SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Tyler Toffoli (4 Years / $4,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 44
Kansler
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 228
Kinda like this signing. Money is reasonable compare to many deals and gotta love the term. He signs basically for his prime years fro. 28 to 32. Usually they try to force the extra 3 years into this (which would make this wqy harder to handle in case it somegow goes bonkers)
OldNYIfan et habs_fan123 a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 45
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 134
Quoting: ON3M4N
Full disclaimer I'm not as big on Toffoli as others. With that, his 5v5 production over the last 3 years is on par with Craig Smith who gets less TOI and signed for $1.2 million less.

Age difference and it costs more for the extra year. I'd say they equal out.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 46
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,483
Quoting: justaBoss
Oh crap did Bergevin do something good for a change???

He's been doing good things since he's GM. Sergachev for Drouin is the only thing I'd reverse. Most of the time it seems like bad moves (Galchenyuk for Domi, Chiarot 3x3.5) but he always proves wrong. Meanwhile, this summer :

In during the offseason.

➡️ Josh Anderson
➡️ Tyler Toffoli
➡️ Joel Edmundson
➡️ Alexander Romanov
➡️ Jake Allen

Out during the offseason

➡️ Max Domi
➡️ Dale Weise
➡️ Christian Folin
➡️ Keith Kinkaid
JeyCH22, OldmanWebber, ColonelX and 5 others a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 48
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Jim Benning is bad at every aspect of the GM position outside of drafting. Now that Judd Brackett, the head of amateur scouting that Vancouver had, is now with Minnesota, I wonder how those future drafts will be.
OldNYIfan et rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 49
Kansler
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 228
Full disclaimer I'm not as big on Toffoli as others. With that, his 5v5 production over the last 3 years is on par with Craig Smith who gets less TOI and signed for $1.2 million less.

Smith deal was class, but doesn't mean this isnt decent aswell. Lots of horrible ones out there. Bit amazed canucks couldn't hold on to him, if this was all he was asking.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,566
Quoting: dc64
Age difference and it costs more for the extra year. I'd say they equal out.

3yr difference (not a massive gap)
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,566
Quoting: HelmutCool
Smith deal was class, but doesn't mean this isnt decent aswell. Lots of horrible ones out there. Bit amazed canucks couldn't hold on to him, if this was all he was asking.

Its not terrible, but I see a lot of people (on other sites) acting like this is an amazing deal and every other team must have been asleep at the wheel for not signing Toffoli.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 52
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 134
3yr difference (not a massive gap)

Ages 28-32 are more valuable than 31-34. It makes a difference in signing players.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 52
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: SevenLeg
He's been doing good things since he's GM. Sergachev for Drouin is the only thing I'd reverse. Most of the time it seems like bad moves (Galchenyuk for Domi, Chiarot 3x3.5) but he always proves wrong. Meanwhile, this summer :

In during the offseason.

➡️ Josh Anderson
➡️ Tyler Toffoli
➡️ Joel Edmundson
➡️ Alexander Romanov
➡️ Jake Allen

Out during the offseason

➡️ Max Domi
➡️ Dale Weise
➡️ Christian Folin
➡️ Keith Kinkaid

Ehh...out of those moves only ones I would've done were bringing Toffoli and Romanov in. Anderson signing and trade was a bust for what we've seen thus far, paying for assets like Edmundson or Allen wasn't really necessary since there were other options available in the free agency, and well the rest of the players leaving the team we're vets with their contracts expiring, so nothing much done by Bergevin there...
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 56
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,185
Some Habs fan wanted Vesey over Toffoli.

This is a good contract.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 56
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Ehh...out of those moves only ones I would've done were bringing Toffoli and Romanov in. Anderson signing and trade was a bust for what we've seen thus far, paying for assets like Edmundson or Allen wasn't really necessary since there were other options available in the free agency, and well the rest of the players leaving the team we're vets with their contracts expiring, so nothing much done by Bergevin there...

For Allen, there really wasn’t. The best UFA goalie that signed a 1 year deal was Smith (other than Lundqvist, who wouldn’t have signed here since he wants the best chance to win). We don’t have the need or cap space for a backup in 21-22, so it’s well worth it paying a 3rd for Allen instead of Smith.
justaBoss, OldNYIfan et HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 57
Jay27
Mentions "j'aime": 1,101
Quoting: kaljakori
So you're telling me guys like Cody Eakin and Frank Vatrano are top-6 players? Well I'll be damned.

Each of them managed it once, Toffoli has done it over half of his career. Also Toffoli has scored 0.57 points per game over his career while Eakins has a 0.40 and Vatrano sports a 0.41. Apples and oranges bud.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 58
Hop on the Slaftrain
Mentions "j'aime": 20,483

-Edmundson and Anderson are busts? Can we wait until they play a game lol?
-Out of all the goalies available, who signed a one-year deal, which is what we needed?. It's not like we gave up the moon for Allen either.
-The fact that he brought in every single pieces that we were missing while only giving up one valuable pieces that was a surplus proves a lot about Bergevin.
ColonelX, OldNYIfan, gm_jeanguy and 2 others a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 14 h 58
What in tarnation
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
For Allen, there really wasn’t. The best UFA goalie that signed a 1 year deal was Smith (other than Lundqvist, who wouldn’t have signed here since he wants the best chance to win). We don’t have the need or cap space for a backup in 21-22, so it’s well worth it paying a 3rd for Allen instead of Smith.

Point taken
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 0
What in tarnation
Quoting: SevenLeg
-Edmundson and Anderson are busts? Can we wait until they play a game lol?
-Out of all the goalies available, who signed a one-year deal, which is what we needed?. It's not like we gave up the moon for Allen either.
-The fact that he brought in every single pieces that we were missing while only giving up one valuable pieces that was a surplus proves a lot about Bergevin.

The players themselves aren't busts, but the returns were. CBJ got a better and cheaper player and pick to boot in that exchange. Spending a 5th for Edmundson wasn't really necessary.

But as you said, let's wait and see what's coming next. I myself aren't that convinced about Bergevin for now...
wi55em a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 0
Former Hockey Fan
I’m a little late to the party, but I love this signing. Toffoli is exactly the kind of player we need, and the money & term is extremely reasonable. Our top 9 probably looks like:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Which is pretty nice. Not to mention Byron & Lehkonen are on the 4th line. Now all we need to do is trade Jordan Weal (and maybe Brett Kulak, but only for value) and we’re sitting pretty.
SevenLeg, Jay27, OldNYIfan and 4 others a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 5
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,017
Holtby at $4.3M or Toffoli at $4.25. I know 11/10 Canucks fans can see what’s wrong with that, and what should have been done, but their GM can’t it seems.
OldNYIfan et Tmclean64 a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 9
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,185
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Jim Benning is bad at every aspect of the GM position outside of drafting. Now that Judd Brackett, the head of amateur scouting that Vancouver had, is now with Minnesota, I wonder how those future drafts will be.

it's kind of remarkable how benning has bumbled his way into creating a competitive team. if the canucks don't make the playoffs i think he's out the door.
Chigurrhh, OldNYIfan, Tmclean64 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 27
Former Hockey Fan
This signing probably means that this is Tatar’s last year in Montreal. I assume he’ll be kept as an own rental though, unless something disastrous happens.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
This signing probably means that this is Tatar’s last year in Montreal. I assume he’ll be kept as an own rental though, unless something disastrous happens.

depends on his ask for next contract, if he continues to be a 60 point producer and drouin stumbles, keep tatar and trade drouin.
wi55em a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 15 h 53
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: athrin
depends on his ask for next contract, if he continues to be a 60 point producer and drouin stumbles, keep tatar and trade drouin.

Drouin isn’t getting traded. We’re well balanced now, and if we keep the goalscorer over the playmaker while Caufield comes in, we’re going to be left with not enough people dishing the puck. Plus Drouin is younger and more cost effective. And his contract isn’t an overpay like Tatar’s could be.
12 oct. 2020 à 16 h 27
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 865
Quoting: kaljakori
How are people calling this a good contract? He has topped 50 points once and that was 5 years ago. His analytics are okay, but with that production he's a 3rd line guy.

I think he's a good player and I'd like to have him. But he's not 4x4,25 good.

He was on pace for 53 points this year and has been on pace for 50 three times in his career. He showed real talent back before the Kings started getting bad and in his short tenure with a different team he put up a point per game. You're either sleeping on his potential a good bit or you're just hating because the Leafs didn't get him.
Kotkaniemi15, OldNYIfan, NLidstrom and 2 others a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 16 h 30
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 679
Quoting: Club_de_Hockey_le_Canadien
He was on pace for 53 points this year and has been on pace for 50 three times in his career. He showed real talent back before the Kings started getting bad and in his short tenure with a different team he put up a point per game. You're either sleeping on his potential a good bit or you're just hating because the Leafs didn't get him.

What "potential"? The dude is 28, he is what he is. I know the value in playdriving numbers but when they don't translate to the scoresheet at some point, something's got to give. It's the same as Drouin. Do I think he's a good player? Yeah, sure, but somewhat underwhelming.

Oh and I'm 100000% not mad we didn't get him, wing is the least of our issues.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
12 oct. 2020 à 16 h 30
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
two years ago, maybe even last year this would have been a 6 year deal.
I think this offseason is only speeding up the weeding out of older contracts.

This is going to be the new norm.
12 oct. 2020 à 16 h 33
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Wow... much less than what I expected. Less than what he made in LA...

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage