SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed TJ Brodie (4 Years / $5,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 17
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,738
Toronto did make a move that beefed up the D just a little.
9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,880
So dubas doesn’t like physicality. Gets Simmonds. Can’t improve defence. Gets Brodie. Got Tavares, matthews, marner and nylander under contract. So if you still aren’t happy. Guess what you will never be happy. DAB
Random2152, OldNYIfan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Toronto did make a move that beefed up the D just a little.

If the weegar trade happens than

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Weegar
Lehtonen-Holl
9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
That's a lot of money.

Surprised there are no signing bonuses.
9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 23
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,738
Quoting: aadoyle
If the weegar trade happens than

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Weegar
Lehtonen-Holl

I mean it’s still below average but at least it’s not abysmal defensively.
9 oct. 2020 à 20 h 41
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,805
Leafs fans will still find a way to hate this.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 21 h 9
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516

Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 21 h 11
Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 349
So who are the Leafs trading next?
9 oct. 2020 à 21 h 56
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,982
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
So many nos but if he signed with any other team it would be an absolute steal I bet

Not at 5 mil per year...
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 3
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,752
Felt like a lock to stay in Calgary but I guess the Markstrom signing spelled exit for Brodie.

Also felt he would get more than 5 million on the open market, I dont hate this signing.

It is a D upgrade.
oneX, GenXHockey et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 24
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,191
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Were you guys ever in on Pietrangelo?

Recent Athletic article indicated that Toronto and Pietrangelo's agent talked and drew their lines regarding a signing. His agent indicated that he wasn't interested in a discount and that Toronto wasn't his first choice, so the Leafs focused on other options.

LSS: Leafs weren't in on Pietrangelo.
GenXHockey a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 26
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Bf3351
Leafs fans will still find a way to hate this.

I made a saying for this

So dubas doesn’t like physicality. gets Simmonds, . Can’t improve defence. Gets Brodie. Got Tavares, matthews, marner and nylander under contract. So if you still aren’t happy. Guess what you will never be happy. DAB

On the toughness front Perry could also potentially join

Plus we dont gotta protect him for seattle so if Dubas feels the match aint there seattle can have him
ZiggyPalffy a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 29
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

I wish toronto photoshopped their jerseys onto the players like other teams do when they acquire them

Seeing Simmonds and Brodie in blue and white is gonna be great
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 31
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
Contract is unconfirmed but so far no signing bonus, I like the buyout possibility if **** hit the fan
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte
Contract is unconfirmed but so far if no signing bonus, I like the buyout possibility

not buyout more like seattle bait

his NMC ends when seattle selects players. If Dubas protects Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott hes theirs for the taking.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 oct. 2020 à 22 h 53
Western Champs
Rejoint: sept. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 251
Quoting: aadoyle
not buyout more like seattle bait

his NMC ends when seattle selects players. If Dubas protects Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott hes theirs for the taking.

If they want to scare away Seattle, then overload the contract with signing bonus (contract unconfirmed we don't know yet)
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2020 à 3 h 42
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 679
This deal would get showered with praise for keeping the term down and cap hit at only 5.

The Krug contract is way riskier than this, but because **** Toronto apparently, this gets bombed instead.
10 oct. 2020 à 3 h 43
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: kaljakori
This deal would get showered with praise for keeping the term down and cap hit at only 5.

The Krug contract is way riskier than this, but because **** Toronto apparently, this gets bombed instead.

The reason this has so many yes's is because of Toronto bias. He's good, but not at that AAV and term
10 oct. 2020 à 10 h 40
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Typically I look at a deal in two ways:

First, is the player likely to provide as much total value to the team that signed him as they are paying on the deal: This is close, but the reality is, because Brodie doesn't provide any real offensive value (at least not high end), it's not likely to just get hot and massively outperform his deal on the offensive side of things. Defensively, it's very seldom a player all of a sudden gets massively better at that in their 30's, and since he's already being paid to be good defensively, it's unlikely he outperforms there either. Given that he is signed until 34, there is a bit of a better chance he underperforms the cap hit then there is that he outperforms it. This is simply because based on his skill set there is more room to under perform than there is to outperform. It's likely not massive, but chances are he's worth something closer to $4.25-$4.5M on a 4 year deal.

Secondly, is the fit. This is where the Leafs knocked it out of the park. He is good defensively, plays the right side, turns the puck over very very rarely (especially in the d zone), and he's not being paid for anything the Leafs can't use. This is especially important when it comes to getting good value out of your D. Morgan Rielly is a high end offensive weapon on the PP, so getting another PP1 type D means you are going to pay them to do something you don't need them to do, or they are going to take some value away from Rielly. Either way, you aren't getting full value for the addition. In this case, if Brodie is a $5M defender in year 1, they are getting their full $5M worth.

So I think the deal is likely to be a little bit of an overpayment versus what defenders like Brodie are worth, but the term ends when Matthews and Nylander's deals are up, so it won't interfere with big decisions down the road, it doesn't have NMC protection for the expansion draft, and he directly fits what the team needs, so overall it's a solid signing.
10 oct. 2020 à 11 h 36
Formerly Jamiepo
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: pharrow
They had no choice.

He's probably best suited to be a 2RD, but in TOR he's a 1RD and he'll get a pay bump from the 4 mil he probably should have got.

I don't know though for TOR. He's playing his off side. But he's use to it I guess.
At least they didn't get killed on term

Two things to point out here.

1. Brodie isn’t taking a pay cut (4.7m last year) after one of his best seasons.

2. Brodie does not play the left side. He was not forced to play the right side that is his position of preference.

I won’t know if I like this signing till Brodie plays next season. Are we getting the Brodie who played his last 130 games solid two way with great decision making. Or are we getting the impatient Brodie that makes gardiner proportionate gafs.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2020 à 12 h 43
Formerly Jamiepo
Modifié 10 oct. 2020 à 13 h 4
Quoting: HabsForEver
The reason this has so many yes's is because of Toronto bias. He's good, but not at that AAV and term

Quoting: HabsForEver

4 x 5m??? What is the issue with that? It’s a great contract. Brodie had a great season and probably earned something better.
OldNYIfan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2020 à 13 h 43
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
Quoting: Jamiepo
Two things to point out here.

1. Brodie isn’t taking a pay cut (4.7m last year) after one of his best seasons.

2. Brodie does not play the left side. He was not forced to play the right side that is his position of preference.

I won’t know if I like this signing till Brodie plays next season. Are we getting the Brodie who played his last 130 games solid two way with great decision making. Or are we getting the impatient Brodie that makes gardiner proportionate gafs.

you clearly didn't understand what I had said.
1st. The going rate for a 2nd pairing guy is 4 to 4.5 mil.
He's a second pairing guy. He's not a 1st pairing guy. But he'll be there for TOR, which is why he got a pay bump.
2nd. No matter how you flip it, he's still playing the off side, and that is an issue. No matter how long he's played there. He's still back handing pucks or playing set off. That changes the way the rest of the team plays.
10 oct. 2020 à 14 h 5
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: pharrow
you clearly didn't understand what I had said.
1st. The going rate for a 2nd pairing guy is 4 to 4.5 mil.
He's a second pairing guy. He's not a 1st pairing guy. But he'll be there for TOR, which is why he got a pay bump.
2nd. No matter how you flip it, he's still playing the off side, and that is an issue. No matter how long he's played there. He's still back handing pucks or playing set off. That changes the way the rest of the team plays.

Sorry, but your wrong in both points. Brodie is better on the right than the left.

5m is a great deal. He was making 4.7m last year and I hear not one complaint. Now he gets a 300k pay raise and it’s the end of the world. He signed that other deal years ago with a lower cap and not one complaint about Brodie being overpaid. Top pair RD in Calgary with no one arguing he doesn’t belong there soon as he puts in a leafs sweater he is instantly overpaid and playing to high in the lineup.

@Ledge_And_Dairy this is the issue with being a leafs fan. I have plenty of concerns about Brodie and his mental gafs. The contract, the side he plays on and the amount of minutes he can handle are not an issue.
10 oct. 2020 à 14 h 21
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 160
Quoting: Wqrrior
Congratulations Toronto - You made it so public on your needs that you get exactly what you wanted. At exactly the price everyone ELSE wanted.

Brodie is a Proven top 4 right D with good impacts both offensively and most importantly defensively at 5v5. The term isn't bad, 34 is not too old and 5 million AAV is fair, considering most teams overpay for good not great players in free agency I'll take fair value.

I can almost guarantee if this signing was not the leafs there would be waaaay more votes for this being a good signing than a bad one
OldNYIfan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
10 oct. 2020 à 14 h 26
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,510
Quoting: Jamiepo
Sorry, but your wrong in both points. Brodie is better on the right than the left.

5m is a great deal. He was making 4.7m last year and I hear not one complaint. Now he gets a 300k pay raise and it’s the end of the world. He signed that other deal years ago with a lower cap and not one complaint about Brodie being overpaid. Top pair RD in Calgary with no one arguing he doesn’t belong there soon as he puts in a leafs sweater he is instantly overpaid and playing to high in the lineup.

@Ledge_And_Dairy this is the issue with being a leafs fan. I have plenty of concerns about Brodie and his mental gafs. The contract, the side he plays on and the amount of minutes he can handle are not an issue.

Your concerns are totally justified, but calling him an overpaid 2nd pair guy is pure ignorance. Dont bother arguing with him its a waste of your time, its too late to turn back now anyways.
GenXHockey, OldNYIfan, Random2152 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage