Forums/NHL Trades

(DET/WSH) - Mantha for Pánik, Vrána, 2021 1st, 2022 2nd

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 avr. 2021 à 18 h 37
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Why not 1 for 1? Vrana for Mantha straight up sounds fair to me. Vrana is a 5on5 goal scoring machine. Maybe throw in a draft pick to compensate for Panik? Last season Vrana (24) scored 14 more goals at even strength than Mantha (10). And I believe that Mantha had far more O-zone starts. The more I think about it, the more I think this was an absolute fleecing by Yzerman.
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2021 à 19 h 3
Jurajio
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 25
You know I don't hate this for the caps, Vranas contract was expiring by the looks of it and Mantha is signed for 4 more years, I do believe that this will be a good deal for both teams.
12 avr. 2021 à 19 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 11,898
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
The biggest move of the deadline breaks 30 minutes after it passes. I’m not loving this for the caps at all. Big win for the Red Wings.

I have to agree with you, I thought if Mantha got traded I'd be upset but I'm not upset at all.
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2021 à 19 h 35
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,127
Woooooooaaaahhh this looks scary for my Penguins. It will be a battle in the playoffs.
12 avr. 2021 à 21 h 43
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Mantha was nearly a point per game player last year on one of the worst teams, I think he could be really good playing with a better supporting cast. WSH definitely overpaid in this trade, but aside from the picks (which will likely end up being late ones anyway), I think this makes them a better team right now
boombadoomba a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2021 à 8 h 48
Yes
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 103
Quoting: HelmutCool
Am I missing something? Watched a few red wings games and atleast in those Mantha played really badly. Was a defensive liability, looked uninterested etc. I was thinking that guy is going to get his contract bought out in a year or two. How is he worth this now? All off Vranas stats are better and although contract expiring its still RFA. Cant imagine it being much more than Manthas 5.7M/year atleast.

Mantha does seem uninterested when he plays, but he plays on the Red Wings. I think he'll put on his A game in Washington.
13 avr. 2021 à 14 h 23
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387
I couldn't emotionally handle coming into this thread without some time to decompress. From a pure hockey standpoint, the Caps got a better fit for Laviolette's system, cost certainty for the next three years, and someone who (I believe) was just on a 30+ goal, 70+ point pace last year. Giving up the picks isn't ideal, but I could care less about draft picks while we still have a shot to win. Ultimately, this deal made the Caps better today.

But my love for Jakub Vrana can't help but make me mad that this deal went down. My favorite non-Ovechkin player on our team is gone. I even have his jersey hanging up in my room. This is a tough one to emotionally swallow for myself and a ton of other Caps fans.
Rangsey, SevenLeg, PrincessChloe and 2 others a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2021 à 10 h 13
NoCupsForCanada
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 557
Quoting: krakowitz
I couldn't emotionally handle coming into this thread without some time to decompress. From a pure hockey standpoint, the Caps got a better fit for Laviolette's system, cost certainty for the next three years, and someone who (I believe) was just on a 30+ goal, 70+ point pace last year. Giving up the picks isn't ideal, but I could care less about draft picks while we still have a shot to win. Ultimately, this deal made the Caps better today.

But my love for Jakub Vrana can't help but make me mad that this deal went down. My favorite non-Ovechkin player on our team is gone. I even have his jersey hanging up in my room. This is a tough one to emotionally swallow for myself and a ton of other Caps fans.

A lot of us are scratching our heads in Detroit trying to figure out why Vrana fell out of favor in WSH. Mantha will probably put up 20-30 goals a season and 50-60 pts for the Caps. He has the potential to do so much more, but refuses to put in the effort. A lot of Wings fans were sick of watching a 6'5" pylon glide around the ice and wait for opportunities rather than creating them. When asked about the trade on the broadcast that night, Mickey Redmond deadpanned "Well Mantha had some trouble picking up his feet this year." Mantha was even benched earlier in the season because he was spending entire shifts just floating and waiting for pucks to come to him.

Vrana can skate like the wind, has a wicked shot, and can't be any worse defensively than Mantha. I could see them trading the pair 1 for 1, but giving him up along with a 1st and a 2nd is just madness to me.
14 avr. 2021 à 10 h 27
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,707
The more i think about the trade, the more it makes SOME sense. Caps needed to dump paniks contract, and i would assume the second rounder was what it took to get rid of it. Mantha comes with term and Vrana would have gotten that money or more anyway in the offseason so that makes sense to. BUT, there was still no need to have a first rounder in there as i would say Vrana and Mantha are close in value. A lower round pick could have been better.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
22 avr. 2021 à 13 h 17
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 48
Does Mantha continue his goal scoring streak tonight against NYI? He scored in his final game with Detroit and his first four games with Washington. Will he make it 6 games in a row?
22 avr. 2021 à 21 h 53
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 15
Vrana is a really nice piece for Detroit and they got a 1st and 2nd round picks on top of that. Washington got robbed big time.
23 avr. 2021 à 9 h 39
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 48
Quoting: noname123456
Vrana is a really nice piece for Detroit and they got a 1st and 2nd round picks on top of that. Washington got robbed big time.

I guess it depends how much value a late 1st round pick has in this years draft. The 2nd rounder was basically to get rid of Panik and his 2.75 million cap hit to free up space to re-sign Ovechkin/Samsonov/Chara. They probably still need to move another contract, maybe Orlov.
25 avr. 2021 à 3 h 35
Reviewing this trade 2 weeks later:

Mantha: 4G, 2A, -1 +/-, 13 SOG in 6 GP for Caps. Team is 4-2-0.

Vrana: 5G, 1A, +4 +/- , 11 SOG in 5 GP for Red Wings. Team is 2-2-1.

Both Mantha and Vrana have far exceeded expectations over the first 2 weeks with their new teams. Both players are shooting at ridiculous percentages. Obviously unsustainable. On paper, this is still a huge win for DET. But, Mantha has never played in a winning organization and he should be highly motivated. If WASH wins the Cup in the next 4 years while under current contract, Caps fans will love this trade. If Mantha is an all star (probably not gonna happen), Caps fans will sleep well.

Vrana's speed and excellent 5on5 goal scoring ability should be a fantastic fit for DET. If he's a 25G scorer, DET wins this trade. Anything more is a bonus. Throw in the 1st and 2nd rounders and this trade remains a monster win for Yzerman and the Red Wings.

So far, both teams win. But, I still contend that this should've been a 1 for 1 trade. The added picks, especially the 1st rounder make this trade a steal for DET, assuming you consider the 2nd rounder fair compensation for taking on Panik's contract.

WASH: B-
DET: A+
TheWolfe a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2021 à 16 h 40
NoCupsForCanada
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 557
Quoting: Brian2016
Reviewing this trade 2 weeks later:

Mantha: 4G, 2A, -1 +/-, 13 SOG in 6 GP for Caps. Team is 4-2-0.

Vrana: 5G, 1A, +4 +/- , 11 SOG in 5 GP for Red Wings. Team is 2-2-1.

Both Mantha and Vrana have far exceeded expectations over the first 2 weeks with their new teams. Both players are shooting at ridiculous percentages. Obviously unsustainable. On paper, this is still a huge win for DET. But, Mantha has never played in a winning organization and he should be highly motivated. If WASH wins the Cup in the next 4 years while under current contract, Caps fans will love this trade. If Mantha is an all star (probably not gonna happen), Caps fans will sleep well.

Vrana's speed and excellent 5on5 goal scoring ability should be a fantastic fit for DET. If he's a 25G scorer, DET wins this trade. Anything more is a bonus. Throw in the 1st and 2nd rounders and this trade remains a monster win for Yzerman and the Red Wings.

So far, both teams win. But, I still contend that this should've been a 1 for 1 trade. The added picks, especially the 1st rounder make this trade a steal for DET, assuming you consider the 2nd rounder fair compensation for taking on Panik's contract.

WASH: B-
DET: A+

Pretty sound analysis. I'm loving watching Vrana even if the team is still mediocre. I'm also loving not having to watch Mantha be a glaring minus on play after play anymore. Just last night he set up a great opportunity in OT that didn't connect. Friend of mine and I were watching the game and he remarked "well here comes the Mantha minus"

30 seconds later the Pens bury it while Mantha is floating in no mans land like he usually is in the defensive zone. Just another microcosm of what made the guy so frustrating to watch. Very talented player, but a magnet for minus plays even while putting up points.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
30 avr. 2021 à 21 h 30
Quoting: TheWolfe
Pretty sound analysis. I'm loving watching Vrana even if the team is still mediocre. I'm also loving not having to watch Mantha be a glaring minus on play after play anymore. Just last night he set up a great opportunity in OT that didn't connect. Friend of mine and I were watching the game and he remarked "well here comes the Mantha minus"

30 seconds later the Pens bury it while Mantha is floating in no mans land like he usually is in the defensive zone. Just another microcosm of what made the guy so frustrating to watch. Very talented player, but a magnet for minus plays even while putting up points.

I agree 100%. Mantha's size and pure talent always leave you wanting more. But, I really like the Wings prospect pool. I love Zadina, too. And this trade will make that pool even deeper.
28 juin 2021 à 14 h 33
Canes fan
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,578
I now have a feeling that Yzerman is psychic. Vrana has turned out to be as good, if not better than Mantha. Then that gives you a free experienced bottom 6 piece, a 1st that is now higher than expected, and a 2nd. Steve Yzerman is a legend.
Saskleaf et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
28 juin 2021 à 17 h 7
WentWughes
Mentions "j'aime": 10,231
Quoting: Dzinger18
I now have a feeling that Yzerman is psychic. Vrana has turned out to be as good, if not better than Mantha. Then that gives you a free experienced bottom 6 piece, a 1st that is now higher than expected, and a 2nd. Steve Yzerman is a legend.

Has nothing to do with being Psychic. Washington lost this trade day 1 and even worse now
Zinger, Saskleaf, TheWolfe and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 déc. 2021 à 13 h 29
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,165
Bad trade. I miss vrana
5 déc. 2021 à 16 h 53
WentWughes
Quoting: capsfan2121
Bad trade. I miss vrana

This was an awful trade the day it was made
capsfan2121 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
5 déc. 2021 à 16 h 56
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
This was an awful trade the day it was made

We need to get Viteks best friend back
6 déc. 2021 à 18 h 14
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,630
Even if Mantha somehow managed to unlock another gear to his game, Detroit still wins this trade
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 oct. 2022 à 12 h 49
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Can’t believe the caps got so desperate that they Paniked

You guys paniked too
3 janv. 2023 à 14 h 30
Tintin over 1122
Did we win this
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 janv. 2023 à 14 h 35
Craig Laughlin Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,707
Did we win this

I Was never really in the “Washington lost” camp after Friedman reported that the 1st was to dump Panik, but if Vrana is claimed elsewhere, I’d have to call it a wash more than anything. No way to know how going to player assistance affected him and I’d say it’s unfair to call Detroit fully a “loser” for not for seeing that Vrana would have perosnal issues he needed to deal with. Hard to touch this one imo
3 janv. 2023 à 18 h 54
WentWughes
Did we win this

Answer is still no. It closes the gap, but that's because Detroit lost trades relating to this one and they can't manage player relations. Washington still got destroyed value wise.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage