SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Question about new lottery rules

19 mai 2021 à 20 h 56
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,223
It was stated under the new rules of the NHL draft lottery that starting in 2022:

1) Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws

2) Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. (Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total)

Based on that wording, I think I know the answer to my own question, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation and I also don't think the supposed answer makes sense. My question is as follows:

Is the 'twice in five years' rule only referring to the winning of the numbers 1 & 2 picks or any lottery win regardless of where that results in the team picking? That is to say, if a team finishes with the 16th best lottery odds two years in a row, and both times wins a lottery (which would only move them up 10 spots to the 6th overall pick), are they then ineligible to pick 1st or 2nd for the next 3 years even if they completely bottom out?
19 mai 2021 à 21 h 27
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,335
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
It was stated under the new rules of the NHL draft lottery that starting in 2022:

1) Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws

2) Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. (Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total)

Based on that wording, I think I know the answer to my own question, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation and I also don't think the supposed answer makes sense. My question is as follows:

Is the 'twice in five years' rule only referring to the winning of the numbers 1 & 2 picks or any lottery win regardless of where that results in the team picking? That is to say, if a team finishes with the 16th best lottery odds two years in a row, and both times wins a lottery (which would only move them up 10 spots to the 6th overall pick), are they then ineligible to pick 1st or 2nd for the next 3 years even if they completely bottom out?

Well the odds of that are microscopic so I wouldn’t worry about that too much
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
19 mai 2021 à 21 h 51
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

I thought that the lotteries were only for the top 2 picks
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
19 mai 2021 à 21 h 53
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well the odds of that are microscopic so I wouldn’t worry about that too much

I still just wanna know lol
19 mai 2021 à 21 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Devil1122
I thought that the lotteries were only for the top 2 picks

There are two lotteries, for picks number 1 & 2, however teams can't move up more than 10 spots. So if a bottom 11/12 team wins a lottery, they get pick 1 or 2, but if a team above that wins, they just move up 10 spots.
19 mai 2021 à 22 h 9
Speak of the Devil
There are two lotteries, for picks number 1 & 2, however teams can't move up more than 10 spots. So if a bottom 11/12 team wins a lottery, they get pick 1 or 2, but if a team above that wins, they just move up 10 spots.

Dang I didn't know that. Thanks

I have a feeling the rangers are going to "magically" move up to 6
19 mai 2021 à 22 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Dang I didn't know that. Thanks

I have a feeling the rangers are going to "magically" move up to 6

Just for clarification, that only comes into effect in 2022
19 mai 2021 à 22 h 21
Speak of the Devil
Just for clarification, that only comes into effect in 2022

Oh okay. Do any of the new rules come into effect this year?
19 mai 2021 à 22 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Oh okay. Do any of the new rules come into effect this year?

Just the reduction of the lotteries from the top 3 picks to only the top 2
Devil a aimé ceci.
19 mai 2021 à 23 h 2
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,878

the 2nd rule should have been implemented back in 2010. Would have stopped Edmonton from getting it 4 times (INCLUDING 3 TIMES IN A ****ING ROW)
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2021 à 7 h 11
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641

This is the first time that part of the new lotto rules has made sense to me.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage