SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Florida Panthers signed Anthony Duclair (1 Year / $1,700,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

17 déc. 2020 à 20 h 9
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: Tarlam01
Was 4x1 if I'm not mistaking

https://www.traderumours.com/Duclair-turned-down-lucrative-offer-to-test-free-agent-market-26763

4.25 * 3.

I was definitely under the impression they were looking for something long term. I'd imagine he'll be kicking himself if he doesn't put up 20 goals again with the Panthers.
Tarlam01 a aimé ceci.
17 déc. 2020 à 20 h 13
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Fizle
17 déc. 2020 à 20 h 15
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,336
Good cheap contract, surprising he didn’t get more and your Hoffman/Dadonov replacement
17 déc. 2020 à 20 h 27
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 5,453
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Duclair is now on his 6th team in 7 seasons. There's something going on with this kid behind the scenes. I suspect he will be on his 7th team by the start of the 2021-22 season.

Maybe even eight if he's traded at the deadline and signs with a new team in the offseason.
capfriendlyaccount et Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
17 déc. 2020 à 21 h 58
Am Yisrael Chai
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,714
He played himself by botching the Ottawa negotiations but don't be surprised if he gets his number after an even better season in Sunrise.
17 déc. 2020 à 22 h 14
GoJetsGo
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 522
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
They didn't trade him at the deadline because at the deadline the world was a completely different place, and they probably had every intention of getting a deal done. Not acknowledging that feels like you're leaving out some significant context.

Also I don't know how you can say they botched the situation. They offered him a deal that would have been fair even pre COVID of 3×4.25, and Duke wanted like 5×5. The options for Ottawa were to cave and hand out a massive contract to a guy who had one goal after the All Star break, go through the ugly Arbitration process and still end up paying well above market value for one year, or to non tender him and circle back once the market sets a price on him. To their credit they did circle back, though I believe Duclair was upset that the original offer was no longer on the table. From the Sens perspective they did right by him, and when they couldn't get a deal done, they spent the money elsewhere, on a much more impactful star in Evgeny Dadonov. I'd rather Dadonov at 3×5 vs Duclair at 3×4.25

Personally I'd have rather they'd circled back harder on Duclair instead of signing Galchenyuk who is just a significantly worse version of Duclair, but things don't always work out. There's only one person "at fault" for how things turned for Duclair and its him. He misread his value substantially, fired his agent and went into the most chaotic free agency in recent memory unprepared.

Wish nothing but the best for Duclair though. He was so much fun when the Sens were just not fun to watch, and had some pretty awesome moments, especially when he dropped a hatty on Torts. Hope he finds a long term home in Florida though, and there’s a good chance he gets to play with Barkov which is definitely a step up from JGP and Chris Tierney lmao.

The Pandemic definitely threw a wrench in it, yeah. I guess at the deadline they were still expecting to keep him but with the financial situation changing like it did they weren't willing to pay him what they originally offered. I still think they at least should have qualified him though. If they end up paying 5x1 in arb then oh well, they can still trade him later on too and get a pretty good return. And they're basically paying Gudbranson 4 mil instead, so it's not like you can say they just weren't willing to spend.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that in general no GM's saw this coming, especially since both Canada and the U.S had cases before the deadline already. You would think there might have been someone who knew it would happen and just liquidated anyone with inflated value (although I guess the Devils kind of did that).
17 déc. 2020 à 23 h 21
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Basically FLA traded Dadonov to OTT for Duclair. Both of them got smaller contracts than expected, but I'd say OTT was the winner here.
17 déc. 2020 à 23 h 55
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Duclair was pretty terrible in the second half of last season. He went last 29 games with only 2 goals. Not good considering he’s pretty one-dimensional. It’s hard to argue with this contract, but I don’t think it’ll be a great fit and the Panthers are gonna struggle again, especially defensively. Good for Duclair for earning a significant raise over last season. He definitely earned it in OTT.
18 déc. 2020 à 0 h 6
I’m reading the posts and I see guys suggesting that Duclair was gonna get multi-years and multi-millions. I’m seeing a lot of you throwing out really big numbers on a longer term deal. I just have absolutely no idea why he would deserve more than $2M AAV, even on a 3 year deal. He’s scored a total of 58 goals in his last 4 seasons while playing on 4 different teams. He was terrible for the last 10 weeks of last season. He’s not particularly good defensively. Why would he get big money? What am I missing here? How do we know that taking a one year deal was his decision?
18 déc. 2020 à 2 h 17
Serf
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,461
Two goals in 26 games after the new year, 29 games if you include the last three games of 2019 where he was also scoreless. That’s good for about four goals if the season is 56 games. At $1.7MM, he can probably get away with six to ten goals in 56 games.

Duclair has played for the Rangers, Coyotes, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, and Senators, and he just turned 25 in August. I hope he does better in Florida, but I’m going to say it’s not a good signing.
18 déc. 2020 à 10 h 42
We are all equal
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 331
Depth that is badly needed for the Panthers on the 2nd/3rd line. Can move him up and down the line up and didn't cost that much and is an RFA after. Very solid signing. Everyone knew he wasn't going to get that 5 million contract he was asking for. Way to fire your agent Anthony!

lol essentially the Panthers and Senators traded Duclair for Dadonov, quite funny to see.
18 déc. 2020 à 10 h 45
Smythe.over.Hart
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,350
Hopefully he pans out to something. Always thought he had great potential. Especially the days of him and Domi together.
18 déc. 2020 à 11 h 20
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: HabsFan9
Phenomenal signing. I totally forgot about Duclair, and it looks like he turned down some enticing offers to try to join a contender. Great safety blanket if Owen Tippet falters

A contender? 😂 Florida missed the playoffs this year and they got even worse in the offseason. Duclair probably didn’t have much of a choice, and went to the place where he could get the most money/opportunity.
weirfanno1, sensibleguy, Brian2016 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2020 à 11 h 38
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,377
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
A contender? 😂 Florida missed the playoffs this year and they got even worse in the offseason. Duclair probably didn’t have much of a choice, and went to the place where he could get the most money/opportunity.

I apologize for lack of clarity. Here's what I meant:

He turned down some enticing offers from some crappy teams like Ottawa to try to see if a contender like Tampa or Colorado would take an interest, but they don't have cap space. So here he is, having just missed out on a good contract with Ottawa. Florida offers him a one year deal, and at this point he's pretty desperate, so he takes it.
18 déc. 2020 à 12 h 25
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 47
Quoting: Brian2016
Why would he get big money? What am I missing here? How do we know that taking a one year deal was his decision?

He thought he would get big money because of the one hot month he had. You're missing that his ego is enormous and he greatly overestimated his own abilities. I assume taking the one-year deal was his own decision as he was acting as his own agent this off-season. Knowing how he turned down a $4.25 x 3 from the Sens in the hopes of someone giving him a $5 x 5 only to get a $1.7 x 1, it would be in his best interest to probably get an agent for next offseason.
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
18 déc. 2020 à 14 h 17
Go Jets Go
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 133
Ummmmmm...

That was not expected. Great value, though
18 déc. 2020 à 14 h 40
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: HabsFan9
I apologize for lack of clarity. Here's what I meant:

He turned down some enticing offers from some crappy teams like Ottawa to try to see if a contender like Tampa or Colorado would take an interest, but they don't have cap space. So here he is, having just missed out on a good contract with Ottawa. Florida offers him a one year deal, and at this point he's pretty desperate, so he takes it.

I see what you mean. Although I don’t think that Duclair’s plan was to be a UFA. He just wanted more money from Ottawa, and I imagine he was pretty surprised when they didn’t qualify him. It obviously hurt him to not get qualified because of the terrible market and the fact that he can’t go to arbitration.
20 déc. 2020 à 19 h 41
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Head case
22 déc. 2020 à 4 h 18
Quoting: coga16
it was still mind boggling he was asking for 5m aav based on only one month of non sustainable goal production which he quickly feel down to earth after that. 12 goals in the month of December followed up with what, 2 or 3 until the league shut down....not shocking he had to settle for less

Yup. I think he scored 2G in last 29 games to close out the season. Not good.
22 déc. 2020 à 4 h 25
I have to wonder if that OTT contract was ever real. Maybe Duclair leaked it in an attempt to improve his bargaining position. Clearly, he never intended to re-sign with the Sens. Who would ever turn down $4.25M AVV? Especially after playing like an AHL'er over the last 30 games despite playing big minutes on a poor offensive team. My guess is that OTT offered $3M x 3 years, or something in that ballpark.
24 déc. 2020 à 10 h 10
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
amazing signing

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage