgan Rielly, I think the ship for trading him has sailed. They should have done it before July 28th or tried to extend him right around when Heiskanen got his deal. He is now likely going to be our own rental this year. Hopefully we have enough success in the post season to convince him to stay on a team friendly deal. I am thinking somewhere around the $7M-$7.75M range. I don't think the Leafs can go higher than that. Time will tell with this one. There will be other free agents next summer that can replace Rielly. I think someone like Ekholm coming in on a cheaper AAV next summer could have a similar impact as Brodie had. That wouldn't be the worst replacement although he stylistically is different from Rielly. Parayko, Lindholm and Murphy are other top 4 defenseman I think the Leafs could look at next summer. Klingberg would be cool, but he will likely be in the Morgan Rielly price bracket. There also is the possibility of a trade for a replacement. It would be very interesting to see who they target.

Side Note
I just wanted to touch on the Leafs prospect situation. I see a lot of people saying that we don't have any prospects etc. That is just simply not true. I am not going to name drop every single prospect, but since Dubas took over as GM on May 11th 2018. He has had 4 drafts. in 2018 he drafted 9 players, in 2019 he drafted 6 players, in 2020 he drafted 12 players and this past draft he added 3 players. In total, that is 30 prospects added while an average team that has 7 selections per draft would have added 28 prospects. Our prospect pool isn't the best in the league, but it also isn't the worst. I don't think Sandin is classed as a prospect anymore due to his experience in the NHL already, but we have really good prospects like Robertson, Amirov, Niemälä, Hirvonen, Abruzzese, Knies, Miettinen and Abramov that Dubas has added, as well as Liljegren who was drafted in 2017 before he was appointed GM. This upcoming draft we only have 3 picks, but this could change very quickly. We might trade the 1st round pick for an NHL player this season, but we are likely to add more mid to high round picks. I think Dubas has got a lot of unfair criticism for having our prospect pool ''empty'' which is such a casual take from someone who only think prospects are players taken in the first or second round.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I love having discussions with you guys.
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2181 500 000 $81 419 783 $0 $0 $80 217 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 2
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 3
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 4
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 3
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 4
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 2
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 2
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 2
1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
NTC
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 1
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
3 800 000 $3 800 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Équipe de réserve
796 667 $796 667 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
AG, AD
RFA - 3
825 000 $825 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
C
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
DD
RFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
23 août 2021 à 12 h 30
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
Quoting: BallPuckFellow10
I think they are good shutdown options, but I think Kerfoot is versatile and can provide more scoring as well as being defensively sound than both Mikheyev and Engvall. But there is definitely and argument to be held. I personally really like Kerfoot and can see him scoring 15 goals and 45 points playing on the top 6. It can be argued that there is better value to be found if he plays on the 3rd line.

I think he could score more in the top 6 but I think Kase could be better up there and the other options could provide value as well. From a defensive standpoint, both Engvall and Mikheyev are just as good as Kerfoot but are bigger and make less than him combined. Two guys vs 1, is an easy choice unless you are talking true difference makers and none of the 3 are true difference makers. So having two useful guys for less than 1 usefully guys is an easy choice.
BallPuckFellow10, Trickster et oneX a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 12 h 30
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 471
Quoting: GenXHockey
You have the D depth sitting in the taxi squad. Lilly is ready to go. My opinion is Engvall is moved and leafs keep the cap down to accrue space till the inevitable ltir coming this season.

I don't think they need better depth. I think they need an upgrade on Dermott. Sandin won't be traded as he is seen as the future. That leaves either Dermott or Holl. I think Holl has done more than Dermott to keep his spot and not been moved. I don't think they go for someone of the same quality as Dermott, instead they go for someone that is an improvement. I am going to take Connor Murphy from Chicago as an example. If the Blackhawks doesn't make the playoffs, I could see them going after someone like him. He could play on all three pairings and would be a significant upgrade on Dermott.
Trickster et oneX a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 12 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I think he could score more in the top 6 but I think Kase could be better up there and the other options could provide value as well. From a defensive standpoint, both Engvall and Mikheyev are just as good as Kerfoot but are bigger and make less than him combined. Two guys vs 1, is an easy choice unless you are talking true difference makers and none of the 3 are true difference makers. So having two useful guys for less than 1 usefully guys is an easy choice.

Very fair reasoning. I don't disagree at all. All depends on how the lines are constructed. Beauty is that nobody has to be traded at camp to make us cap compliant. They can see how it goes and then take it from there. I think it is a very good situation to be in.
PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood et oneX a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 12 h 37
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,171
As an outsider with limited knowledge of your team and farm system, my only useful comment is: This is a great post, and a great way to use CapFriendly. I have reread the original Team Description and each comment several times in an effort to absorb the info and opinions expressed here. It also gives me some insight into how much weight should be given to evaluations expressed by each guy commenting here in the future. To the OP: I really admire your construction of this effort. I wish we still had the old "5-star" rating system for posts, 'cause this would get the highest grade from me. Thanks.
BallPuckFellow10, Trickster, PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 12 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: OldNYIfan
As an outsider with limited knowledge of your team and farm system, my only useful comment is: This is a great post, and a great way to use CapFriendly. I have reread the original Team Description and each comment several times in an effort to absorb the info and opinions expressed here. It also gives me some insight into how much weight should be given to evaluations expressed by each guy commenting here in the future. To the OP: I really admire your construction of this effort. I wish we still had the old "5-star" rating system for posts, 'cause this would get the highest grade from me. Thanks.

Thank you for saying that and for also taking your time to read everything before making a comment! I agree with you, I think this is a good way to utilize this great feature CapFriendly have given us. I think it is fun to have discussions with people and take their input to try to broaden your view. That is what is all is about in my opinion. I have seen many great posts on this website and it is unfortunate that you can't rate them anymore.
OldNYIfan et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 13 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: swinny
Murphy is fantastic. Issue maybe having the trade capital to get him..... gotta think other teams will be in on that too. Lack of picks handcuffs Dubas this season trying to add. And I would be reluctant to dive too far into the prospect pool.

I would think the package for him would be very similar to what Columbus got for Savard. A 1st, and 3rd and 50% retention plus and additional 4th for another 50% retention from a third party team. I honestly think it is worth it. I think the Leafs are in win now mode and Dubas can't be faulted for going all in with this team.
23 août 2021 à 14 h 12
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
From what I have seen online, take that for what it is worth, Kase will be starting the year on LTIR. I believe the Leafs looked at him the same way they did Galchenyuk last year, a reclamation project to get his career back on tracks after dealing with concussions. If/when healthy, IMO he could provide some really good secondary scoring but who know when that could be.

I am also a fan of Seymonov, he could be a very useful 4th line C and if Mikheyev is still here, hopefully the two of them can rekindle some chemistry from playing together in the KHL. He was a very good at taking draws and killing PK. But no offense at all. But since he does not require waivers I see him starting with the Mariles and eventually called up once he is used to the smaller ice and speed of the NA game. He is 26 years old and coming from a KHL championship team, he didn't sign here to just play with the Marlies.

Out this list you just mentioned, Brooks, Amadio, Anderson, Gabriel, Dahlström, Biega and Menell and Hutchinson, Anderson absolutely gets claimed. If he doesn't win a roster spot out of camp I see him getting traded so they don't lose him for nothing. IMO Menell is a real darkhorse to make this team as the 7th D.

Could not agree more, they completely missed the boat on any Rielly deal, it should have happened at the draft. Only LA and the NYI need a top pairing LD right now and both are also right up against the cap.
I am in the minority but it is a mistake to just let him walk for nothing. I also don't see how an Rielly extension could even work next year without a big contract being moved out. Besides, the Leafs dogged a bullet by not committing 7-8 years to Hyman. Giving Rielly 7+ years would also be a bad mistake. If his skating or offensive production every go, that contract will age terribly.

IMO Kerfoot is the one who will be dealt with a new 3C, either a vet like Brassard or Staal, or for someone who needs a fresh start. I like really like Kerfoot in the top 6 as a LW but they have Bunting and Ritichie for that. Plus once Roberston is ready you have him as a LW option also. And IMO a 4th line of Engvall Kampf Mikheyev would be really good.

As for the prospects, it is one of the best in the NHL, top 8 IMO. But I think when people talk about it being bad, I think they are refereeing to there is no prospect that is breaking down the door to play. There is no Nylander, Hyman, Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Engvall, Moore, all guys who spent time with the Marlies and came in to contribute. But give it a year, two, three, and it will be back to that. Guys like Roberston, Gogolev, Anderson, soon but eventually Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemela, Miettinen, Abramov, Abruzzese, Koster, SDA, Holmberg, Knies, Voit. Obviously some of these guys could get traded or not pan out but the farm system Dubas built is really strong. I am hopefully one of James Hardie, Jacob Guevin, or Taylor Gauthier gets an ELC from the Leafs. All at the developmental camp.
BallPuckFellow10 et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 14 h 37
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,007
I would think the package for him would be very similar to what Columbus got for Savard. A 1st, and 3rd and 50% retention plus and additional 4th for another 50% retention from a third party team. I honestly think it is worth it. I think the Leafs are in win now mode and Dubas can't be faulted for going all in with this team.

I know he is worth it, but this thought process is what the Leafs generally did during the Sundin-Gilmour Era..... and earlier. The system was NEVER great, always thin, and the team relied on $$$ and picks to stay competitve.

I think there is far more value at this point retaining those picks (the 3 left) to make sure the system remains as robust as possible. Need young players to come into the lineup to offsetcap issues.

Where I see Murphy as an ideal trafe candidate, and yes, win now more is now, Dubas blew the load last year, and now must take a year off in the bigger sense to recoup that pick depth.
BallPuckFellow10, oneX et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 14 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: MatthewsFan
From what I have seen online, take that for what it is worth, Kase will be starting the year on LTIR. I believe the Leafs looked at him the same way they did Galchenyuk last year, a reclamation project to get his career back on tracks after dealing with concussions. If/when healthy, IMO he could provide some really good secondary scoring but who know when that could be.

I am also a fan of Seymonov, he could be a very useful 4th line C and if Mikheyev is still here, hopefully the two of them can rekindle some chemistry from playing together in the KHL. He was a very good at taking draws and killing PK. But no offense at all. But since he does not require waivers I see him starting with the Mariles and eventually called up once he is used to the smaller ice and speed of the NA game. He is 26 years old and coming from a KHL championship team, he didn't sign here to just play with the Marlies.

Out this list you just mentioned, Brooks, Amadio, Anderson, Gabriel, Dahlström, Biega and Menell and Hutchinson, Anderson absolutely gets claimed. If he doesn't win a roster spot out of camp I see him getting traded so they don't lose him for nothing. IMO Menell is a real darkhorse to make this team as the 7th D.

Could not agree more, they completely missed the boat on any Rielly deal, it should have happened at the draft. Only LA and the NYI need a top pairing LD right now and both are also right up against the cap.
I am in the minority but it is a mistake to just let him walk for nothing. I also don't see how an Rielly extension could even work next year without a big contract being moved out. Besides, the Leafs dogged a bullet by not committing 7-8 years to Hyman. Giving Rielly 7+ years would also be a bad mistake. If his skating or offensive production every go, that contract will age terribly.

IMO Kerfoot is the one who will be dealt with a new 3C, either a vet like Brassard or Staal, or for someone who needs a fresh start. I like really like Kerfoot in the top 6 as a LW but they have Bunting and Ritichie for that. Plus once Roberston is ready you have him as a LW option also. And IMO a 4th line of Engvall Kampf Mikheyev would be really good.

As for the prospects, it is one of the best in the NHL, top 8 IMO. But I think when people talk about it being bad, I think they are refereeing to there is no prospect that is breaking down the door to play. There is no Nylander, Hyman, Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Engvall, Moore, all guys who spent time with the Marlies and came in to contribute. But give it a year, two, three, and it will be back to that. Guys like Roberston, Gogolev, Anderson, soon but eventually Amirov, Hirvonen, Niemela, Miettinen, Abramov, Abruzzese, Koster, SDA, Holmberg, Knies, Voit. Obviously some of these guys could get traded or not pan out but the farm system Dubas built is really strong. I am hopefully one of James Hardie, Jacob Guevin, or Taylor Gauthier gets an ELC from the Leafs. All at the developmental camp.

I completely agree with almost everything you have said, makes a lot of sense. However, regarding additions as 3C, Brassard doesn't really play centre anymore and I don't think Staal has enough gas in the tank to be our 3C. I think Kerfoot very well could play there and should not be moved for either of those two guys you suggested. I simply don't think they are good enough and the Leafs shouldn't really look to downgrade in any position unless something else much better comes in elsewhere.

Thanks for your contribution, I really value your insight!
Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 15 h 11
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
I completely agree with almost everything you have said, makes a lot of sense. However, regarding additions as 3C, Brassard doesn't really play centre anymore and I don't think Staal has enough gas in the tank to be our 3C. I think Kerfoot very well could play there and should not be moved for either of those two guys you suggested. I simply don't think they are good enough and the Leafs shouldn't really look to downgrade in any position unless something else much better comes in elsewhere.

Thanks for your contribution, I really value your insight!

No doubt, Brassard played the majority of his mins with ARI on the LW. But he was over 50% taking 400+ faceoffs. The ideal fit would be to get someone like Jaret Anderson Dolan, Sam Steel, Boone Jenner, Nick Paul, Noel Acciari, Jesper Boqvist, guys who are lower on other teams depth charts and could be passed over by incoming rookies.

I am a fan of Kerfoot but at LW, he is not a true 3C, he is miscast in that role IMO for the Leafs. Plus that 3.5mil could go a long way for this team. Then you keep depth; Dermott, Engvall, Mikheyev
oneX et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 15 h 44
hey look a squirrel
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
Very well thought out ACGM and some excellent comments and discussion in here.

I think people overlooking Kase injury issues.
He may very well not be everyday player, there is reason why Boston let him go.

I wonder if he starts the year on LTIR.

My initial thoughts was to Kerfoot on LW with Tavares and Marner/Nylander but if you want some balanced scoring on this team Kerfoot will need to be the 3C.

I am more wanting Bunting in top 6 FW role over Ritchie.
Bunting is the Hyman replacement as far as I'm concerned.

If Kase is healthy, I'm not sure what to do with Mikheyev.
Mikheyev had alot of opportunities to put the puck in the net and couldn't do it.
Could he bounce back? Maybe, but he will need to change how he is doing things.

Engvall, I am a fan of him as bottom 6 FW.
He is speedy and has size, plays defensive responsible.

I will add more thoughts in another post
BallPuckFellow10 et oneX a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 16 h 3
hey look a squirrel
Regarding our D, I'm worried.

Sandin got exposed in playoffs.
He is not ready to replace Rielly, for now I'd have him in 3rd pair with some PP time.
That's it.

Liljergen looked lost when he was on the ice playing for the Leafs, he might slot in at times when injuries happen

Dermott is solid as 3rd pair option.
I was hoping by now he would have taken a bigger step but as of now he has not.

I would to see Dubas add Demers at 900K for the year for depth.

Mzraek, he was truthfully my 4th choice at best.
I would preferred giving assets to acquire Vanecek OR Georgiev.
The lower cap hit would have helped with adding better guys here and there.

I really wanted Janmark for example.
Cant believe he signed for 2 million only.
BallPuckFellow10 et oneX a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 16 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: MatthewsFan
No doubt, Brassard played the majority of his mins with ARI on the LW. But he was over 50% taking 400+ faceoffs. The ideal fit would be to get someone like Jaret Anderson Dolan, Sam Steel, Boone Jenner, Nick Paul, Noel Acciari, Jesper Boqvist, guys who are lower on other teams depth charts and could be passed over by incoming rookies.

I am a fan of Kerfoot but at LW, he is not a true 3C, he is miscast in that role IMO for the Leafs. Plus that 3.5mil could go a long way for this team. Then you keep depth; Dermott, Engvall, Mikheyev

I like some of the players you mentioned, but I don't think Boqvist or JAD are good enough to be our 3C. I like the other players you mentioned a lot tho. I think Kerfoot can perform well as a LW either in our top 6 or top 9. I agree that he has kind of been shoehorned into a role as 3C anchor. Something he clearly isn't.
23 août 2021 à 16 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Trickster
Very well thought out ACGM and some excellent comments and discussion in here.

I think people overlooking Kase injury issues.
He may very well not be everyday player, there is reason why Boston let him go.

I wonder if he starts the year on LTIR.

My initial thoughts was to Kerfoot on LW with Tavares and Marner/Nylander but if you want some balanced scoring on this team Kerfoot will need to be the 3C.

I am more wanting Bunting in top 6 FW role over Ritchie.
Bunting is the Hyman replacement as far as I'm concerned.

If Kase is healthy, I'm not sure what to do with Mikheyev.
Mikheyev had alot of opportunities to put the puck in the net and couldn't do it.
Could he bounce back? Maybe, but he will need to change how he is doing things.

Engvall, I am a fan of him as bottom 6 FW.
He is speedy and has size, plays defensive responsible.

I will add more thoughts in another post

Regarding our D, I'm worried.

Sandin got exposed in playoffs.
He is not ready to replace Rielly, for now I'd have him in 3rd pair with some PP time.
That's it.

Liljergen looked lost when he was on the ice playing for the Leafs, he might slot in at times when injuries happen

Dermott is solid as 3rd pair option.
I was hoping by now he would have taken a bigger step but as of now he has not.

I would to see Dubas add Demers at 900K for the year for depth.

Mzraek, he was truthfully my 4th choice at best.
I would preferred giving assets to acquire Vanecek OR Georgiev.
The lower cap hit would have helped with adding better guys here and there.

I really wanted Janmark for example.
Cant believe he signed for 2 million only.

Thanks for your contribution to this discussion!
You have some very interesting points and I think they lineup will be fluid. Bunting will get his chance higher up in the lineup for sure! If Kase is hurt it almost ''helps'' to solve the pulse a little bit more. He might very well just be a gamble and not ready to play once the season starts. Even if he comes in during the year it would be like free piece to add to the puzzle. If he is out I would like to see something like this:

Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Bunting/Engvall-Kämpf-Mikheyev
Bunting/Engvall/Brook-Spezza-Simmonds

As for defense, I agree that they got a bit exposed, especially when Muzzin went down. I don't think Demers moves the needle enough and think that Liljegren should get a chance ahead of him. I didn't think Liljegren looked that bad in those two games he played last year. He completely controlled the game at AHL level and should be ready to go. If not, well maybe it is time to look to move on from him. Dermott is a fine 3rd pairing guy, but I don't ever think he will be a top 4 guy. He will be a reliable 3rd pairing guy which is fine. As for the goalies, I think they maybe could have shave a couple of $100K on the Mrazek contract, but it is what it is. Janmark would have been a nice add. but clearly he liked it in Vegas and wanted to go back there.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 17 h 49
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,624
This was a good read!
It's hard to find thoughtful discussion on Capfriendly when 98% of it is filled with trolling and toxicity.

On Morgan Rielly: I agree with you that the ship has sailed on trading him because now teams have spent their cap space and it will be incredibly hard to find a trade(s) where you move Rielly but still add someone who plays as much as he does.
Dubas had to have done some homework long before the NHL draft and traded him at the draft if an extension isn't happening.

I'm not nearly as happy as some of you guys are about the defence. It definitely needs improvement.

Overall, I think the Leafs can do 21 man rosters for home games as the Marlies across the street in terms of calling up/down players but when on the road that's much harder to accomplish. At the very least, a 22 man roster is more realistic.

I wonder what @Sign_em_up000000 thinks of some of the thoughts presented in this thread.
BallPuckFellow10 et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 août 2021 à 18 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: oneX
This was a good read!
It's hard to find thoughtful discussion on Capfriendly when 98% of it is filled with trolling and toxicity.

On Morgan Rielly: I agree with you that the ship has sailed on trading him because now teams have spent their cap space and it will be incredibly hard to find a trade(s) where you move Rielly but still add someone who plays as much as he does.
Dubas had to have done some homework long before the NHL draft and traded him at the draft if an extension isn't happening.

I'm not nearly as happy as some of you guys are about the defence. It definitely needs improvement.

Overall, I think the Leafs can do 21 man rosters for home games as the Marlies across the street in terms of calling up/down players but when on the road that's much harder to accomplish. At the very least, a 22 man roster is more realistic.

I wonder what Sign_em_up000000 thinks of some of the thoughts presented in this thread.

Thanks for your contribution!
I made another post where I discussed possible defenseman the Leafs could target during the season if they came available. I will link it for you so you can take a read and see what you think.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2739863

As for your point regarding a 21 man roster, I completely agree. It will be so hard on the road to run that. At home like you said, there is no issues. Those guys I mentioned on the taxi squad will likely move up and down on a daily basis. The easiest thing to do would be to move Dermott and replace him with two $750K guys. That would enable us to have a 22 man roster and be cap compliant. Moving Engvall alone won't be enough to do that. Mikheyev is also a possibility, but I would rather keep him over Dermott. A long shot would be Kerfoot, but I can't see them moving on from him at all unless the return is crazy good. Let me know what you think.
23 août 2021 à 18 h 29
hey look a squirrel
Modifié 23 août 2021 à 18 h 49
I thought there is no taxi squad for the coming season?
Is it official al one way or the other???

Rielly, I have wanted traded for 2 years now.
I just think he is NOT a number #1 D and that is what we need.

One thing that bothers me is the acceptance of rolling it back with same core.
This core has not achieved any playoff success and to get the message across that is not acceptable, I wanted a core guy traded.

Rielly is easy pick here for that cause he is pending UFA that we wont be able to afford and he is not what we need.

Trading him would have sent the message to the locker room that this level of play is not acceptable and the team needs to pickup the level of play in the playoffs.

I wanted to target Dahlin once Buffalo won th top pick in last draft seeing as Power would be one their #1 D over him.

I understand I'm reaching when throwing Dahlin"s name out there, I feel he can be better than Rielly.

There are some other names to consider too.

Are not concerned about the message to the cor3 by just running it back the same?
23 août 2021 à 19 h 24
Démarrer sujet
I thought there is no taxi squad for the coming season?
Is it official al one way or the other???

Rielly, I have wanted traded for 2 years now.
I just think he is NOT a number #1 D and that is what we need.

One thing that bothers me is the acceptance of rolling it back with same core.
This core has not achieved any playoff success and to get the message across that is not acceptable, I wanted a core guy traded.

Rielly is easy pick here for that cause he is pending UFA that we wont be able to afford and he is not what we need.

Trading him would have sent the message to the locker room that this level of play is not acceptable and the team needs to pickup the level of play in the playoffs.

I wanted to target Dahlin once Buffalo won th top pick in last draft seeing as Power would be one their #1 D over him.

I understand I'm reaching when throwing Dahlin"s name out there, I feel he can be better than Rielly.

There are some other names to consider too.

Are not concerned about the message to the cor3 by just running it back the same?

No there is no taxi squad. I just put the players there to show who would likely be called up and down that are waiver exempt. As for your Rielly and core point, I don't entirely disagree with you. I can understand people saying that this core has had its chance and that it might be time to move on from at least one of them to send the message of this constant failure not being okay. At the same time, the return needs to be good. Like I explained in the description, I think the ship for trading Rielly now has sailed, he will be a Maple Leaf until free agency or dealt at the deadline if we suck and are out of the playoff picture. I honestly really believe in this core still and what them to get it done so badly. I think if they add one more defenseman as an upgrade on Dermott we could be serious contenders. I am looking at someone of the quality of Ekholm, Lindholm, Parayko or Murphy. A top rental that would cost us at least a 1st and a 3rd, possibly even more. I think we have a great shot this year. Imagine going into the playoffs with:

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Ekholm/Lindholm/Parayko/Murphy
Sandin-Holl

If someone in the top 4 gets hurt, Holl can move up without problems and a depth defenseman like Liljegren, Dahlström or Biega can slide in. I think this really is something we should look at. I am not worried about our forwards. We added so many bodies upfront and I think we should be better equipped if a JT situation happens again. Every team is going to feel the loss of a forward of JT quality, we just couldn't cope with losing Muzzin as well. Matthews and Marner have to step up in the post season and continue doing what they do in the regular season, I think they have it in them. They have had this whole summer to think about what happened. You can imagine how badly they want to shut up all the critics out there.
23 août 2021 à 19 h 45
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,035
I disagree. Injuries happen in training camps and teams would likely call for these types of players if they are available. I think a team could send a late round draft pick for at least Engvall rather than gamble that they can claim him on waivers when they have to compete with 31 other teams.

Injuries happen ... congratulations, you've just discovered why these players won't be traded.
23 août 2021 à 19 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Byrr
Injuries happen ... congratulations, you've just discovered why these players won't be traded.

Thanks.
24 août 2021 à 13 h 28
hey look a squirrel
No there is no taxi squad. I just put the players there to show who would likely be called up and down that are waiver exempt. As for your Rielly and core point, I don't entirely disagree with you. I can understand people saying that this core has had its chance and that it might be time to move on from at least one of them to send the message of this constant failure not being okay. At the same time, the return needs to be good. Like I explained in the description, I think the ship for trading Rielly now has sailed, he will be a Maple Leaf until free agency or dealt at the deadline if we suck and are out of the playoff picture. I honestly really believe in this core still and what them to get it done so badly. I think if they add one more defenseman as an upgrade on Dermott we could be serious contenders. I am looking at someone of the quality of Ekholm, Lindholm, Parayko or Murphy. A top rental that would cost us at least a 1st and a 3rd, possibly even more. I think we have a great shot this year. Imagine going into the playoffs with:

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Ekholm/Lindholm/Parayko/Murphy
Sandin-Holl

If someone in the top 4 gets hurt, Holl can move up without problems and a depth defenseman like Liljegren, Dahlström or Biega can slide in. I think this really is something we should look at. I am not worried about our forwards. We added so many bodies upfront and I think we should be better equipped if a JT situation happens again. Every team is going to feel the loss of a forward of JT quality, we just couldn't cope with losing Muzzin as well. Matthews and Marner have to step up in the post season and continue doing what they do in the regular season, I think they have it in them. They have had this whole summer to think about what happened. You can imagine how badly they want to shut up all the critics out there.

Do you think Rielly is number #1 D? I dont.
Cause show me a Stanley cup winner and I can show up a number # 1.

Why are so adamant that the ship on trading Rielly has sailed? It really depends on the return your wanting that is deciding this.

Trading Rielly might mean taking 1 step back to take two steps forward
24 août 2021 à 14 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Do you think Rielly is number #1 D? I dont.
Cause show me a Stanley cup winner and I can show up a number # 1.

Why are so adamant that the ship on trading Rielly has sailed? It really depends on the return your wanting that is deciding this.

Trading Rielly might mean taking 1 step back to take two steps forward

I think Rielly is a #1 defenseman on Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montréal, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San José, Calgary, Seattle, Minnesota, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo. That is 13 teams. You can argue he is equally is a good as Dallas #1, Pittsburgh #1, Columbus #1, Vancouver #1, Islanders #1 and Carolina #1. I definitely think he is #1 defenseman in the league, and on a stacked d-core he would be the #2. I think you can win a championship with Rielly as your number one defenseman, especially if you have a cast around him consisting of Muzzin, Brodie, Holl, Sandin and in this case an addition of either Ekholm/Lindholm/Parayko/Murphy.

The reason the ship has sailed is because all teams have set their rosters. Who should the Leafs trade Rielly too? There are currently no trades that makes sense for him. A rebuilder with cap space isn't going to trade for him and give up 1st round picks. I can't think of a rebuilder that would have any realistic roster players that we would want in the trade. So would we trade him to a contender? I think not. They won't have any space to make moves, and it means that we will have to take some contract back on a player we likely don't want in the deal. There is no guarantees we can move that contract. See where I am going here? It also doesn't make sense to trade Rielly and then acquire one of the pending UFA defenseman as his replacement. What if they walk? then you might as well have kept Rielly, someone you built through your own system that is a leader and one of the faces of the franchise. If an extension for one of the replacements is in place, it is a different story. I wouldn't mind to listen to what kind of offer that would be.

I don't understand your logic of trading Rielly takes us one step back and two steps forward? Are you banking on Dermott or Sandin playing north of 21:00 minutes a night? I don't think they are capable of that yet, Dermott might never ever be that. Sandin doesn't need to be thrown to the wolves. Playing on the third pair at this stage of his development is exactly where we want him to be.

If Rielly walks next summer we can target one of those FA that will be available. Chances are they will come in cheaper than Rielly so that is the optimal route for us to go IMO.
25 août 2021 à 13 h 39
hey look a squirrel
Modifié 26 août 2021 à 9 h 16
I think Rielly is a #1 defenseman on Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montréal, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San José, Calgary, Seattle, Minnesota, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo. That is 13 teams. You can argue he is equally is a good as Dallas #1, Pittsburgh #1, Columbus #1, Vancouver #1, Islanders #1 and Carolina #1. I definitely think he is #1 defenseman in the league, and on a stacked d-core he would be the #2. I think you can win a championship with Rielly as your number one defenseman, especially if you have a cast around him consisting of Muzzin, Brodie, Holl, Sandin and in this case an addition of either Ekholm/Lindholm/Parayko/Murphy.

The reason the ship has sailed is because all teams have set their rosters. Who should the Leafs trade Rielly too? There are currently no trades that makes sense for him. A rebuilder with cap space isn't going to trade for him and give up 1st round picks. I can't think of a rebuilder that would have any realistic roster players that we would want in the trade. So would we trade him to a contender? I think not. They won't have any space to make moves, and it means that we will have to take some contract back on a player we likely don't want in the deal. There is no guarantees we can move that contract. See where I am going here? It also doesn't make sense to trade Rielly and then acquire one of the pending UFA defenseman as his replacement. What if they walk? then you might as well have kept Rielly, someone you built through your own system that is a leader and one of the faces of the franchise. If an extension for one of the replacements is in place, it is a different story. I wouldn't mind to listen to what kind of offer that would be.

I don't understand your logic of trading Rielly takes us one step back and two steps forward? Are you banking on Dermott or Sandin playing north of 21:00 minutes a night? I don't think they are capable of that yet, Dermott might never ever be that. Sandin doesn't need to be thrown to the wolves. Playing on the third pair at this stage of his development is exactly where we want him to be.

If Rielly walks next summer we can target one of those FA that will be available. Chances are they will come in cheaper than Rielly so that is the optimal route for us to go IMO.

With your list for Rielly I must disagree with you.
Winnipeg, I would much rather Morrissey over Rielly and maybe even Pionk.
Montreal, if you want to say Rielly is offensive D man... I would say Petry has shown to be better than him consistenly. He has 4 seasons in row at 40 points or more while Rielly in the last 2 seasons is declining.
Philadelphia, I'd same Rielly and Provorov are about the same so in this situation it's a wash.
St. Louis, Krug and Rielly are about the same to me as well although overall offensively Krug has been consistent and some would probably take Parayko defensively over Rielly too.
Calgary, I think due to age at least I would rather go with Hanifin or Andersson over Rielly.
Minnesota, I would most certainly take Spurgeon and Brodin over Rielly.. easily. Spurgeon lengthy deal is worrisome.
Anaheim, I would take Lindholm over Rielly, infact he is my choice for FA replacement for Rielly.
Buffalo, due to age and potential I would easily Dahlin over Rielly too.

Will post thoughts when I'm able to.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage