SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

My Hot Take On The Leafs This Season

11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 34
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,085
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
Well said, last year we expected a lot of players to perform better than they actually did. Not to mention last year the Leafs had 27th best save percentage after Keefe took over despite generating average defensive results. It’s definitely possible that this season something similar happens but it seems on paper the new additions seem to be better fits than the guys they had last year.

i just think if andersen has a bounceback and if we can get a backup goalie that posts above an .900sv% we can be solid.

People arguing simmonds is washed up forget that they were watching an injured simmonds playing 15 minutes a night at $5M AAV trying to score 20-30+ goals. For us he's literally a 4th liner, prob plays 11-12 minutes a night. and I also think the leafs medical staff has the potential to work wonders with him. I was reading the other day how spezza has said that he's actually able to do sprints again, and that the leafs sports science team basically rejuvinated him and helped him achieve things he thought he'd never do again. We did it with ennis, we're doing it with spezza, maybe simmonds can be a home run as well

thornton has 5g 11p in 10gp in switzerland right now - he can definitely still play hockey, esp if he's a 3C with limited minutes, sharing that role with kerfoot or engvall

vesey legit I think is scoring 20 goals this year, idc what people say, he played on some offensively destitute teams and produced 15-17 goals. he was also one of like 3-4 players that weren't minuses on buffalo this year, scoring 9 goals with literally no powerplay time. give him the odd shift with matthews, stick him on PP2 with thornton and lehtonen and I think he does it.

I could be very wrong, and we'll see, but I am quite optimistic
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 37
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
I thought Barrie was the answer after giving away Kadri for free. Worst trade in Leafs history

EZp3trWXQAEUD6N.jpg
Ritzy, mondo et Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Quoting: CheechYou
The glaring weakness I see is their winger depth at the bottom line levels. I think a lot of how TOR does in that department rests on how guys like Barabanov and Vesey perform alonside Kerfoot and even Jumbo. I like Simmonds but ideally I'd have him on the bottom line, scratch Spezza, and Kapanen back there at 3RW but that cap space would had to have come out of thin air.

I (obv) love Jumbo at 4C but if TOR's got serious cup aspirations, they need to have good production ala players in the 2.5-4.5mil cap range from their league minimum signings on the bottom lines, which I think is a tall order but possible.

Yeah I definitely think their bottom 6 is questionable in terms of offensive contributions. We know the guys like Simmonds, Spezza & Thornton have been productive players in the past, maybe in a limited role against extremely easy competition & PP time they’ll be able to deliver 25-30 points.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 43
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,582
Modifié 11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 55
I tend to agree with you. My biggest concerns for the Leafs going forward are still A.) toughness (mental and physical) and B.) Depth.

I don't think the Leafs need to have a Maroon or Reaves or etc... I think they need guys like Tavares/Marner/Nylander to step up in the playoffs. Your top guys need to be willing to block shots, be heavy on the forecheck, and most of all put in more EFFORT on the backcheck. Columbus was a FAR less talented team, but they out worked the Leafs.

To me, Depth is a huge issue for this team. It's not even that the Leafs don't have depth. It's that they choose not to use it. The Leafs can't ride Freddie as hard as they did last year. I know he had a lot of rest between the stoppage and the playoffs, but this upcoming season will be crammed together. For Leafs fans...I hope upper management forces "load management" onto the coaching staff. Get Campbell or Hutch/Dell some games. IMO they're the same as Campbell. Make sure Freddie is fresh for the playoffs. Also, for all the injuries the Leafs had last year...they couldn't find just one single game to call Bracco up?!?! He's 23 with zero NHL games. Just try him out. Give another winger some rest.

***EDIT*** I guess my summary is that this team is still built for the regular season vs the playoffs.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: RussianRangers9
i agree with you. only thing i see is goaltending. sorry to say but freddie isnt the best

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah Andersen was definitely disappointing last season.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 47
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
I'm cautiously optimistic almost every year. I try not to get too excited.

I agree with pretty well everything you said, aside from the fact that this would be their only year to compete. I think there will always cheap depth players that can provide needs to their areas of weakness regardless if the cap goes up or not. Our upcoming RFAs that will need contracts (Sandin, Lily, Dermott if Seattle doesn't take him) won't need massive pay increases because they haven't had enough ice time to have any leverage in contract negotiation. The Leafs will be fine in terms of cap for a few years.

I don't have a lot to add to what you've stated, we'll see how it goes.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 48
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 58
What'd you guys think of my analysis on the Leafs? What points do you agree or disagree with?

What'd you guys think of my analysis on the Leafs? What points do you agree or disagree with?

I have been saying this for the last three years and I still believe it is relevant today: Leafs need to win NOW.

Not to suggest that the Leafs have an aging core, ticking away at their strengths, they're not old. The four elite players are all at great ages. Though with nearly 40m in four players, plus being in a Toronto market, you can't expect these elite guys to continue to 'trust the process' at this point in their careers. So, in conclusion to that point, the hourglass is filling as seasons go by without playoff success; Marner or someone else will HAVE to be moved. Which would only set TOR back.

In my opinion, Dubas did a very moderate job at improving the D. Yes, on paper and most likely on the ice, this d-core SHOULD be better than last season, but at the competition level the Leafs are at now, the d-core needs more. I bet it wasn't Dubas' first choice, but Brodie isn't the guy who is going to reset the entire narrative of the Leaf's D-core. Leafs need someone strong, trustworthy, and defensively sound. Reilly is what I like to call sub-elite, a top 25 defenseman in the league no doubt. Plus, you got a rising star in Sandin. What is in common between the two? Both severly offensive. Reilly is not Karlsson offensive, where the two-way play in miniscule, but rather offensively minded. You need to supply him with a Weber type guy; a Pulock, Ristolainen, Parayko, etc. A slower, simpler defenseman with no risk.

One thing a lot of Leaf fans are failing to address is the possibility that Simmonds sucks, Thornton is washed up, Bogosian is useless at the NHL level, Spezza's time has finally ran out, and Vesey is equally disappointing as he was in NY. These aspects COULD WEIGH THE SUCCESS OF THE TEAM DOWN. Though, luckily for Leaf fans, there's some decent NHL level depth with the addition of fairly exceptional AHL depth. Barabanov is looking like a solid bottom 6 guy (for this season and next, could be top 9/top 6 guy one day), and he is just one of the fairly unnoticed AHL guys who could really support this Leafs team effectively.

If I was Dubas, depending on the first month and half of hockey, depending on the teams performance I would be actively shopping Marner and Nylander to get a proven RHD, or at least a prospect and many picks. I would commit to the development of Mac Hollowell because he is a small, puck-moving RHD who isn't rough and tough but extremely trustworthy with the puck on his stick along with decent-to-immense offensive upside (VERY dependant on rate of development). I would see what I could do to move Tavares if they can't make it first round, what a terrible signing.
truculence67 a aimé ceci.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
i just think if andersen has a bounceback and if we can get a backup goalie that posts above an .900sv% we can be solid.

People arguing simmonds is washed up forget that they were watching an injured simmonds playing 15 minutes a night at $5M AAV trying to score 20-30+ goals. For us he's literally a 4th liner, prob plays 11-12 minutes a night. and I also think the leafs medical staff has the potential to work wonders with him. I was reading the other day how spezza has said that he's actually able to do sprints again, and that the leafs sports science team basically rejuvinated him and helped him achieve things he thought he'd never do again. We did it with ennis, we're doing it with spezza, maybe simmonds can be a home run as well

thornton has 5g 11p in 10gp in switzerland right now - he can definitely still play hockey, esp if he's a 3C with limited minutes, sharing that role with kerfoot or engvall

vesey legit I think is scoring 20 goals this year, idc what people say, he played on some offensively destitute teams and produced 15-17 goals. he was also one of like 3-4 players that weren't minuses on buffalo this year, scoring 9 goals with literally no powerplay time. give him the odd shift with matthews, stick him on PP2 with thornton and lehtonen and I think he does it.

Damn I had no idea that the Leafs’ science team was that good. If that’s the case, I definitely think they can get rejuvenate Simmonds a little bit & turn him into that nasty intimidating bottom 6 Forward. I agree with you on Thornton.

I heard Vesey & Kerfoot had really good chemistry at Harvard, so maybe they will play together at the start of the season. I’m definitely interested in seeing Vesey play on the wing with Matthews. He’s a big guy, has decent possession metrics on a bad Buffalo team & can win puck battles in the dirty areas. Maybe in a top 6 role he’ll be a bigger poorer version of Hyman.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: exo2769
I tend to agree with you. My biggest concerns for the Leafs going forward are still A.) toughness (mental and physical) and B.) Depth.

I don't think the Leafs need to have a Maroon or Reaves or etc... I think they need guys like Tavares/Marner/Nylander to step up in the playoffs. Your top guys need to be willing to block shots, be heavy on the forecheck, and most of all put in more EFFORT on the backcheck. Columbus was a FAR less talented team, but they out worked the Leafs.

To me, Depth is a huge issue for this team. It's not even that the Leafs don't have depth. It's that they choose not to use it. The Leafs can't ride Freddie as hard as they did last year. I know he had a lot of rest between the stoppage and the playoffs, but this upcoming season will be crammed together. For Leafs fans...I hope upper management forces "load management" onto the coaching staff. Get Campbell or Hutch/Dell some games. IMO they're the same as Campbell. Make sure Freddie is fresh for the playoffs. Also, for all the injuries the Leafs had last year...they couldn't find just one single game to call Bracco up?!?! He's 23 with zero NHL games. Just try him out. Give another winger some rest.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it’s too much to ask for guys like Tavares, Marner & Nylander to go to the dirty areas, win puck battles & backcheck. As skilled as they are, they are too lazy & one dimensional to change. That’s why the GM brought in guys like Hyman, Mikheyev, Barabanov, Engvall, Vesey, Anderson, Simmonds & Thornton. All those guys are feisty & hardworking, maybe they’ll set an example for the stars. I would’ve loved to get Maroon. I really wanted the Leafs to sign him, Clifford & Martin.

I agree with your take on Andersen.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Ritzy
I'm cautiously optimistic almost every year. I try not to get too excited.

I agree with pretty well everything you said, aside from the fact that this would be their only year to compete. I think there will always cheap depth players that can provide needs to their areas of weakness regardless if the cap goes up or not. Our upcoming RFAs that will need contracts (Sandin, Lily, Dermott if Seattle doesn't take him) won't need massive pay increases because they haven't had enough ice time to have any leverage in contract negotiation. The Leafs will be fine in terms of cap for a few years.

I don't have a lot to add to what you've stated, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the team does have a pretty solid prospect pool. Maybe they’ll bring value to the team in a couple of years as they need to resign guys like Rielly.
11 déc. 2020 à 14 h 58
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 58

Not much I can disagree with here. You can't dismiss Simmonds and Thornton when they were both in bad situations in terms of production. No place to explode at this point of their careers. If they suck, thats bad news for the Leafs.

Interesting take on Vesey, I'd love to see Vesey explode and take Kerfoot's LW spot, then move Kerfoot for picks somewhere.
Faulk_my_Dzingel et chungus a aimé ceci.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 1
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,582
Thanks for the feedback. I think it’s too much to ask for guys like Tavares, Marner & Nylander to go to the dirty areas, win puck battles & backcheck. As skilled as they are, they are too lazy & one dimensional to change. That’s why the GM brought in guys like Hyman, Mikheyev, Barabanov, Engvall, Vesey, Anderson, Simmonds & Thornton. All those guys are feisty & hardworking, maybe they’ll set an example for the stars. I would’ve loved to get Maroon. I really wanted the Leafs to sign him, Clifford & Martin.

I agree with your take on Andersen.

Good thoughts. I made an edit right before I saw your post. And I think they're the same thing, just said in different ways. It's hard for me to imagine TOR ever winning a cup if a guy like Tavares isn't willing to go to the dirty areas and sacrifice himself. Toews/Bergeron/Marchand/ROR/Ovi are all more than willing to do these things. Kane won't. Kuch/Stamkos won't, but to have (3) guys that won't play...playoff hockey...is tough to overcome. I'd say two guys is tough to overcome, but TBL just had an insane amount of talent.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: RomanovTheAnswer
I have been saying this for the last three years and I still believe it is relevant today: Leafs need to win NOW.

Not to suggest that the Leafs have an aging core, ticking away at their strengths, they're not old. The four elite players are all at great ages. Though with nearly 40m in four players, plus being in a Toronto market, you can't expect these elite guys to continue to 'trust the process' at this point in their careers. So, in conclusion to that point, the hourglass is filling as seasons go by without playoff success; Marner or someone else will HAVE to be moved. Which would only set TOR back.

In my opinion, Dubas did a very moderate job at improving the D. Yes, on paper and most likely on the ice, this d-core SHOULD be better than last season, but at the competition level the Leafs are at now, the d-core needs more. I bet it wasn't Dubas' first choice, but Brodie isn't the guy who is going to reset the entire narrative of the Leaf's D-core. Leafs need someone strong, trustworthy, and defensively sound. Reilly is what I like to call sub-elite, a top 25 defenseman in the league no doubt. Plus, you got a rising star in Sandin. What is in common between the two? Both severly offensive. Reilly is not Karlsson offensive, where the two-way play in miniscule, but rather offensively minded. You need to supply him with a Weber type guy; a Pulock, Ristolainen, Parayko, etc. A slower, simpler defenseman with no risk.

One thing a lot of Leaf fans are failing to address is the possibility that Simmonds sucks, Thornton is washed up, Bogosian is useless at the NHL level, Spezza's time has finally ran out, and Vesey is equally disappointing as he was in NY. These aspects COULD WEIGH THE SUCCESS OF THE TEAM DOWN. Though, luckily for Leaf fans, there's some decent NHL level depth with the addition of fairly exceptional AHL depth. Barabanov is looking like a solid bottom 6 guy (for this season and next, could be top 9/top 6 guy one day), and he is just one of the fairly unnoticed AHL guys who could really support this Leafs team effectively.

If I was Dubas, depending on the first month and half of hockey, depending on the teams performance I would be actively shopping Marner and Nylander to get a proven RHD, or at least a prospect and many picks. I would commit to the development of Mac Hollowell because he is a small, puck-moving RHD who isn't rough and tough but extremely trustworthy with the puck on his stick along with decent-to-immense offensive upside (VERY dependant on rate of development). I would see what I could do to move Tavares if they can't make it first round, what a terrible signing.

Thanks for the feedback, all good points. I do think that even if the team fails to win the cup, they have to at least win a couple of rounds. That way the core will be motivated to keep playing together.

Brodie is a decent 2 way defenceman but you are right, he processes the game a little too carelessly at times especially when he has the puck. I’m surprised they didn’t offer sheet Pulock considering he only signed for the same amount as TJ.

I definitely think it’s fair to be skeptical of the depth pieces. Most of those guys are old, others unproven. There’s no guarantee that they will be a good fit. I guess we’ll have to find out soon.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 24
Smythe.over.Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
I mean we’re leaf fans right? We will always look forward to next year...

That being said. The forward core got tougher. Dumping Johnsson was good decision in my mind. Kapanen will do well in Pittsburgh IMO especially if he plays with Malkin. If that happens it will look like a bad trade, but we still won it guaranteed. Kerfoot is better than everyone gives him credit. He will be an excellent 3C/2LW depending on the opponent.

The defence is better. Simply put. Barrie to Brodie, upgrade. Ceci to Bogosion, upgrade. Sandin step forward. Lehtonen being something. Dermott recognizing he has to try. These are all major steps forward.

Campbell as the back up is a great move. I hope he can play 25+ games. Freddy is the wildcard in all of this. Can he play like we all know he can? Or does he have a Bernier like season like he did last year.

So to answer your question. The leafs will be a competitive team, possibly a contending team if:
1) Andersen dials in but gets some rest from Campbell
2) Nylander puts his stick blade on the ice
3) The Forwards play defence.
truculence67 a aimé ceci.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 35
Smythe.over.Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 2,348
Also I still wish we had Connor Brown
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: exo2769
Good thoughts. I made an edit right before I saw your post. And I think they're the same thing, just said in different ways. It's hard for me to imagine TOR ever winning a cup if a guy like Tavares isn't willing to go to the dirty areas and sacrifice himself. Toews/Bergeron/Marchand/ROR/Ovi are all more than willing to do these things. Kane won't. Kuch/Stamkos won't, but to have (3) guys that won't play...playoff hockey...is tough to overcome. I'd say two guys is tough to overcome, but TBL just had an insane amount of talent.

Yes I agree, it’s difficult to win when your top players are not buying in to the playoff style. I don’t think Tavares needs to play that way though, cuz according to @Lyle_Bubas, he led the playoffs in iXG/60 over the past 2 playoffs. He is effective even if he doesn’t defend or forecheck. However, if the team struggles again, I’d look at trading Marner & Nylander while bringing in some tough hardworking elite forwards like Pacioretty & Hall.
exo2769 et chungus a aimé ceci.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
I mean we’re leaf fans right? We will always look forward to next year...

That being said. The forward core got tougher. Dumping Johnsson was good decision in my mind. Kapanen will do well in Pittsburgh IMO especially if he plays with Malkin. If that happens it will look like a bad trade, but we still won it guaranteed. Kerfoot is better than everyone gives him credit. He will be an excellent 3C/2LW depending on the opponent.

The defence is better. Simply put. Barrie to Brodie, upgrade. Ceci to Bogosion, upgrade. Sandin step forward. Lehtonen being something. Dermott recognizing he has to try. These are all major steps forward.

Campbell as the back up is a great move. I hope he can play 25+ games. Freddy is the wildcard in all of this. Can he play like we all know he can? Or does he have a Bernier like season like he did last year.

So to answer your question. The leafs will be a competitive team, possibly a contending team if:
1) Andersen dials in but gets some rest from Campbell
2) Nylander puts his stick blade on the ice
3) The Forwards play defence.

Yes I agree with all your points. On paper, this is a much improved team. Now the question is, will they perform? Nobody knows but from what we’ve seen this core group has always given an inconsistent effort.
11 déc. 2020 à 15 h 57
Yes I agree, it’s difficult to win when your top players are not buying in to the playoff style. I don’t think Tavares needs to play that way though, cuz according to @Lyle_Bubas, he led the playoffs in iXG/60 over the past 2 playoffs. He is effective even if he doesn’t defend or forecheck. However, if the team struggles again, I’d look at trading Marner & Nylander while bringing in some tough hardworking elite forwards like Pacioretty & Hall.

76a9cbc3bb2660b1d9d58c040a61fe0b.png

3rd among all players since he joined the team. it shows, he was absolutely our best player. I see him having conn smythe level performance in years to come - the guy basically just got unlucky. Every shift was high danger chance after post after blocked shot after dangerous pass etc. etc.

also lol at kadri being #2, prior to this year he was #115th on his career. Simply put, even when he was on the ice for us (when he wasn't suspended) he wasn't some god-tier level playoff performer.
11 déc. 2020 à 16 h 36
The commissioner
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 105
Personally I would not say marner himself is a cancer I would say the people around him are such as his agent and dad. His teammates seems to love him as a person. As for the 21 man roster problem they are almost 100% getting taxi squad so I think that will fix that problem and give them more options. I agree with the rest of what you say
11 déc. 2020 à 17 h 48
Leafs fan...sorry
Mentions "j'aime": 222

Calling Marner cancerous is laughable at best, he's well beloved around the dressing room, and i'd like to know what "antics" you're talking about, other than trying to make as much money as possible. I agree he wasn't at his best this past season, but you'll remember that the team brought him along on a road trip despite the fact that he was injured because he brings guys together in the dressing room. seems to me that you're constantly being blinded by his contract. If you look past that, he's a fantastic player who brings a ton of value on and of the ice.
chungus a aimé ceci.
12 déc. 2020 à 11 h 39
Mentions "j'aime": 249
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
I thought Barrie was the answer after giving away Kadri for free. Worst trade in Leafs history

andrew raycroft for tuuka rask
DartGuy86 et Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
12 déc. 2020 à 11 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Banni
76a9cbc3bb2660b1d9d58c040a61fe0b.png

3rd among all players since he joined the team. it shows, he was absolutely our best player. I see him having conn smythe level performance in years to come - the guy basically just got unlucky. Every shift was high danger chance after post after blocked shot after dangerous pass etc. etc.

also lol at kadri being #2, prior to this year he was #115th on his career. Simply put, even when he was on the ice for us (when he wasn't suspended) he wasn't some god-tier level playoff performer.

Thanks for correcting me. Yeah, Tavares has definitely been noticeable these 2 playoffs & generated a ton of chances. He shut down the Bergeron line at even strength last year too which is even more impressive. There is no regrets signing him at all.

You are right about Kadri. He’s only had 1 good playoff run. And boy it looks like RNH has finally established himself as a high profile player now that he’s on Drai’s LW.
chungus a aimé ceci.
12 déc. 2020 à 12 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Jameshgfgn
Personally I would not say marner himself is a cancer I would say the people around him are such as his agent and dad. His teammates seems to love him as a person. As for the 21 man roster problem they are almost 100% getting taxi squad so I think that will fix that problem and give them more options. I agree with the rest of what you say

That’s fair, I definitely agree that Marner’s dad has hindered his reputation.
12 déc. 2020 à 12 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: KileDoobis
Calling Marner cancerous is laughable at best, he's well beloved around the dressing room, and i'd like to know what "antics" you're talking about, other than trying to make as much money as possible. I agree he wasn't at his best this past season, but you'll remember that the team brought him along on a road trip despite the fact that he was injured because he brings guys together in the dressing room. seems to me that you're constantly being blinded by his contract. If you look past that, he's a fantastic player who brings a ton of value on and of the ice.

I didn’t know that Marner joined the team to give his teammates a lift during his injury. Maybe he’s a great guy off the ice, but from watching him play, he seems pretty cancerous. Too often he just floats around and turns the puck over carelessly.
chungus a aimé ceci.
12 déc. 2020 à 13 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Banni
A lot of people say that the Blue Jackets heavily outplayed and outworked the Leafs in last season’s best of 5 series. Do you guys agree with that?

Honestly I felt the Leafs were in control of the play for much of the series. They had way more offensive zone time, shot attempts & scoring chances. While they do have a fair share of lazy players (Marner, Nylander & sometimes Kapanen), they still seemed to be on the ice for more chances than against.

The reason why the Leafs lost in my opinion was rather due to their inability to defend off the rush & poor shooting accuracy. I feel with an improved defence & possibly a better season from Marner, they will be in a better circumstance.
chungus et Faulk_my_Dzingel a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage