SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Columbus Blue Jackets signed Zachary Werenski (6 Years / $9,583,333 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 3
CbjSabresDucks
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,180
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Yeah, this definitely seems to be a result of the Columbus tax, which is really unfortunate. In the end the extra $1.5 million probably doesn’t make much of a difference, but the fact that he’ll be the 3rd highest paid D in the league just seems bad.

Hes also still only 24. If he was 27+, I'd be worried but I doubt he declines at all during this.
OldNYIfan et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 4
CbjSabresDucks
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
In that sense CBJ were lucky they aren't a very desirable location. They tried to match the Duchene contract for sure but he wanted Nashville instead. They probably would have matched the Jones contract too looking at this contract.

Duchene wasn't offered a contract.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 6
CbjSabresDucks
Quoting: dopplsan
It is a most definite bummer that Duchene, Bobrovsky, and Jones all got away with those contracts.

If only CBJ could’ve had the honor of taking on those anchors 😩

Also its hilarious how people always include Bob in that. Like did they forget he left when he was THIRTY and could have left FOUR seasons earlier if he wanted to?
dopplsan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 6
Steve
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 480
I guess that’s what it takes for a player to “want” to play in Ohio!
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 10
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,177
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
In that sense CBJ were lucky they aren't a very desirable location. They tried to match the Duchene contract for sure but he wanted Nashville instead. They probably would have matched the Jones contract too looking at this contract.

Bob was willing to stay, but wanted the contract he got in FLA. Duchene was never offered a contract. And time will tell with Jones - wouldn’t be terribly surprised if CBJ knew they wouldn’t be able to afford him and Werenski, and simply wouldn’t match his offer.

One of these contracts on your cap is tough enough. Two of them?
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 13
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: pharrow
I know you have a hard time accepting reality. But Nylander and Marner are not Crosby and Malkin.
You started handing piles of cash to RFAs who shouldn't have been handed piles of cash.
Which started the trend of that happening.
I know you think because you are short and wear glasses that you are smart, but really you're failing.

Yes the penguins gave 8.7 million contracts to Crosby and Malkin.
But they handed Letang 3.5. Not 11!
I'm sorry you don't get that, but if you want to pop off, you can start by comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges with you're think your so smart mouth.
But hey, keep being in denial about how you paid every accessory piece to the team an absurd amount of money. It's why your team is always up against the cap and unable to have the depth to get over the hump.
You clearly haven't learned the mistakes yet.

Leafs paid more for another guy on that list closer to Crosby and Malkin. My point was Dubas didn't start the trend, a number of players got high salary deals off of their ELCS: Backstrom, Toews, Kane, Draisaitl, etc. If you seriously think that Kyle Dubas had such an influence over NHL signings that giving Marner a ton of money is the reason that guys like Jones and Werenski (who by the way, aren't coming off of ELC) are making over 9 million, then I'd hate to see your most recent MRI.

Look up what Letang got on his third contract as well, specifically the percentage of cap hit. It's in the same range as Werenski. Since of course were comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, it'd be fairer to compare defenseman on their third contracts as opposed to forwards on their seconds, would it not? So why bring up Dubas in the first place?

Also, I'm not Kyle Dubas.
OldNYIfan, oneX et BCAPP a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 13
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 11,894
Quoting: sensonfire
Werenski is now going to be paid more than Roman Josi.

Think about that.

Columbus shouldn't have to pay a premium to have its star players stick around.

But I guess that's reality.

I voted no frown

Thomas Chabot would never
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 43
torontos finest
Quoting: pharrow
Letang was a UFA on his 3rd deal. Stop trying to shift goal posts. His 3rd deal has nothing to do with anything.
No one, and I do mean no one, was handing out contracts like Dubas did. Everyone knows that broke the seal.
You are over here trying to compare Crosby, Malkin, guys like OV to Mitch Marner.....
GTFOH.
There use to be a standard to get paid like that.
Backstrom got 6.7 not million.
Even the numbers don't work out 11.28% to 13.38% of cap value.
Just admit it. You're bonehead GM that you want to claim is so smart because he's short like you and wears glasses like you, isn't all to smart.

Every example you listed there is horrible. Not to mention the fact you are talking about guys who were playing for a cup. When the F did marner ever get out the 1st round?
Kane 6.3mil 11.09%
Toews same exact deal as Kane.

Drai 8.3 11.33% of the cap.

But go on. Tell us all how Marner should have been paid over 13% of the cap?
Tell us how that made sense for ANYONE?
Tell us short dude with glasses, hows that math worth?

Go sit down you're not smart.

Letang's third deal is more comparable to this Werenskicontract than anything Dubas has done lmao.

It's honestly remarkable how incensed you are about Kyle Dubas. Like, you'd make a great Toronto Sun columnist. Maybe you need to sit down and take a breather.

Dubas signing Marner to 2% more of the cap hit compared to guys like Backstrom and Draisaitl didn't break the league. Backstrom got his contract after his record breaking team was knocked out of the playoffs by the Canadiens in the first round. Oilers hadn't done anything when Draisaitl signed his. Toews and Kane signed their deals prior to their cup. Toronto obviously signed Matthews and Marner with the expectation that they'd do well in both the regular season and the playoffs. Marner lead the team in points prior to signing; they carries a lot of weight in negotiations.

It wouldn't matter all that much either if the pandemic didn't occur. I don't think Marner should be making over 10 million but as I've said, I'm not the GM of the Maple Leafs. I also don't think it broke the league like you did. These guys were probably going to get more in a non-pandemic situation.

I reckon your next post will be a string of insults so I'm done. Goodnight. You can have the last word or whatever makes your feel better. I'm not going to change your mind and you're obviously getting a high off of thinking you're winning an internet argument on capfriendly. Don't want to waste any more time.
OldNYIfan et oneX a aimé ceci.
29 juill. 2021 à 23 h 56
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: mondo
Letang's third deal is more comparable to this Werenskicontract than anything Dubas has done lmao.

It's honestly remarkable how incensed you are about Kyle Dubas. Like, you'd make a great Toronto Sun columnist. Maybe you need to sit down and take a breather.

Dubas signing Marner to 2% more of the cap hit compared to guys like Backstrom and Draisaitl didn't break the league. Backstrom got his contract after his record breaking team was knocked out of the playoffs by the Canadiens in the first round. Oilers hadn't done anything when Draisaitl signed his. Toews and Kane signed their deals prior to their cup. Toronto obviously signed Matthews and Marner with the expectation that they'd do well in both the regular season and the playoffs. Marner lead the team in points prior to signing; they carries a lot of weight in negotiations.

It wouldn't matter all that much either if the pandemic didn't occur. I don't think Marner should be making over 10 million but as I've said, I'm not the GM of the Maple Leafs. I also don't think it broke the league like you did. These guys were probably going to get more in a non-pandemic situation.

I reckon your next post will be a string of insults so I'm done. Goodnight. You can have the last word or whatever makes your feel better. I'm not going to change your mind and you're obviously getting a high off of thinking you're winning an internet argument on capfriendly. Don't want to waste any more time.

RFA signings are not comparable to UFA signings. Period. Not even close. Zack can't go negotiate with any team. Which is where there was always a line drawn. So no, they are not the same not even close.

Let me also comment on your "next post will be a string of insults" Lets look back at your 1st reply shall we ?

". I understand that you're upset someone like Dubas got a job in the NHL because you're intimidated by people who are younger than you and wear glasses, but he didn't invent playing RFAs high salaries."

yeah, look at you go there girl.
Man your mouth was running a mile a minute there. But you know, it's always someone else with your passive aggressive self.

And now?

We get to the part where you realize you're not so smart there short guy with glasses.
Where you back paddle on everything you tried to say, because even YOU can't justify Marner getting 13%of the cap.
And even YOU recognize that comparing marner to guys who were playing for cups isn't even close!

You are all of what we expect from short guys with glasses. Think you know a lot but you know nothing.

So hey, goodnight short with glasses, with your passive aggressive style.
maybe next time pick on someone else who's short with glasses, you won't get embarrassed back peddling your way out.
30 juill. 2021 à 0 h 17
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Quoting: dopplsan
Bob was willing to stay, but wanted the contract he got in FLA. Duchene was never offered a contract. And time will tell with Jones - wouldn’t be terribly surprised if CBJ knew they wouldn’t be able to afford him and Werenski, and simply wouldn’t match his offer.

One of these contracts on your cap is tough enough. Two of them?

I wouldn't say this contract is better than those though.

CBJ tried to sign Duchene but Duchene said he didn't want to play in Columbus so they acted like they didn't extend an offer to save face.
30 juill. 2021 à 0 h 19
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
And I thought his teammate Seth Jones (former teammate) was the most overvalued extension of the summer. That was then, this is now.
30 juill. 2021 à 0 h 24
This is beyond insane. Jarmo should've just traded him. I think Jarmo got tired of losing every single one of his top players and he just had a meltdown.
30 juill. 2021 à 0 h 26
NYR just decided to wait until next summer to extend Adam Fox.
30 juill. 2021 à 0 h 43
torontos finest
Quoting: Brian2016
NYR just decided to wait until next summer to extend Adam Fox.

Fox was going to get paid regardless. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets 10 million or higher.
30 juill. 2021 à 1 h 10
ButIActLikeIDid
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 37
Quoting: Roysboy72
I guess Werenski is better than Jones, so… pay him like he’s Victor Hedman in his prime?

Why did Jarmo do this

Because nobody wants to stay there. He has to show that they can pay too.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 1 h 20
ButIActLikeIDid
Mentions "j'aime": 37
The term should be 7 or 8.
30 juill. 2021 à 1 h 30
Rutta 4ever
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,913
Werenski is good, but he does not deserve to be the highest paid LHD.
Maybe a premium paid to keep him from asking for a trade?
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 1 h 32
Quoting: mondo
Fox was going to get paid regardless. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets 10 million or higher.

Paying him now would be crazy. If he signs this summer, I agree he'll get $10M AAV. If he regresses at all, which is highly probable considering the fact that he just won the Norris, his value could drop a little. Considering the Rangers inevitable cap issues, $1-2M could be huge for their long term cap. Next summer, the Rangers can always sign him to a bridge.
30 juill. 2021 à 1 h 36
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24,604
Quoting: sensonfire
Werenski is now going to be paid more than Roman Josi.

Think about that.

Columbus shouldn't have to pay a premium to have its star players stick around.

But I guess that's reality.

I voted no frown

Do you seriously think that by the time Werenski reaches the last four years of his deal, he won't be MILES better than Josi from ages 35 through 38?!?
30 juill. 2021 à 3 h 13
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 976
He's better than Jones but not on the level of Hamilton or Makar. Shouldn't cost more than 7-7.5 really
30 juill. 2021 à 4 h 19
Go Flames Go!
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 50
WHAAAAAAAAAT

Why would you give him 9 mil per? He's worth 6.75-7 at the very best for that term. This is really bad for CBJ
30 juill. 2021 à 6 h 35
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Contrarily to the Jones signing this is a good deal, sure it’s maybe a bit too much but Werenski is their cornerstone D and a great player
Kotkaniemi15 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
30 juill. 2021 à 7 h 50
Biased Opinion
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,969
Lerenski
30 juill. 2021 à 7 h 53
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
Also its hilarious how people always include Bob in that. Like did they forget he left when he was THIRTY and could have left FOUR seasons earlier if he wanted to?

How? He was an rfa in 2015
30 juill. 2021 à 8 h 1
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,383
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Do you seriously think that by the time Werenski reaches the last four years of his deal, he won't be MILES better than Josi from ages 35 through 38?!?

My point is that Werenski should not be the highest paid LD in the entire NHL.

By any stretch of the imagination.

I have no idea what Werenski will become in the last 4 years of his contract.

Or what Josi will be like in his mid to late 30s.

All I know is that Werenski should not be paid more than Roman Josi.

Or Victor Hedman even.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage