Forums/Armchair-GM

Must Rebuild

Créé par: matt59
Équipe: 2021-22 Blue Jackets de Columbus
Date de création initiale: 31 mai 2021
Publié: 31 mai 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Not even gonna outline specific values but just going to throw some ideas around regarding the state of the team.

Gonna start with the coach. I think Don Granato would be a great hire on a 3 year contract if he is not kept as H.C. of the sabres. He seems to have done a fantastic job with developing and working with young players. If Columbus is ever going to become a relevant franchise, we absolutely need to be able to retain young talent, and that starts with being able to connect to your young players and building a positive winning culture. Among the coaching candidates out there, I think he would be one of the best options for where this team is going the next 3 years. David Quinn would probably be my second favorite choice based on this. I think Rick Tocchet and Gerard Gallant are both very good coaches but are not the right fit for what will be a rebuilding franchise. I will not be thrilled if Brad Larsen is hired as the next head coach but maybe it'd help the tank I guess?

Now for the players.

Seth Jones almost certainly will be traded. I think the format of the deal will see something along the lines of a decreased version of the Erik Karlsson trade. EK65 was dealt for 2 solid NHLers, 2 good prospects, 2 draft picks and 2 conditional draft picks. I could see Jones fetching 1 NHLer, and then either 2 good prospects and 1 first rounder, or a higher end prospect, one first, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder. In any case I think the first would have some protection (top 3 or top 10). I would love to see us possibly take on a bad contract and weaponize the ample cap space we will have to gain additional assets as well. MTL, CHI, LAK have been named as potential destinations and I think EDM and PHI would be a good fit as well, and I'm sure some other teams will get into the mix too.

One of the goalies will be dealt as well. If Elvis wants to stay and be part of the solution, then It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him around. If not, he likely will be traded. He's a good goalie, and he really cares about winning. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to extend here after seeing the way the team has unraveled in front of him. Korpisalo had a down year but he's still a good to decent goalie who is definitely capable of being a starter or at a minimum part of a goalie platoon. EDM, SJS, CHI, PIT and PHI would be some possible suitors but I could definitely see the organization not wanting to deal him within the East, let alone the metro division. Value wise, I feel like Jarmo will get more than people expect out of whichever goalie is dealt, just a hunch.

I think Laine will get a 2 year deal, bringing him to last RFA year. Depending on how things go I wouldn't be shocked if he was dealt at some point during next season, but I doubt he'll get dealt after his disastrous last season.

Werenski, if he is willing to sign long term, should be signed. If he doesn't want to sign is a conversation for another day with his RFA status.

I think it's extremely important than management is transparent with the players that the plan is likely two years of pain in 2022-2023, but after that I don't think it is unreasonable to be a legitimate team if Columbus is able to get top 3 picks at least one of those two years. Shane Wright and Connor Bedard in particular are two talents you can truly build a team around and guys like Matvei Michkov and Matthew Savoie will be good players as well. If Nick Foligno wants to come back despite the teams direction, he should absolutely be brought back with open arms to be a mentor to the young players on the team. If he doesn't want to return though I wouldn't blame him. NHL players only get so many chances to pick where they play and give themselves a chance to win a stanley cup.

Expansion will be dependent on trades made and who goes in and out. No real concerns there.

In summary, it's imperative to get this rebuild done right. The Brendan Shanahan "there will be pain" approach is what this franchise needs, without becoming Buffalo. It's a delicate balance, but it can be done. Sell the guys who don't want to be here, bring in a coach that develops well and connects with young players, and bring in veterans who can be good mentors when you can.

Would be interested to hear the input of others on what they'd give up for guys like Jones, the goalies, etc and what they think of this rebuild plan too.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
2750 000 $
2900 000 $
32 000 000 $
2950 000 $
1750 000 $
27 000 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
23 500 000 $
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Jones Trade, NHL Player
13 000 000 $
Transactions
CBJ
    Decent NHL Player (maybe a cap dump would add assets)
    Good prospect 1
    Good prospect 2
    Protected first Round Pick
    Conditional pick on advancing to SCF/ winning cup (probably like a 2nd)
    CBJ
      Doesn't have to be EDM, could be anyone. Could be merzlikins instead of korpi.
      CBJ
      MIN
        Could definitely see Domi traded as well, but the speculation has yet to run rampant on that yet. Might be more of a TDL deal.
        Rachats de contrats
        Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de TBL
        Logo de TOR
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de NJD
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de TBL
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de TOR
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de ANA
        Logo de TOR
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        Logo de CBJ
        TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
        2281 500 000 $58 113 362 $0 $850 000 $23 386 638 $
        Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
        Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus
        7 000 000 $7 000 000 $
        C, AD, AG
        UFA - 1
        1 325 000 $1 325 000 $
        C, AD
        UFA - 1
        5 400 000 $5 400 000 $
        AD, AG
        UFA - 5
        2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
        AG, AD
        UFA - 2
        1 838 362 $1 838 362 $
        C, AD
        UFA - 1
        925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
        AD, AG
        RFA - 1
        2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
        AG, C, AD
        RFA - 3
        3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
        AG, C, AD
        UFA - 2
        5 875 000 $5 875 000 $
        AD, AG
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
        C, AG
        UFA - 1
        900 000 $900 000 $
        C, AD
        UFA - 1
        975 000 $975 000 $
        AG
        UFA - 1
        750 000 $750 000 $
        AD, C
        UFA - 1
        Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
        5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
        DG
        UFA - 1
        Jones Trade, NHL Player
        3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
        4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
        G
        UFA - 1
        2 800 000 $2 800 000 $
        DG
        UFA - 2
        950 000 $950 000 $
        DD
        UFA - 2
        925 000 $925 000 $
        G
        RFA - 1
        1 633 333 $1 633 333 $
        DG
        UFA - 1
        1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
        DG/DD
        UFA - 1
        725 000 $725 000 $
        DG
        UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
        • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
        31 mai 2021 à 19 h 10
        Banni
        Rejoint: mai 2021
        Mentions "j'aime": 44
        Columbus might as well keep him. He's character flaws, two years of down productions, & him being bad along the board with essentially not playing the game right way when he's not playing position he likes is going to significantly decrease any interest in him

He's also not a C. The sooner he recognizes that, the better
        31 mai 2021 à 19 h 19
        Rejoint: mai 2016
        Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
        Domi is a tough one for CBJ. He's not a good center, but he's the best they have. I think they re-sign him because no UFAs wants to sign in CBJ.
        31 mai 2021 à 22 h 24
        Démarrer sujet
        Go Jackets
        Rejoint: janv. 2016
        Mentions "j'aime": 1,712
        Quoting: BoeserSZNMNBoy
        Columbus might as well keep him. He's character flaws, two years of down productions, & him being bad along the board with essentially not playing the game right way when he's not playing position he likes is going to significantly decrease any interest in him

He's also not a C. The sooner he recognizes that, the better

If you’re referring to Domi, i see those points. And just tagged Minny in the trade as a random hypothetical. He definitely has his deficiencies as a centerman. Not too sure what we do with him
        Hockey_Soul a aimé ceci.
        31 mai 2021 à 22 h 25
        Démarrer sujet
        Go Jackets
        Quoting: wabit
        Domi is a tough one for CBJ. He's not a good center, but he's the best they have. I think they re-sign him because no UFAs wants to sign in CBJ.

Sadly yeah. I don’t think he’ll re-up with us personally, so odds are he gets dealt closer to TDL. Best hope is to be able to sign some veteran ufas to plug holes like Ottawa has done to help their rebuild along.
        Hockey_Soul a aimé ceci.
        31 mai 2021 à 22 h 29
        Quoting: matt59
        Sadly yeah. I don’t think he’ll re-up with us personally, so odds are he gets dealt closer to TDL. Best hope is to be able to sign some veteran ufas to plug holes like Ottawa has done to help their rebuild along.

I dunno. If he wants to be a center I think he will. There aren't many teams out there where he would be a center let alone a top-6C.
        Hockey_Soul a aimé ceci.
        31 mai 2021 à 23 h 31
        Banni
        If you’re referring to Domi, i see those points. And just tagged Minny in the trade as a random hypothetical. He definitely has his deficiencies as a centerman. Not too sure what we do with him

Yeah referring to Domi. He really needs to grow up. His throwing his career away over position, & whether or not he plays on top lines
        31 mai 2021 à 23 h 49
        Démarrer sujet
        Go Jackets
        Quoting: wabit
        I dunno. If he wants to be a center I think he will. There aren't many teams out there where he would be a center let alone a top-6C.

Yeah referring to Domi. He really needs to grow up. His throwing his career away over position, & whether or not he plays on top lines

Honestly didn’t follow the jackets as closely rumors wise this year, was Domi wanting to play center and not wing something that’s always been a thing or is this a recent thing that’s come out?
        BoeserSZNMNBoy a aimé ceci.
        1 juin 2021 à 0 h 34
        Honestly didn’t follow the jackets as closely rumors wise this year, was Domi wanting to play center and not wing something that’s always been a thing or is this a recent thing that’s come out?

It was a thing in MTL.
        BoeserSZNMNBoy et matt59 a aimé ceci.
        1 juin 2021 à 0 h 49
        Be formless
        Mentions "j'aime": 1,039
        I’m all for a painful rebuild if that’s the clear goal. Then Laine and Werenski need dealt and probably Merzlikins. Let Korpi play for a bad team for two years until Tarasov is ready, and it’s off to the races. With a top forward this year and next from the draft and a few FAs this team could be totally remade and ready to compete after next season. Jarmo is a wizard when it comes to trades so I have full faith that he’ll figure something out.
        matt59 a aimé ceci.
        1 juin 2021 à 3 h 29
        Banni

Going back to Montreal. When he doesn't get his way, he pouts, & basically shows in his play on the ice

If he doesn't play c, or gets demoted, instead of taking that as a challenge like nico sturm did with Wild when benched, his attitude shows in his refusal to go full out on the ice . He does so by not hitting, not skating to the best of his ability, & lacks of care on the board defensively, & offensively.

It's why going back to Montreal, I personally didn't have a positive view of him
        matt59 a aimé ceci.
        1 juin 2021 à 5 h 59
        Démarrer sujet
        Go Jackets
        Quoting: Hockey_Mind
        I’m all for a painful rebuild if that’s the clear goal. Then Laine and Werenski need dealt and probably Merzlikins. Let Korpi play for a bad team for two years until Tarasov is ready, and it’s off to the races. With a top forward this year and next from the draft and a few FAs this team could be totally remade and ready to compete after next season. Jarmo is a wizard when it comes to trades so I have full faith that he’ll figure something out.

Agreed for most part. I think Werenski should be kept if he wants to stay through short rebuild but I won’t be heartbroken at all if Laine got dealt. Might as well just wait for him to recoup some of his value before doing so though. And as good as Jarmo has been at trades and finding talent, he definitely needs to prove he can keep some of this talent he finds... I get that Panarin, Bob and Duchene were unique scenarios but PLD definitely wanted out so the narrative of stars not wanting to be here has been established and needs to be put to bed
        Hockey_Soul a aimé ceci.
        1 juin 2021 à 5 h 59
        Démarrer sujet
        Go Jackets
        Going back to Montreal. When he doesn't get his way, he pouts, & basically shows in his play on the ice

If he doesn't play c, or gets demoted, instead of taking that as a challenge like nico sturm did with Wild when benched, his attitude shows in his refusal to go full out on the ice . He does so by not hitting, not skating to the best of his ability, & lacks of care on the board defensively, & offensively.

It's why going back to Montreal, I personally didn't have a positive view of him

Gotcha, yeah pouting isn’t a good look for sure

Répondre
        To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
        Question:
        Options:
        Ajouter une option
        Soumettre le sondage