Forums/NHL Trades

(OTT/VGK) - Dadonov for Holden and 2022 3rd round pick

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 juill. 2021 à 14 h 53
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 230
So this was who Vegas decided to spend their MAF money on. As a Sharks fan, I'm happy to see whenever McCrimmon screws up with trades and signings. But as a general hockey fan, I just don't get this trade apart from being a cap dump for a team that really doesn't need cap dumps.
Saskleaf et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2021 à 16 h 38
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 69
Quoting: EmpressKayla
Dadonov went from 1LW to washed up in just one season. Perhaps he can turn it around in VGK, which would make this a great buy-low deal for the team. Still, is that really the best way for VGK to use all that cap space?

I don't feel like it is a buy low deal, it is in terms of what they gave up, but I doubt Dadonov would be worth 2/5m per on the open market, and the cap space is more important for VEG, you could be right about a turnaround tho.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2021 à 16 h 45
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,395
Modifié 29 juill. 2021 à 9 h 51
Vegas didn't need a RW and are now over the cap.

The only way this makes sense is if Vegas use Dadonov in their offer for Eichel, by directly flipping him and/or sending other wingers.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2021 à 20 h 49
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
It's a better use of capspace than backup goaltender.
29 juill. 2021 à 9 h 47
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 24,617
Philipp Danault would have been a much better acquisition for Las Vegas, and at no cost. Coupled with the Fleury debacle, I don't know what the Golden Knights' front office is thinking. These deals make absolutely no sense unless they are to facilitate an Eichel deal.
areax91 a aimé ceci.
21 août 2021 à 8 h 47
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 541
This trade doesn't make sense to me, especially for Vegas. For Ottawa it looks like a salary dump for a team that doesn't need to dump salary, though at least they got some useful assets in return, so it could be good for them. Holden won't be around when their rebuild starts to bear fruit, but he's still a good player and he might be able to mentor their younger defensemen.

I didn't see the Sens enough this season to know if there were extenuating circumstances contributing to Dadonov's bad numbers or if he just proved that he's only as good as his linemates, but I suspect it's the latter. Before last season Ottawa let Anthony Duclair go and brought in Dadonov as a UFA. Duclair took Dadonov's spot in Florida and put up better points-per-game numbers than Dadonov had in that position while Dadonov's numbers in Ottawa weren't anywhere close to what Duclair had done there. Considering that Ottawa didn't think Duclair was good enough to qualify for under $2M, that doesn't look good on Dadonov. Ottawa must have reached the same conclusion because even after signing Tkachuk and Batherson they would have had more than enough cap space to keep Dadonov and give him another chance. So why did Vegas want him? That's the part that really has me baffled. Their only weak spot appears to be at center, but Dadonov is strictly a winger, and as far as I know they don't have another top 6 winger they could move to center to create a spot for Dadonov. So why would a team who always seems to be trying to free up cap space to go after the next big name available take on a $5M cap hit for a guy who doesn't address their biggest need, doesn't seem to be good enough to play in their top 6 and hasn't shown any ability to succeed in a lesser role? I don't get it. I suppose you could argue that Pacioretty was coming off a bad season when they acquired him, and that worked out pretty well for them, but I don't think Dadonov is in the same class as Pacioretty.
OldNYIfan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
6 avr. 2022 à 15 h 3
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 24,617
Quoting: jr400
This trade doesn't make sense to me, especially for Vegas. For Ottawa it looks like a salary dump for a team that doesn't need to dump salary, though at least they got some useful assets in return, so it could be good for them. Holden won't be around when their rebuild starts to bear fruit, but he's still a good player and he might be able to mentor their younger defensemen.

I didn't see the Sens enough this season to know if there were extenuating circumstances contributing to Dadonov's bad numbers or if he just proved that he's only as good as his linemates, but I suspect it's the latter. Before last season Ottawa let Anthony Duclair go and brought in Dadonov as a UFA. Duclair took Dadonov's spot in Florida and put up better points-per-game numbers than Dadonov had in that position while Dadonov's numbers in Ottawa weren't anywhere close to what Duclair had done there. Considering that Ottawa didn't think Duclair was good enough to qualify for under $2M, that doesn't look good on Dadonov. Ottawa must have reached the same conclusion because even after signing Tkachuk and Batherson they would have had more than enough cap space to keep Dadonov and give him another chance. So why did Vegas want him? That's the part that really has me baffled. Their only weak spot appears to be at center, but Dadonov is strictly a winger, and as far as I know they don't have another top 6 winger they could move to center to create a spot for Dadonov. So why would a team who always seems to be trying to free up cap space to go after the next big name available take on a $5M cap hit for a guy who doesn't address their biggest need, doesn't seem to be good enough to play in their top 6 and hasn't shown any ability to succeed in a lesser role? I don't get it. I suppose you could argue that Pacioretty was coming off a bad season when they acquired him, and that worked out pretty well for them, but I don't think Dadonov is in the same class as Pacioretty.

Too much intelligent and thorough analysis, which has only improved with time. Too bad that it seems to have been wasted on desert air.

In light of what's happened since, this trade only looks worse than it did to 87 of us at the time.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 nov. 2023 à 22 h 17
So because of this trade, Ottawa had to forfeit a 1st-round draft pick. Does anybody know why? I know Dadonov had a 10-team no-trade list, but if Vegas wasn't on it, Ottawa had every right to make this trade. If Vegas was on his no-trade list but Dadonov didn't object to being traded there (like he did when Vegas tried to trade him to Anaheim), doesn't that effectively mean he waived his no-trade clause? What could Ottawa possibly have done wrong to deserve such a severe penalty? And if Ottawa was penalized for this trade, why didn't Vegas get penalized for their attempted trade?
4 nov. 2023 à 22 h 17
So because of this trade, Ottawa had to forfeit a 1st-round draft pick. Does anybody know why? I know Dadonov had a 10-team no-trade list, but if Vegas wasn't on it, Ottawa had every right to make this trade. If Vegas was on his no-trade list but Dadonov didn't object to being traded there (like he did when Vegas tried to trade him to Anaheim), doesn't that effectively mean he waived his no-trade clause? What could Ottawa possibly have done wrong to deserve such a severe penalty? And if Ottawa was penalized for this trade, why didn't Vegas get penalized for their attempted trade?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage