SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(ARI/NYI) - Future Considerations for Ladd, 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd, 2023 conditional 3rd

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

17 juill. 2021 à 19 h 16
Daws is underrated
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 636
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Well he’s been amazing this off-season. Not so much last year.

Yep
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
17 juill. 2021 à 20 h 8
CHI NYI
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,253
Both teams win here imo, although the Isles not giving up a 1st to move him is a massive plus for them tbh
Trotz2020 a aimé ceci.
17 juill. 2021 à 20 h 11
Banni
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4
Quoting: CapFriendly

Lou with this much cap space with a already very good team kinda worries me. Great return for yokes though

17 juill. 2021 à 20 h 27
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
dude cap space is king in the flat salary cap world

how else would the islanders have been mugged for all of their lunch money

Wasn't Ladd on LTIR already?

He hasn't played in 2 years.

So how did the affect cap space?
17 juill. 2021 à 20 h 32
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 15
Quoting: drewjenkins

Ladd is healthy. He just sucks and isn't even worth playing for your AHL team.
drewjenkins et Trotz2020 a aimé ceci.
17 juill. 2021 à 20 h 38
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: Isles69420
Ladd is healthy. He just sucks and isn't even worth playing for your AHL team.

lmao learn something new every day.
17 juill. 2021 à 22 h 32
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 993
Well he’s been amazing this off-season. Not so much last year.

Even last year wasn't a bad off-season, especially when combined with the deadline. The one questionable move was Toews, but Lou was backed into a corner there. After that, it's been one strong transaction after another.
17 juill. 2021 à 22 h 53
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: Hockyluv21
Even last year wasn't a bad off-season, especially when combined with the deadline. The one questionable move was Toews, but Lou was backed into a corner there. After that, it's been one strong transaction after another.

Trading a near Norris-level defenseman for 2 2nds instead of someone like Nick Leddy is a pretty massive blunder if you ask me, no matter how bad your cap situation is.
Faulk_my_Dzingel a aimé ceci.
17 juill. 2021 à 22 h 55
Trading a near Norris-level defenseman for 2 2nds instead of someone like Nick Leddy is a pretty massive blunder if you ask me, no matter how bad your cap situation is.

And yet, the Isles still forced Tampa to play one more ECF game than the year prior. Maybe it wasn't the most efficient possible move there was to get under the cap, but Leddy had a nice rebound season (enough to get a late 2nd the off season afterwards!), and when you look at how the team performed overall, I think their overall outlook for the next decade with Lou/Trotz is still incredibly bright.
17 juill. 2021 à 22 h 58
Former Hockey Fan
And yet, the Isles still forced Tampa to play one more ECF game than the year prior. Maybe it wasn't the most efficient possible move there was to get under the cap, but when you look at how the team performed overall, I think their overall outlook is still incredibly bright.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the Isles aren’t in a great position right now to be contenders for years. I’m just saying he made the worst trade of the offseason last year. Both can be true. I mean the Oilers traded away Gretzky in 1988 and still won the Stanley Cup in 1990.
17 juill. 2021 à 23 h 4
GM CRIME DAWG
Mentions "j'aime": 2,691
Modifié 17 juill. 2021 à 23 h 17
Isles win in the "here and now/just win mode" part of the trade and Yotes win the "future" aspect...

In a week of moves, NYI went from 17 NHLers signed and only US$6M in Cap Space last week to currently @ 18 NHLers signed & US$12Mil in space...
Good GM moves when you're painted in the corner
17 juill. 2021 à 23 h 59
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,173
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'm voting Arizona because I'm tired of seeing that franchise flounder and the fact they've had the wherewithal to acquire more draft capital suggests good things. I can see them trading into the first round next weekend.

I'm tired that they still are in Arizona. I don't even know if coyotes fans exist lol.
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
18 juill. 2021 à 2 h 7
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,429
Surprisingly low price for taking on Ladd's contract. Considering that Carolina got pick #13 for taking on the Marleau buyout, this is a really good deal for the Isles.

^Smart comment right here^

The maths dont add up on the value of dead money !

Marleau : 6M caphit (4M in salary) = 1 low 1st
Ladd: 2x5.5M caphit (8M in salary) = 2 low 2nds

What am I not getting?!
18 juill. 2021 à 2 h 25
Isles7
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,299

The Toews trade was awful - the isles took calls on Leddy last offseason but Trotz valued Leddy over Toews and didn’t want him traded. Coaches shouldn’t have that much pull.
18 juill. 2021 à 4 h 44
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
ARI is still a joke of a franchise. I can count on one hand the number of solid management decisions they've made over the last 5 years. Actually, I can count on one finger: Drafting and signing Jacob Chychrun at a relatively low AAV. But, that's far outweighed by years of terrible drafting, trades, UFA signings, and bad RFA extensions, like Keller.
18 juill. 2021 à 4 h 48
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: jpsnow13

What am I not getting?!

And Saad was dealt during a flat cap era. The price for dumping him should've been higher when you consider how much more valuable csap space is today than it was a couple years ago. This was a total fleecing.
18 juill. 2021 à 8 h 12
Quoting: jpsnow13

What am I not getting?!

One thing that may be different in the two situations is that Toronto was way further against the salary cap when the trade was made. Isles traded Leddy for a 2nd rounder before this deal was finished, so they had far greater leverage than Toronto did. There also was a hugely toxic 35+ buyout on Marleau's contract that saved zero cap hit whatsoever, unlike the Ladd situation. I still think the Isles did incredibly well here.
18 juill. 2021 à 8 h 50
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
ARI is still a joke of a franchise. I can count on one hand the number of solid management decisions they've made over the last 5 years. Actually, I can count on one finger: Drafting and signing Jacob Chychrun at a relatively low AAV. But, that's far outweighed by years of terrible drafting, trades, UFA signings, and bad RFA extensions, like Keller.

Not to mention the fact that their owner is a cheap **** who doesn’t pay his constituents, and doesn’t understand that running a hockey team in Arizona means you’ll lose money.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
18 juill. 2021 à 10 h 39
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,429
One thing that may be different in the two situations is that Toronto was way further against the salary cap when the trade was made. Isles traded Leddy for a 2nd rounder before this deal was finished, so they had far greater leverage than Toronto did. There also was a hugely toxic 35+ buyout on Marleau's contract that saved zero cap hit whatsoever, unlike the Ladd situation. I still think the Isles did incredibly well here.

Sorry but his isnt it.

Leverage is comparable and Ladd cant be bought out neither ( 6M in signing bonuses).
18 juill. 2021 à 12 h 0
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: drewjenkins

i mean, i haven't exactly been keeping up with Andrew Ladd's status, but, supposing he was mostly injured for the last 2 years, LTIR is still not the most favorable situation you want to find yourself in. it's "Extra Cap Space™" with a whole lotta caveats. as a GM, you don't want to find yourself having to use LTIR if you don't absolutely have to. it's still preferable to dump the contract altogether.
F50marco a aimé ceci.
18 juill. 2021 à 12 h 6
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
Didn't cost him too much. Net loss of a conditional 2nd and 3rd to clear up 11 mil. That's a lot less than I would have expected.
let's take a look at the list of scenarios under which Lou could have gotten rid of Ladd's contract, in order of desirability:
1) trade Ladd to the Coyotes, get draft picks back
2) trade Ladd to the Coyotes, get no draft picks back
3) trade Ladd to the Coyotes and sweeten the deal with draft picks, get draft picks back
4) trade Ladd to the Coyotes and sweeten the deal with draft picks, get no draft picks back
5) buy out Ladd

1) didn't happen because Ladd has no trade value. 2) didn't happen because Ladd's contract is too onerous for that, and he isn't just some AHL tweener schmuck. you'd think 3) would have been the idea, but, apparently, it didn't happen. 4) is what actually happened, and, well, 5) is a terrible option for Ladd's contract.

sure, Lou didn't burn a 1st-round pick (and i doubt Bill Armstrong would've gotten a 1st out of Lou, anyway), but asset management 101 says "having to burn extra assets to rid yourself of a toxic one is a bad situation to find yourself in." you can see that what happened was next to the worst-case scenario for dumping Ladd's contract. this is a Pyrrhic victory, at best, for the Islanders. "draft picks are magic beans" blah blah blah that's the sunk cost fallacy; Lou still burned three picks to get rid of Ladd's contract.
F50marco a aimé ceci.
18 juill. 2021 à 14 h 30
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
I hope Ladd at least plays in enough games to reach the 1'000 game mark.
18 juill. 2021 à 14 h 34
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
let's take a look at the list of scenarios under which Lou could have gotten rid of Ladd's contract, in order of desirability:
1) trade Ladd to the Coyotes, get draft picks back
2) trade Ladd to the Coyotes, get no draft picks back
3) trade Ladd to the Coyotes and sweeten the deal with draft picks, get draft picks back
4) trade Ladd to the Coyotes and sweeten the deal with draft picks, get no draft picks back
5) buy out Ladd

1) didn't happen because Ladd has no trade value. 2) didn't happen because Ladd's contract is too onerous for that, and he isn't just some AHL tweener schmuck. you'd think 3) would have been the idea, but, apparently, it didn't happen. 4) is what actually happened, and, well, 5) is a terrible option for Ladd's contract.

sure, Lou didn't burn a 1st-round pick (and i doubt Bill Armstrong would've gotten a 1st out of Lou, anyway), but asset management 101 says "having to burn extra assets to rid yourself of a toxic one is a bad situation to find yourself in." you can see that what happened was next to the worst-case scenario for dumping Ladd's contract. this is a Pyrrhic victory, at best, for the Islanders. "draft picks are magic beans" blah blah blah that's the sunk cost fallacy; Lou still burned three picks to get rid of Ladd's contract.

2 Draft picks, no chance in hell Ladd plays 1 game in the 22-23 season, to garner another 3rd Rd pick. Even the Yotes can't handle the cap structure to bring that contract up from the minors, where he'll play or retire.
18 juill. 2021 à 16 h 42
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
2 Draft picks, no chance in hell Ladd plays 1 game in the 22-23 season, to garner another 3rd Rd pick. Even the Yotes can't handle the cap structure to bring that contract up from the minors, where he'll play or retire.
well, if Bill Armstrong's not dumb, he'll get Ladd to play 1 game in 2022-23 to get that pick. pretty easy condition to fulfill and also not that hard to have Ladd come up for 1 game. play him in the first game of the season, say, "oh, well, we're just seeing if he can still handle the NHL," and then put him on waivers and send him down.
18 juill. 2021 à 18 h 32
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 6
Quoting: Isles777
Ladd should have cost a 1st + 2nd to move. Two late 2nds and a 3rd is great for the isles

Not to mention they're only guaranteed two of those picks.
Isles777 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage