SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which cities are most likely to get an NHL team?

3 déc. 2020 à 10 h 21
Below Market Value
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,324
Quoting: RussianRangers9
im not 100% sure but if florida can support 2 hockey teams, i believe that sc can attempt to

Florida has over four times the population of South Carolina. South Carolina doesn't have a city with a population greater than 150k, and their largest metropolitan area is under a million. Whereas Florida has 15 cities larger than South Carolina's largest, plus four metropolitan areas over a million.

South Carolina is college football country anyway, and they share their professional fandoms with North Carolina, so they're all likely Hurricanes fans anyway. Most importantly, it's not nearly big enough to support an NHL team.
4 déc. 2020 à 13 h 46
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,640
Quebec, Houston, Hartford.
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
4 déc. 2020 à 16 h 23
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
In terms of expansion, I think they’re done. The only thing I could see is if Arizona completely goes off the rails, it would make sense for them to move to Houston. But we’re still a long, long way away from that being a possibility.

Honestly I think it could be sooner rather than later. The yotes are a mess in every sense of the word
5 déc. 2020 à 15 h 4
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
halifax quebec city saskatoon victoria houston

jeff bezos
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
5 déc. 2020 à 17 h 26
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
Quoting: maplelaughs2297
halifax quebec city saskatoon victoria houston

jeff bezos

Jeff Bezos could create a team (actually several lol) and the NHL would laugh hysterically as they would raise the price to $1B and Bezos would shrug and get someone to get his sock drawer (that's overflowing with cash) to pay.....
5 déc. 2020 à 19 h 24
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,377
I think Hamilton may actually have a shot considering the amount of tickets the Bulldogs are selling

For Houston, I think it's only a matter of time. It meets most of the criteria

I unfortunately don't think Saskatchewan could support an NHL team. That's the problem with a lot of these Canadian markets; diehard fans, but no population

I actually think London could get a team if they wanted to. Tons of hockey fans, and Ontario is pretty populated and could support a 3rd team

Same goes for Halifax. But the Mooseheads and Knights are such historical CHL teams.

Quebec always has a decent shot, but the NHL doesn't seem to like them.

Mexico City is the best idea for world expansion. Rene Fasel denied European expansion, but Mexico is wide open........
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
5 déc. 2020 à 20 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: HabsFan9
I think Hamilton may actually have a shot considering the amount of tickets the Bulldogs are selling

For Houston, I think it's only a matter of time. It meets most of the criteria

I unfortunately don't think Saskatchewan could support an NHL team. That's the problem with a lot of these Canadian markets; diehard fans, but no population

I actually think London could get a team if they wanted to. Tons of hockey fans, and Ontario is pretty populated and could support a 3rd team

Same goes for Halifax. But the Mooseheads and Knights are such historical CHL teams.

Quebec always has a decent shot, but the NHL doesn't seem to like them.

Mexico City is the best idea for world expansion. Rene Fasel denied European expansion, but Mexico is wide open........

all sounds good minus ice in Mexico...IDK it might be interesting but can they afford a team and would fans go for a sport they have barely ever heard of etc....
5 déc. 2020 à 20 h 34
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: Pens3lieve
all sounds good minus ice in Mexico...IDK it might be interesting but can they afford a team and would fans go for a sport they have barely ever heard of etc....

New Mexico Ice Wolves NAHL
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
5 déc. 2020 à 22 h 0
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
Jeff Bezos could create a team (actually several lol) and the NHL would laugh hysterically as they would raise the price to $1B and Bezos would shrug and get someone to get his sock drawer (that's overflowing with cash) to pay.....

this is awesome
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2020 à 1 h 57
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387

New Mexico is in the United States...
6 déc. 2020 à 4 h 46
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
IMO the only Canadian city that can support an expansion team is Greater Toronto. They have the fan potential to offset the weak Canadian dollar. If NYC can have 3 teams I don't see why Toronto cant have 2. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If it's gotta be in the US I'll go with Portland or Salt Lake City. It would have to depend on how successful Seattle is, I suppose. But, Portland is a relatively wealthy city with a basketball team. Salt Lake City is also a solid possibility for many of the same reasons. I do not like the idea of going back to Hartford simply b/c of the city's economic decline since the Whalers left. Besides, most CT residents are Rangers fans anyway. I don't think that'll change with a new local team.
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2020 à 4 h 49
Houston will fail for many of the same reasons ATL failed. If Seattle is a big success Portland will be next up.
6 déc. 2020 à 4 h 57
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
And the saddest thing about all this is that apart from the big concerts which couldn't go to our old Coliseum the old building was perfectly fine... I miss going there so much it's almost an unhealthy thing at this point. I'm only 19 but I've got so many good memories from that place... best arena ever for me

I think you'll always love the Colosseum, but once the new arena opens you'll like the new place even more. I think a lot of Isles fans romanticize the Colosseum because of how terrible Barclays is.
6 déc. 2020 à 4 h 59
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Pretty sure there aren't

They have plenty of penguins though. Relocate the pens from PIT.
6 déc. 2020 à 5 h 2
Quoting: hanson493
everyone keeps bringing up houston... does houston/texas even like hockey? texas is very very much a football first state. Just because its a large market doesnt mean they want the product. Is there any market data to suggest they want hockey there?

Atlanta is very similar demographically. Houston is not a viable option for the NHL.
6 déc. 2020 à 11 h 26
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: krakowitz

But close enough to spark interest in Mexico

I'm not stupid
6 déc. 2020 à 13 h 48
Pettersson_40
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 63
Houston seems to be a popular thought. I think 36 is the biggest I'd go (thinking 20 years from now). I think the nhl might want to enlarge the playoffs to get more $$$ so with a 36 team league you could have a 20-24 team playoff easier...also alot more revenue for players providing more jobs. as long as teams can support a team. I just don't know if there are enough markets to support teams.

Definitely Houston should have a team, biggest TV market in the US without an NHL teams. ( Note, read that in 2019 )
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2020 à 15 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ

close.

yep.

I'm not stupid

possibly.
6 déc. 2020 à 15 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: hockeyman2006
Definitely Houston should have a team, biggest TV market in the US without an NHL teams. ( Note, read that in 2019 )

as long as texans will support it yes!
6 déc. 2020 à 15 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Brian2016
They have plenty of penguins though. Relocate the pens from PIT.

no way lol
the Antartica Penguins sounds awful while the Pittsburgh Penguins has an EPIC ring to it...
6 déc. 2020 à 15 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Brian2016
IMO the only Canadian city that can support an expansion team is Greater Toronto. They have the fan potential to offset the weak Canadian dollar. If NYC can have 3 teams I don't see why Toronto cant have 2. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If it's gotta be in the US I'll go with Portland or Salt Lake City. It would have to depend on how successful Seattle is, I suppose. But, Portland is a relatively wealthy city with a basketball team. Salt Lake City is also a solid possibility for many of the same reasons. I do not like the idea of going back to Hartford simply b/c of the city's economic decline since the Whalers left. Besides, most CT residents are Rangers fans anyway. I don't think that'll change with a new local team.

totally agree with the toronto sentiment. there are so many fans in the GTA and millions of more that could become fans if they had a new team with a great name and nice jerseys and it would hopefully be cheaper then the TML
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2020 à 17 h 19
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Milwaukee is a sleeper. A team there would be cool
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
6 déc. 2020 à 21 h 31
Emotionally in 2018
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,387

I'm not stupid

So a junior hockey team across the border will spark enough of an interest in hockey in Mexico itself that an NHL team could survive there?
6 déc. 2020 à 21 h 53
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169

I'm not stupid

New Mexico isn't really close to any population centres in Mexico. The biggest city in Mexico closest to the US border is Monterrey, which is about 2 1/2 hours away from the Rio Grande.

I think Mexico is a pipe dream for any American sports leagues to expand in. Logistically it would be feasible, but relations between the US-Mexico and well as the uncertainty of general safety in the country wouldn't make the attempt worthwhile.
7 déc. 2020 à 14 h 6
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
So a junior hockey team across the border will spark enough of an interest in hockey in Mexico itself that an NHL team could survive there?

it proves that hockey exists down there, and the sheer population of Mexico City would probably be enough. This is all hypothetical, and it depends on a number of political factors, too

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage