SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New York Rangers

What to do with the Rangers' impressive (and overwhelming) wing depth?

19 avr. 2021 à 10 h 30
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 724
So, prior to this season, and on the heels of Kreider's massive contract, my thoughts on the best option would be to package Strome and Buch together to upgrade the 2C to solidify the top 6, and allow young guns Kakko and Kravstov to compete for the other top winger slots. Even then, losing Buch didn't sound like the worst thing. Then, the lotto happened, and now it's even more convoluted. To make matters worse, both Strome and Buch have slammed the gavel down this year that neither should be traded, and should be considered long term options ASAP.

Strome has proven last year wasn't a one off, producing strongly again with his buddy Panarin, yet still putting up numbers in the 10 games when he was out. Arguably, Strome has been more consistent than Zib, barring the first 10 or so games of the season (when everyone sucked). I realize Panarin is the way better part of this duo, but if I'm Gorton, unless you're getting Eichel in a massively winnable deal, I wouldn't touch this chemistry with a ten foot pole. If only Strome could win a face off...

And then there's Buch, who's been the second most consistent forward on the Rangers (second only to Panarin). Besides scoring nearly a point per game - and let's be honest, if he was on the first power play unit and/or the team wasn't frozen solid in the first dozen, he'd be well over - he's blossoming into a strong two-way game, being #1 on the penalty killing unit, and being damn good at it. But, it's the last year of his bridge contract, and he's set to be an RFA in the offseason. Honestly, he can rightfully so demand a contract similar to Kreider. I think it would be a mistake to do anything less.

Then, you have Kreider's massive 7mil contract, and Panarin is Panarin. So that's 3 pieces of your top 4 wings. Sounds good, right?

... Lafreniere, Kakko, and Kravstov have entered the chat ...

I have to assume that everyone involved wants or believes all 6 of these wingers are top 6 wingers. And in the case of the young guys, if they aren't now, they will be well before the "older" guys' contracts are up (assuming Buch gets a 6 or 7 year deal). Sure, you still need 4 lines, but there are only so many minutes in a game, and the Zib and Strome centered lines are always going to eat up the majority. For their development, it would be best to get them with these two, but how can you put 7million dollar wingers on the third line long term?

Then, comes the issue of, what do you even need to upgrade? Goaltending is solid. The top 4 defensemen are pretty set in stone for the next 5+ years. And there are more blue chip defense prospects on the way! Provided management believes in Zib and Strome, won't be needing a top 6 center. Obviously don't need wingers whatsoever.

The only thing I think the Rangers need is a defensive 3C who can win a damn faceoff. Someone you can throw out there in any situation, and know you're going to get a victory in the dot. Someone like a Bellmare or a Backlund. For everything else, the only thing the Rangers need is time.

But as that time goes on, the cap will only get tighter as ELCs and bridge deals wear off. So, what do you do this offseason? Do you keep it status quo and not trade anything? Sign Buch long term and run with 3 crazy winger lines? Or do you trade Buch or one of the young wingers (provided Kreider and Panarin are immovable, for different reasons) to upgrade a piece down the line?

It's gonna be really tough for Gorts. I don't think this bursting at the seams wing depth will work for too many more years before the cap comes knocking...

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage