SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens Season Discussion Thread

29 août 2021 à 14 h 12
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,714
Modifié 29 août 2021 à 14 h 24
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

Fair points and opinion DRH, but I still respectively disagree on many aspects here. Sorry for the long winded response, but some things can't be said 150 characters wink

I do not dislike KK, the human being, for taking more money. As everyone likes to point out, you would have done the same thing, right?. Well, actually that isn't always true. I've been offered more money at my current job and declined. More money usually means more responsibility and that isn't always welcome when you feel your being compensated well enough already that accepting a gross overpayment would only put a target on your back from a productivity POV but also from my peers opinion of me POV (assuming they could see what I was being paid like in the NHL). More money means more responsibility for KK and if he can't handle it, that severely hampers the teams ability to improve the team going forward. Regardless, to each their own on this subject but a blanket statement that someone will always take more just because they can, isn't true. The money has to be worth expectations on the player and responsibility that comes with it. There is a reason some players DO take less money to stay in better situations, etc. While this is a very small minority, the rule doesn't apply unanimously.

There is also the idea that the range of salary improved is equally scalable upwards. If I make 50K a year now and Im offered 150K a year, that changes my life in a way that is absolutely profound. Going from 2M to 6M means you get to go from a Benz to a Lambo. This tired opinion that players are struggling pay cheque to pay cheque needs to stop. Yes they deserve to make good money for what they do but in all fields, we cheer a person on when they've earned the right to it. Not when they haven't. And may I also add, had MB been able to counter the OS if KK and his agent went back to MB before signing it, could have offered KK a longer term contract that pays him out more than his 1 year OS. Giving him longer term security. Since as you mentioned players need to make as much as possible as quickly as they can, mainly due to injury uncertainty, etc, right? Wouldn't it be more wise to accept a long term guaranteed contract then? In the event of a player not being able to play anymore next year due to sudden injury/illness, would pay him out more than this 1 year deal now. A deal, one can only assume would have been what KK and his agent were approximately pushing for BEFORE this OS, right? So If MB is offering 2M and the player is probably in the range of 4-5M based on his high end comparables that virtually all players agents base their offers on, the player would have secured more money and security over the long haul while negotiating directly with the manager in good faith. Something Im sure MB would have much preferred and the player himself wanted from the beginning.

IMHO the play here for KK, assuming he wanted to sign a long term deal as mentioned by Friedge, was to negotiate from a point of power with his new OS offer as leverage. Forcing MB to come up in salary and term from his previous 2.5Mx2 offer, to something closer to what KK and his agent were asking for originally (~4.5x4 maybe? IDK). Heck, there was a case that it made more sense to sign KK to his original asking price in July, whatever that was (surely not 15M x 8 years), then this deal. Would have given the player EXACTLY what he wanted originally and given him long term stability while giving the team better control and flexibility. But more importantly IMO, good faith and negotiation that 99.9% of the time happens between a GM and player. That way, everyone's happy. Right now, only KK and the other team are happy. So you can see where the Habs feel they have been done dirty by this.

Now as for Arpon's article, the Habs are in no way, supposed to put a player in a position to better succeed automatically if they have not given reason for it yet. And frankly the idea that KK wasn't given opportunity isn't entirely true either. There were times when KK was given time on better lines to show what he was capable of but never seized the moment. Apparently the Habs were supposed to just grant him the time and not make any changes? What message does that send to other players who played better than him? Danault or Suzuki for example. Habs did him dirty? Sounds like he felt entitled more than anything. In this case, I agree with management and that's often a rare case. Aside from the past though, he was about to be given that very opportunity he clamored for to prove himself with automatic guarantee this very year, to show what he could do and to earn the next big contract but is focusing on how HE was mishandled and disrespected.

They benched ME.
They low balled ME.
They didn't give ME #1 line minutes.....

Well KK,

YOU also have played badly in the 3 years you been drafted.
YOU have been given opportunities to be a top end player and did nothing with it.
YOU are objectively asking for something you don't deserve.

Not all criticism should be on the team here.

If KK took MB's comments in such a bad light that he felt scolded by it, than I question his character as a player. He has done almost nothing to warrant top 2 line minutes yet and the Habs WERE about to give him it anyway. Scoring a few goals in the playoffs has inflated his head beyond belief and just like when a pending UFA player scores in a deep playoff run then goes in to cash on his next contract, it 99% of the time is a bad contract, no different here. Aside from that, the Habs WANT KK to succeed and be good, something that seems to glide over everyone's head here. They are not rooting for him to be bad, they want their team to be good. They HAVE given him time to grow and get better and yet he has struggled virtually every time aside from a few playoff games here and there when the spotlight was brightest. Inflating everyone's self worth frankly. Yes they benched him. Yes they didn't give him glowing remarks. YOU also didn't play well. YOU also didn't prove enough. That isn't a player being suppressed and unfairly judged by the oppressive big corporation, the Montreal Canadiens. If the relationship of the two was so badly deteriorated after being benched a couple games when he deserved it at age 20 and was offered a contract that was widely agreed upon as fair value (2-2.5M), than once again, I question KK's character. If he was in the mindset of "trolling", than not sure how anyone can disagree with his lack of character. The soon to be millionaire KK is being quite petty with the amazing opportunity he was given with the Habs and his punishing them unfairly. IMHO ciao bye, and good riddance. Well done Canes, you played that perfectly and I commend you for it, even though it pisses me as a Habs fan.

NOW.......I want to clarify many things here:

- My opinions on this situation do not endorse Marc Bergevin's involvement in the Chicago situation or the drafting of Mailloux. (Not sure if that was implied but in case it was, I want my opinion to be clear on it) I've hated MB since 2016 (Subban trade day) and my repeated comments on this site on it are numerous. This Hawks/Mailloux situations only solidified my hate for MB but that doesn't mean I therefore HAVE to side with the players on any issue affecting the team that arises because MB is a POS.

- There is an overwhelming opinion on the internet right now that if you don't side with the players in every monetary aspect, you are siding with the "billionaire owners" as a result..... This is getting out of hand. I do not give two pucks about Geoff Molson's margins and frankly I generally want the player to get what they deserve for the job they do more than any compensation ownership deserves for their investment. The key aspect here is that I am not a fan of the owner nor the player really, I am a fan of the hockey team, the thing that gets caught in between the rock and a hard place, and because of the constraints of the salary cap, one players greed to make as much as he possibly can, can have many negative impacts on the rest of the team that I cheer for as much as having a crappy owner such a Melnyk can negatively affect the team I cheer for.. KK was greedy here, and as a human being to another human being, good for him because money is important to all of us but that doesn't mean by not actively cheering the player on in this scenario, Im advocating for the other sides greediness in past transgressions also. Owners/management can be heartless monsters but so can a player for putting the team I cheer for in a precarious position as a result of their over zealous negotiation tactic.

- My over arching opinions on KK aren't a blanket opinion applied to all players in OS scenarios in the past or going forward. Just KK's, right now. As much as its hard for a fan of another team to put them selves in the shoes of another teams fan base, had I been a Canes fan when Aho signed his OS, I wouldn't have been mad at him. The player, deserving of 8.5M a year was being low balled by the billionaire owner. He deserved to get paid and the team that had the money and knew he was worth it, refused to pay it out. That's on the greedy OWNERS. The opposite has happened here with KK. The player is using the Canes revenge OS to GROSSLY overpay for his service not because the player was worth it, Canes wouldn't have done this if it weren't for the Aho OS, but to stick it to the Habs and KK is taking full advantage of that. That's his prerogative of course but having to support the player simply because the owners are billionaires is not a valid opinion here. Contrarily, we'd be scolding the team for them doing something similar to the player. I always hate when a GM takes a good player to arbitration to squeeze them for every penny. I'd be all in favor of the player, at that point (if they were able to), to do whatever in their means to "stick it the team" such as accept an outlandish OS. So my disapproval of KK himself is with they way he handled this situation more than the the situation/contract itself.
29 août 2021 à 15 h 34
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,632

flushed cheeks flushed cheeks flushed cheeks flushed cheeks
29 août 2021 à 15 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
If Bergevin we’re going to trade for Eichel, it would likely decimate our prospect pool, and it would mean that Bergevin is saying “F*** it” and just goes all in with no regard for the future while being in the last year of his contract.

There’s already questions about whether he wants to continue to be a GM beyond this year, so he’d try to go out with a bang.

(Although I don’t think that’s how he’s thinking, it’s just a possibility)
29 août 2021 à 15 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
A note: I’m pretty sure that Eichel’s new agent, Pat Brisson lives in Québec.
29 août 2021 à 16 h 0
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,491
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
A note: I’m pretty sure that Eichel’s new agent, Pat Brisson lives in Québec.

He's attending a hockey camp
Kotkaniemi15 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 août 2021 à 12 h 20
https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/christian-dvorak-better-than-you

Quick & nice piece on Dvorak.

feel free to share more articles about him or whoever could replace KK
30 août 2021 à 13 h 29
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: pinslack
https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/christian-dvorak-better-than-you

Quick & nice piece on Dvorak.

feel free to share more articles about him or whoever could replace KK

There’s this guy, I think his name is Cape Eagle or something like that, he might be a good option. He’s really young too, just turned 21.
A_Habs_fan et lucal2228 a aimé ceci.
1 sept. 2021 à 11 h 34
was lebronisdagoat
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 265
Only a few days away from the final decision... Do y'all genuinely think KK's getting matched?
1 sept. 2021 à 11 h 43
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,351
Quoting: lucal2228
Only a few days away from the final decision... Do y'all genuinely think KK's getting matched?

unless MB trade for a better C he has to match
lucal2228 et pinslack a aimé ceci.
1 sept. 2021 à 13 h 33
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,269
Quoting: lucal2228

I'm not 100% confident we make the playoffs with or without Kotkaniemi. Drafts in Montreal so give us an extra 1st + 3rd

JFresh's model doesn't have Carolina making the playoffs btw*
lucal2228 a aimé ceci.
1 sept. 2021 à 14 h 20
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I'm not 100% confident we make the playoffs with or without Kotkaniemi. Drafts in Montreal so give us an extra 1st + 3rd

JFresh's model doesn't have Carolina making the playoffs btw*

I don’t see us making the playoffs with Kk, but imo Kk is more valuable than 1st and 3rd and as long as we can sign him for under 6mil after I’d love for him to stay
1 sept. 2021 à 15 h 38
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,269
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I don’t see us making the playoffs with Kk, but imo Kk is more valuable than 1st and 3rd and as long as we can sign him for under 6mil after I’d love for him to stay

Call me crazy, but is Kotkaniemi worth an unprotected 1st + 3rd from a team that's outside looking in? He played 3rd line last year and wasn't anything spectacular (yeah I know he was 20), but he's certainly not worth 6.1 Million and now he can handcuff us by only accepting his QO.
nickthehabsfan a aimé ceci.
1 sept. 2021 à 16 h 51
Yes it will be harder to get into playoffs this year, but it has to be the objective of Bergevin. If Bergevin doesn't feel like he can get a deal done for a center equal or better than KK, he'll match IMO.

But maybe the relationship isnt good and KK isn't happy in MTL. Thats an other thing
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
1 sept. 2021 à 16 h 58
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Call me crazy, but is Kotkaniemi worth an unprotected 1st + 3rd from a team that's outside looking in? He played 3rd line last year and wasn't anything spectacular (yeah I know he was 20), but he's certainly not worth 6.1 Million and now he can handcuff us by only accepting his QO.

Imo Carolina makes the playoffs, though if they're goalies get hurt they're screwed, i think based off 2020 and 2021 playoff Kk you should see his potential, he also had a good 2018-2019 season before ( stats wise ) regressing, i don't see his QA as a handcuff and more as paying for his future stats
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
2 sept. 2021 à 12 h 15
Hop on the Slaftrain
Here's Corey Pronman's Canadiens prospects (or players under 23) ranking -- It ranks 11th out of 32

1. Nick Suzuki, C, Montreal-NHL Tier: Projected bubble All-Star and top of lineup player
2. Cole Caufield, RW, Wisconsin-Big Ten Tier: Projected bubble All-Star and top of lineup player
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Montreal-NHL Tier: Projected bubble top and middle of lineup player
4. Alexander Romanov, LHD, Montreal-NHL Tier: Projected middle of lineup player
5. Kaiden Guhle, LHD, Prince Albert-WHL Tier: Projected middle of lineup player
6. Ryan Poehling, C, Laval-AHL Tier: Projected middle of lineup player
7. Cayden Primeau, G, Laval-AHL Tier: Projected middle of lineup player
8. Dmitri Kostenko, RHD, Togliatti-VHL Tier: Projected to play NHL games
9. Riley Kidney, C, Acadie-Bathurst-QMJHL Tier: Projected to play NHL games
10. Jordan Harris, LHD, Northeastern-Hockey East Tier: Projected to play NHL games
11. Jan Mysak, LW, Laval-AHL Tier: Projected to play NHL games
12. Sean Farrell, LW, Chicago-USHL Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Has a chance to play --
Jesse Ylonen, RW, Laval-AHL
Mattias Norlinder, LHD, Frolunda-SHL
Josh Brook, RHD, Laval-AHL
Oliver Kapanen, C, KalPa-Finland Jr.
Jayden Struble, LHD, Northeastern-Hockey East
Luke Tuch, LW, Boston University-Hockey East
Joshua Roy, RW, Sherbrooke-QMJHL
William Trudeau, LHD, Charlottetown-QMJHL
Xavier Simoneau, C, Drummondville-QMJHL
Logan Mailloux, RHD, London-OHL
Daniil Sobolev, RHD, Windsor-OHL
Jacob Olofsson, C, Timra-Allsvenskan
Rafael Harvey-Pinard, LW, Laval-AHL
2 sept. 2021 à 12 h 20
Quoting: SevenLeg
Here's Corey Pronman's Canadiens prospects (or players under 23) ranking -- It ranks 11th out of 32

1. Nick Suzuki, C, Montreal-NHL Tier: Projected bubble All-Star and top of lineup player
2. Cole Caufield, RW, Wisconsin-Big Ten Tier: Projected bubble All-Star and top of lineup player
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Montreal-NHL Tier: Projected bubble top and middle of lineup player
10. Jordan Harris, LHD, Northeastern-Hockey East Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Has a chance to play --

How is Mailloux/Norlinder that low
2 sept. 2021 à 12 h 29
Hop on the Slaftrain
How is Mailloux/Norlinder that low

I think Mailloux's off-ice story definitely has biased the author, but it's also hard to determine whether or not he has an NHL floor given the small sample size and the fact that he is not participating in the Rookie camp. His shot and size are his best assets, but his skating remains a red flag.

As for Norlinder, he's super dynamic and mobile, but it does not project to translate very well to the NHL. His defensive abilities are inconsistent, so as a small-sized offensive-minded guy, he can only make it to the NHL if his offense translates.
2 sept. 2021 à 17 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: SevenLeg

Has a chance to play --

Wow, he’s really high on Kostenko.
2 sept. 2021 à 17 h 46
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Wow, he’s really high on Kostenko.

Yeah i also really like Kostenko but over Harris??
2 sept. 2021 à 18 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Yeah i also really like Kostenko but over Harris??

And Myšák. Who seems like an extremely safe bet to become an everyday NHLer.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
3 sept. 2021 à 19 h 19
What do we see the forward lines being next season?

I feel like Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield is a lock, then
Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher, Evans had good chemistry with Gally and Hoffman could replicate Tatar's role
Drouin-Kk/Dvorak/someone-Anderson, Dvorak/kk as a 2 way C, Drouin as a playmaker and Anderson as the power forward should be a good line
Lehky-Poehling/Paquette-Armia
3 sept. 2021 à 19 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
What do we see the forward lines being next season?

I feel like Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield is a lock, then
Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher, Evans had good chemistry with Gally and Hoffman could replicate Tatar's role
Drouin-Kk/Dvorak/someone-Anderson, Dvorak/kk as a 2 way C, Drouin as a playmaker and Anderson as the power forward should be a good line
Lehky-Poehling/Paquette-Armia

Suzuki - Caufield seems like a lock.
As does Evans - Gallagher.
And Kotkaniemi - Anderson by the process of elimination.

The 3 LWs I could see ending up on any of the top 3 lines. 4th line is Lehkonen - Poehling - Armia, unless Poehling bombs in camp.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
4 sept. 2021 à 8 h 31
https://twitter.com/MOBeaudoin1/status/1433966758621327362

KK not matched according to this guy (not a journalism, but broke down Domi trade, but also failed on leaking Centre Bell attendance during COVID-playoffs few months ago)

Anyway, we'll know at 5:30pm
4 sept. 2021 à 8 h 39
3 comparable trades for a Dvorak trade =

Sam Reinhart (RFA) = 1st + 7th G prospect (Devon Levi, but he became Canada U20 starter)

Pageau 3.1m x1 (extended) = 1st + 2nd

Miller 5.25m x4 = 1st + 3rd

There was also Trocheck trade not so long ago, but the return isnt something ARI wants (or MTL wants to give)
(Trocheck 4.75m x2 = 3rd liner C + 4th liner C + 2nd pick prospect)
4 sept. 2021 à 8 h 48
Quoting: pinslack
3 comparable trades for a Dvorak trade =

Sam Reinhart (RFA) = 1st + 7th G prospect (Devon Levi, but he became Canada U20 starter)

Pageau 3.1m x1 (extended) = 1st + 2nd

Miller 5.25m x4 = 1st + 3rd

There was also Trocheck trade not so long ago, but the return isnt something ARI wants (or MTL wants to give)
(Trocheck 4.75m x2 = 3rd liner C + 4th liner C + 2nd pick prospect)

I mean Kk picks for Dvorak is the most likely I'd say, Imo Kk is more valuable than Dvorak but 1st and 3rd for Dvorak is fair so it depends on how you would see that trade
pinslack et nickthehabsfan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage