SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

NHL Power Rankings

25 janv. 2021 à 13 h 48
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,293
Quoting: hanson493
buffalo is 2-3-1 in 6 games, -1 point differential but you have them at 7th in monthly and 4th in weekly? in converse NYI are 3-2 and a +1 in point differential you have them at 4th and 3rd. And then you have a team like the bruins who are 3-1-1 +5 in point differential at 14 and 7... Philly is one of the best teams in the league. Tampa at 28th and 27th but are 3-1 with a +5 point differential. Like what? how is a sub 500 team better than any that are above 500 in your standings?

He’s following a mathematical equation so your arguing with the equation

Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Suggestion for next year. Let a week play out or 2 then take a poll on rankings and go with that. Cause your preseason rankings had some teams 2 high or 2 low and that could create a difficiency in how this looks right off the bat.

Montreal deserves to be high. IMHO they have looked to be the best team in the north except for one glaring weakness taking penalties

I agree with the first part of your comment, it should be left to CF or the first week games to decide the first rankings and not his preseason rankings, also yes Montreal has done great but sometimes goaltending leaves a bit to be desired and we need DISCIPLINE
nickthehabsfan et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
25 janv. 2021 à 13 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Wow Montreal is third, Dallas is first because they’ve played 2 games and crushed Nashville 7-0 right ? Also Tampa at 28 I mean sure they beat Chicago who is bad so not many points and they lost to Columbus but that cost them that much, wow

at the time CBJ was last and when you lose to the worst team 5-2 you are going to lose points...
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
25 janv. 2021 à 13 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
He’s following a mathematical equation so your arguing with the equation

I agree with the first part of your comment, it should be left to CF or the first week games to decide the first rankings and not his preseason rankings, also yes Montreal has done great but sometimes goaltending leaves a bit to be desired and we need DISCIPLINE

For the preseason rankings I took an average off rankings I could find from good sources and I also looked at a top 250 players list on nhl.com and teams with more players were ranked higher.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
25 janv. 2021 à 14 h 32
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Quoting: HabsFan77
at the time CBJ was last and when you lose to the worst team 5-2 you are going to lose points...

so then how is pitt 9th now they lost to a good team that you have ranked now as bad. they beat a 2-0 caps team but now that caps team is 3-0-3. wouldnt that discount your original points? pitt then beats the 2nd worst team in the league by 1 goal? and now they are 9th in the rankings? I feel like your system is flawed.
25 janv. 2021 à 14 h 34
Démarrer sujet
so then how is pitt 9th now they lost to a good team that you have ranked now as bad. they beat a 2-0 caps team but now that caps team is 3-0-3. wouldnt that discount your original points? pitt then beats the 2nd worst team in the league by 1 goal? and now they are 9th in the rankings? I feel like your system is flawed.

everything happens at the time but for the monthly rankings it is just past 4 weeks so it will be pretty recent
25 janv. 2021 à 19 h 31
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
For the preseason rankings I took an average off rankings I could find from good sources and I also looked at a top 250 players list on nhl.com and teams with more players were ranked higher.

I think waiting a week would have made this list alot more accurate, cause of the difference of teams that jumped high and other dropped (NJ)
26 janv. 2021 à 8 h 46
I think waiting a week would have made this list alot more accurate, cause of the difference of teams that jumped high and other dropped (NJ)

exactly my point. you cant start off saying NJ is bad discounting a win and making a loss a negative for the bruins and then a week later be like oh man new jersey is one of the better teams on my list because theyre bad and beat a good team. This is why you have initial power rankings and then things change monthly not weekly. to account for that up and down and randomness of who will be competitive and who will flat out stink.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2021 à 10 h 6
Pettersson_40
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 63
Maybe. Its too late to change now, but I am looking forward to the monthly rankings next week

How exactly does the math work?
26 janv. 2021 à 11 h 33
Démarrer sujet
exactly my point. you cant start off saying NJ is bad discounting a win and making a loss a negative for the bruins and then a week later be like oh man new jersey is one of the better teams on my list because theyre bad and beat a good team. This is why you have initial power rankings and then things change monthly not weekly. to account for that up and down and randomness of who will be competitive and who will flat out stink.

for a week I didn't let the results change the rankings, so if TB had lost to CHI they would have lost a lot of points but they would have stayed one and it was like that for the first week.
26 janv. 2021 à 11 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: hockeyman2006
How exactly does the math work?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MBkNaQXRcSZPKoYKuXveXJrUFlbZPpesmv8R6st82ew/edit#gid=1532392718

This is the spreadsheet and the math is the bold stuff on the right
26 janv. 2021 à 14 h 6
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MBkNaQXRcSZPKoYKuXveXJrUFlbZPpesmv8R6st82ew/edit#gid=1532392718

This is the spreadsheet and the math is the bold stuff on the right

I do have some comments on this but I'm a little busy to completely write anything substantial out. The one I'm going to say is that I think the spread of points compared to goal differential is very wide.
BuFfaLOFaN et nickthehabsfan a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2021 à 14 h 34

This is all a test run so it's not a big deal but this is something we learned wouldn't work I guess.
26 janv. 2021 à 15 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: mondo
I do have some comments on this but I'm a little busy to completely write anything substantial out. The one I'm going to say is that I think the spread of points compared to goal differential is very wide.

It doesn't matter to much because it is all a ratio so if it was bigger or smaller nothing would would change except the numbers.
26 janv. 2021 à 15 h 21
This is all a test run so it's not a big deal but this is something we learned wouldn't work I guess.

Its not necessarily about something working or not working. its just not quite logical to do a weekly power rankings based on nothing except teams playing within their own division. you cannot have a team like tampa bay at 28 in the rankings when they are 1st in their division. regardless of who they beat or who they lost to.
26 janv. 2021 à 16 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Its not necessarily about something working or not working. its just not quite logical to do a weekly power rankings based on nothing except teams playing within their own division. you cannot have a team like tampa bay at 28 in the rankings when they are 1st in their division. regardless of who they beat or who they lost to.

it's more for fun but I think it will even out as the season goes on
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
26 janv. 2021 à 19 h 17

Whatever man, you missed the whole entire logic and point of this.
26 janv. 2021 à 21 h 37
Whatever man, you missed the whole entire logic and point of this.

You mean ranking teams with zero basis... yeah i missed this one. Ranking the stanley cup winner at 28 makes sense 2 weeks into the new season where theyre 3-1...
26 janv. 2021 à 22 h 14
You mean ranking teams with zero basis... yeah i missed this one. Ranking the stanley cup winner at 28 makes sense 2 weeks into the new season where theyre 3-1...

There is 0 bias in this rankings that he has done here, it's a formula he's testing and of it balances out then🤷🏼‍♂️...but yea your still missing it like me in the beginning
nickthehabsfan et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
27 janv. 2021 à 8 h 39
There is 0 bias in this rankings that he has done here, it's a formula he's testing and of it balances out then🤷🏼‍♂️...but yea your still missing it like me in the beginning

no i get what hes trying to do. hes trying to put an equation to certain win types vs certain teams and show strength of schedule basically and providing a power rankings off of that. but it doesnt matter what math you do, if tampa is 28 something is wrong.
27 janv. 2021 à 9 h 23
no i get what hes trying to do. hes trying to put an equation to certain win types vs certain teams and show strength of schedule basically and providing a power rankings off of that. but it doesnt matter what math you do, if tampa is 28 something is wrong.

None of tampas wins so far have shown that they are a good team vs good opponents they will jump up when they play good opponents
27 janv. 2021 à 9 h 30
None of tampas wins so far have shown that they are a good team vs good opponents they will jump up when they play good opponents

THEY JUST WON THE STANLEY CUP 3 MONTHS AGO!?! ITS BEEN 4 GAMES. Columbus is a good opponent. chicago is not. What is being dictated as a "good team" and "good opponent" is bias. you cannot simply say the sabres are a good team or a good opponent after watching them play 6 games. you cannot also simply say they are a bad team or a bad opponent. you see what im saying?
27 janv. 2021 à 14 h 1
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
THEY JUST WON THE STANLEY CUP 3 MONTHS AGO!?! ITS BEEN 4 GAMES. Columbus is a good opponent. chicago is not. What is being dictated as a "good team" and "good opponent" is bias. you cannot simply say the sabres are a good team or a good opponent after watching them play 6 games. you cannot also simply say they are a bad team or a bad opponent. you see what im saying?

I don't entirely disagree with you but I'd like to see how the methodology on this pans out over the course of a season. He's essentially multiplying a factor of the game score against the opponents position in the table at the time, which explains why Tampa fell to the bottom after losing by 3 goals to an 0-3 team.

"Columbus is a good opponent" is also biased by your own explanation, fyi.
27 janv. 2021 à 14 h 16
Quoting: mondo
I don't entirely disagree with you but I'd like to see how the methodology on this pans out over the course of a season. He's essentially multiplying a factor of the game score against the opponents position in the table at the time, which explains why Tampa fell to the bottom after losing by 3 goals to an 0-3 team.

"Columbus is a good opponent" is also biased by your own explanation, fyi.

Oh 100% biased but thats kind of my point. its early on in the season you have no idea whos good and whos not so how do you classify a good team or a bad team. i wouldnt call philly a bad team after losing twice to boston. I just think he should kind of hold off on the whole "weekly rankings" for at least the first month until you can see who falls where and then you can adjust the multipliers based on a decent sample size.
1 févr. 2021 à 11 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Here are the Power Rankings after Week #3

Monthly
Best team over the last month:
St. Louis Blues

1. STL
2. WSH
3. BOS
4. MTL