SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Chicago Blackhawks signed Seth Jones (8 Years / $9,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 juill. 2021 à 20 h 40
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,219
Good trade - atrocious signing. Just awful for the Hawks
23 juill. 2021 à 20 h 45
HonestHockeyNYI
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 278
Modifié 23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 7
Holy overpay....and that's gonna hurt more if they give him any sort of trade/move protection.

*EDIT* They gave him a full NMC...oh boy.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 20 h 55
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
Love the player, but outside of Hedman I dont know if i would pay any Dman $8mil or more per season. 8years is nuts too- and that doesnt start till next year. Those last few years are going to suck.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 21 h 6
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,439
The **** is wrong with stan
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 21 h 27
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 295
Modifié 26 juill. 2021 à 12 h 33
Quoting: Jco5ta5
THEN they won 3 Stanley Cups in 6 years. THEN they went to 5 WCF in 7 years. Calm down. Seth Freakin Jones in a great player and a HUGE upgrade to our D corp. Yes the contract sucks but Hawks have tons of money and as you know, anybody can be traded for any reason. It's fine.

They won the cups 6 years ago. That was great. But let's not act like Stan Bowman has made good moves since then. As for Seth Jones, he is most certainly not a great player. He is barely an average player. For the last 2 years, he has been below average. He was a bit above average offensively in the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons. But before that, all his offense came on the powerplay. Even then, he was just a bit above average. His defense this year was atrocious with a -3.4 below replacement. Before this year, he has been hovering around replacement. His WAR this year was -1, and he has been teetering just above 0 for the last 2 years.

In conclusion, Seth Jones is an average, to below-average, second pair defenseman. No where near $9.5 mil/8 years. If the Hawks were willing to shell out that much on a defenseman, Hamilton is available. Martinez is available. Even Cale Makar and Rasmus Dahlin are technically available and worth an oversheet. If they wanted to trade that much, they could get the rights to Quinn Hughes, or Nate Schmidt (same value, much cheaper), Brendan Dillon, etc.

What I am getting at is that if they were ready to spend that much on a player, there are dozens of better options that wouldn't make the future even worse.
23 juill. 2021 à 21 h 30
sen krak fan
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,516
Overpayment I would say. But c'mon, give him a chance, you can't just go listing him as a Top 5 worst contract in the league.
23 juill. 2021 à 21 h 35
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,880
Seeing people saying he's worth 7.5M on here and Twitter - are you really worried about an extra 2.5% of the cap going to someone they believe can play on their top-pair? Losing out on that 2.5% is worth it if they are able to acquire Jones, which they did.

Maybe it's a little rich, but Chicago is still better in the short and long term with him on their team than the assets they gave up, including that hypothetical 2.5% forgone based on what he's "worth" to other users.
23 juill. 2021 à 21 h 45
Smythe.over.Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
Is Seth Jones going to be a good asset for Chicago? Yes. Is he a top pairing defenseman? Yes. Has he taken a lot of flack from fans this year about analytics while playing for garbage teams? Yes.
But my god. 8 years. 9.5 M. Stan, what in the world are you doing? Bad trade. Worse signing. Blackhawks you had a good run. But the glory days are over for a while.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 22 h 21
HawksFan28
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 138
As a Hawks fan I was initially a real proponent of making the trade to bring in Seth Jones, however the more I thought about it the more opposed I became. And now I'm of the opinion that this was totally unnecessary - I mean all the Hawks needed (and still do) are a couple of UFA short-term defensive signings to man the blue line until the kids were ready to takeover, however this is a massive knee-jerk reaction to a problem that had it's solution rooted in unrestricted free agency.. And what Bowman had to give up to make this happen is straight up ridiculous. I mean I don't know if I would have traded Boqvist straight up for Seth Jones because there is no doubt Boqvist will eventually be the better of the two, and without a doubt Boqvist will be chasing a Norris within 5 years, right around the time Bowman realizes he made a massive mistake. Also, weather this is true or not -- but Bowman just made a franchise defenseman out of Seth Jones.

If I was in Bowman's shoes and if there was any truth to the rumors that Columbus was asking for Dach or DeBrincat in the deal, I would have walked away at that very moment and not continued to try and negotiate, that would have been the end of it.. But if I had to make an offer it certainly wouldn't have included Boqvist, I mean he should have been just as untouchable as Dach or DeBrincat - however I would have offered something along the lines of Dylan Strome, Nicolas Beaudin and a 2nd round pick, if not then no deal.. And as far as the extension, I think a realistic value would have been 8x8.

As far as the extension --- I'm not going to say there are any GM's in the league that could have done any better - there was zero doubt that Jones be it now or as a UFA would want 9M+ per on a maximum term contract - that was just going to be the reality of the Jones situation, however Bowman could have steered clear of it.. I mean it only cost Bowman Adam Boqvist, the 11th overall pick and a 2022 first round pick -- oh yea, and on top of all of that -- a cap hit of 9.5 million per season for the next 7 years. Sorry but that price tag for Seth Jones just isn't worth it... And of course Columbus takes Cole Sillinger with the pick, smh...

Of course despite my feelings on the deal itself, Seth Jones is still a really good add however I just don't like the price. And like I pointed out -- you can criticize the extension all you like however don't pretend for a second that Jones wasn't getting 9M+ from any GM via extension or as a UFA..
Jco5ta5 et RawDeal a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 22 h 26
Bedard23
Quoting: JackAce91
They won the cups 6 years ago. That was great. But let's not act like Stan Bowman has made good moves since then. As for Seth Jones, he is most certainly not a great player. He is barely an average player. For the last 2 years, he has been below average. He was a bit above average offensively in the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons. But before that, all his offense came on the powerplay. Even then, he was just a bit above average. His defense this year was atrocious with a -3.4 below replacement. Before this year, he has been hovering around replacement. His WAR this year was -1, and he has been teetering just above 0 for the last 2 years.

In conclusion, Seth Jones is an average, to below-average, second pair defenseman. No where near $9.5 mil/8 years. If the Hawks were willing to shell out that much on a defenseman, Hamilton is available. Martinez is available. Even Cale Makar and Rasmus Dahlin are technically available and worth an oversheet. If they wanted to trade that much, they could get the rights to Quinn Hughes, over Nate Schmidt (same value, much cheaper), Brendan Dillon, etc.

What I am getting at is that if they were ready to spend that much on a player, there are dozens of better options that wouldn't make the future even worse.

He had one bad year his underline stats are good he has a good two way game but what we offered him is gonna turn into the next Karl Alzner
Jco5ta5 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 22 h 35
HawksFan28
Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
Holy overpay....and that's gonna hurt more if they give him any sort of trade/move protection.

Oh give it a rest, as a Hawks fan I'm not too fond of this deal either however do any of you really believe other GM's could have done any better? if you do then you obviously haven't been paying attention to free agency because there would be at least a half a dozen GM's lined up to give Jones that deal - it's just the way it works - its the reality of free agency... GM's work themselves into temporary hysteria and offer insane contracts and probably regret it before the ink is dry.... So please save the criticism because we all know that's how it works..

I mean ideally, er if I was Bowman I would have focused on adding much needed defenseman via UFA. This UFA class isn't too shabby, Suter, Savard, Yandle er Hjalmarsson would have all been adequate "stopgaps" that could hold the blue line until the kids were ready to take over in a few years and you can bet all of the aforementioned would be open to 3-year deals at less than 5 per season. Heck, I bet all 4 could be had for 3M per...

But yea, the idea that Seth Jones was going to sign for anything less is laughable. Realistically Jones is worth around 8M per, but unrestricted free agency in the NHL (probably all sports) somehow manages to violate objective reality and it seems almost every UFA that's signed is overpaid. I mean name the last time a top UFA was signed and you said to yourself "Wow, __________ really got a bargain on that deal, that contract is going to age gracefully", lol - yea, that just doesn't happen.. smh
23 juill. 2021 à 22 h 41
HawksFan28
Quoting: IconicHawk
He had one bad year his underline stats are good he has a good two way game but what we offered him is gonna turn into the next Karl Alzner

It's far too early to make any predictions. On face value this trade and extension is ridiculous but hopefully Seth fits the Hawks like a glove and Hawks fans look back on this trade/signing and laugh.

On the bright side he is only 26, the last couple of seasons have been "weird" to say the least and hopefully once things get back to normal things will fall into line and Jones becomes the anchor of the Hawks D... Well, I suppose Jones has to become the anchor of the Hawks D now considering he just became the Hawks franchise defenseman.
23 juill. 2021 à 22 h 42
Bedard23
Quoting: HawksFan28
It's far too early to make any predictions. On face value this trade and extension is ridiculous but hopefully Seth fits the Hawks like a glove and Hawks fans look back on this trade/signing and laugh.

On the bright side he is only 26, the last couple of seasons have been "weird" to say the least and hopefully once things get back to normal things will fall into line and Jones becomes the anchor of the Hawks D... Well, I suppose Jones has to become the anchor of the Hawks D now considering he just became the Hawks franchise defenseman.

True it’s never a good idea to make a prediction as soon as it comes out
HawksFan28 a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 13
Robert Thomas Szn
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 33
How has Stan Bowman not been fired yet?
Saskleaf et JackAce91 a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 16
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 5,450
Full NMC wow
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 18
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 363
Quoting: AndrewLadd
If I learned anything this week it’s that being tall in the NHL matters more than literally anything else when it comes to contract negotiations

If you're a tall right-shot defenseman who can skate on ice, you got at least a 50% shot of being an nhler.
AndrewLadd a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 23
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Wait, you're telling me he's just as valuable as Hedman and Josi before the pandemic/flat cap? He's worth $1M more than Heiskanen per season, despite being nearly 5 years older? Stan, Stan, Stan...WTF are you doing here? I like Seth Jones a lot as a player, but he's not worth more than $8M AAV. And that doesn't even take into consideration the huge haul of assets you gave up to get him for 1 season. Worst trade of the day, imo.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 28
Seth Jones acquired a rep as a Norris caliber Defenseman a few seasons ago. He put up really good offensive numbers in one season: 2017-18. Since then, his numbers have declined each season. His defensive game has never been strong, contrary to popular belief. In my opinion, he's worth between $5.5M - $6.5M on an 8 year contract. Anything more, and you're just buying into the fact that he's been the single most overhyped player in the NHL over the last 5 seasons.
OldNYIfan et Dantares24 a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 30
This is one of the worst signings I've ever seen since I've been watching this site. For the record, Skinner was #1 and Bob was #2.
OldNYIfan et Dantares24 a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 46
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,176
Quoting: Brian2016
This is one of the worst signings I've ever seen since I've been watching this site. For the record, Skinner was #1 and Bob was #2.

Two bullets dodged for CBJ 👀
Brian2016 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 52
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Tough to see Jones go, i've loved him as a player, but we got a phenomenal haul for him, and that contract is atrocious. In Jarmo We Trust.
Saskleaf, OldNYIfan et Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
23 juill. 2021 à 23 h 54
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,010
Quoting: mondo
Looking forward to this website turning on Jones in 2-3 years.

They already have
24 juill. 2021 à 0 h 4
GO FLAMES GO
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 10,556
Please tell me its not buyout proof
24 juill. 2021 à 0 h 22
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: Jco5ta5
I'm not saying this is a win but Seth Jones is a big upgrade. This contract sucks but when you're $20M under the cap who cares? This was a good move and contract isn't ideal but oh well. Bottom line, Hawks upgraded their roster today. Also I don't like Boqvist so bye.

Wait 3 years and this will stink a lot. There is really no way to consider this good for the hawks in anyway as it's 8 YEARS (if this was 2-3 years or something I'd say it's somewhat fair)!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
24 juill. 2021 à 1 h 3
Jeuck75
Mentions "j'aime": 1,600
This is gonna end up being just like the Erik Karlsson trade. That 2022 CHI 1st is gonna end up being a lottery pick or worse Shane Wright😆🤣🤣😆😆
Gmonwy a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage