Forums/Armchair-GM

Reversing one trade - Buffalo Sabres

Créé par: SevenLeg
Équipe: 2020-21 Sabres de Buffalo
Date de création initiale: 26 oct. 2020
Publié: 27 oct. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Here's the part V of that series, by @KakkoForMauriceRichardAward and I. The goal is basically to see where each team would currently stand after reversing one bad or questionable trade. Excuse me in advance for my grammar and syntax errors, feel free to correct me if needed.

The trade : On July 1 2018, the Buffalo Sabres Ryan O'Reilly to St. Louis Blues for Tage Thompson, Vladimir Sobotka, Patrik Berglund, round 1 pick in the 2019 draft (Ryan Johnson) and round 2 pick in the 2021 draft

The context : The Sabres were struggling for a long-time now and O'Reilly had stated that he had lost his love for the game, which made him a trade candidate. He was 27, was in his prime and was one of the top defensive centers in the game.

BUF side : They got two multiple years cap dumps, including one who forfeited the remaining 12 millions on his contract. While the picked turned out to be the 31st, the Sabres drafted Ryan Johnson, who is quite a good prospect considering his draft rank, while Tage Thompson remains a question mark. If the trade is undone, it's safe to say that they would have one of the best center cores in the league, with Eichel, O'Reilly and Staal. It's also safe to say that they would be a playoffs team.

STL side : In his first season in St. Louis, O’Reilly tallied 77 points (28 goals, 49 assists) and a team-best +22 for the Blues during the regular season. He followed that up with 23 points during St. Louis’ Stanley Cup run, as he took home the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. He scored a goal in each of the final four games against the Boston Bruins, a record Stanley Cup Final scoring streak he now shares with some guy named Wayne Gretzky. The Blues would probably not have won the cup if they had not made the trade.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
2800 000 $
12 500 000 $
Transactions
STL
  1. Johnson, Ryan [Liste de réserve]
  2. Thompson, Tage
Détails additionnels:
1. Berglund, Patrik
2. Sobotka, Vladimir
BUF
  1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2021 (PHI)
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2022 (PHI)
Rachats de contrats
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de PHI
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de PHI
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $69 748 334 $1 487 500 $4 337 500 $11 751 666 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Sabres de Buffalo
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 1
10 000 000 $10 000 000 $
C
UFA - 6
5 200 000 $5 200 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo de Blues de St-Louis
1 875 000 $1 875 000 $
C
UFA - 3
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
C, AG
UFA - 3
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 625 000 $1 625 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
AG, C
RFA - 1
2 200 000 $2 200 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 3
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
C
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
DG/DD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance637 500 $$638K)
DD
RFA - 1
2 600 000 $2 600 000 $
G
UFA - 1
2 850 000 $2 850 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
3 850 000 $3 850 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
G
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
5 400 000 $5 400 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
800 000 $800 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
27 oct. 2020 à 13 h 25
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,495
cry
SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
27 oct. 2020 à 14 h 8
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,738
At the time, the 2 cap dumps were borderline cap dumps, and they became cap dumps because they didn't have quality on them, and Berglund had it easy in St.Louis his entire career just lazy in general, Wasn't surprised he left the NHL.
gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
27 oct. 2020 à 14 h 39
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,234
Such an absolutely brutal trade. Botterills gone, no point beating that dead horse anymore. I suppose we could blame the pegulas for insisting that ror be moved before paying the bonus, but since they blew past their self-imposed 70 million dollar cap as soon as they got a chance to sign hall...its just weird i guess.
SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
27 oct. 2020 à 18 h 9
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,318
200.gif
SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
28 oct. 2020 à 14 h 26
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,799
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
At the time, the 2 cap dumps were borderline cap dumps, and they became cap dumps because they didn't have quality on them, and Berglund had it easy in St.Louis his entire career just lazy in general, Wasn't surprised he left the NHL.

I agree Berglund was not a pure cap dump.
He had 17 goals his last season with the Blues in only 57 games and 23 the previous full season.
Of course, stories change to suit peoples opinions and this is a perfect example.
Not much was made of this but the Sabres became a dumpster fire right after he left the team.
During the preseason he being called the "Swedish Uncle" by the media.
I agree, he was not a dump as many are portraying.
Sobotka on the other hand did not seem to offer much talent, but Krueger liked his style so much he put him on the second line.
You obviously watched more Blue playoff games than I.
While on vacation we met a couple of Blues fans who had strong opinions of O'Reilly's performance prior to the finals.
Could you please share what you observed about his contribution.
In particular could you comment on game 7 against the Stars.
Quoting: sabres89
Such an absolutely brutal trade. Botterills gone, no point beating that dead horse anymore. I suppose we could blame the pegulas for insisting that ror be moved before paying the bonus, but since they blew past their self-imposed 70 million dollar cap as soon as they got a chance to sign hall...its just weird i guess.

Quoting: mokumboi
200.gif

I know it was a shame to break up that Stanley cup team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that play off team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that bubble team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to trade away a multi trophy winner.

Did you ever listen to O'Reilly's entire interview?
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-oreilly-deserves-respect-not-accusations/
listen at 1:54, 3:00, 4:58 and 5:08 lost his love of the game. We were lucky to get a bucket of pucks after this interview.
Did you remember that STL was in last place until Binnington joined the Blues?
Did you ever read an analysis of the trade directly after the trade: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/trade-blues-spend-big-to-get-ryan-oreilly-from-sabres/
Only after the trade he had a "spark" https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-trade-blues-spark-now/

I watched the Blues in the playoffs , if O'Reilly played with that high of intensity the Sabres would never have traded him and the team would have made the playoffs at least one of the years he was here.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but you all know the Blues missed the playoff by one point the previous season and added not only O'Reilly but Bozak, Perron and Binnington.
And with Berglund, the Sabres got off to a great start and were in first place in the entire league.
I guess we all forget about these sort of things once we make up our mind about a trade.

EDIT:
Somehow the Sabres had a better record the following year after he was traded.
How is that possible when he was such a great player.
28 oct. 2020 à 15 h 15
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I agree Berglund was not a pure cap dump.
He had 17 goals his last season with the Blues in only 57 games and 23 the previous full season.
Of course, stories change to suit peoples opinions and this is a perfect example.
Not much was made of this but the Sabres became a dumpster fire right after he left the team.
During the preseason he being called the "Swedish Uncle" by the media.
I agree, he was not a dump as many are portraying.
Sobotka on the other hand did not seem to offer much talent, but Krueger liked his style so much he put him on the second line.
You obviously watched more Blue playoff games than I.
While on vacation we met a couple of Blues fans who had strong opinions of O'Reilly's performance prior to the finals.
Could you please share what you observed about his contribution.
In particular could you comment on game 7 against the Stars.

I know it was a shame to break up that Stanley cup team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that play off team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that bubble team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to trade away a multi trophy winner.

Did you ever listen to O'Reilly's entire interview?
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-oreilly-deserves-respect-not-accusations/
listen at 1:54, 3:00, 4:58 and 5:08 lost his love of the game. We were lucky to get a bucket of pucks after this interview.
Did you remember that STL was in last place until Binnington joined the Blues?
Did you ever read an analysis of the trade directly after the trade: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/trade-blues-spend-big-to-get-ryan-oreilly-from-sabres/
Only after the trade he had a "spark" https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-trade-blues-spark-now/

I watched the Blues in the playoffs , if O'Reilly played with that high of intensity the Sabres would never have traded him and the team would have made the playoffs at least one of the years he was here.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but you all know the Blues missed the playoff by one point the previous season and added not only O'Reilly but Bozak, Perron and Binnington.
And with Berglund, the Sabres got off to a great start and were in first place in the entire league.
I guess we all forget about these sort of things once we make up our mind about a trade.

EDIT:
Somehow the Sabres had a better record the following year after he was traded.
How is that possible when he was such a great player.

Game 7 was interesting yes he had an okay game, but he was eliminated between the game because they were very good at completely eliminating his shots he had 2 shots one of them was from behind the blueline, and the other was from the face off circle, now when it came to driving and puck possession he was good so the persistence of Blues fan is more or less they have to have something to complain about so let's jus rip a new one for a random player on the team. It has been mostly Alex Pietrangelo, Jake Allen, Alexander Steen, and Justin Faulk.
28 oct. 2020 à 15 h 57
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 191
Got a question for Blues fans.

If you go back in time knowing everything you do today, would you take this trade if Tage Thompson and a 1st was replaced with Robert Thomas and a 2nd? I'm just curious as that's what I was clamoring for at the time.
28 oct. 2020 à 16 h 22
Game 7 was interesting yes he had an okay game, but he was eliminated between the game because they were very good at completely eliminating his shots he had 2 shots one of them was from behind the blueline, and the other was from the face off circle, now when it came to driving and puck possession he was good so the persistence of Blues fan is more or less they have to have something to complain about so let's jus rip a new one for a random player on the team. It has been mostly Alex Pietrangelo, Jake Allen, Alexander Steen, and Justin Faulk.

The two Blues fans we met on vacation had nothing good to say about O'Reilly.
They felt he was not a big factor prior to the final series.
As I said, I watched him in the playoffs, he NEVER played that way in Buffalo.
I would watch him win a faceoff in the defensive zone and about 50% of the time carry to the offensive blue line only to dump the puck in and I would watch the other team carry it out.
Sure he won many face offs but would subsequently give the puck away.
28 oct. 2020 à 16 h 56
They felt he was not a big factor prior to the final series.
As I said, I watched him in the playoffs, he NEVER played that way in Buffalo.
I would watch him win a faceoff in the defensive zone and about 50% of the time carry to the offensive blue line only to dump the puck in and I would watch the other team carry it out.
Sure he won many face offs but would subsequently give the puck away.

O'Reilly might not be the X-Factor offensively as most Blues fans only see offensive play, but his defensive play was second to none in playoffs, and in that being said I feel that was the reason he won the Conn Smythe not his offensive performance in Stanley Cup Finals.
mokumboi a aimé ceci.
28 oct. 2020 à 17 h 38
O'Reilly might not be the X-Factor offensively as most Blues fans only see offensive play, but his defensive play was second to none in playoffs, and in that being said I feel that was the reason he won the Conn Smythe not his offensive performance in Stanley Cup Finals.

thank you for your thoughts.
I know +/- does not reveal the entire story, but going into the finals he has the highest +/- of all skaters among the four teams.
The two going to the finals and the two eliminated.
As I said, he did not try while a Sabre, but played well in the finals.
28 oct. 2020 à 17 h 43
mokumboi
Quoting: Shootica

If you go back in time knowing everything you do today, would you take this trade if Tage Thompson and a 1st was replaced with Robert Thomas and a 2nd? I'm just curious as that's what I was clamoring for at the time.

Thomas was basically untouchable. Well, still is.
Shootica a aimé ceci.
28 oct. 2020 à 17 h 45
mokumboi

Let me just go ahead and let you in on something: a considerable segment of Blues fans are dumber than a wet sack of hammers. Of course, I'm sure that's the case with all teams in every sport.
Shylo_Moxii et gretzkyghosts a aimé ceci.
28 oct. 2020 à 18 h 0
Quoting: Shootica

mmmmm no, Thomas was untouchable. Kyrou or Kostin maybe, but Thomas is a HUGE no.
Shootica a aimé ceci.
28 oct. 2020 à 18 h 25
Quoting: mokumboi
Let me just go ahead and let you in on something: a considerable segment of Blues fans are dumber than a wet sack of hammers. Of course, I'm sure that's the case with all teams in every sport.

yes but those are mostly lemmings who agree with anything broadcast or printed.
I thought it was very unusual for two fans to go against the flow.
28 oct. 2020 à 18 h 36
mokumboi
yes but those are mostly lemmings who agree with anything broadcast or printed.
I thought it was very unusual for two fans to go against the flow.

Actually, in St. Louis the dimwits go against the flow, across the river and over looney mountain just to be adversarial. Their takes are bananas and they hate everything good.
Shylo_Moxii a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage