SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Trading for injured players

2 avr. 2021 à 10 h 52
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 165
Could trading for an injured player be a way for the Habs to shed payroll?

The example I saw was a proposed deal that centered around Lehkonen to the Sens for Stepan. If I’m to assume the intent of the deal correctly, the Habs trade away the cap hit of Lehkonen (freeing up cap space), and after acquiring Stepan, put him on LTIR (also freeing up cap space as his contract would not count on the cap). And since Stepan is UFA this summer, there’s no long term implications for the Habs.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Is this a tactic that Bergevin could use?

Can injured players be traded?
2 avr. 2021 à 11 h 20
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: MONSTER1974
Could trading for an injured player be a way for the Habs to shed payroll?

The example I saw was a proposed deal that centered around Lehkonen to the Sens for Stepan. If I’m to assume the intent of the deal correctly, the Habs trade away the cap hit of Lehkonen (freeing up cap space), and after acquiring Stepan, put him on LTIR (also freeing up cap space as his contract would not count on the cap). And since Stepan is UFA this summer, there’s no long term implications for the Habs.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Is this a tactic that Bergevin could use?

Can injured players be traded?

Injured players can be traded, but that would just limit the amount of cap the habs can accrue. If they just moved cap on its own it would help more, but it does pretty much nothing unless the habs are planning on adding another player.

And at this point I wouldn’t be willing to trade anyone on the roster to clear cap unless we’re getting Mattias Ekholm back, and I’m not sure the Preds are willing to move him anymore.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage