Forums/Armchair-GM

Ottawas two second round picks

Créé par: sensonfire
Équipe: 2021-22 Sénateurs d'Ottawa
Date de création initiale: 18 avr. 2021
Publié: 18 avr. 2021
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
A lot has been made about who Ottawa should draft with its 1st round pick, which is going to be in the top 5 most likely.

Owen Power, Dylan Guenther, Luke Hughes, Matt Beniers, etc, etc, etc.

I've already stated my case on Luke Hughes and I'm sure you have stated your case on your preferred player to draft with Ottawa's 1st round pick.

This post is about who Ottawa should consider drafting in the second round or really late in the first round if they decide to trade one of their seconds and move up in the draft.

The two players in the second round I'm most interested in are Zach Dean of the Gatineau Olympiques and Ryder Korczak of the Moose Jaw Warriors.

Down below, you'll see an explanation from dobber prospects about Dean and Korczak as well as which of Ottawa's two second round picks should be used on them.

Drafts are very unpredictable because you hardly ever know who your team might pick.

Two examples come to mind from the 2020 draft: Yegor Chinakhov and Martin Chromiak.

On Chinakhov, draft prospects hockey had him going somewhere in the 7th round.

Columbus takes him at 21st overall in the middle of the 1st round!

Draft prospects hockey had Chromiak going somewhere late in the 1st round.

He is instead picked by the LA Kings in the 5th round at 120 something.

I don't know what Ottawa's scouting staff thinks of Dean or Korczak but I hope they have at least seen them play and reached a solid conclusion on them.

Let me know who you think Ottawa should pick in the second round and I'll see you in the comments.

:D
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
88 000 000 $
24 800 000 $
33 150 000 $
3925 000 $
1750 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
13 500 000 $
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Hughes, Luke
3925 000 $
Dean, Zach
3818 333 $
Korczak, Ryder
3818 333 $
Transactions
OTT
    Zach Dean C | Gatineau (QMJHL) | 6-0 | 176lbs

He is more likely to be picked with Ottawa's 2nd rounder at 34th overall than with San Jose's 2nd rounder, which is likely to be somewhere around 40th overall.

I would not be surprised if he is sought after late in the 1st round, so Ottawa should consider trading up to get him.
    MTL
      As a leader on one of the youngest teams in the QMJHL, Zach Dean has been tasked with the heavy lifting job of not only supplying consistent production for the Olympiques, but also aiding in shutting down some of the league’s powerhouse lines iced by Shawinigan and Val d’Or. Dean is an energetic forward who can succeed in the role of puck hound as well as setup-man. His blend of off-puck anticipation as well as technical skills that enable reptile-like puck retrieval makes him the type of player whose likelihood of projecting to an impactful two-way player, quite likely. Additionally, Dean’s ability to manipulate his northbound transitional speed and effectively distribute the puck once he reaches the offensive zone makes him the type of player who could factor into a teams’ top-six.
      OTT
        Ryder Korczak | C | Moose Jaw (WHL) | 5-10 | 164lbs

He could be picked with San Jose's 2nd rounder, which is likely to be somewhere around 40th overall.

He might also go later than that.

When I read about him and watch highlights of him, I'm instantly reminded of JG Pageau :D

All he has to do is put on a few pounds, continue working on his strength and conditioning and I think he could be a great asset to the Sens :)
        NYI
          A top-five ranked forward out of Western Canada coming into this season, Korczak is a player that can be described as crafty, with quick feet and strong edge work. His read/react abilities allow him to analyze the play and position himself in ways that will help him retrieve pucks and break up plays. The young forward is a smart puck distributor but he also possesses a deceptive shot and solid finishing instincts. He is constantly moving around the ice which is typically a positive but he can lose his positioning when he wanders to the puck in the DZ. Physically, he doesn’t shy away from the dirty areas and he can be feisty at times but at this point, he does lack strength. With all that being said, we have to give credit where it’s due as the young forward recorded 67 points in 62 games last season on a very poor Warriors team that had just 14 wins in 62 games. Other than Brayden Tracey (who was traded during the season) no other player on the team came close to his level of production in 2019-2020. His draft minus one production is definitely impressive but it is important to note that he missed the 2020 draft by roughly a week and will be one of the oldest first-time eligible players for 2021. The Warriors have yet to play a game this season but when they do, expect Korczak to once again be an offensive leader for the team.
          OTT
            Somewhere for picks.
            Rachats de contrats
            Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de SJS
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de TBL
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de BOS
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de NYI
            Logo de SJS
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de OTT
            Logo de NSH
            TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
            2181 500 000 $61 585 083 $0 $4 932 500 $19 914 917 $
            Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
            Logo de Sénateurs d'Ottawa
            8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
            AG
            UFA - 7
            925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
            C
            UFA - 2
            4 800 000 $4 800 000 $
            AD, AG
            UFA - 6
            3 600 000 $3 600 000 $
            AD, AG
            UFA - 2
            925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
            C
            UFA - 1
            2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
            AD, AG
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            747 500 $747 500 $ (Bonis de performance107 500 $$108K)
            AG
            RFA - 1
            925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance600 000 $$600K)
            C
            RFA - 2
            749 250 $749 250 $
            C, AG
            UFA - 1
            4 750 000 $4 750 000 $
            C, AD
            UFA - 4
            1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
            AD, AG
            UFA - 2
            3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
            AG, AD, C
            UFA - 1
            Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
            8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
            DG
            UFA - 7
            4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
            DD
            M-NTC
            UFA - 3
            4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
            G
            M-NTC
            UFA - 3
            863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance450 000 $$450K)
            DG/DD, AG
            RFA - 1
            3 150 000 $3 150 000 $
            DD
            UFA - 2
            925 000 $925 000 $
            G
            RFA - 3
            925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
            DD
            RFA - 2
            925 000 $925 000 $
            G
            UFA - 2
            750 000 $750 000 $
            DG/DD
            UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
            • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
            18 avr. 2021 à 21 h 20
            KFTW
            Rejoint: juill. 2018
            Mentions "j'aime": 23,737
            Makes no sense to take Luke Hughes when we have Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom as the left side
            18 avr. 2021 à 21 h 24
            Démarrer sujet
            sensonfire
            Rejoint: févr. 2021
            Mentions "j'aime": 4,435
            Quoting: csick
            Makes no sense to take Luke Hughes when we have Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom as the left side

I only want Luke Hughes because he could become something like his brother Quinn and because I like certainty.

You draft best player available, regardless of position.

If it's a tossup, you draft safest player available.

Also, that's not what this post is about :P
            18 avr. 2021 à 21 h 50
            Rejoint: mai 2017
            Mentions "j'aime": 605
            Cossa
            18 avr. 2021 à 23 h 34
            Rejoint: août 2020
            Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
            i haven’t done much research on guys outside the top 15 yet, but why would we select hughes? between some combination of chabot/sanderson/brannstrom/jbd/zub/thomson our top 4 should be set for a while, and the 3rd pair is of less concern, but even then the 2 leftover guys, kleven, and guenette could fill those roles internally so our blueline is in pretty good shape looking forward. i think it’s far more important to add a top talent up front (we have holes at 1C and 1RW if stutzle stays on the LW, and if stutzle proves he’s a great 1C then we still have holes at 2LW and 1RW), and our 1st should be used on one of beniers/guenther/eklund/johnson imo. the only D i’d consider is clarke, making brannstrom expendable in a prospect swap for a top F prospect (like frost or tippett).

as for the 2nd round, i really think the sens should start this draft with 3 forwards or 2 forwards and a goalie, so i like that both the guys you mentioned are forwards. Dean seems like exactly the type of guy the sens love drafting in that spot (similar to greig/pinto in that there is top 6 upside but even in the worst case he should still be a reliable bottom 6 contributor). Korczak might be a little small though, the sens have made 5 picks in the 2nd over the last two drafts and all 5 guys were at least 6’2”, there has been a real emphasis on size by the organization. i wouldn’t mind them taking cossa, as i don’t think you can ever have too many promising young goalies in your pipeline, they’re so fickle. i also think only gustavsson/sogaard have starter upside rn, so cossa would add to that, and between those 3 i think there’s a good shot a high-end starter emerges, which is so critical for a team that wants to contend. the rest of our guys (hogberg/daccord/mandolese) i don’t see projecting as more than solid tandem level guys at best atm, although i’d love to be proved wrong. merilainen is still magic beans until he gets some experience in the liiga and the ahl but his U20 stats are obviously superb
            19 avr. 2021 à 0 h 21
            Démarrer sujet
            sensonfire
            Quoting: Alfie11
            i haven’t done much research on guys outside the top 15 yet, but why would we select hughes? between some combination of chabot/sanderson/brannstrom/jbd/zub/thomson our top 4 should be set for a while, and the 3rd pair is of less concern, but even then the 2 leftover guys, kleven, and guenette could fill those roles internally so our blueline is in pretty good shape looking forward. i think it’s far more important to add a top talent up front (we have holes at 1C and 1RW if stutzle stays on the LW, and if stutzle proves he’s a great 1C then we still have holes at 2LW and 1RW), and our 1st should be used on one of beniers/guenther/eklund/johnson imo. the only D i’d consider is clarke, making brannstrom expendable in a prospect swap for a top F prospect (like frost or tippett).

as for the 2nd round, i really think the sens should start this draft with 3 forwards or 2 forwards and a goalie, so i like that both the guys you mentioned are forwards. Dean seems like exactly the type of guy the sens love drafting in that spot (similar to greig/pinto in that there is top 6 upside but even in the worst case he should still be a reliable bottom 6 contributor). Korczak might be a little small though, the sens have made 5 picks in the 2nd over the last two drafts and all 5 guys were at least 6’2”, there has been a real emphasis on size by the organization. i wouldn’t mind them taking cossa, as i don’t think you can ever have too many promising young goalies in your pipeline, they’re so fickle. i also think only gustavsson/sogaard have starter upside rn, so cossa would add to that, and between those 3 i think there’s a good shot a high-end starter emerges, which is so critical for a team that wants to contend. the rest of our guys (hogberg/daccord/mandolese) i don’t see projecting as more than solid tandem level guys at best atm, although i’d love to be proved wrong. merilainen is still magic beans until he gets some experience in the liiga and the ahl but his U20 stats are obviously superb

My argument is that whichever team gets Luke Hughes is guaranteed to get Quinn Hughes 2.0.

Brian Burke once said position matters very little when it comes to drafting, even if you have 20 defensemen.

If the best player available is a defenseman, you pick him.

No ifs, ands or buts about it.

This is my criteria for drafting in order of importance:

1. Best Player Available (BPA)

2. Safest Player Available (SPA) or the player that you think is least likely to turn into a bust.

3. If there is still no clear cut favourite on the BPA or SPA, then you draft by position.

If you only draft based on positional needs, then you'll be missing out on some really good players.

Guaranteed smile
            19 avr. 2021 à 7 h 13
            Quoting: sensonfire
            My argument is that whichever team gets Luke Hughes is guaranteed to get Quinn Hughes 2.0.

Brian Burke once said position matters very little when it comes to drafting, even if you have 20 defensemen.

2. Safest Player Available (SPA) or the player that you think is least likely to turn into a bust.

3. If there is still no clear cut favourite on the BPA or SPA, then you draft by position.

If you only draft based on positional needs, then you'll be missing out on some really good players.

Guaranteed smile

Who do you think hughes is better than? I would argue that at least 2 or 3 of the forwards are simply a better overall player than hughes, so to assume that hughes will both be available and be better than anyone else available and thus make him your target seems kinda odd at this point. i have him going around 4 or 5, but like even for a guy like johnson who is maybe ever so slightly lower rated right now, why draft a 4th top pair calibre LD (chabot/sanderson/brannstrom) when a high end forward that fills a need for your team and is pretty much just as good is right there for the taking?
            sensonfire a aimé ceci.
            19 avr. 2021 à 7 h 15
            Quoting: sensonfire

Guaranteed smile

also if the sens didn't draft for position/needs they wouldn't have taken sanderson lol there were better players still on the board for sure
            sensonfire a aimé ceci.
            19 avr. 2021 à 8 h 44
            Démarrer sujet
            sensonfire
            Quoting: Alfie11
            Who do you think hughes is better than? I would argue that at least 2 or 3 of the forwards are simply a better overall player than hughes, so to assume that hughes will both be available and be better than anyone else available and thus make him your target seems kinda odd at this point. i have him going around 4 or 5, but like even for a guy like johnson who is maybe ever so slightly lower rated right now, why draft a 4th top pair calibre LD (chabot/sanderson/brannstrom) when a high end forward that fills a need for your team and is pretty much just as good is right there for the taking?

I feel really confident making the case Hughes is better than everybody else in the 2021 draft class except for maybe Owen Power, Matt Beniers and Dylan Guenther.

That means I have Hughes ranked 4th overall or higher.

As things stand, Ottawa has a 44.5% chance of picking 4th overall in 2021.

So, we'll see what happens smile

Répondre
            To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
            Question:
            Options:
            Ajouter une option
            Soumettre le sondage