Forums/Armchair-GM

You Leafs Fans Dont Understand

Créé par: Pond_Duck
Équipe: 2020-21 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 8 déc. 2020
Publié: 9 déc. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I see leafs fans posting saying that the cap trouble that they have gotten in is the fault of people like Nylander or Kerfoot or even Anderson, and really it is the fact that you are paying Tavares especially 11 million per to be a second line center. Imagine without Tavares you could have repleaced him with better depth and someone like Kadri, it would look like this. (I know leafs fans will not be happy so feel free to roast me in the comments) Also let me know if you think this team is better than the one with Tavares.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
UFAANSCAP HIT
15 000 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Miller, K'Andre
  2. Zibanejad, Mika
  3. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (NYR)
  4. Choix de 2e ronde en 2022 (NYR)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $80 321 408 $0 $300 000 $1 178 592 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 4
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 5
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
Logo de Rangers de New York
5 350 000 $5 350 000 $
C
NMC
UFA - 2
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 4
1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 3
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AD, AG
NTC
UFA - 1
821 667 $821 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 4
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NMC
UFA - 4
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 4
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 2
874 125 $874 125 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
Logo de Rangers de New York
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance300 000 $$300K)
DG
RFA - 3
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 39
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
Here we go again *rolls eyes*

I'm not a Hoffman fan at all, so I think this is much worse.

As a Leafs fan I don't believe that the cap crunch has anything to do with any of the big 4. The contracts only look as troubling as they do because of the flat cap which nobody could have predicted. With Seattle expansion coming and additional league revenues, all of those contracts would look somewhat better than they do now. As someone who struggled cheering for the team through the Jason Blake days, I'm content with having superstars on the team and exciting hockey to watch. Who knows where the young kids development would be without Tavares leadership. I think he's worth every penny.

Quoting: Trevorchef
And, to be completely honest... I think a lot of Leaf fans understand the situation a great deal better than you based on the scheme you've cooked up here.

Quoting: Barilko14
The cap trouble they are in is related to a global pandemic. The same thing happening to 10-15 other teams in the league.

What does that trade have to do with anything?

Quoting: Laquille
When you have a chance to sign a John Tavares type of player, hometown boy and leadership presence for the young guns, you do it.

When sign, I don't remember any hockey insider saying the Leafs shouldn't have done that.

Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
This is pretty rough all the way around.

Quoting: Saskleaf
People who think the leafs are in cap trouble are being pessimistic for the sake of it. The lightning, isles, caps, etc are in a worse position.

But as for your trade, if the leafs could (they can't because of Tavares' NMC) they would. Even Zibanejad strait up for Tavares is a win for the leafs (cap reasons).

Also, if you think the entirety of leafs fans like Tavares on the leafs, you are wrong. Many of them think we shouldn't have signed him, an irrational argument.

Quoting: Ritzy
This again?

This is exhausting. Tavares and his cap hit, are more than welcome in Toronto. Your trade proposal shows how much you understand.

All great points. Honestly I will never understand the the people who insist that the Leafs should’ve used the cap space to sign depth pieces instead of Tavares. You never bring in depth players at the expense of a franchise center. Depth players come and go but players of Tavares’ caliber are extremely rare.
GenXHockey et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 42
Save Ukrane, end war
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 783
Quoting: vr1995
hoffmann is overrated and his gf is a psyhcopath that borke up a team, not signing tavares is different from having zibinajed miller and high picks instead of tavares, that being said if tavares was willing to meet with every team then every team would have met with him, end of story, any leaf fan that says they didnt like the signing from the beginning is an outright liar and was jumping for joy that day

I jumped for joy! all of my 1.75" verticle!
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 44
Banni
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,154
When did Hall become a 200 foot player?

taylor hall could very well be the most overrated player in the nhl
Pond_Duck a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 45
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
When did Hall become a 200 foot player?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/hbanalytics#!/vizhome/NHLHistoricalPlayerCards2007-19/PlayerCards

Check Hall’s player cards from 2015-2019. He ranked in the top 30-40% of the league in preventing shot attempts & chances. Ranked in the top 5% in individual scoring chances generated. Considering he played on a terrible Devils team with Zajac as his C, he was unbelievable.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 46
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
https://public.tableau.com/profile/hbanalytics#!/vizhome/NHLHistoricalPlayerCards2007-19/PlayerCards

Check Hall’s player cards from 2015-2019. He ranked in the top 30-40% of the league in preventing shot attempts & chances. Ranked in the top 5% in individual scoring chances generated. Considering he played on a terrible Devils team with Zajac as his C, he was unbelievable.

Fair enough, I don't pay attention to analytics like this. I'm more old school, I judge on what I see as the game is going on.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 48
In Pridham we trust
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,969
All great points. Honestly I will never understand the the people who insist that the Leafs should’ve used the cap space to sign depth pieces instead of Tavares. You never bring in depth players at the expense of a franchise center. Depth players come and go but players of Tavares’ caliber are extremely rare.

It also overlooks the fact that with the big 4 all making their big $$ last year, the Leafs still had 3 of the following 4 (Kerfoot, Kappy, Mikheyev, Johnsson) on their 3rd line when everyone was healthy (which never actually happened). Not like the Leafs were in a Penguins situation playing an AHLer with Crosby after 1 injury. Leafs had/have depth. They also spent $$ on their defence (Barrie experiment failed).
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 49
Serf
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,461
Why does everyone who trades Marner or Tavares for cap space insist on the Leafs signing Hoffman? The guy is a one dimensional player who only scores on the PP. If anything, the Leafs will wait a year & sign Taylor Hall who is miles better.

Although I agree with you that Hoffman is one dimensional, it isn't PP, it's scoring. Hoffman has played in every FLA game over the last two seasons, and has 65 goals in 151 games, and would have easily passed the 30 goal mark if the season hadn't been cut short.

Of those 65 goals, 28 were PP goals, and 37 were even strength goals. 37 EV goals in 151 games can be prorated to 40.2 goals, so he's basically a 20 goal scorer before stepping on the ice for the PP. He's fast, can cut back well after carrying the puck into the offensive zone, which he does often, and has a wicked shot.

I wouldn't want him on my team either, but it's not for his lack of on ice skills.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 50
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
thanks for the unique and fresh discussion. see you all next week.
Saskleaf et DartGuy86 a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 11 h 58
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
Quoting: palhal
No, Duck Pond, I don't think you understand. Paying Tavares 11m....and getting him for free wasn't a mistake. It was overpaying the three RFAs a total of 4.5m which was the mistake. Leafs had control over those players and had no reason to pay them "hometown premium".
Don't know why you say Tavares is a second line centre. The use of both the top lines and PP usage, makes Tavares and Matthews equal centres.
Seems like most teams, most good teams and even some bad teams are having cap problems. The NHL announced that expected cap for 2020/21 was to be about 86m. Covid has changed some many issues with virtually all teams.
By the way, the trade you propose is rather unpractical. Rangers have big cap issues also and couldn't handle a rise a 5.5m cap hit either.
The Ducks shouldn't telling Leafs how to spend their cap. 8.25m Getzalk a 50 point guy on a 82 game schedule and a buyout of Perry of 6.6m. That's 15m in wasted cap.

I agree with everything you said here, but please don't group this guy with the rest of us Ducks fans...his profile says he's an Avs/Bolts fan...Ducks fans are out here saying "Tavares signing was smart", not wasting our breath trying to troll Leafs fans with crap that your own fan base posts here 10 times a day.
Pond_Duck et DartGuy86 a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Mentions "j'aime": 852
Quoting: Lenny7
I agree with everything you said here, but please don't group this guy with the rest of us Ducks fans...his profile says he's an Avs/Bolts fan...Ducks fans are out here saying "Tavares signing was smart", not wasting our breath trying to troll Leafs fans with crap that your own fan base posts here 10 times a day.

Well....damn
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 10
Kakko Redemption Szn
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 102
No offence, but Mika isn’t anywhere near Tavares‘ level as a player. Only decency bias will favour Mika because of Tavares’ down year but Tavares averaged 35 goals and 78 points every 82 games for the Islanders. Considering he played with weak linemates like Moulson & Okposo, that is extremely impressive. Zibanejad hasn’t played with elite wingers either but his career average is 60 points per 82 games. Tell me who’s better?

Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Read the description, its not about the trade value

I wouldn't go as far to say Mika is a better player than Tavares right now, but it is much closer than you think. Career points/season isn't as impressive to me because Zibanejad is just entering his prime. this season Mika had 41/34/75 in 57 games. Tavares's best year (2018/19) was 47/41/88 in 82 games. Again, I still wouldn't say Mika is definitely better right now, but it's a lot closer than you guys are making it seem. Mika is definitely not a 2C player. He can play 2C on a stacked team, but he is a top line center for sure. Mika went from 74 points in 82 games two years ago to 75 points in 57 games last year. That "averaging 60 points in 82 games" is kinda a bogus stat. Yea he might not be a top 10 pick that comes into the league on fire, but he is growing into an elite center
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 12
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 757
Sorry I don't understand that logic. Leafs had cap space and more to sign Tavares. Wasting 4.5m unnecessarily on the RFAs was the mistake.

just because they had cap space doesn't mean they should have signed him.
too many cooks in the kitchen, not enough servers.

logic behind my statement is that just because a team can sign someone doesn't mean they should. imagine having $11M in cap space right now, with that cap space and assets, the Leaf's blueline would be a lot more attractive than it is. not signing JT would have allowed the team to build a contender long term, not just a regular season powerhouse.

but seeing how much TML fans cream themselves over having him, logic will never prevail.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 13
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,539
Quoting: irishbreadman
I wouldn't go as far to say Mika is a better player than Tavares right now, but it is much closer than you think. Career points/season isn't as impressive to me because Zibanejad is just entering his prime. this season Mika had 41/34/75 in 57 games. Tavares's best year (2018/19) was 47/41/88 in 82 games. Again, I still wouldn't say Mika is definitely better right now, but it's a lot closer than you guys are making it seem. Mika is definitely not a 2C player. He can play 2C on a stacked team, but he is a top line center for sure. Mika went from 74 points in 82 games two years ago to 75 points in 57 games last year. That "averaging 60 points in 82 games" is kinda a bogus stat. Yea he might not be a top 10 pick that comes into the league on fire, but he is growing into an elite center

I want you to reread my post
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 14
Kakko Redemption Szn
Mentions "j'aime": 102
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I want you to reread my post

again, my gripe isn't with the trade value, it's valuing Zibanejad as a 2C to play under Matthews. he says get a 2C like Kadri and then puts in Zibanejad. trade value aside, he's not
Pond_Duck a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 14
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 757
Quoting: Hidalgo
“You guys don’t understand, let me just take Tavares out and swap him with one of the best centres in the league who’s on a sweetheart deal”

This doesn’t look good when you consider the options available. Again, if you look at the options available, having Tavares makes all the sense in the world. Kadri just wasn’t cutting it for TO, and if Dubas passed on Tavares and kept Kadri we’d all be rioting. But hindsight is everyone’s best friend now that a global pandemic has made everything tight

pretty delusional to think an NHL GM makes his decisions based on a fanbase...
Pond_Duck a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 15
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,539
Quoting: irishbreadman
again, my gripe isn't with the trade value, it's valuing Zibanejad as a 2C to play under Matthews. he says get a 2C like Kadri and then puts in Zibanejad. trade value aside, he's not

Its about Zibanjad's cap hit... + the other assets you can get with the cap space
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 17
Lenny7
Quoting: Pond_Duck
Well....damn

There's really no good argument for anyone to say "Tavares was a bad signing".

-Kadri was going to be moved. Everyone can sit here with a happy pop in their hands and say "Man, Kadri was really good, trading him was dumb", but the second consecutive suspension in the playoffs (plus the "just fair" offensive season that he was coming off of) had media and a large portion of the fan base looking to push him out.
-No one could have predicted that Pietro was going to be a UFA. The Blues had plenty of cap space left until Doug Armstrong went out and (foolishly) traded for Justin Faulk.
-What other "Depth signings" would have made this team better? A team full of Alex Kerfoot's? Their biggest need has been a top pairing RD...They went out and got one in Brodie.
GenXHockey et Ritzy a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 22
Lenny7
Quoting: Mike_Gartner
pretty delusional to think an NHL GM makes his decisions based on a fanbase...

I think you're semi-right, but how many coaches/players have been fired/released based on outside pressure? I'd also say, if there's one management group that would be somewhat affected by pressure from the media/fanbase, it's definitely the Leafs.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 24
Démarrer sujet
I think you're semi-right, but how many coaches/players have been fired/released based on outside pressure? I'd also say, if there's one management group that would be somewhat affected by pressure from the media/fanbase, it's definitely the Leafs.

That is true most times when people are fired it’s the public calling for their head
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 24
Démarrer sujet

-Kadri was going to be moved. Everyone can sit here with a happy pop in their hands and say "Man, Kadri was really good, trading him was dumb", but the second consecutive suspension in the playoffs (plus the "just fair" offensive season that he was coming off of) had media and a large portion of the fan base looking to push him out.
-No one could have predicted that Pietro was going to be a UFA. The Blues had plenty of cap space left until Doug Armstrong went out and (foolishly) traded for Justin Faulk.
-What other "Depth signings" would have made this team better? A team full of Alex Kerfoot's? Their biggest need has been a top pairing RD...They went out and got one in Brodie.

Yes I did learn that today. Tavares was a good signing
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 33
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: Mike_Gartner
just because they had cap space doesn't mean they should have signed him.
too many cooks in the kitchen, not enough servers.

logic behind my statement is that just because a team can sign someone doesn't mean they should. imagine having $11M in cap space right now, with that cap space and assets, the Leaf's blueline would be a lot more attractive than it is. not signing JT would have allowed the team to build a contender long term, not just a regular season powerhouse.

but seeing how much TML fans cream themselves over having him, logic will never prevail.

Signing players is a mistake because you could take that money and sign players???? Hmmm

I’m fine with the defence the leafs have now. 9 nhl ready Dmen battling for 6 spots. Top 4 of Rielly, Brodie,muzzin,Holl. Much better than signing a 31 year old petro for another 7 years at 9-10m.Not that it matters, the leafs wouldn’t have 11m right now they would have jvr and bozak. Two players considered cap dumps at the moment.
Pond_Duck et DartGuy86 a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 37
Formerly Jamiepo

100% accurate. I will add what I said in my post above. Leafs would have re signed jvr and bozak, two cap dumps at the moment. Even if they had money for petro 9-10m (taxes) for a 31 year old petro for 7 more years? Yikes.
Lenny7 et Pond_Duck a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 42
Formerly Jamiepo
No, Duck Pond, I don't think you understand. Paying Tavares 11m....and getting him for free wasn't a mistake. It was overpaying the three RFAs a total of 4.5m which was the mistake. Leafs had control over those players and had no reason to pay them "hometown premium".
Don't know why you say Tavares is a second line centre. The use of both the top lines and PP usage, makes Tavares and Matthews equal centres.
Seems like most teams, most good teams and even some bad teams are having cap problems. The NHL announced that expected cap for 2020/21 was to be about 86m. Covid has changed some many issues with virtually all teams.
By the way, the trade you propose is rather unpractical. Rangers have big cap issues also and couldn't handle a rise a 5.5m cap hit either.
The Ducks shouldn't telling Leafs how to spend their cap. 8.25m Getzalk a 50 point guy on a 82 game schedule and a buyout of Perry of 6.6m. That's 15m in wasted cap.

What’s your breakdown for 4.5m? I have marner at 1-2m too much. You could argue nylander 500k but I think that is in the realm of fair. Matthews? No such thing as an overpay. Give him the money or lose him (or pay much more) offersheets don’t normally happen but 10 or more teams would have lined up to give him one.
Ritzy a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 12 h 42
Lenny7
Quoting: Jamiepo
100% accurate. I will add what I said in my post above. Leafs would have re signed jvr and bozak, two cap dumps at the moment. Even if they had money for petro 9-10m (taxes) for a 31 year old petro for 7 more years? Yikes.

Yup. Tavares at a high AAV that expires when he's 35? Why the heck not.

But dEpTh PlAyErZzZ!
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2020 à 13 h 6
backcheck>paycheck
Mentions "j'aime": 194
Quoting: Jamiepo
Signing players is a mistake because you could take that money and sign players???? Hmmm

I’m fine with the defence the leafs have now. 9 nhl ready Dmen battling for 6 spots. Top 4 of Rielly, Brodie,muzzin,Holl. Much better than signing a 31 year old petro for another 7 years at 9-10m.Not that it matters, the leafs wouldn’t have 11m right now they would have jvr and bozak. Two players considered cap dumps at the moment.

Came here to say this. That money would not have sat idle. It would have been spent and we would likely be cursing about who they spent it on rn.
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage