SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

1st Coach Canned?

14 févr. 2021 à 2 h 48
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Will GM's give their coaches more slack this season b/c of the general craziness? I think a little bit. That being said, I can think of a few guys who must be on, or near the hot seat:

1. John Hynes NSH - The level at which they were just embarrassed by DET shows me that Hynes' system isn't working. It's not his fault that the goaltending is terrible or that there's a $16M a year black hole in their top 2 Centers. Personally, I think he'll survive the season, but big changes are probably coming to Smashville.

2. Travis Green VAN - Really high expectations and bad defense are a recipe for disaster. But, maybe they turned a corner last night against CGY - easily their best all-around game in weeks. Green's contract expires at the end of the season so if they don't turn things around fast I could see Benning and Green parting ways before the TDL.

3. Torts CBJ - Columbus media has called for Torts to be let go after a series of high profile confrontations this season. Torts is obviously a top notch bench boss, but if Columbus falters I can see Jarmo moving on by the TDL.

4. Geoff Ward CGY - The Flames clearly have the talent to be a top 4 team in the North but, even though I never saw Ward as a long term fixture, but he took over at a tough time and brought stability to the team after a lot of drama with Bill Peters. But, there's way too much talent here to be a mediocre team.

5. Other
14 févr. 2021 à 3 h 3
Démarrer sujet
I think if a coach were to be fired mid-season their replacement would almost definitely come from inside the organization in order to avoid a prolonged quarantine. The condensed schedule certainly doesn't help either. That being said, I think Torts will be the first coach fired this season - and maybe the only coach fired this season.
14 févr. 2021 à 6 h 24
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,364
I’m pretty sure the Canucks CEO said Travis Green is staying for at least 1 more year today
14 févr. 2021 à 17 h 16
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I’m pretty sure the Canucks CEO said Travis Green is staying for at least 1 more year today

Everyone seems to think he's an excellent coach. Maybe Benning should be the one to lose his job over all of the bad contracts he's signed.
14 févr. 2021 à 17 h 52
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Hynes, Tortorella and Sullivan will be out the door before the start of next season. Blashill might not return to Detroit next season either, can't say their recent run has been a great look for his resume.
14 févr. 2021 à 22 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: mondo
Hynes, Tortorella and Sullivan will be out the door before the start of next season. Blashill might not return to Detroit next season either, can't say their recent run has been a great look for his resume.

Gotta think Sullivan will be snapped up immediately. The rest are a little iffy. Maybe Blashill has the best chance of bouncing right back.
15 févr. 2021 à 10 h 12
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,271
Quoting: Brian2016
Everyone seems to think he's an excellent coach. Maybe Benning should be the one to lose his job over all of the bad contracts he's signed.

9/10 it's the GMs fault when a coach gets fired. He has to fault somebody else to save his own ass. I think that's why we see the same coaches get reused so often
15 févr. 2021 à 11 h 2
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Hynes seems like most likely for sure. For all the others you mentioned, I think the teams will likely wait until after the season to make a decision, unless the team goes on a terrible losing streak.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. 2021 à 15 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Hynes seems like most likely for sure. For all the others you mentioned, I think the teams will likely wait until after the season to make a decision, unless the team goes on a terrible losing streak.

Nashville is a dumpster fire. They have $16M tied up on two 3rd line centers for the next half decade. Hynes is in a tough spot, but David Poile put him there.
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
15 févr. 2021 à 15 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
9/10 it's the GMs fault when a coach gets fired. He has to fault somebody else to save his own ass. I think that's why we see the same coaches get reused so often

I totally agree. Coaches don't dish out terrible long term contracts or make poor decisions in the draft.
15 févr. 2021 à 18 h 19
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: Brian2016
Nashville is a dumpster fire. They have $16M tied up on two 3rd line centers for the next half decade. Hynes is in a tough spot, but David Poile put him there.

Absolutely. However, like @KSIxSKULLS said, coaches take the blame when GMs are scrambling trying to keep their job. Poile should’ve been gone long before now, but I’m not sure how close ownership is to pulling the trigger.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
17 févr. 2021 à 18 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Might have to add David Quinn to this list if the Rangers don't turn things around, but I'm sure he's safe until the summer, regardless of how they perform the rest of this season.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage