SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Adam Pelech (8 Years / $5,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

6 août 2021 à 17 h 22
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,084
Quoting: VijayPatel11
But 14 is ridiculously low for a guy who is supposedly an elite offensive talent... If you supposedly are that good at something you should have numbers to show for it

Devon Toews was elite at driving offense when he played for the isles, but he also had mediocre point totals. He gets traded to the Avalanche , was actually worse at driving offense this season but put up a lot more points because the Avs have a bunch of elite finishers. He was better offensively 2 years ago with the isles despite having 20 less points.
6 août 2021 à 20 h 11
Pittsburg_pens
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5
Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
Who's saying no? This is a steal.

the people saying its a bad deal just looked at his stats and didn't watch him play
6 août 2021 à 20 h 25
GO FLAMES GO
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 10,556
Quoting: RKLW
Never thought I’d see the day that Lou gives out another 8 year deal.. Wow

What happened with the last one?
6 août 2021 à 21 h 10
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
Those last 3 years are going to hurt. but far from the worst contract. today.
7 août 2021 à 11 h 40
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
I really like this deal. Pelech is extremely good defensively, and at this clip, he isn't being paid to be a number 1, so it softens the blow to a point where it makes it likely he lives up to this deal more often than not.

D often are not rated on their defensive game very accurately, and I feel like some of the best values right now are when you can get an actually good defensive defensemen signed. Some of the problem can be that players who drive good defensive results aren't often universally agreed upon (Lindell, Jones), but Pelech has very quietly and consistently been between well above average to elite defensively for a few years, and he does so without seeming to hinder his team offensively. I'd rather have a few guys like that driving the D core then overpay for a guy like Jones because he "looks" like a more "complete" D. Problem with me for Jones is that he has always been consistently overrated because he looks smooth, and isn't bad at anything, but that obscures the simple fact he isn't close to elite at anything either, yet he gets talked about as if the sum of his parts still are.

Anyway, Lou has quietly had a great summer. He managed to almost break even on moving out Ladd and Leddy, sounds like he likely has signed some key vet forwards likely at reasonable terms and rates, didn't overpay in expansion (didn't love his choice of players on his list, but it likely made little difference, he was losing a $5M forward like Bailey or Eberle regardless so no harm done). I even like the Panik part of dealing out Leddy.

I think he managed to manage his future assets decently, cleaned up the cap a little, keep a strong team together. He's probably not quite as deserving of the GM of the year title he has, but he certainly hasn't had a bad summer (unless we find out he gave Palmieri an insane deal).
pinslack a aimé ceci.
7 août 2021 à 11 h 44
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: rollie1967
Those last 3 years are going to hurt. but far from the worst contract. today.

While it's better to buy no years you will regret, it's not always possible. If you feel like you got enough surplus value early in a contract, sometimes that's a worthwhile risk. With the way LTIR often works and ability to move vet players who are a little overpaid later as good vets, if you feel you are getting significant outperformance early, and you don't offer too many contracts that are likely to sour at the same time, I think its reasonable to give a little extra term (even if it won't be great value at that time) to keep the value higher today.

I think Pelech has a low chance of underperforming this contract in the first handful of years, and I think with the current D market, it's a smart bet to lock up an elite defensive D while even moderately good offensive D are getting so overpaid.
7 août 2021 à 15 h 56
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,196
No votes are from Dubas worshippers who are still upset on how Lou is still outshining him.

This is why Lou wins another GM of the year. back to back Conference Finals and now signing his star players for 1/4 cheaper of what other GM's do.
7 août 2021 à 16 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
Modifié 7 août 2021 à 17 h 10
Quoting: drewjenkins
Guys I found the guy who made it about the Leafs !!!!

Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
No votes are from Dubas worshippers who are still upset on how Lou is still outshining him.

This is why Lou wins another GM of the year. back to back Conference Finals and now signing his star players for 1/4 cheaper of what other GM's do.

Found another one lul

Anytime someone is signed someone tries to make it about the leafs to rile people up.

This was a good signing and Lou often does the. But once in a while we get a horrible contract out of him
8 août 2021 à 23 h 18
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,421
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
Likely the best deal of the off season. From what we've seen from him so far is that he will continue to be an elite shutdown defenseman for years to come. I'm impressed with Lou here. Normally he gives vets too much money.

Point at 9.5
9 août 2021 à 11 h 38
Bruins r the
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4
had a giant breakout year don't know about the 8yrs maybe 6 but good money and him and dobson will prolly be their #1's this season

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage