SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Cody Ceci (4 Years / $3,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 34
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,722
Quoting: lucal2228
Hell nah

Quoting: KANYE_IS_KING
Too much money
Too much term
Too much Ceci

Quoting: Efmjnc
3 Million!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hamilton is about to get 20 million at this rate

Quoting: Emoon
pain.

Quoting: mondo
Nurse - Ceci
Keith - Barrie
Russell - Bouchard

my sides are in orbit.

Quoting: oilersguy
idk anymore man

Quoting: SevenLeg
Far too much. Should have been a one-year deal to try to replicate last season in PIT

Quoting: jonlegit20
I feel so sorry for Connor and Leon lol

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Ken Holland is the worst GM in the league.

Quoting: Devil1122
Holland moment

Quoting: uggone
ho-lyy Y I K E S

Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Has there been an objectively worse offseason than the 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers? Asking for a friend.

Quoting: aadoyle
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard

RIP SMITH like foegele is good but losing Bear for him was just silly

Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
There's the Kenny boi we know and love

Quoting: RKLW
*laughs as a leafs fan*

Quoting: uggone
JESUS CHRIST

Quoting: Roysboy72
Classic Holland.

Quoting: Random2152
Has there ever been a worse off season in the last decade than Holland is having?

My God.

Quoting: imawesome
When there are 20 votes and not a single yes

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He's easily a replacement player. Holland is so bad lmao

Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Lol. Have fun with that.

Quoting: yikes

Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
The friend part I can help you out on, the question part I'm not so sure....

Quoting: ConnorMcHellebucyk
I want die

Ceci has been very much worth his contract so far. Yeah I know it's only 20 games into the season, but the community here was 100% wrong on this player (at least, the first page of comments). So far this is looking like a steal - he's replaced Larsson defensively while also adding offense and puck moving that Larsson can only dream about. Ceci and Keith have been getting all the tough zone starts and have been doing fine largely due to Ceci's smart play.

Too much knee-jerk often results in a plate full of crow. Lesson learned? We'll see.
BeterChiarelli, oilersguy, Emoon and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 36
Carolina is shaping up to have a terrible offseason as well.

Hmm, Carolina is currently #1 in the league while Edmonton is #2 by points percentage. Maybe, just maybe they know things that you don't.
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 37
Quoting: Jeuck75
HORRIBLE CONTRACT!!!!!!!! FIRE HOLLAND

Still feel that way?
Jeuck75 et oilersguy a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 39
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,817
Quoting: CD282
Ceci has been very much worth his contract so far. Yeah I know it's only 20 games into the season, but the community here was 100% wrong on this player (at least, the first page of comments). So far this is looking like a steal - he's replaced Larsson defensively while also adding offense and puck moving that Larsson can only dream about. Ceci and Keith have been getting all the tough zone starts and have been doing fine largely due to Ceci's smart play.

Too much knee-jerk often results in a plate full of crow. Lesson learned? We'll see.

Hmm, Carolina is currently #1 in the league while Edmonton is #2 by points percentage. Maybe, just maybe they know things that you don't.

Still feel that way?

D5TM.gif
Roysboy72, Kotkaniemi15, Devil and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 39
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,261

You're joking right?
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,863

🤷‍♂️
KSIxSKULLS, Kotkaniemi15, Devil and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 46
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,485

Of course it's easier to go back months ago and call the rightfully valid opinion on the signings a bad opinion. It was a bad contract when it was signed and there's not much room for debate, but good for Edmonton for figuring it out.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 47
yippee
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,171

Yo, can you not tag literally everybody in this thread?

Also, I wouldn't say the community was 100% wrong on Ceci. He's a good defenseman, but this contract isn't amazing or anything. I'd say he's doing his best to prove the critics wrong, but it's not like he's performing at a level that was unexpected for him. Plus, I think the main criticisms with this signing come from the fact that Holland let Larsson and Bear go just to replace them with Cody Ceci. It's not a good look to downgrade the defense like that, especially after trading for Keith without retention to fill up the saved cap space. While I'll admit that this contract is better than the immediate reactions would suggest, there's no way you can say "the community here was 100% wrong on this player".

And again, please don't mass-quote people.
29 nov. 2021 à 12 h 53
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455

I'd still have rathered that the money between Barrie and Ceci was part of what they threw at a Hamilton-Pysyk duo but yes Ceci has been for the most part more than worth his contract.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 13 h 7
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,188

1) We are a quarter way through the season. Maybe wait until the season is over before you make these smug ass comments.
2) This is why people don't like you.
KSIxSKULLS, Devil, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 13 h 13
Quoting: Roysboy72
Yo, can you not tag literally everybody in this thread?

Also, I wouldn't say the community was 100% wrong on Ceci. He's a good defenseman, but this contract isn't amazing or anything. I'd say he's doing his best to prove the critics wrong, but it's not like he's performing at a level that was unexpected for him. Plus, I think the main criticisms with this signing come from the fact that Holland let Larsson and Bear go just to replace them with Cody Ceci. It's not a good look to downgrade the defense like that, especially after trading for Keith without retention to fill up the saved cap space. While I'll admit that this contract is better than the immediate reactions would suggest, there's no way you can say "the community here was 100% wrong on this player".

And again, please don't mass-quote people.

I quoted everyone one page 1 who had a hugely negative take on this signing, which was, well, everyone. I don't believe that crossed any lines - what do you say, @BeterChiarelli ?
29 nov. 2021 à 13 h 15
1) We are a quarter way through the season. Maybe wait until the season is over before you make these smug ass comments.
2) This is why people don't like you.

Can't admit when you're wrong, huh? Not surprising... and I wasn't aware this was a popularity contest! Sometimes going against the current is the right thing to do, but of course it's not going to be popular. I don't give a sh*t whether random strangers on the internet "like" me.
29 nov. 2021 à 13 h 36
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,188
Can't admit when you're wrong, huh? Not surprising... and I wasn't aware this was a popularity contest! Sometimes going against the current is the right thing to do, but of course it's not going to be popular. I don't give a sh*t whether random strangers on the internet "like" me.

You care enough about random strangers to quote all of them who posted on the first page because Ceci has been slightly above mediocre for 20 games, and you care enough to personally quote me because you believe the Oilers and Hurricanes starting out good somehow forgives them having lackluster offseasons.

Normally you post statistics and analytics to prove your point. Don't see those here this time around. Might have something to do with Ceci's 5v5 CF%, FF%, GF% and xGF% all being under 50%. Relatives in the negatives too.

It's great that you believe Ceci has been worth his money so far; but it's 20 games into a four year contract and he doesn't have a good track record. His numbers so far really don't back up his value either.
Roysboy72, Saskleaf et Devil a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 14 h 11
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
what do you say, BeterChiarelli ?

I mean you actually responded to these users so it's not as if you did this explicitly to mass tag, but like I'm getting really comfortable with the idea of a cap on the number of users you can quote in a post, ESPECIALLY in the case where it's to dunk on people after a 20 game sample size.

At the end of the day, I dont know if this whole exercise was worth anyone's while and I really don't want to have to lock this thread because you didn't take the high road in this scenario.

I'd probably change your tone on how much you care about people "liking" you online if I were you. I can only go to bat for you so many times before the bank of my good will runs out. Why be anything less than your best self while you're in this community? What purpose does pissing everyone else off serve?
Roysboy72 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 14 h 41
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I mean you actually responded to these users so it's not as if you did this explicitly to mass tag, but like I'm getting really comfortable with the idea of a cap on the number of users you can quote in a post, ESPECIALLY in the case where it's to dunk on people after a 20 game sample size.

At the end of the day, I dont know if this whole exercise was worth anyone's while and I really don't want to have to lock this thread because you didn't take the high road in this scenario.

I'd probably change your tone on how much you care about people "liking" you online if I were you. I can only go to bat for you so many times before the bank of my good will runs out. Why be anything less than your best self while you're in this community? What purpose does pissing everyone else off serve?

I'm not aware of any time you went to bat for me, what is that all about? Did you think I was asking you to defend me?? Because if you reread my post clearly that isn't the case: I was basically accused of violating the forum rules so I proactively asked a mod to tell me if I had.

Your response, while answering my question, was something less than impartial. Thats not cool coming from a moderator. I expect better.
29 nov. 2021 à 14 h 49
You care enough about random strangers to quote all of them who posted on the first page because Ceci has been slightly above mediocre for 20 games, and you care enough to personally quote me because you believe the Oilers and Hurricanes starting out good somehow forgives them having lackluster offseasons.

Normally you post statistics and analytics to prove your point. Don't see those here this time around. Might have something to do with Ceci's 5v5 CF%, FF%, GF% and xGF% all being under 50%. Relatives in the negatives too.

It's great that you believe Ceci has been worth his money so far; but it's 20 games into a four year contract and he doesn't have a good track record. His numbers so far really don't back up his value either.

According to Cult of Hockey, Ceci has made the fewest mistakes on Grade A chances against (per 15) of any Oilers defenseman. His negative numbers come from being stapled to Keith who isn't suited to the shutdown role they're asked to play constantly.
29 nov. 2021 à 15 h 11
Jeuck75
Mentions "j'aime": 1,602
Still feel that way?

Yep, lol
Roysboy72 et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 15 h 46
Yep, lol

According to Cult of Hockey, Ceci has made the fewest mistakes on Grade A chances against (per 15) of any Oilers defenseman. His negative on-ice numbers come from being stapled to Keith who isn't suited to the shutdown role they're asked to play constantly.
Jeuck75 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 16 h 5
Jeuck75
Mentions "j'aime": 1,602
According to Cult of Hockey, Ceci has made the fewest mistakes on Grade A chances against (per 15) of any Oilers defenseman. His negative on-ice numbers come from being stapled to Keith who isn't suited to the shutdown role they're asked to play constantly.

His contract is still way to high and long
29 nov. 2021 à 16 h 47
His contract is still way to high and long

I don't think that's reasonable. His AAV is 108th among defensemen, that puts him as a mid-pack 4th defenseman on average, not counting the many guys on ELC's and RFA contracts, which probably push him down to an average 5th defenseman in pay. He has EASILY been better than a league average 5th defenseman so far this year.
29 nov. 2021 à 16 h 55
WentWughes
I don't think that's reasonable. His AAV is 108th among defensemen, that puts him as a mid-pack 4th defenseman on average, not counting the many guys on ELC's and RFA contracts, which probably push him down to an average 5th defenseman in pay. He has EASILY been better than a league average 5th defenseman so far this year.

Look at his advanced stats. He's been ****ing awful. No way is he paid like the leagues 5th defender
Jeuck75 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 2
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Look at his advanced stats. He's been ****ing awful. No way is he paid like the leagues 5th defender

His on-ice numbers are being dragged down by Keith and massive D zone starts. He's been fantastic so far - well above expectations. Not to mention that he's being paid like a 3rd pairing guy yet actually facing much tougher comp and much higher ice time.
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 33
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,630
His on-ice numbers are being dragged down by Keith and massive D zone starts. He's been fantastic so far - well above expectations. Not to mention that he's being paid like a 3rd pairing guy yet actually facing much tougher comp and much higher ice time.

Just to comment on Ceci. He was very much maligned in his one year as Leaf. But. once a player gets a reputation on CapFriendly, it's hard to shake. I'm not sure if it was great value when he signed his latest contract, but as you suggest Ceci has played to contract and more. He plays heavy minutes, including the PK where the Oilers have the sixth ranked team.
It's almost similar to Leafs Holl. Don't know why folks think a RHD who plays 20 minutes a night, hard minutes, for good team isn't good enough. Plus he makes just 2m.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 17 h 45
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,630

I was reading some of the previous posts, and talking about the your likability and your responses comments.
You've been a one of the big number posters for years. I'm glad to read your insight on players, or trades. You've always been polite as I have seen, and present a logical discussion on issues on this site.
Keep up the good work.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
29 nov. 2021 à 18 h 54
WentWughes
Quoting: Random2152
There are easier ways to say that you are entirely incapable of player eval you know

His defense has looked good. but his offense has been ****ing terrible

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage