Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

10 sept. 2021 à 12 h 54
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,351
Quoting: ConservativeLightningFan91
Yep, Parise's an Islander.
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1433171215334748162

Lamoriello made out like a bandit this summer. Lost Eberle and Leddy, but in doing so freed up the cap space to keep Palmieri, Beauvillier, Sorokin and Cizikas while also getting Panik and Parise. The guy's one of the best GM's in the league. (Behind JBB, of course)

I wouldn't say he's one of the best GM's, trying to win with all grinders is a hefty task
10 sept. 2021 à 12 h 58
Quoting: yikes
Just felt like throwing my 2 cents in:

Analytics are a VERY USEFUL TOOL.
But they are flawed.

The “eye test” is a VERY USEFUL TOOL.
But it is flawed.

You can’t use solely analytics to judge prospects for example. It’s a idiotic thing to use on its own for prospects.

You can’t use just the eye test for NHL players for example.
It’s a idiotic thing to use on its own for players.

You must use both imo. But you also have to judge the situation or player which is where the eye test “evolves” imo.

Take it like this. I’m going to use a very controversial take here too. Erik Karlsson is a very hard player to justify using solely analytics.

Karlsson even during some of his best years had very poor analytics with the Sens (Not all of his years, but at least from the charts I recall seeing the other month). A lot of Sharks fans see a ok game and then go look at Karlsson stats (adv.) and go look he’s dog****. But I continually try to point out this flaw. Early in the 2020/21 season Karlsson had a PHENOMENAL game. He looked amazing and everything was clicking and I believe he got a couple points. His advanced stats for that same game WERE BRUTAL. Yeah he got some a couple points and just looked sooooo gooooood…. But his analytics didn’t change and if anything they regressed.

Now he’s the other side of that same coin. Vlasic doesn’t have god awful adv. stats. They aren’t great, they’re pretty poor, but none the less. Yet Vlasic is just terrible to watch. He’s slow, poor decision making, loses his man or position a ton. I can go on. Yet his analytics value him around the same as Karlsson.

Now I’m not saying Karlsson is amazing because he doesn’t always look good and his analytics suggest the same or that Vlasic is worth his estimated “2-3 million dollar value according to analytics” because often I’d rather see Vlasic be benched.

I’m using them as an example. Not all players play a style that looks good on paper (adv stats). And not all players stand out on the eye test. For example Slavin from the discussion is an amazing example. He’s got great stats, but even if they aren’t the best in the entire league, Slavin flourishes on the eye test and then also has good analytics to suggest that he’s not a fluke. Whereas Karlsson often looks great on the eye test for a majority of a game but he makes mistakes and his style of play firstly doesn’t mesh with a bad team, and his adv stats aren’t great because he’s usually trying to do too much. But that doesn’t mean he’s the worst guy in the league.

I think you should use the eye test and pair it with adv stats. And for some players that situation should change. Use context, and I think there are some fantastic analytics that should be considered always. Quality of Competition is a great one when you pair with Quality of Time on Ice. Use them with your 5v5 impact and mesh those with the eye test.

I don’t think analytics are bad, and I don’t think they’re amazing. But you shouldn’t throw one or the other out.

This is very much true, you have to mix eye test and analytics
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 3
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: aadoyle
Could we possibly interest you in a former Lou draft pick in Travis Dermott wink

Honestly in the Isles System I think Dermott would thrive as his defensive mindset seems perfect for them.

I’d gladly take him honestly
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 10
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,491
Quoting: SevenLeg
Team Canada 23U

Keller-Suzuki-Kyrou
Comtois-Dubois-Batherson
Lafrenière-Dach-Thomas
Rasmussen-Byfield-Jost

Girard-Makar
Chychrun-Dobson
Smith-Fabbro

Hart
DiPietro

Extras: Bryam, Cozens, Drysdale, Hofer, Perfetti

Edit : Nvm I'm dumb Keller is American

Team USA is so much better --

B. Tkachuk - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
DeBrincat - Hughes - Caufield
Robertson - Zegras - Keller
Farabee - Norris- Yamamoto

Hughes - McAvoy
Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Foote

Oettinger
Knight
Swayman

Extras: Anderson, Mittelstadt, Pinto, Wahlstrom
Devil a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 22
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Right, but he never was a Norris caliber defensive d-man. Hell, something like 4-5 years ago, he is the one who ran the Isles'PP.
Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield are great/elite at defense so Leddy not being the best at that isn't a big deal

And no, I hate analytics without context, people like JFresh or Dom I don't even know how to write his last name want to sound like geniuses and experts yet in fact they're two of the most uninformative and even uneducated people about the game.

Analytics without context provided by the eye test are worth as much as a fork when eating a soup. You cannot possibly convince me otherwise

Quoting: Db1899
It’s funny how you guys want to trash analytics because they lack context and then try to use points which is 10x worse.
-ignore every event that led to a goal

He 100% was below average offensively last season. By far the worst defenseman on the isles and it wasn’t close.

I'm in between. I don't think JFresh is "uninformative and one of the most uneducated", I like his stats, but I also don't agree that you can use every stat he brings as an example or proof of a player's attributes/quality. Nick Leddy is not a below average offensive defenseman. He was top 25 in both power play points and in points overall. That's not below average. You want to tell me he's not worth a 2nd rounder-I agree, his defense is a liability and his offense does not make up for it.
Basically, @yikes said it best:
Quoting: yikes
Just felt like throwing my 2 cents in:

Analytics are a VERY USEFUL TOOL.
But they are flawed.

The “eye test” is a VERY USEFUL TOOL.
But it is flawed.

You can’t use solely analytics to judge prospects for example. It’s a idiotic thing to use on its own for prospects.

You can’t use just the eye test for NHL players for example.
It’s a idiotic thing to use on its own for players.

You must use both imo. But you also have to judge the situation or player which is where the eye test “evolves” imo.

Take it like this. I’m going to use a very controversial take here too. Erik Karlsson is a very hard player to justify using solely analytics.

Karlsson even during some of his best years had very poor analytics with the Sens (Not all of his years, but at least from the charts I recall seeing the other month). A lot of Sharks fans see a ok game and then go look at Karlsson stats (adv.) and go look he’s dog****. But I continually try to point out this flaw. Early in the 2020/21 season Karlsson had a PHENOMENAL game. He looked amazing and everything was clicking and I believe he got a couple points. His advanced stats for that same game WERE BRUTAL. Yeah he got some a couple points and just looked sooooo gooooood…. But his analytics didn’t change and if anything they regressed.

Now he’s the other side of that same coin. Vlasic doesn’t have god awful adv. stats. They aren’t great, they’re pretty poor, but none the less. Yet Vlasic is just terrible to watch. He’s slow, poor decision making, loses his man or position a ton. I can go on. Yet his analytics value him around the same as Karlsson.

Now I’m not saying Karlsson is amazing because he doesn’t always look good and his analytics suggest the same or that Vlasic is worth his estimated “2-3 million dollar value according to analytics” because often I’d rather see Vlasic be benched.

I’m using them as an example. Not all players play a style that looks good on paper (adv stats). And not all players stand out on the eye test. For example Slavin from the discussion is an amazing example. He’s got great stats, but even if they aren’t the best in the entire league, Slavin flourishes on the eye test and then also has good analytics to suggest that he’s not a fluke. Whereas Karlsson often looks great on the eye test for a majority of a game but he makes mistakes and his style of play firstly doesn’t mesh with a bad team, and his adv stats aren’t great because he’s usually trying to do too much. But that doesn’t mean he’s the worst guy in the league.

I think you should use the eye test and pair it with adv stats. And for some players that situation should change. Use context, and I think there are some fantastic analytics that should be considered always. Quality of Competition is a great one when you pair with Quality of Time on Ice. Use them with your 5v5 impact and mesh those with the eye test.

I don’t think analytics are bad, and I don’t think they’re amazing. But you shouldn’t throw one or the other out.

^Precisely. You can't just use stats, and you can't just use the naked eye test. You need both.
A_Habs_fan et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 25
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I wouldn't say he's one of the best GM's, trying to win with all grinders is a hefty task

I think he balances them well with guys like Barzal, Bailey, Beauvillier etc. He seems to craft a team of grit into all-around contenders year after year (but for sure Trotz deserves a lot of credit for that as well, he's the one who meshes them together and gets the grit going)
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 36
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,491
I just hate when people stop using their brains because of analytics. There's a guy on here (probably one of the most annoying accounts) who thinks Roy > Doughty, Kase and Leivo being legit top 6 guys and Ristolainen not being NHL caliber.
10 sept. 2021 à 13 h 52
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,094

What is your definition of a grinder
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 1
Farewell
I just hate when people stop using their brains because of analytics. There's a guy on here (probably one of the most annoying accounts) who thinks Roy > Doughty, Kase and Leivo being legit top 6 guys and Ristolainen not being NHL caliber.

I beg your pardon? Roy>Doughty? As in Nick Roy? What the heck?
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 6
I'm in between. I don't think JFresh is "uninformative and one of the most uneducated", I like his stats, but I also don't agree that you can use every stat he brings as an example or proof of a player's attributes/quality. Nick Leddy is not a below average offensive defenseman. He was top 25 in both power play points and in points overall. That's not below average. You want to tell me he's not worth a 2nd rounder-I agree, his defense is a liability and his offense does not make up for it.
Basically, @yikes said it best:

^Precisely. You can't just use stats, and you can't just use the naked eye test. You need both.

No one should look at only Jfresh player cards and come to a conclusion on a player. There are a few really informative analytics platforms. You’re using strictly points to argue Leddy is at least average when points have less context than analytics. It makes no sense. When Leddy is on the ice , the isles score goals at a below average rate - so how is good offensively?

This is a perfect example why using points to argue a player is good offensively is flawed. If Pageau wasn’t in good position, that leads to a high danger scoring chance for the Devils. Leddy got a secondary assist on the play, but he did nothing to contribute to the goal.
https://mobile.twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1366934651630088192
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 15
Farewell
Quoting: Db1899
No one should look at only Jfresh player cards and come to a conclusion on a player. There are a few really informative analytics platforms. You’re using strictly points to argue Leddy is at least average when points have less context than analytics. It makes no sense. When Leddy is on the ice , the isles score goals at a below average rate - so how is good offensively?

This is a perfect example why using points to argue a player is good offensively is flawed. If Pageau wasn’t in good position, that leads to a high danger scoring chance for the Devils. Leddy got a secondary assist on the play, but he did nothing to contribute to the goal.
https://mobile.twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1366934651630088192

I hear that. It's a good example.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 17
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
yall arguing about stuff the blue square man says?
A_Habs_fan, yikes, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 27
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Team Canada 23U

Keller-Suzuki-Kyrou
Comtois-Dubois-Batherson
Lafrenière-Dach-Thomas
Rasmussen-Byfield-Jost

Girard-Makar
Chychrun-Dobson
Smith-Fabbro

Hart
DiPietro

Extras: Bryam, Cozens, Drysdale, Hofer, Perfetti

Edit : Nvm I'm dumb Keller is American

You could definitely make the argument to include Wright here.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 47
Farewell
US Men's 2022 Olympic Ice Hockey Roster
NOTE: This is what I believe the roster SHOULD be, not what it WILL be.
Forwards:
Line 1: Jake Guentzel-Auston Matthews-Patrick Kane
Line 2: Johnny Gaudreau-Jack Eichel-Alex Debrincat
Line 3: Matthew Tkachuk-J.T. Miller-Brock Boeser
Line 4: Kyle Connor-Dylan Larkin-Max Pacioretty
Reserve Options (Ranked): Brady Tkachuk, TJ Oshie, Joe Pavelski, Jack Hughes, Brock Nelson, Blake Coleman, James Van Riemsdyk, Charlie Coyle

Defense:
Pairing #1: Jaccob Slavin-Charlie McAvoy
Pairing #2: Zach Werenski-Adam Fox
Pairing #3: Torey Krug-John Carlson
Reserve Options (Ranked): Ryan McDonagh, John Marino, Quinn Hughes, Jeff Petry, Seth Jones

Goalies:
Starter: Connor Helleybuck
Backup: John Gibson
Reserve Option: Thatcher Demko

They're better than Team Canada in net, IMO, and are close on defense. The advantage in offense clearly goes to Canada. Should be entertaining.
10 sept. 2021 à 14 h 56
Farewell
Also worth noting that while we're all arguing about Leddy's offensive value, the goal he's most famous for isn't one he scored...
10 sept. 2021 à 15 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,918
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I’d gladly take him honestly

My idea honestly is a 3-way trade between the NYI, Toronto, and Arizona

mentioned it in another post but the base line of it is

Bellows goes to Arizona
Timmins goes to Toronto
Dermott goes to NYI

Gives everyone something they want and is a trade nobody technically loses
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 15 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Someone explain the Erik Gudbranson signing to me as it makes 0 sense for Calgary

Especially when they signed Stone right after.

Hanafin-Tanev (good)
Valimaki-Andersson (untested)
Zadorov-Gudbranson (shakes head )
EsoYeezus69 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 15 h 18
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,730
I beg your pardon? Roy>Doughty? As in Nick Roy? What the heck?

I’m pretty sure he means Matt Roy as in LA’s other defensemen.
10 sept. 2021 à 15 h 23
Quoting: aadoyle
Someone explain the Erik Gudbranson signing to me as it makes 0 sense for Calgary

Especially when they signed Stone right after.

Hanafin-Tanev (good)
Valimaki-Andersson (untested)
Zadorov-Gudbranson (shakes head )

Depth, idk? They could just give a pylon boxing gloves and it’d be cheaper
EsoYeezus69, aadoyle et DNIK914 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 15 h 26
Depth, idk? They could just give a pylon boxing gloves and it’d be cheaper

Or pay it to @EsoYeezus69 to prepare his Comeau fight
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 16 h 11
Canes fan
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,578
What? Hedman and Makar yes, Fox, Pietro, Josi, McAvoy maybe, Carlson, Theodore, Hamilton, Weegar, Ellis, Spurgeon NO CHANCE. Slavin is an elite lockdown defender who takes almost no penalty minutes (1 penalty in 52 games last year) and is a terrific offensive asset, even without posting many points (similar to Adam Pelech/Ryan Pulock, as you mentioned last night). He's for sure Top 10, maybe even Top 5.
Dzinger18 Help me out here

Slavin is top 5 in the league for me. I don't think I've ever seen him not shut down a 2 on 1. He's an elite defensive defenseman with great hockey IQ. He can also contribute well offensively, moving the puck around and every now and then getting a goal. He's also a great leader and gentleman. There are just so many great qualities that make him stand out from the bunch you listed.
10 sept. 2021 à 16 h 36
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,730
Bro I just saw some one say that Chytil projects to be very similar to Barkov…

My brain cells are non existent at this point, please end my suffering.
A_Habs_fan, Devil, Zinger and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 16 h 50
So I guess Zajac is not signing with the isles.

EsoYeezus69 et Devil a aimé ceci.
10 sept. 2021 à 16 h 55
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 554
Quoting: Dzinger18
Slavin is top 5 in the league for me. I don't think I've ever seen him not shut down a 2 on 1. He's an elite defensive defenseman with great hockey IQ. He can also contribute well offensively, moving the puck around and every now and then getting a goal. He's also a great leader and gentleman. There are just so many great qualities that make him stand out from the bunch you listed.

CANES FANS I BRING NEWS

If you look up Expected Goals Against for goaltenders (money puck), not %, just attempts which I guess you can almost interpret as medium-high danger chances I guess on goal, Ned and Riemer were near the bottom when it comes to starters. Add that to the fact that Ned had a 1.9 GAA and 9.32 Sv% and the team was top 3 GA. Can we then assume that the Hurricanes were the best team in front of the net defensively in the league. Ned as great as he was, was sheltered behind an unbelievable defense and maybe Waddell saw Ned and Mrazek not do great against Tampa, so he brought in Andersen who pretty much had a full year to recover and at one point I think was 4th in Norris voting behind a bad Toronto defense. Raanta, who also sat out a lot of the year and has great numbers when he's healthy. Add that to the KK robbery and ADA with a chip on his shoulder who he paid pennies for. This mans a genius

I was playing with Moneypuck and I just noticed that
10 sept. 2021 à 17 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 10 sept. 2021 à 17 h 10
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Bro I just saw some one say that Chytil projects to be very similar to Barkov…

My brain cells are non existent at this point, please end my suffering.

Agreed unless Chytil goes through one of the biggest development growths seen in like forever yeah that aint happening lul
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage