SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Columbus Blue Jackets signed Zachary Werenski (6 Years / $9,583,333 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 9
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
What a ****ing terrible contract, I guess Columbus has to overpay to keep their stars
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 22
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Modifié 30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 29
Quoting: dopplsan
Bob was willing to stay, but wanted the contract he got in FLA. Duchene was never offered a contract. And time will tell with Jones - wouldn’t be terribly surprised if CBJ knew they wouldn’t be able to afford him and Werenski, and simply wouldn’t match his offer.

One of these contracts on your cap is tough enough. Two of them?

Well Jones and Duchene both publicly said they weren't staying.

Bobrovsky was telling Russian reporters there was no way he was resigning in Columbus prior to the end of the season when Florida gave him that massive offer.

CBJ give a clear overpay here. They're probably just so happy one of their top players is willing to stay.
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 36
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: BCAPP
I do laugh that they gave him a hair more than Jones per year though

Nice flip of the bird to Jones, knocking him out of the top 3. XD
BCAPP a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 48
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6
I don't think it's a terrible AAV for what he brings, especially since he'll be entering his prime years and we should expect the cap to come up in the next season or two, but only six years? This should have been a 7 or 8 year deal.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 49
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
I wouldn't say this contract is better than those though.

CBJ tried to sign Duchene but Duchene said he didn't want to play in Columbus so they acted like they didn't extend an offer to save face.

No. They didn’t offer him a contract.

And I would most definitely say this contract is better than those for the reasons I outlined above.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 54
Do it for Dale
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4
I honestly don't see how this is such a bad deal. Columbus paid what seems to be market value on a young number one defenseman, plus they finally get to keep an elite player instead of having to let him walk or having him request a trade.
dopplsan et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 54
Nah.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Well Jones and Duchene both publicly said they weren't staying.

Bobrovsky was telling Russian reporters there was no way he was resigning in Columbus prior to the end of the season when Florida gave him that massive offer.

CBJ give a clear overpay here. They're probably just so happy one of their top players is willing to stay.

Duchene publicly said he loved CBJ and wanted to hear their offer? My guess is, just like what happened with Bob, he told them what he wanted and they said “no chance.”

Point being, perception is people wanted to flee the organization; my counter is, the best contracts are sometimes the ones you don’t sign.

Not a huge fan of this, but I have more faith in it than the others. Younger, only six years, much better defensively, offensively, and analytically than Jones. Mos def had to pay more, but that’s not just a CBJ thing, that’s what happens whenever you buy out UFA years.

We’re a year away from the cap rising again, and Adam Fox altering the market.
OldNYIfan et THECapedCaper a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 9 h 11
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
At least we can say he makes more then Seth Jones
30 juill. 2021 à 9 h 28
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Duchene publicly said he loved CBJ and wanted to hear their offer? My guess is, just like what happened with Bob, he told them what he wanted and they said “no chance.”

Point being, perception is people wanted to flee the organization; my counter is, the best contracts are sometimes the ones you don’t sign.

Not a huge fan of this, but I have more faith in it than the others. Younger, only six years, much better defensively, offensively, and analytically than Jones. Mos def had to pay more, but that’s not just a CBJ thing, that’s what happens whenever you buy out UFA years.

We’re a year away from the cap rising again, and Adam Fox altering the market.

Duchene publicly said he loved Ottawa as well and was considering signing a contract but privately he was requesting a trade. He later admitted that it wasn't a money thing and that he wanted a chance to compete for the cup.

At the time Duchene signed his contract he was a ppg centre.

CBJ aren't the only team that top players don't want to play for but that's the reason why they are losing their top talents not because they don't want to pay.
30 juill. 2021 à 9 h 29
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,604
Quoting: sensonfire
My point is that Werenski should not be the highest paid LD in the entire NHL.

By any stretch of the imagination.

I have no idea what Werenski will become in the last 4 years of his contract.

Or what Josi will be like in his mid to late 30s.

All I know is that Werenski should not be paid more than Roman Josi.

Or Victor Hedman even.

But if Zach Werenski is better than Roman Josi for four of the six years of his contract, shouldn't he be paid more than Roman Josi?
30 juill. 2021 à 9 h 44
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,383
Quoting: OldNYIfan
But if Zach Werenski is better than Roman Josi for four of the six years of his contract, shouldn't he be paid more than Roman Josi?

Maybe.

Only time will tell.

Since Jarmo dished out 9.6 million per year to Werenski, it seemed like he just completely swept this past season and Werenski's season-ending hernia under the rug.
30 juill. 2021 à 10 h 19
Nah.
Quoting: sensonfire
Maybe.

Only time will tell.

Since Jarmo dished out 9.6 million per year to Werenski, it seemed like he just completely swept this past season and Werenski's season-ending hernia under the rug.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2o-_Z8XIAE4P7Q?format=png&name=900x900

He also played at a 47 point pace, all while injured. I don’t stress the hernia too much…this was a season that CBJ were rushing to tank and finish.

Maybe wasn’t a $9.6M season, but it was by no means bad.
sensonfire et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 10 h 21
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 234
I love Werenski, I think he’s and dynamic D-Man with a fantastic shot. With that said, I voted “no” as there is almost no way this deal turns out to be good value.

If he continues to play at his top level and stay healthy then it’s a break even deal. So literally there’s no way this turns out to be a “good deal”.

I suppose the intangibles - like having a possible UFA stay in Columbus - could be worth something. I’m grasping.
30 juill. 2021 à 10 h 40
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,383
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2o-_Z8XIAE4P7Q?format=png&name=900x900

He also played at a 47 point pace, all while injured. I don’t stress the hernia too much…this was a season that CBJ were rushing to tank and finish.

Maybe wasn’t a $9.6M season, but it was by no means bad.

The better play for Columbus would have been to see how the first month of next season goes before going ahead and doing something like this.

Werenski has one more year left on his current contract and he would have still been an RFA under team control.

The only leverage Werenski had was arbitration rights and a veto over his next contract.

That's it.

If next season will be a catastrophe for Werenski and the Blue Jackets like this season was, at least Columbus can try giving Werenski his qualifying offer of 7 million.

Werenski is now going to become the highest paid LD in the National Hockey League.

More than Victor Hedman and Roman Josi.

Think about that.
SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 11 h 9
CbjSabresDucks
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,180
Quoting: BCAPP
How? He was an rfa in 2015

He could have left at 27
30 juill. 2021 à 11 h 48
Makeeeeebo
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 23
Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
Don't forget the Rangers, with Adam Fox due a new contract after this year.

Fox is worth every penny
30 juill. 2021 à 12 h 6
Josh
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 276
yikes.
30 juill. 2021 à 12 h 47
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 335
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
The biggest loser here is the Vancouver Canucks, who still have to sign Quinn Hughes.

Zach Werenski will be the 3rd highest paid defenseman in the NHL next year. Let that sink in.

A week ago there were 4 D with an AAV of $9 million or more in the NHL. Now 4 have signed for $9 plus million in the last 5 days.

i think.... ok i hope that VAN will be ok, i mean Makar and Heiskenan signings are concerning as they were expiring ELC's but Jones and Werenski are inking deals AFTER bridging for a few years. Mcavoy will be the same thing.
8 août 2021 à 17 h 41
Bruins r the
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4
i'm getting even more worried for mcavoy day by day with these overpaid dman Crying*

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage