Discussing My Concerns About Mitch Marner

Would You Explore Trading Marner?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 janv. 2021 à 15 h 9
Marner Enthusiast
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 996
Even though the Leafs are off to a pretty good start, I can’t help but notice that once again, Mitch Marner is struggling to get to his game. While he is still putting up points, his overall play has just not been at the level that it needs to be.

For example, he is always fumbling the puck and turning it over. He has the tendency to skate into trouble and run straight into the opposition. He is constantly falling over when he steps onto the ice. Away from the puck, it seems like he’s not moving his legs. He just floats around while never making an effort to retrieve pucks or go to the dirty area.

Having followed Marner closely since his debut, I really believe that he is capable of making a much greater impact than what he’s currently offering. However, it seems like he has no more confidence or desire to continue playing for this team.

His decision making and effort has been poor for so long now that the question is no longer a matter of when he will get back to his best form, but rather if it’s even a possibility.

We all want to see him get back to the level he played in 2017/18 and 2018/19. However, before each game we are more worried of him being a liability than expecting him to be a difference maker. If the guy can’t even contribute consistently during the regular season, how can we expect him to help the team win in the playoffs? Perhaps we are getting to the point where a trade would be beneficial for all parties.
23 janv. 2021 à 15 h 13
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
No, Toronto isn't trading Marner to Pittsburgh.
23 janv. 2021 à 15 h 15
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
What’d you guys think?
23 janv. 2021 à 15 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mondo
No, Toronto isn't trading Marner to Pittsburgh.

I’m not saying the Leafs have to trade Him but I just don’t feel confident he’ll get back to his best for your team.
23 janv. 2021 à 16 h 2
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 7,855
Get a new thing MikeyPensFan, and MitchMarnerElite. We all know you are the same robot.
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 16 h 34
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,464
I don't mind trading Marner or any player. But since so many teams are close to the cap, equal cap would almost certainly come to the Leafs. And teams with cap would rather sign a UFA (s) for 10m that give any good futures in a trade back to the Leafs.
So really a don't see a fit for teams trading for Marner, though I would welcome any ideas.
GenXHockey et BigDaddyOvech a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 16 h 47
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
No. He's leading the nhl in points, why trade him unless you are getting a young d stud.
23 janv. 2021 à 17 h 10
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: Saskleaf
No. He's leading the nhl in points, why trade him unless you are getting a young d stud.

And really do we needed any of those? Sure we wouldn’t mind one but it isn’t a need. Offensive depth is a need but you don’t trade stars for depth players. My opinion is this core of players is perfect. The small pieces around them need to be tweaked from time to time.
Saskleaf, PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 17 h 18
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,152
Quoting: Jamiepo
And really do we needed any of those? Sure we wouldn’t mind one but it isn’t a need. Offensive depth is a need but you don’t trade stars for depth players. My opinion is this core of players is perfect. The small pieces around them need to be tweaked from time to time.

My point. Unless we are getting Heiskanen, Hughes or Makar, it's no need.
23 janv. 2021 à 20 h 21
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,201
I think as a GM you need to be open to trading anyone if the deal makes sense, however I think it's very unlikely that there is a Marner trade out there that would be beneficial to the team.
BigDaddyOvech a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 20 h 23

Exactly this.

Any guys that you have on your personal wish list for offensive depth?
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 20 h 45
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Exactly this.

Any guys that you have on your personal wish list for offensive depth?

I actually don’t really. Would have to be someone from the Canadian division. To be honest I just want Robertson back. If anything maybe a small deadline move but it would have to be with a Canadian team and is anyone going to fall off the playoff race that bad? Tough to say.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 21 h 10
I actually don’t really. Would have to be someone from the Canadian division. To be honest I just want Robertson back. If anything maybe a small deadline move but it would have to be with a Canadian team and is anyone going to fall off the playoff race that bad? Tough to say.

Yeah man, that sucks that Robertson's out. Just feel so bad for the guy and he has the potential to be a significant X-factor.

I wouldn't mind acquiring someone from outside the Canadian division, just as long as they don't weaken the current roster to do it. I'd also hope that they do it a bit earlier on than the deadline.

From inside the Canadian division, I'm a huge fan of Bennett (even though he doesn't exactly bring an offensive boost), but I doubt Calgary misses the playoffs, let alone being out of the race by the deadline.
23 janv. 2021 à 21 h 28
Formerly Jamiepo
Yeah man, that sucks that Robertson's out. Just feel so bad for the guy and he has the potential to be a significant X-factor.

I wouldn't mind acquiring someone from outside the Canadian division, just as long as they don't weaken the current roster to do it. I'd also hope that they do it a bit earlier on than the deadline.

From inside the Canadian division, I'm a huge fan of Bennett (even though he doesn't exactly bring an offensive boost), but I doubt Calgary misses the playoffs, let alone being out of the race by the deadline.

Bennet won’t be moved. Now if leivo doesn’t work out in Calgary I wouldn’t mind getting him back,
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
23 janv. 2021 à 21 h 36
Bennet won’t be moved. Now if leivo doesn’t work out in Calgary I wouldn’t mind getting him back,

I wouldn't expect him to be, I'd just really like him. Leivo would be alright, I think I'd rather shoot a bit higher though.
23 janv. 2021 à 21 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
I think as a GM you need to be open to trading anyone if the deal makes sense, however I think it's very unlikely that there is a Marner trade out there that would be beneficial to the team.

In general if the leafs dont have better success in the playoffs this season Marner of Nylander is gone. Dubas made his moves without moving any of the big 4 and so far it's so far paid off. Other than that one bad game against Ottawa this team has played extremely well especially on the defensive end. Only issue people are saying is 5 on 5 offense but what many dont realize is when teams play solid defense 5 on 5 offense usually takes a dip. Fully expect it to improve over time. Now if this team does well but falls in R1 of the playoffs thats when the gloves come off and Dubas will need to make a move and due to Covid, Nylander will probs be the guy to go as not many teams can afford a 10.893mill contract.
23 janv. 2021 à 22 h 24
Smythe.over.Hart
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
6 games in give it time. 20 games in we can talk more. 8 points in 6 games is fine to start. His game will round out as time goes on. Stick to the plan.
24 janv. 2021 à 0 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,207
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
Even though the Leafs are off to a pretty good start, I can’t help but notice that once again, Mitch Marner is struggling to get to his game. While he is still putting up points, his overall play has just not been at the level that it needs to be.

For example, he is always fumbling the puck and turning it over. He has the tendency to skate into trouble and run straight into the opposition. He is constantly falling over when he steps onto the ice. Away from the puck, it seems like he’s not moving his legs. He just floats around while never making an effort to retrieve pucks or go to the dirty area.

Having followed Marner closely since his debut, I really believe that he is capable of making a much greater impact than what he’s currently offering. However, it seems like he has no more confidence or desire to continue playing for this team.

His decision making and effort has been poor for so long now that the question is no longer a matter of when he will get back to his best form, but rather if it’s even a possibility.

We all want to see him get back to the level he played in 2017/18 and 2018/19. However, before each game we are more worried of him being a liability than expecting him to be a difference maker. If the guy can’t even contribute consistently during the regular season, how can we expect him to help the team win in the playoffs? Perhaps we are getting to the point where a trade would be beneficial for all parties.

bruh what games have you been watching? He was bad in the second game but has otherwise been elite.
24 janv. 2021 à 13 h 6
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary

he has probaly been the leafs best player i do not agree
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: palhal
I don't mind trading Marner or any player. But since so many teams are close to the cap, equal cap would almost certainly come to the Leafs. And teams with cap would rather sign a UFA (s) for 10m that give any good futures in a trade back to the Leafs.
So really a don't see a fit for teams trading for Marner, though I would welcome any ideas.

Yeah that’s true you probably wouldn’t be able to trade Marner without taking on salary back or retain.
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Saskleaf

Obviously it would be nice to get a franchise D but I honestly think the Leafs current blueline is strong enough to contend. Especially with the emergence of Holl and Brodie. I feel the only weak link on the team is Marner. IDK if he can elevate his game to a higher level but if he does Toronto would be unstoppable.
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast

What about Taylor Hall? He’s a big power forward type player with great possession driving numbers historically.
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: aadoyle
In general if the leafs dont have better success in the playoffs this season Marner of Nylander is gone. Dubas made his moves without moving any of the big 4 and so far it's so far paid off. Other than that one bad game against Ottawa this team has played extremely well especially on the defensive end. Only issue people are saying is 5 on 5 offense but what many dont realize is when teams play solid defense 5 on 5 offense usually takes a dip. Fully expect it to improve over time. Now if this team does well but falls in R1 of the playoffs thats when the gloves come off and Dubas will need to make a move and due to Covid, Nylander will probs be the guy to go as not many teams can afford a 10.893mill contract.

A lot of fans are going to be pissed if Dubas moves Nylander over Marner but Marner’s Cap Hit will be nearly impossible to move. There aren’t a lot of intriguing Nylander moves either besides sending him to NYR for Lafreniere + 1st Round pick.
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
6 games in give it time. 20 games in we can talk more. 8 points in 6 games is fine to start. His game will round out as time goes on. Stick to the plan.

IDK if he’s slow or just lazy but he literally floats in the defensive zone like Kessel. Never backchecks and never wins the race to the puck. At least he’s putting up points but he’s stuck in his own end too much.
24 janv. 2021 à 20 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: leafs101
bruh what games have you been watching? He was bad in the second game but has otherwise been elite.

He’s had good moments, sure. But his overall play has not been at the level that it needs to be. His play driving analytics are horrible: https://twitter.com/jamesjohnsonyyc/status/1353500750505070592?s=21

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage