SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

You had to trade one Who are you moving out

18 nov. 2020 à 20 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,925
Quoting: mhockey91
Even LEAFS fan sites admit marner is overpaid. This isn’t a debatable fact. I never said he was a bad player. He’s a very good player and probably a top 10 winger in this league. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s overpaid, and leafs have 4 guys who make over $40 million. The leafs will have some tough decisions to make in the future. Sorry to bruise your ego or disappoint you over your man crush marner, but facts don’t care about your feelings

https://editorinleaf.com/2019/09/14/toronto-maple-leafs-pverpaid/amp/

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/platform/amp/2019/9/14/20865653/toronto-maple-leafs-contracts-mitch-marner-contract-maple-leafs-stats-mitch-marner-stats-goals-wins

hes overpaid but many sites overblow it. Remember Columbus had 13mill and Islanders 14mill ready for him but he turned them down. If he took 1mill less, people wouldnt be complaining as much.

Marner in general is 1mill overpaid. Thats nothing considering there are players who have contracts that are significantly worse. Marner when healthy can put up 100 points when healthy, is young, and as Kane put it is only gonna get better. In general leafs have done well managing the cap despite the big 4 and Dubas when the time comes will deal with the next hurdles when they arrive.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
18 nov. 2020 à 20 h 28
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: aadoyle
hes overpaid but many sites overblow it. Remember Columbus had 13mill and Islanders 14mill ready for him but he turned them down. If he took 1mill less, people wouldnt be complaining as much.

Marner in general is 1mill overpaid. Thats nothing considering there are players who have contracts that are significantly worse. Marner when healthy can put up 100 points when healthy, is young, and as Kane put it is only gonna get better. In general leafs have done well managing the cap despite the big 4 and Dubas when the time comes will deal with the next hurdles when they arrive.

he should be paid between 9-10 million. I wouldn't say dubas has done well managing the cap. Matthews deal isnt very long term, Nylander waited out for almost half the season back in 2018, and Marner is overpaid.
18 nov. 2020 à 22 h 52
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,126
Quoting: Byrr
Other teams will make that decision for you. No one is taking on Marner's salary with the current financial climate.

Careful there. Marner's salary is just a smidge over $35 million for 5 years; that probably makes him the best $7 million AAV player in the League. It's his cap hit that's an obstacle.
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
18 nov. 2020 à 22 h 53
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: mhockey91
he should be paid between 9-10 million. I wouldn't say dubas has done well managing the cap. Matthews deal isnt very long term, Nylander waited out for almost half the season back in 2018, and Marner is overpaid.

If you take him on, you'll be paying him $7 million. How do you feel about him now?
18 nov. 2020 à 23 h 6
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Saskleaf
Ok, I'm a bit biased here and really, really hope Nylander goes over Marner. But, I also think this is more likely because of this:

"Other teams will make that decision for you. No one is taking on Marner's salary with the current financial climate."

This is exactly the case.

I'm not so sure. First of all, it's the cap hit, not the salary, that's the rub. Second, if I were the Anaheim GM, I'd happily trade Jacob Silfverberg and Josh Manson plus a first for Marner because we could happily absorb the cap hit.
oneX a aimé ceci.
19 nov. 2020 à 0 h 20
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Quoting: OldNYIfan
If you take him on, you'll be paying him $7 million. How do you feel about him now?

Yeah it was front loaded contact
19 nov. 2020 à 7 h 10
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,035
Careful there. Marner's salary is just a smidge over $35 million for 5 years; that probably makes him the best $7 million AAV player in the League. It's his cap hit that's an obstacle.

The next 2 seasons are going to be very hard on NHL teams, in that time Marner is getting paid in 2 years what Nylander will for the next 3. It adds up quickly,
19 nov. 2020 à 8 h 4
Leafs fan...sorry
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 222
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
Moving Marner impacts your team more than if Nylander was traded. Nylander is replaceable but Marner is not.

where else in the league do you see a Nylander Caliber player, at his age, for his price?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
19 nov. 2020 à 9 h 42
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,186
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
Lol I was just quoting you. I will be pissed off if we have to trade Nylander or Marner. Ya, let’s trade one of the young guns and keep the 30 year old 11 mil

Oh, I see what's happening now, my bad. I didn't say that I wanted Nylander to be trade necessarily, but if one of the big 4 have to go, I hope it's Nylander.
19 nov. 2020 à 9 h 48
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,186
I'm not so sure. First of all, it's the cap hit, not the salary, that's the rub. Second, if I were the Anaheim GM, I'd happily trade Jacob Silfverberg and Josh Manson plus a first for Marner because we could happily absorb the cap hit.

Yes, sure, this help if a team like Flordia or Arizona wants him, but the cap hit is a problem to any team with the flat cap. By the way nope, leafs are not doing the trade you just offered, just because the cap hinders a trade possiblitlity doesn't mean his value suddenly plummets.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
19 nov. 2020 à 19 h 5
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 253
This is an old discussion. I've always said that under the current cap, the large AAV contracts don't help players. It's a question of basic psychology. As a player (as in any job), it feels better to exceed expectations. This feeling brings motivation, and a positive feedback that further helps performance. And it explains why many players decline after hitting a huge contract.

In my mind, the optimal salary is the one that targets the lower bound of the market value for a given level of expected production. Ideal for performance and for psychological well-being.

Nylander is closest to that optimum, so he's the one I would keep.
20 nov. 2020 à 13 h 24
Please win the cup
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 187
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yes, he's overpaid. But he's young, and by the end of his contract I doubt he will be considered overpayed by most

Hey, this is lylebubas's chart!

Yes it is! I thought I'd help him out when needed!!!
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
27 nov. 2020 à 2 h 3
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,624

Good points. I will go one further and say owners care less about stuff like cap hit (especially in this COVID ERA) more about much actual money is being paid out.

To people on this site, actual money being paid vs cap hit means less but to owners (especially ones who into cash businesses, hi Vancouver's owner!) these things mean more than people on this site actually put thought into.

This is why 95% of the Leafs roster is quite tradeable in this COVID ERA. Will trades happen? Perhaps but it depends on what changes Dubas and Co. want to make.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
27 déc. 2020 à 15 h 59
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
Nylander or Marner

nylander . because marner is a superstar and is 1 f there top 3 players nylanders is a top 5 and nylander is not agressive enough but marner is very agressive and marner makes spectaculur moves that 90 percent of the time work
27 déc. 2020 à 16 h 0
sbinalla
Rejoint: déc. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 357
nylander

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage