SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Winnipeg Jets signed Andrew Copp (1 Year / $3,640,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 août 2021 à 16 h 9
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 847
Quoting: rebecca
I voted “no”, not because the Cap Hit is too high but because it walks him straight to unRestricted free agency in 10 months time. He could be the Zach Hyman of 2022.

How would the Jets afford him regardless?
12 août 2021 à 16 h 17
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 23
Not so sure that Copp is gone after this year. The only thing he doesn't like is that he put up top 6 numbers last year and he isn't going to crack the top 6 on the Jets this year without injuries. His agent was asking for north of $5 and the Jets were offering between $3.5 and $4 million. The arbitrator would have split the difference and awarded more than $3.64. I doubt Copp would rule out a long term deal for the right money for the following season.

Jets will likely move Niku and or Beaulieu and go with a 22 man roster to make the cap numbers work.

Based on Jim Benning's track record of grossly overpaying for 3rd pairing d-men, maybe the Jets could get a 1st pick from Vancouver for Beaulieu.
Joe_La_Garnotte a aimé ceci.
12 août 2021 à 16 h 17
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
Don't know why he didn't wait for arbitration, I think he could get more
12 août 2021 à 16 h 31
@Joe_La_Garnotte

Copp probably took a team friendly 1 year deal and may have the skeleton of a long term deal started for the following season when the Jets have more cap space.
12 août 2021 à 16 h 38
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
So basically he just wants out of Peg huh
12 août 2021 à 16 h 56
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
Quoting: MurrayRoster
Joe_La_Garnotte

Copp probably took a team friendly 1 year deal and may have the skeleton of a long term deal started for the following season when the Jets have more cap space.

Maybe they have a deal, but it's a weird year so far, seems like no one wants to go to arbitration
12 août 2021 à 17 h 3
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Not sure how anyone can say this is a steal or how he deserved more money.
The numbers don't add up to that.
Look 3.5-4 is what a lower 20 goal guy is gonna pull down. That hasn't really changed because there has been a flat cap for 2 years now. While there have been raises on defense, that's due to a huge shortage. There is always going to be growth on the top. But everyone has watched last year as the bottom and middle are the ones who got squeezed.
He falls in that category.
This is clearly a prove it deal, as last year was the only season he's ever had that put him at a 20 goal pace.
So call it a prove it by the team, or a bet on himself, or whatever you will.
But there is no history to suggest he should have got more, and the market really isn't there for guys in the middle or bottom.
I'll say one thing. These younger guys signing 1 year deals is probably the best move. The new TV contracts, getting out of the supposed revenue slump, of Covid, and new rights deals with internet streaming. At some point the cap is going up. The question is when, and when is the right time to hit FA. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the cap goes up next year. That bodes well for players in the bottom and middle.
12 août 2021 à 17 h 6
hey look a squirrel
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
Dangerous gamble by Copp,what if he gets hurt?
Not sure he thought that this thru
12 août 2021 à 17 h 22
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte
Maybe they have a deal, but it's a weird year so far, seems like no one wants to go to arbitration

Very few cases actually end up going to arbitration. Most are settled before the hearing.

Knowing who Copp's agent is, I am surprised that this wasn't one of the few cases that actually went to a hearing though. Kurt Overcharge likes to over value his clients and often poisons the relationship between player and team to the point that a trade is forced.
Joe_La_Garnotte a aimé ceci.
12 août 2021 à 17 h 34
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 668
Quoting: GeraltofRivia
The Jets are the best Canadian team in the NHL right now IMO

In a Canadian division re-do, I have it

Montreal (not underestimating them again)
Winnipeg
Toronto
Vancouver
Edmonton (would've been top 2 if they had better goaltending. Smith isn't repeating last year)
Calgary(depends on Marky, and Coleman's fit)
Ottawa (1 more year)

Obviously Van, Edm, and Cal have easier divisions, and I don't think both of Montreal and Toronto will qualify. Winnipeg might be competing with the Avs, but the Avs have a better Defense, and it's not even close. Minnesota or St. Louis for third, idk after that.
12 août 2021 à 17 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Quoting: Trickster
Dangerous gamble by Copp,what if he gets hurt?
Not sure he thought that this thru

nah hes fine

Seattle will bring him in to join his old line mate Appleton next season and give him 4-5mill

This deal walks him straight to UFA so he can get more money elsewhere or get a bigger role should he desire it.
12 août 2021 à 19 h 5
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Good deal, Copp is a solid middle 6 player
12 août 2021 à 19 h 13
Steve Durbano Fan
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Buys Perfetti another year to perfect his craft . Copp is a good player but the baggage with him is the same as Trouba and a few others in that his agent does not give a damn about the economics of the game rather just show me the money. If I was a GM my rule would be if overcharge is your agent we will move onto the next name on our list. The cap was introduced to control extra greedy guys like him and when the NHL lets his clients sit out rather than accommodate him he will either go away or get inline. Imagine the mess the Jets would be in today if they had bowed and gave Trouba his money to stay and got the same result the Rangers have (essentially Trouba got Gorton fired).
12 août 2021 à 21 h 11
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
This is funny cause I saw a guy give him 8 years in armchair lmfao. Good signing though.
12 août 2021 à 23 h 28
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,649
I voted no. Obviously I don't know what happened behind the scenes in contract negotiations, but now he's a UFA in a year (unless he re-signs, of course).
13 août 2021 à 0 h 1
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 125
Quoting: Jetman
He doesn't want out...he just wants paid. If they Jets could afford him at 4.5, he would have got that

Yes I'm sure there's another contract in the drawer. If he was given 4.5 * 6 this year's salary would of been less then the 3.84m to offset escrow. Might end up being 4.75 *5 to make up for it but I'm OK with that. Good bit of off-season work for Chevy I say . 👍
13 août 2021 à 0 h 55
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I voted no. Obviously I don't know what happened behind the scenes in contract negotiations, but now he's a UFA in a year (unless he re-signs, of course).

lets be real hes going to Seattle to rejoin his buddy Appleton when that contract expires.
16 août 2021 à 15 h 44
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743
Nice

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage