Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 39
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,077
Quoting: yikes
NHL on TNT (Turner Sports) has OFFICIALLY announced their panel with Gretzky:

Wayne Gretzky (Goat)
Anson Carter (Analyst and former player)
Rick Tocchet (Recent Former Yotes coach and former player)
Paul Bissonnette (super dope they got him)
Host : Liam McHugh (no idea)

This actually gives me high hopes. Taking the model from NBA on TNT

Shaq : Anson Carter maybe? I like Carter so
Ernie : Gretzky for sure, great match
Kenny : Tocchet seems like a good fit
Barkley : Biznasty 100%, great match

Either way this is probably the most promising panel they coulda put together.

Wow great cast of guys for this! actually looking forward to it lol

better than pierre mcguire
A_Habs_fan et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,647
What do you guys think about Bo Horvat, cause throughout the past month/years I've heard many conflicting reports about him.

Some people see him as this borderline elite player, with great two way play and others see him as massively overrated and not very good at defense.

What's your take on him?
15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 44
Quoting: SevenLeg
Gary Bettman's contract as the NHL commissioner is expiring after the upcoming season.

Let's hope it's not renewed and that it relieves Canadian teams that were, for over a thousand generations, the guardians of prosperity, success and glory in the old NHL... before the dark times... before the empire.

im so sick oh his bias.

Literally every ontarian i talk to say putting a team in the golden horseshoe or the tri-cities would be a great ideas. Leaf games sell out no problem so theres obv insane demand, put in another team and make the leafs have to actually be good in order to sell tickets! Also sets up another rivalry with DET, TOR, and OTT. Instant business.

Same thing in Quebec city! Put a team there and make the habs have some competition, spark some new rivalries, etc.

Hes purposefully blind and biased. If he cared about the game hed put another team in ontario and quebec
SevenLeg et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 52
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,426
Quoting: Brian2016
Devils sign 3 PTO's, including Jimmy Vesey. Hard to believe he's on a PTO with a bottom tier team (at least for the last several seasons) considering his age and how sought after he was when he signed with the Rangers out of college. I'd bet on him to make the team out of camp and put up decent bottom six numbers this season. His numbers with the Rangers were really solid. He was terrible after he was dealt to BUF. Looks like a potential home run for Tom Fitzgerald.

Could be a 4th liner for us
Or an extra forward
Good move by Fitz
15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 53
Quoting: ConservativeLightningFan91
My personal predictions for this year (not finalized):
Metropolitan:
1) New York Islanders
2) Washington Capitals (After this IMO, it's wide open)
3) Carolina Hurricanes (The offense is too stacked for them to miss the playoffs, even with their problems on D (after Slavin-Pesce) and in net)
4) New York Rangers (WC #2) (I am completely torn on whether the Rangers or Flyers get this WC spot, I'm tentatively leaning towards the former as I see Kakko, Lafreniere and Shesterkin all taking big steps forward this year)
5) Philadelphia Flyers (They could easily make the playoffs if the D allows Hart to rebound from his abysmal McElhinney-esque campaign)
6) New Jersey Devils (They're getting there, but not quite there yet)
7) Pittsburgh Penguins (Time's run out on this group. Malkin can't stay healthy, Crosby's age is catching up to him as well, and Jarry is not a long-term solution in net)
8) Columbus Blue Jackets

Atlantic:
1) Tampa Bay Lightning
2) Boston Bruins
3) Florida Panthers
4) Toronto Maple Leafs (WC #1)
5) Montreal Canadiens (JUST miss)
6) Detroit Red Wings (Ahead of Ottawa due to Ned in goal)
7) Ottawa Senators
8) Buffalo Sabres (Duh)

Central:
1) Colorado Avalanche (Don't worry about the bottom 6, the top 6 will more than make up for it, the D is stellar, and Kuemper will be a Vezina contender)
2) Winnipeg Jets (HUGE and much-needed improvements on D in the off-season make them one of the most well-rounded teams in the conference, but not better than the Avs)
3) St. Louis Blues (Robbed the Rangers blind with the Buchnevich trade and got a steal in Saad, the D has some questions but I like 'em)
4) Chicago Blackhawks (WC #1) (Fleury will be HUGE for this team. If Toews can stay healthy and Kane and Debrincat continue to produce, they'll easily make the playoffs)
5) Minnesota Wild (WC #2) (Just ahead of Dallas due to better D and goaltending)
6) Dallas Stars
7) Nashville Predators
8) Arizona (Sorry, Houston) Coyotes

Pacific:
1) Vegas Golden Knights (After this, the weakest division in the league)
2) Calgary Flames (The offense is absolutely stacked, and Markstrom will have a terrific season (you heard it here first))
3) Edmonton Oilers (The D is absolute hot garbage, but McDavid and Draisaitl aren't missing the playoffs)
4) Vancouver Canucks (Miss playoffs, Benning finally gets fired)
5) Seattle Kraken (Good D and goaltending, but lack of offense)
6) Los Angeles Kings
7) San Jose Sharks
8) Anaheim Ducks

I dont think boston finishes second. I dont doubt they make the playoffs, but second only to tampa?

Goalie depth is very questionable, LD is a problem, defense raises an eyebrow behind McAvoy/Grzelyck, Center depth is also very meh, the only thing they really have is an amazing LW, plus their core is aging, Marchand and Bergeron can only be amazing for so long.

I'm being completely honest and unbiased, I dont see them finishing second, I see them depending on how well the first line can play, competing for third or the wild card. Theres a lot more young, hungry teams waiting and willing to take their spot.

I see the top three being
1. Tampa
2. Florida/Toronto (Depends on how well the leafs adapt without hyman and the play in net, as well as if florida is as good as they look on paper. Im giving florida the advantage here)
3. Toronto/Florida

WC. Boston/Montreal
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 8 h 59
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,729
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
How good is this?
Marchand-Crosby-M.Tkachuk
Toffoli-Horvat-Bjorkstrand
Fabbri-Vilardi-A.Wagner
Jarnkrok-Glendening-Perry

Chabot-Cernak
Girard-Bear
Oesterle-Mayfield

Gibson
Brossoit

esoyeezus69
sevenleg

I’d say contenders, the offence is on point.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 9
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,291
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
im so sick oh his bias.

Literally every ontarian i talk to say putting a team in the golden horseshoe or the tri-cities would be a great ideas. Leaf games sell out no problem so theres obv insane demand, put in another team and make the leafs have to actually be good in order to sell tickets! Also sets up another rivalry with DET, TOR, and OTT. Instant business.

Same thing in Quebec city! Put a team there and make the habs have some competition, spark some new rivalries, etc.

Hes purposefully blind and biased. If he cared about the game hed put another team in ontario and quebec

I actually understand why there's no team in QBC City, i'm not sure it would work, also where's the other Ontarian team go? Toronto again? I mean i guess all Leafs fan would just switch to the other team since they wouldn't have a long cup drought
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
My personal predictions for this year (not finalized):
Metropolitan:
1) New York Islanders
2) Washington Capitals (After this IMO, it's wide open)
3) Carolina Hurricanes (The offense is too stacked for them to miss the playoffs, even with their problems on D (after Slavin-Pesce) and in net)
4) New York Rangers (WC #2) (I am completely torn on whether the Rangers or Flyers get this WC spot, I'm tentatively leaning towards the former as I see Kakko, Lafreniere and Shesterkin all taking big steps forward this year)
5) Philadelphia Flyers (They could easily make the playoffs if the D allows Hart to rebound from his abysmal McElhinney-esque campaign)
6) New Jersey Devils (They're getting there, but not quite there yet)
7) Pittsburgh Penguins (Time's run out on this group. Malkin can't stay healthy, Crosby's age is catching up to him as well, and Jarry is not a long-term solution in net)
8) Columbus Blue Jackets

Atlantic:
1) Tampa Bay Lightning
2) Boston Bruins
3) Florida Panthers
4) Toronto Maple Leafs (WC #1)
5) Montreal Canadiens (JUST miss)
6) Detroit Red Wings (Ahead of Ottawa due to Ned in goal)
7) Ottawa Senators
8) Buffalo Sabres (Duh)

Central:
1) Colorado Avalanche (Don't worry about the bottom 6, the top 6 will more than make up for it, the D is stellar, and Kuemper will be a Vezina contender)
2) Winnipeg Jets (HUGE and much-needed improvements on D in the off-season make them one of the most well-rounded teams in the conference, but not better than the Avs)
3) St. Louis Blues (Robbed the Rangers blind with the Buchnevich trade and got a steal in Saad, the D has some questions but I like 'em)
4) Chicago Blackhawks (WC #1) (Fleury will be HUGE for this team. If Toews can stay healthy and Kane and Debrincat continue to produce, they'll easily make the playoffs)
5) Minnesota Wild (WC #2) (Just ahead of Dallas due to better D and goaltending)
6) Dallas Stars
7) Nashville Predators
8) Arizona (Sorry, Houston) Coyotes

Pacific:
1) Vegas Golden Knights (After this, the weakest division in the league)
2) Calgary Flames (The offense is absolutely stacked, and Markstrom will have a terrific season (you heard it here first))
3) Edmonton Oilers (The D is absolute hot garbage, but McDavid and Draisaitl aren't missing the playoffs)
4) Vancouver Canucks (Miss playoffs, Benning finally gets fired)
5) Seattle Kraken (Good D and goaltending, but lack of offense)
6) Los Angeles Kings
7) San Jose Sharks
8) Anaheim Ducks

What? Crosby's age is catching up to him?? He was literally the only thing that kept the Pens from drowning in the 2021 season and he shows no signs of decline, this is as inaccurate at it can get
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 16
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
twy62fchlim71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=1fa91c268ecdbab060194d62b3effa80bf79597c

Add Blake Comeau's everything, and Cogliano's toughness.

I was thinking Nathan Gerbe's height, not Tyler Johnson, since Gerbe's like 5'4".
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 17
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I actually understand why there's no team in QBC City, i'm not sure it would work, also where's the other Ontarian team go? Toronto again? I mean i guess all Leafs fan would just switch to the other team since they wouldn't have a long cup drought

golden horseshoe or tri cities. so west of the city, Mississauga/Burlington/Hamilton. Tons of demand. Youd draw people in from Niagara, Kitchener, cambridge etc. southern Ontario has a ton of hockey fans
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 22
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
golden horseshoe or tri cities. so west of the city, Mississauga/Burlington/Hamilton. Tons of demand. Youd draw people in from Niagara, Kitchener, cambridge etc. southern Ontario has a ton of hockey fans

>putting a team in the Golden Horseshoe

that would be the perfect excuse to name this new team the Broncos/Thoroughbreds
MitchMarner_16 a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 9 h 53
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,084
What do you guys think about Bo Horvat, cause throughout the past month/years I've heard many conflicting reports about him.

Some people see him as this borderline elite player, with great two way play and others see him as massively overrated and not very good at defense.

What's your take on him?

Underrated offensively , extremely overrated defensively. He has great work ethic which is probably why causal fans assume he’s good defensively. Overall he’s just a solid 2C
15 sept. 2021 à 10 h 28
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Modifié 15 sept. 2021 à 10 h 50
What? Crosby's age is catching up to him?? He was literally the only thing that kept the Pens from drowning in the 2021 season and he shows no signs of decline, this is as inaccurate at it can get

Not in terms of playing ability, in terms of health, he's been dogged by small but consistent injuries in recent years, and now had wrist surgery that will keep him out for the start of the season. He's still a superstar player, don't get me wrong, but if he can't stay on the ice consistently, the Pens are in serious trouble, especially since Malkin is much less of a guarantee to play with every passing year.
I actually just saw an article that said (while it never will happen) that the Pens should consider trading Sid if this year goes poorly: https://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-reasons-to-consider-trading-crosby/
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 10 h 46
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
I dont think boston finishes second. I dont doubt they make the playoffs, but second only to tampa?

Goalie depth is very questionable, LD is a problem, defense raises an eyebrow behind McAvoy/Grzelyck, Center depth is also very meh, the only thing they really have is an amazing LW, plus their core is aging, Marchand and Bergeron can only be amazing for so long.

I'm being completely honest and unbiased, I dont see them finishing second, I see them depending on how well the first line can play, competing for third or the wild card. Theres a lot more young, hungry teams waiting and willing to take their spot.

I see the top three being
1. Tampa
2. Florida/Toronto (Depends on how well the leafs adapt without hyman and the play in net, as well as if florida is as good as they look on paper. Im giving florida the advantage here)
3. Toronto/Florida

WC. Boston/Montreal

1) The goalie depth is not a concern to me. Swayman looked terrific last year, and he and Ullmark should make for a solid tandem (that's assuming Swayman doesn't win the job outright).
2) LD is a problem? Grzelcyk, Mike Reilly and Derek Forbort? Where's the weakness? Grzelcyk has proven he can handle the workload, Reilly is more than capable, and Forbort slots fine for a 3rd pairing. As for RD, the only concern is Connor Clifton, and he sees the least ice time out of them all. No major problems on D whatsoever.
3) The only question at C is can Coyle slide into Krejci's spot well enough for that line to keep producing. Other than that, Bergeron shows no slides of slowing down, and Haula and Nosek are fine depth options.
They may not be the youngest team in the group, but they're still extremely dangerous, and the favorite for 2nd in my mind.
MitchMarner_16 et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 11 h 19
1) The goalie depth is not a concern to me. Swayman looked terrific last year, and he and Ullmark should make for a solid tandem (that's assuming Swayman doesn't win the job outright).
2) LD is a problem? Grzelcyk, Mike Reilly and Derek Forbort? Where's the weakness? Grzelcyk has proven he can handle the workload, Reilly is more than capable, and Forbort slots fine for a 3rd pairing. As for RD, the only concern is Connor Clifton, and he sees the least ice time out of them all. No major problems on D whatsoever.
3) The only question at C is can Coyle slide into Krejci's spot well enough for that line to keep producing. Other than that, Bergeron shows no slides of slowing down, and Haula and Nosek are fine depth options.
They may not be the youngest team in the group, but they're still extremely dangerous, and the favorite for 2nd in my mind.

Swayman is still unproven, but if he can perform as he did last year, they should be alright there, but hes still unknown.
I dont see mike rielly as a 2LD. hes a high end third pair guy, perhaps he'll have chemistry with carlo?
And yeah, the 2C situation would scare me.

I dont doubt that they're dangerous, theres just a lot of unknowns for this team
15 sept. 2021 à 12 h 25
Swayman is still unproven, but if he can perform as he did last year, they should be alright there, but hes still unknown.
I dont see mike rielly as a 2LD. hes a high end third pair guy, perhaps he'll have chemistry with carlo?
And yeah, the 2C situation would scare me.

I dont doubt that they're dangerous, theres just a lot of unknowns for this team

I agree, i have Boston 4th in the Atlantic, Tampa, Florida and Toronto are all better imo
MitchMarner_16 a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 12 h 27
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516

I completely agree, but I really hope that we’re both wrong. (Not because I dislike the Bruins, they’re just competition for a playoff spot)
15 sept. 2021 à 12 h 29
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,084

A_Habs_fan, Kotkaniemi15 et Devil a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 12 h 30
Quoting: Db1899

CF did that during FA when teams we're announcing signing but not full details
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 15 h 24
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 553

EsoYeezus69, capsfan2121, AndrewLadd and 2 others a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 15 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
My bold predictions for the upcoming season:
-Aaron Ekblad wins the Norris. He still doesn't get enough recognition for how good he is
-Thomas Chabot completely breaks out and is nominated for the Norris. This one might be the boldest in this list but hey, that's what bold predictions are for
-Roope Hintz gets 40 assists and is slightly over a PPG pace
-the Caps finally start to fall off and miss the playoffs. Although, if the recent trend continues, they'll make it and get humiliated in the first round
-Nils Lundkvist plays amazingly and gets 40 pts
-Matthew Barzal enters his prime with a 90pts season
15 sept. 2021 à 16 h 4
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
-Aaron Ekblad wins the Norris. He still doesn't get enough recognition for how good he is
-Thomas Chabot completely breaks out and is nominated for the Norris. This one might be the boldest in this list but hey, that's what bold predictions are for
-the Caps finally start to fall off and miss the playoffs. Although, if the recent trend continues, they'll make it and get humiliated in the first round

I think the Chabot one is reasonable, but only if Ottawa brings in another top forward (Eichel or Hertl for example) and then gets big breakouts from Tkachuk/Stutzle, and at least a slight jump in production from Norris/Batherson (reasonable to expect that from the forwards at this point, especially with an additional established talented player in the top 6). His success will likely be predicated on Tkachuk/Stutzle reaching 30+ goals. And an improvement on the PP. I think he'll get to Norris level eventually but with the roster as it stands that might be a bit of a stretch. A good D partner would also help lol I hope they at least give him Zub instead of Zaitsev. Might help improve his mediocre defensive skills.

I think that that's a huge stretch for Lundkvist. He's not going to be the best D on the Rangers immediately like Hughes/Makar were, and he's not even going to get 20 minutes a night and top PP time like Ty Smith. He'll probably get PP2 time, but probably only like 15-17 minutes at even strength (Fox and Trouba combined averaged 46 minutes per night last year, Lundkvist might steal a couple extra but those guys are workhorses, one just won the Norris and the other is getting paid like he should be playing well over 20 minutes a night). 25 points would probably be considered a success.

I like how you're implying Hintz will get 40 goals as well lol, that's more impressive than 40 assists. Definitely reasonable for him to be a point per game. I like the Barzal take too, hope that happens, he's such a fun player to watch individually that he might make me turn on an Isles game lol. I think the Caps will remain a solid playoff team for at least a couple years, Ovie needs to average 33 goals per season for the next 5 and I imagine him and the team will be doing their best to get him in that 45 range for at least the first two to ease that chase, which will lead to them remaining relatively competitive.
15 sept. 2021 à 16 h 24
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
No one asked but I haven’t been as active because college is f*cking hard and all I do is schoolwork and I’m not even studying to be a lawyer
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf et Devil a aimé ceci.
15 sept. 2021 à 16 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: AndrewLadd
No one asked but I haven’t been as active because college is f*cking hard and all I do is schoolwork and I’m not even studying to be a lawyer

What career are you pursuing?
15 sept. 2021 à 17 h 0

Ekblad has imo always been a 1st pairing talent D and I think he gets the recognition he deserves but Norris is a stretch, he'd need to perform at an elite level and beat out the like of Hedman, Makar, Fox.
Chabot technically has already broken out imo, he just hasn't been surrounded with good players yet, he could get votes
Hintz if he can stay healthy should reach that
I have the Caps at 6 in the Metro so you're not the only one
Doubt it, the Rangers top 4 should be Lindgren-Fox, Miller-Trouba, Lundkvist probably won't be able to reach 40 points
Definitely can happen, he got close to it in 17-18, he has the talent for it

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage