Forums/Armchair-GM

If They Didnt Overpay Marner

Créé par: AnalyticsGeek
Équipe: 2020-21 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 7 déc. 2020
Publié: 7 déc. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
For me, the biggest mistake of the Kyle Dubas era will always be the Mitch Marner contract. Even though he is an excellent player, there is no way to justify paying him the same amount as the franchise cornerstones John Tavares and Auston Matthews. With the cap savings from him, the team could've afforded to sign a 2RD and their roster would be unstoppable.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
23 500 000 $
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Marner, Mitchell
59 250 000 $
Offres hostiles
Le salaire annuel moyen (AAV) de l'offre hostile est calculé en divisant la valeur totale du contrat par: 1. La durée totale du contrat, ou 2. Cinq ans
JOUEURAAVCOMPENSATION
Cernak, Erik3 500 000 $
Choix de 2e ronde en 2021
Transactions
TOR
  1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (TBL)
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TBL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $81 321 741 $0 $0 $178 259 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 4
Marner, Mitchell
9 250 000 $9 250 000 $
1 645 000 $1 645 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 4
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AD, AG
NTC
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 4
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NMC
UFA - 4
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 3
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
874 125 $874 125 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
700 000 $700 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 5
700 000 $700 000 $
DG
UFA - 1

Unités spéciales

Avantage numérique 1
Marner, M.
Avantage numérique 2
Infériorité numérique 1
Infériorité numérique 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 2
Hidalgo
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 223
Quoting: mhockey91
The leafs bias is REAL.
Good joke

I don’t see that as a bias. Kapanen was such an exciting and skillful player on Toronto but absolutely could not apply it to anything useful and cost the team more than he helped it in lots of games. At the same price I’d prob take kapanen based on upside potential but at 1/4 of the price I also take Vesey with no hesitation
Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 4
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
my point being that they don't both make 900K

people seem to think the pay difference is indicative that vesey sucks big time, but 1. kappy wasn't that great when he was here and 2. vesey, despite playing on the worse team in the NHL still put up respectable numbers

would you rather have kappy or vesey, simmonds, thornton, bogosian, anderson, and mikheyev?

all these players combined make way more than Kap... what are you saying? and kappy was good in toronto despite what you're saying now. I remember back in the spring leafs fans all wanted a first for Kappy. now apparently he sucks. unbelievable
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 4
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,620
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
Do you guys think this team is strong enough to win the cup?

I don’t understand why leaf fans feel the need to ask this question everyday when the answer is always no
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 4
Quoting: Jamiepo
If they were both making 900k... I would take kappy back all day long. Vesey has a bit of potential though. Certainly not upset about that signing.

yeah the Vesey signing is fine. no worries there.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 6
Ovchinnikov 137
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
"The Rangers got great value out of Laffy’s ELC as they watched him pot a boat load of goals and points. He capped the three years off by scoring over a point per game game in a contract year. A huge reason as to why this overpay occurred is because of Laffys platform year. Using points to evaluate forwards is a bit reductive, but the fact is, points are what get players paid, and Laffy had lots of them.

The Rangers signed Artemi Panarin as an unrestricted free agent in July 2019 to a seven-year contract at an $11 642 857M annual cap hit. If they could have signed him for just a little bit less – say, a $10.5M cap hit – that would have not just saved them that money, it also would have set a lower precedent for the other key players that they knew they would need to sign in the near future: Kaako last year, Laffy and buchnevich this summer.
It’s the Rangers management that they should be angry with, because they set the wheels in motion last year by caving in to the demands of Kaako – a player who hadn’t proven that he is as valuable to the team’s success as Laffy now has proven himself to be."

do you see how silly it sounds in other contexts?

Tavares already took a paycut to come to toronto of like 2-3M, why is he taking even less? How does a 28 year old franchise centre signing a deal impact what a 90+ point winger and a 40-50 goal scoring centre ask for? Nylander was and continues to be an elite winger, a play-driving, play-making, sniping winger who takes faceoffs and is damn good at them.

Can you read?
My point was Tavares’s contract set the table for the Marner contract. Are you telling me that he still scores 94 points and gets 10.89 without JT on the Leafs. Give me a break
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 6
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
my point being that they don't both make 900K

people seem to think the pay difference is indicative that vesey sucks big time, but 1. kappy wasn't that great when he was here and 2. vesey, despite playing on the worse team in the NHL still put up respectable numbers

would you rather have kappy or vesey, simmonds, thornton, bogosian, anderson, and mikheyev?

Yup, I agree. Although I do think kappy is good. Tons of raw talent. Needs to get his brain to catch up with his body. He has shown improvement over the years with the leafs. Curling back and hitting open guys rather than the low percentage waster shot all the time.

My point was only if they made the same. Which they don’t. Which is what I was pointing out in my roundabout way.
chungus a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 7,353
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
Vesey has "potential" (but won't) while Kappy is already there. Little Jimmy will show the Leafs how to win a playoff round

bogosian will show them, just like how he showed the bolts
chungus a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 8
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
all these players combined make way more than Kap... what are you saying? and kappy was good in toronto despite what you're saying now. I remember back in the spring leafs fans all wanted a first for Kappy. now apparently he sucks. unbelievable

Thinking he was going with money above replacement. Even then you wouldn’t fit everyone here.
chungus a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 8
Quoting: KINGS67
I don’t understand why leaf fans feel the need to ask this question everyday when the answer is always no

the answer will always be no until it actually happens because most leaf fans hate themselves and cant grant themselves any hope and other fan bases could never admit it even if they assembled the salt lake city gold team in their prime as leafs
KINGS67 et Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 9
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,085

Quoting: Jamiepo
Thinking he was going with money above replacement. Even then you wouldn’t fit everyone here.

sry, got that talking point mixed up with johnsson + kappy

just in terms of kappy's 3.2M though, vesey simmonds and thornton I would much rather have over just kappy

also, I never wanted a first for kappy, no doubt some did. He was hilariously over valued here and that showed even after he was traded. He had a rep as this scrappy winger who in reality was lazy, one dimensional and more often than not took stupid penalties. He put up decent numbers with matthews, but even then, he's a third liner playing first line minutes, he's not a top 6 winger
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 11

just in terms of kappy's 3.2M though, vesey simmonds and thornton I would much rather have over just kappy

also, I never wanted a first for kappy, no doubt some did. He was hilariously over valued here and that showed even after he was traded. He had a rep as this scrappy winger who in reality was lazy, one dimensional and more often than not took stupid penalties. He put up decent numbers with matthews, but even then, he's a third liner playing first line minutes, he's not a top 6 winger

and dont forget to throw in what kappy was traded for.
chungus a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 12

Kap will be a legit top 6 guy on pit. Kap is also worth way more than Vesey/simmonds/thornton. gimme a break. Simmonds and Thornton are so passed their prime. Kap is one of the most UNDERRATED players on this site. people like you think hes a mediocre 3rd liner when thats just not the case. Hes scored 20+ goals and 40+ points being shuffled all over the lineup from first line with matthews to 3rd line when Nylander came back. once he has a solid fit on Crosby's wing on pittsburgh he will be putting up a 20+ goal 50+ point pace which is top 6 in my book
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 13
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
Can you read?
My point was Tavares’s contract set the table for the Marner contract. Are you telling me that he still scores 94 points and gets 10.89 without JT on the Leafs. Give me a break

marner wanted matthews money. that's the simple matter of it - that and he absolutely despised babs and was not in any mood to take a pay cut

Matthews earned his contract, 40 goals in his rookie year and year after year, despite missing games was easily a top 5 goal scorer

92aefd2ecb35513ca2d243dbac1d6008.png03fcd66b950069c3c49e9e69dd21ed08.png

matthews wanted mcdavid money, he got it but over 5 years, marner wanted that. Tavares didn't factor in. Eventually marner compromised (while turning down more lucrative offer sheets from other teams) and took about a million-ish less and signed for one extra year
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 16
Kap will be a legit top 6 guy on pit. Kap is also worth way more than Vesey/simmonds/thornton. gimme a break. Simmonds and Thornton are so passed their prime. Kap is one of the most UNDERRATED players on this site. people like you think hes a mediocre 3rd liner when thats just not the case. Hes scored 20+ goals and 40+ points being shuffled all over the lineup from first line with matthews to 3rd line when Nylander came back. once he has a solid fit on Crosby's wing on pittsburgh he will be putting up a 20+ goal 50+ point pace which is top 6 in my book

one thing i love about this response is that there are AGM's on here DAILY about how the leafs need to move Marner or Nylander for futures or multiple lesser players to flesh out their depth but when they do it with Kapanen it's a bad move
Barilko14 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 17

he played over half of his 5v5 ice time with one of matthews or JT in 18-19, I'd hope he could muster up 20 goals lmao

b967b6ddfd6274dddb13b7a3e535df2b.png

I'll never forget when we tried to play kappy with JT at the start of 19-20 and he absolute murdered the line and we had to bury him back on the third line
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 18
Hidalgo
Mentions "j'aime": 223

Assuming you’re a Pitt fan, I think kapanen will be great on Pittsburgh. He just didn’t have a place where he meshed well on Toronto and was pretty much useless when he was put in roles out of his comfort zone. However I think with his elite skill set and having Crosby to mentor him on his decision making and seeing the ice (kapanens biggest weakness), he’ll be really impressive hopefully. I do disagree about him not having the value of thornton Vesey etc. Individually he hes the most valuable of those players, but having all of those guys combined at the same cap hit as kapanen is a huge huge win for Toronto IMO
mhockey91 et chungus a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 18
Ovchinnikov 137
marner wanted matthews money. that's the simple matter of it - that and he absolutely despised babs and was not in any mood to take a pay cut

Matthews earned his contract, 40 goals in his rookie year and year after year, despite missing games was easily a top 5 goal scorer

matthews wanted mcdavid money, he got it but over 5 years, marner wanted that. Tavares didn't factor in. Eventually marner compromised (while turning down more lucrative offer sheets from other teams) and took about a million-ish less and signed for one extra year

I actually think this guy does some really good Leaf content. He does a whole vid series on this. Don’t have to watch it all, I’ll even tee up where to tune in. 6:50min

https://youtu.be/p8mkQqODFsc

It’s not like I’m alone in this thought process 😂
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 19
he played over half of his 5v5 ice time with one of matthews or JT in 18-19, I'd hope he could muster up 20 goals lmao

b967b6ddfd6274dddb13b7a3e535df2b.png

I'll never forget when we tried to play kappy with JT at the start of 19-20 and he absolute murdered the line and we had to bury him back on the third line

And the remainder of his 5v5 minutes he was buried on the 3rd line. If he had a permanent top 6 spot he would’ve been 25+ goals plus that season.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 21
Quoting: Hidalgo
Assuming you’re a Pitt fan, I think kapanen will be great on Pittsburgh. He just didn’t have a place where he meshed well on Toronto and was pretty much useless when he was put in roles out of his comfort zone. However I think with his elite skill set and having Crosby to mentor him on his decision making and seeing the ice (kapanens biggest weakness), he’ll be really impressive hopefully. I do disagree about him not having the value of thornton Vesey etc. Individually he hes the most valuable of those players, but having all of those guys combined at the same cap hit as kapanen is a huge huge win for Toronto IMO

As long as he’s good in Pittsburgh I couldn’t care less about how Toronto fans rate him. I think he’ll be a welcome addition once this season starts (if we even get hockey this year)
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 24
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
I actually think this guy does some really good Leaf content. He does a whole vid series on this. Don’t have to watch it all, I’ll even tee up where to tune in. 6:50min

https://youtu.be/p8mkQqODFsc

It’s not like I’m alone in this thought process 😂

Yo I love downstown sports, I watch his videos lol

imo he's making a different point though - if marner doesn't score 94 points and has another year of 70 points playing with a worse player - yeah ofc he takes less

but are we mad at JT now for elevating our team and making our players better lmao?

I'm thrilled that JT was able to come in and pot 47 goals and elevate marner to an uber high end level
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 26
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,619
Quoting: KINGS67

It's not "Leafs fans" it's one guy making ACGMs over and over again with the Marner contract being the talking point.

Most Leafs fans have long moved on and so this one twat keeps Capfriendly busy with his one idea over and over again.
KINGS67 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 27
Ovchinnikov 137
Yo I love downstown sports, I watch his videos lol

imo he's making a different point though - if marner doesn't score 94 points and has another year of 70 points playing with a worse player - yeah ofc he takes less

but are we mad at JT now for elevating our team and making our players better lmao?

I'm thrilled that JT was able to come in and pot 47 goals and elevate marner to an uber high end level

Dude everything I’ve said on this was John Tavares propped up Marner, and yes you can say the same thing for JT stats. My original statement was if no JT, no way in hell Marner gets 10.89. That’s it
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 32
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,510

Matthews earned his pay, he definitely did not earn his contract of 5 years
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 33
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: oneX
It's not "Leafs fans" it's one guy making ACGMs over and over again with the Marner contract being the talking point.

Most Leafs fans have long moved on and so this one twat keeps Capfriendly busy with his one idea over and over again.

Toronto has no moves to make until the season starts, so Capfriendly gets subjected to the daily Nylander/Marner ACGMs and Kerfoot/Holl dumps. Things got mixed up a week ago with the "Tavares sucks" narrative but this is par for the course at least until mid next month.
chungus et oneX a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2020 à 18 h 35
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 491
dude, Marner's contract has been signed. it's done, get over it. It's not gonna change so stop making these kind of teams.
DartGuy86 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage