SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Travis Dermott (1 Year / $874,125 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 oct. 2020 à 16 h 43
GM67
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 316
WOW! Give this man a Cigar! What a deal on both sides. OUTSTANDING TEAM deal and a player who just wants to win! Marner, Matthews and the high paid crew should take notice.
23 oct. 2020 à 17 h 43
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Wow, it seems the RFAs without arbitration took the biggest hit for salary this year. Here’s to hoping that players like Dermott, Mete, Gurianov, Jost, Siegenthaler, Gaudette, and others can get what they deserve on their next contracts.
23 oct. 2020 à 18 h 24
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,198
Quoting: Jamiepo
Classy.

But random is never right or classy himself.
23 oct. 2020 à 18 h 28
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
It’s player friendly deal. Team friendly would have been signing two years for a slight raise. Not a huge deal. Bogo and Holl leave and he can have their money.

Until he blows his knee out and never signs another deal in his career. He's taking risk
23 oct. 2020 à 18 h 30
Quoting: thelastlongbow
100% a good deal.

What don't you like about him?

Considering his name I assume he wants brutish slow defenseman
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 0
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: willdog37
I think Dubas' job is on the line if this team doesn't make a serious run. Seems like he's going all in this year

Not even close on both accounts.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 8
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 830
Quoting: rollie1967
The Leafs are still in cap hell. If my last name was Kerfoot ... I wouldn't be buying real estate anytime soon.

They have the whole roster signed, and don't have to make any trades.

Yah getting out of cap hell is easy ... when you give away first round picks to take on contracts (Marleau).

You can thank Loui Lamoriello for Patty Marleau at $6,300,000 x 3 years (cost a 1st round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for Nikita Zaitsev at $4,500,000 x 6 years (cost Connor Brown)
You can also thank Lamoriello for renting Tom Plekanec to play #4C (cost a 2nd round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for renting Brian Boyle to play #4C (cost a 2nd round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for keeping JVR + Bozak + Komarov (cost a massive haul)

Or just give up good young and reasonably priced players (Johnsson) for nothing.
He was projected to play in their top 6 ... and they got an unsigned minor leaguer for him.

Joey Anderson had better even-strength points/game and goals/game than Johnsson last year (with worse line-mates).
He's also 4 years younger + better defensively + kills penalties (and would've played all year if he didn't break a bone).
Joey Anderson will be better than Johnsson within a season or two (for one fifth of the price).

They can barely squeak under the cap if they:
Demote Pierre Engvall (the 2nd coming!)
Demote or trade Travis Dermott (yikes!)
Use Marincin as their 7th d-man (yikes!)

LOL I don't think I've ever seen someone be so wrong, while simultaneously giving so much attitude (yikes!)
Laquille a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 14
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I would like my crow deep fried with a side of hot sauce.

I was wrong, you were right.

You have earned the right to change your name from littlejerryseinfeld to bigjerryseinfeld.
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 33
Quoting: Jexus
There goes Leafs new favorite acgm trade chip. Prepare for an onslaught of Engvall and Holl trades

Engvall maybe, looks like he may be moved up and down this season. People will see his cap hit and the 175k to bury him and try to move him.

Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
I saw your comment and then Created an ACGM and traded both of them lol

Engvall plays a lot like Joel Armia in my opinion (which is why I like him). Plus there's this:

Engvall (6'5 / 214 lbs) 23 year old season = 48GP - 08G- 07A - 15PTS = 0.32 points per game
J.Armia (6'4 / 213 lbs) 23 year old season = 57GP - 10G- 09A - 19PTS = 0.33 points per game

If Engvall can improve a bit than his $1,250,000 will be a steal.
MapleLeafsfan2003 a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 42
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
It’s player friendly deal. Team friendly would have been signing two years for a slight raise. Not a huge deal. Bogo and Holl leave and he can have their money.

How is it a player friendly deal? It's literally his QO...

Might not be as team friendly as some people think though.
BCAPP a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 52
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,555
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
But random is never right or classy himself.

Classy? Not often.
Right? Almost always. At least more often than you and the users on here lol.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 54
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
How is it a player friendly deal? It's literally his QO...

Might not be as team friendly as some people think though.

Given the circumstances it is the most player friendly option available. 2-1.25m on a 2 year term would be team friendly. Knowing the leafs would be better prepared to offer him a raise then.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 57
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Random2152
Classy? Not often.

Not all....
Random2152 a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 20 h 57
Given the circumstances it is the most player friendly option available. 2-1.25m on a 2 year term would be team friendly. Knowing the leafs would be better prepared to offer him a raise then.

A player friendly deal is Mitch Marner's contract not a guy taking his QO... that money was guaranteed to Dermott.

Yes 1.25Mx2 would be a more team friendly deal but most projections had him making 1.5-1.8M on a 2 year deal.

It's not like his value is gonna go way up after this season. He's gonna be on the 3rd pairing yet again.
23 oct. 2020 à 21 h 0
Formerly Jamiepo
A player friendly deal is Mitch Marner's contract not a guy taking his QO... that money was guaranteed to Dermott.

Yes 1.25Mx2 would be a more team friendly deal but most projections had him making 1.5-1.8M on a 2 year deal.

It's not like his value is gonna go way up after this season. He's gonna be on the 3rd pairing yet again.

Leafs have about 1.25m to spend on him. It’s that or he does not play in the nhl and does not get arb rights next year.

Yes his value will go way up because he can go to arbitration. That and he is good and could wind up in the top 4 this year.
23 oct. 2020 à 21 h 39
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 271
Decent contract for the Leafs, but they still have some manipulating to do to get under the cap.
23 oct. 2020 à 21 h 55
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 237
Quoting: thelastlongbow
100% a good deal.

What don't you like about him?

He's just very "meh" to me. I'd rather Sandin or Liljegren in his spot.
23 oct. 2020 à 21 h 55
Leafs have about 1.25m to spend on him. It’s that or he does not play in the nhl and does not get arb rights next year.

Yes his value will go way up because he can go to arbitration. That and he is good and could wind up in the top 4 this year.

Yeah 1.25Mx2 would have been awesome but just cause he didn't take that doesn't mean this is a player friendly contract...

That argument is just illogical. How could it be player friendly when it's literally the minimum money they could have given him.

Imagine if Marner took his QO. Then you say they should have locked him up 5Mx8. Yeah that would have been amazing but it's just not realistic.

I don't see Dermott knocking Muzzin, Rielly or Brodie out of the top 4.

Is he gonna be better than Sandin, Lehtonen and Holl playing his off side? I highly doubt it.
BCAPP a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 23 h 7
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,198
Quoting: Random2152
Classy? Not often.

The Left side is NEVER right, just liars.
23 oct. 2020 à 23 h 23
Formerly Jamiepo
Yeah 1.25Mx2 would have been awesome but just cause he didn't take that doesn't mean this is a player friendly contract...

That argument is just illogical. How could it be player friendly when it's literally the minimum money they could have given him.

Imagine if Marner took his QO. Then you say they should have locked him up 5Mx8. Yeah that would have been amazing but it's just not realistic.

I don't see Dermott knocking Muzzin, Rielly or Brodie out of the top 4.

Is he gonna be better than Sandin, Lehtonen and Holl playing his off side? I highly doubt it.

They could have paid him less after his QO expired. Sometimes term is part of the deal being player friendly.

Like one that would bring a player directly to ufa rather than one year less to remain rfa.

This term has him up as quick as possible for a new contract with arb rights. With the amount going to escrow this year it works fine for his bank account too.

Clearly there are no offersheets this year, he has zero leverage. What is the least team friendly deal he could have done? I mean sitting out the season would do more damage to him then the team.

My point isn’t that he’s being selfish at all. Just people thinking he too a hair cut on this is a bit naive.
oneX a aimé ceci.
23 oct. 2020 à 23 h 44
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,128
This guy deserves way more. He's going to become a top 4 dman imo.
GenXHockey, BCAPP et treemos27 a aimé ceci.
24 oct. 2020 à 0 h 0
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
The Left side is NEVER right, just liars.

imagine starting a political argument on capfriendly in the travis dermott qualifying offer thread
24 oct. 2020 à 2 h 9
They could have paid him less after his QO expired. Sometimes term is part of the deal being player friendly.

Like one that would bring a player directly to ufa rather than one year less to remain rfa.

This term has him up as quick as possible for a new contract with arb rights. With the amount going to escrow this year it works fine for his bank account too.

Clearly there are no offersheets this year, he has zero leverage. What is the least team friendly deal he could have done? I mean sitting out the season would do more damage to him then the team.

My point isn’t that he’s being selfish at all. Just people thinking he too a hair cut on this is a bit naive.

I agree this isn't a big discount contract like some people are suggesting but this definitely isn't a "player friendly" contract.

Worst thing he could do would to be to get another team to offer him 1.3M (he's easily worth that) and they don't have to give any compensation if the Leafs don't match.

Was the Labanc deal at 1Mx1 a player friendly deal?

Also I rather have a player signed for an extra year than be an RFA with a crazy QO --> Timo Meier
24 oct. 2020 à 3 h 5
Formerly Jamiepo
I agree this isn't a big discount contract like some people are suggesting but this definitely isn't a "player friendly" contract.

Worst thing he could do would to be to get another team to offer him 1.3M (he's easily worth that) and they don't have to give any compensation if the Leafs don't match.

Was the Labanc deal at 1Mx1 a player friendly deal?

Also I rather have a player signed for an extra year than be an RFA with a crazy QO --> Timo Meier

Yes the Lebanc deal was team friendly. Over 50 points, how much would he have got in arbitration? (I believe he was eligable) Apples and oranges.

Who is offersheeting anyone? Of course the leafs match. We still have contracts we can move. Think there are some way better targets out there with teams in much deeper trouble. And not one offersheet. Do you think even one gm approached Dermott to talk about a contract?

For the leafs this is literally the worst of 2 good options. I don’t consider him sitting out an option. 1 year deal good for Dermott 2 year deal good for the leafs.

Leafs save a bit of money this year so that eases the cap, 2 year deal would have gave Dermott a bit more money but he clearly makes out much better with this deal.

Dermott has zero leverage so really it’s going to work out for the leafs either way.
24 oct. 2020 à 9 h 22
Quoting: justaBoss
Well to be fair I'd much rather take one of Brodie/Muzzin or Dermott if I were Seattle. All of them are more valuable and at least one of them is left unprotected.

Depends if they go 8 FD instead 7/3, they could leave Kerfoot available. But as is I suspect it would be Dermott left available

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage