Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,989
In no particular order,

Bob, Skinner, Karlsson, Price, Jones, Nurse, Doughty, Burns, Vlasic
9 août 2021 à 13 h 14
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 556
Quoting: Lenny7
No offense here, but Allen just put up below league average numbers last season, and for his career, his numbers are right around league average. Not sure why not losing him in expansion is considered a huge win, when instead you lost a decent young D prospect instead? Maybe there was no real future in Montreal for Fleury, but I don't think it's a huge win by any means.

Not saying that Allen isn't a capable backup, but those guys are a dime a dozen. If we're banking on the 19/20 year, or 15/16, sure, he was solid, but overall, notsogreat.

With Petry, what a great offensive season last year! I'm assuming the OP has him here though due to concern about paying that much in an extension for the age 34-37 years. No reason for concern just yet, but we all know how the aging curve works 99% of the time.

You're right with Weber. If he was healthy, you'd be in trouble, but now it's a rough spot to put Nashville in (Perhaps why they've cleared so much payroll space?). It'll be interesting to see how it works out-The NHL were the ones to push for the recapture penalty to avoid contracts like his-Will they stick to their guns and actually penalize the Preds for this (which would be massive)? Or will they let Weber live out his career on LTIR if he is in fact done?

Allen provided solid backup work for Montreal, the first time in years that they have had it. When Price struggled/got injured over the past few years, Montreal lost their playoff hopes. Being able to rest Price so that he can play when it matters, is more of an impact than Fleury will ever be to Montreal. Fleury is also projected to be a #5 or #6 defenseman, easily replaced even without our own system, as he wasnt used this year.

Petry agreed, but he has only been getting better and better. No reason to think its a bad contract with him.

Weber, agreed to an extent. IF he is healthy, he is still useful. Like Price, he played his best when it mattered. LTIR, I don't see Montreal doing Nashville any favours. They would have to do Cap gymnastics prior to the season every year for 5 years to hold onto that LTIR contract. Weber is barely owed anything on it and could easily retire. The NHL has already "lessened" the impact of the cap recapture by spreading the last few seasons out over more years instead of the crazy 24M that was originally the worst case scenario. IF Weber is done, Nashville will have to give up assets to be able to throw him on their LTIR for the next 5 years. Maybe Montreal wants to hold onto to him 1 more year, to see if he is really done, but I imagine Nashville wants that contract back ASAP, because each year it gets worse and worse. Should be interesting. If Marleau was worth a 1st because of his $6M cap hit, I wonder what Weber is worth to prevent at least $5M per year to Nashville for 5 years. (I hope i wrote this clear enough...)
9 août 2021 à 13 h 16
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Vlasic, Karlsson, Bob, Price, Skinner would probably be my top 5
9 août 2021 à 13 h 25
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: redw1n9s
Ya, that's only how it works if you're a selfish player. Plenty of much better players around the league that make less and took less so their GMs can ice better teams.

Good for Ovi and that record, but that contract is LOL funny.

Name 5 of these much better players that took much less than market value so that their teams could make other moves.
Faulk_my_Dzingel et mokumboi a aimé ceci.
9 août 2021 à 13 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Smythe.over.Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
Quoting: Ritzy
Name 5 of these much better players that took much less than market value so that their teams could make other moves.

Or better yet. Name 5 players playing currently that are the reason their franchise still exists... I honestly don't know if Washington would still have a team without Ovechkin.
9 août 2021 à 13 h 33
Leafs Sufferer
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
The difference here is he can still provide some value. An overpaid winger isn’t the end of the world. A massively overpaid back up goalie though? That’s a rough one.

Bob's had a rough couple of years, no doubt about it. But is it smart for FLA to just throw Knight into the starter role as a 20-year old? I imagine Bob gets the majority of the starts for the foreseeable future which wouldn't make him the back-up.
Faulk_my_Dzingel a aimé ceci.
9 août 2021 à 13 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Smythe.over.Hart
Bob's had a rough couple of years, no doubt about it. But is it smart for FLA to just throw Knight into the starter role as a 20-year old? I imagine Bob gets the majority of the starts for the foreseeable future which wouldn't make him the back-up.

Betting on young goalies panning out is risky business. I think there is a story of a young kid signed in 2006, hasn't played since 2013 and is on payroll until 2029. Could just be a legend though.
9 août 2021 à 14 h 54
Canes fan
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,578
1. Skinner
2. Bob
3. Half the Sharks defense
4. Ken Holland
5. Gardiner
Faulk_my_Dzingel et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 août 2021 à 15 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: Dzinger18
1. Skinner
2. Bob
3. Half the Sharks defense
4. Ken Holland
5. Gardiner

Lol! How about a three way tie of Benning, Holland, and Bowman?
Zinger et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 août 2021 à 15 h 16
Banni
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,585

And that’s probably worse. Having a bad goaltender that’s paid at top of market is a disaster. There’s nowhere for him to hide. If a winger declines they can just get fewer and fewer minutes, more sheltered minutes etc.
9 août 2021 à 17 h 23
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,466
Skinner,Bobrovosky Karlsson, Vlasic, Doughty, Weber (if he doesn't retire), Jones and Nurse. Three guys not mentioned approaching 30 with still long term, Spurgeon, Sequin and OEL, Couture might fall off a cliff at some time..
30 août 2021 à 11 h 15
Maja
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Modifié 19 nov. 2021 à 12 h 35
Darnell Nurse definitely.
31 août 2021 à 9 h 36
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
I'd say either Ryan Johansen or Sergei Bobrovsky, specifically because they could have been on OUR books. We dodged two big bullets there.
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
31 août 2021 à 15 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733
Modifié 31 août 2021 à 15 h 25
Sergei Bobrovsky arguably has the worst deal rn in the NHL

Unlike forwards or Dman on bad contracts, goalies who have bad deals are harder to maneuver around.

In general Bob has not lived up to that 10mill deal at all and that deal is also a roadblock for any future success for the panthers. Sure they did good last year but they had Dreidger now hes gone and you got a young kid in Knight who has barely played and this guy in net and when you consider they are going back to the Atlantic division things are not looking good for them.
2 sept. 2021 à 12 h 29
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,377
Jeff Skinner.

No discussion.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
2 sept. 2021 à 12 h 58
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,708
He's not the worst but I think TJ Oshie should be up there in the top 5-10 range. He's a great guy and is playing up to his contract right now but I worry about him falling off and then being unmovable.
26 oct. 2021 à 10 h 5
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,548
connor mcdavid i dunno how you guys dont get this
27 oct. 2021 à 11 h 0
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,708
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
Or better yet. Name 5 players playing currently that are the reason their franchise still exists... I honestly don't know if Washington would still have a team without Ovechkin.

Coming from someone from the DC area, they probably still have one, but possibly with some of the same issues as Buffalo, Florida, and Arizona. Washington wasn't as close as Pittsburgh was to moving in the mid 2000s, but from the attendance numbers were falling before the Rock The Red Era started with Ovi, Backstrom, Semin, and Green. I would assume that even more fans may have lost interest once Kolzig and Bondra retired/left. The NHL would have done all it could to keep Washington there, but I don't think you see the same amount of passion citywide for them. Ovi's play energized apathetic fans and brought a lot of new fans to the Caps, and Ted Leonsis and Caps fans in general are thankful he went to DC.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
21 janv. 2022 à 10 h 32
GO KNIGHTS GO
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,260
I’m saddened by all the hatred of Jeff Skinner’s contract. As JeffSkinnerFan53, I reject hate in this form, and I hope that in the future, we can have a thoughtful, productive discussion about how Jeff is the best player in the history of the NHL. Maybe then, you’ll come to see (as I do) that he is actually underpaid. He carried the Eichel line, yet we just couldn’t see it.
30 janv. 2022 à 7 h 18
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,075
Vlasic #1, Skinner #2, the others are a ways back from these two, me thinks.
2 févr. 2022 à 18 h 7
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Nurse doesn't be long is this conversation at all
2 févr. 2022 à 19 h 21
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
mondo here, showing capfriendly dot com slash forums slash thread slash five zero two two nine two slash two a number of players being paid a lot of money but not very good this season?!?!?!?

get in on the ground floor with some of these deals which may go south if they keep playing like they do! criteria is more than four million aav, more than four years! mostly forwards because i didn't put a ton of effort into this

Jeff Petry - 6.25 M x 4 Y
Brendan Gallagher - 6.5 M x 6 Y
William Karlsson - 5.9 M x 6 Y
Kevin Hayes - 7.1 M x 5 Y
Tyler Seguin - 9.85 M x 6 Y
Charlie Coyle - 5.25 M x 5 Y
Blake Coleman - 4.9 M x 6 Y
Anders Lee - 7 M x 5 Y
Jean-Gabriel Pageau - 5 M x 5 Y
Kyle Palmieri - 5 M x 4 Y
Colin White - 4.75 M x 4 Y
Saskleaf et Bobcat205 a aimé ceci.