Forums/NHL

Entry Draft Discussion Thread

7 oct. 2020 à 9 h 56
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Modifié 7 oct. 2020 à 10 h 40
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I wouldn’t call NJD a loser. Holtz is a great player, and Mercer was the BPA. Mukhamadullin was a bit off the board, but he wasn’t too far off.

MTL certainly isn’t a loser, since that was an appropriate spot for Guhle to be picked. The only thing is that this means they’re going to need to make some trades in the future when he and other prospects are NHL ready.

I also really like Anaheim’s draft. Drysdale will obviously be great, and Perreault could be the steal of the draft.

I also think that the Senators got good value out of their picks.

Ducks won round 1 IMO, I would’ve drafted the exact same players at those spots
7 oct. 2020 à 10 h 6
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Winners and losers of the draft, everyone?

Winners as of right now: NYR/LAK obvious reasons, I would say Ottawa, WPG, Nashville, Calgary. Ottawa got what they needed although Sanderson might have been a reach but he and drysdale were very close in this draft. WPG getting perfetti, Nash getting askarov (shocked), and Calgary trading down twice and still getting zary is crazy. I feel like they were in on mercer and once he was taken they traded back.

Losers: Buffalo, Montreal, Devils, Arizona
Buffalo for reaching on Quinn when the obvious choice was rossi. Montreal: guhle was projected to go around there but i havent been impressed with the other Guhle brother if its any indication of how kaiden plays this is a bad pick. Devils had the chance to go 3 for 3 and end up as one of the winners of the draft. then rangers snuck in and took schneider. Devils gm froze and didnt know what to do next, should have gone BPA instead they reached on a guy that should have been a mid to late 2nd rounder. Arizona for messing up the taylor hall trade and then getting draft sanctions posed against them.
7 oct. 2020 à 10 h 44
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Quoting: hanson493
Winners as of right now: NYR/LAK obvious reasons, I would say Ottawa, WPG, Nashville, Calgary. Ottawa got what they needed although Sanderson might have been a reach but he and drysdale were very close in this draft. WPG getting perfetti, Nash getting askarov (shocked), and Calgary trading down twice and still getting zary is crazy. I feel like they were in on mercer and once he was taken they traded back.

Losers: Buffalo, Montreal, Devils, Arizona
Buffalo for reaching on Quinn when the obvious choice was rossi. Montreal: guhle was projected to go around there but i havent been impressed with the other Guhle brother if its any indication of how kaiden plays this is a bad pick. Devils had the chance to go 3 for 3 and end up as one of the winners of the draft. then rangers snuck in and took schneider. Devils gm froze and didnt know what to do next, should have gone BPA instead they reached on a guy that should have been a mid to late 2nd rounder. Arizona for messing up the taylor hall trade and then getting draft sanctions posed against them.

There was a player in the 90s named Brent Gretzky ... he didn't last very long in the NHL, but he had a brother who played in the league (I can't remember his name, though, I think he played for Edmonton maybe), and I don't think Brent Gretzky's brother lasted very long in the league. I would assume he didn't because Brent didn't.
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2020 à 10 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Montreal: guhle was projected to go around there but i havent been impressed with the other Guhle brother if its any indication of how kaiden plays this is a bad pick.

I don’t know much about Brendan, but you can’t judge a player based on how their brother plays. See Jamie & Jordie Benn or Marcel & Marian Hossa. I like the player a lot, although the positional fit is weird.
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2020 à 10 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
Here’s how I did predicting each pick one at a time:

1. Alexis Lafrenière - ✅
2. Quinton Byfield - ✅
3. Tim Stuetzle - ✅
4. Jake Sanderson - ❌
5. Marco Rossi - ❌
6. Jamie Drysdale - ✅
7. Jack Quinn - ❌
8. Cole Perfetti - ❌
9. Marco Rossi - ✅
10. Cole Perfetti - ✅
11. Iaroslav Askarov - ✅
12. Kaiden Guhle - ❌
13. Seth Jarvis - ✅
14. Dawson Mercer - ❌
15. Braden Schneider - ❌
16. Dawson Mercer - ❌
17. Dawson Mercer - ❌
18. Dawson Mercer - ✅
19. Hendrix Lapierre - ❌
20. Hendrix Lapierre - ❌
21. Jacob Perreault - ❌
22. Jacob Perreault - ❌
23. Noel Gunler - ❌
24. Connor Zary - ✅
25. John-Jason Peterka - ❌
26. Helge Grans - ❌
27. William Wallinder - ❌
28. Helge Grans - ❌
29. Mavrik Bourque - ❌
30. Mavrik Bourque - ✅
31. John-Jason Peterka - ❌

11/31 ain’t bad, especially considering my brother only got 4/31 correct.
7 oct. 2020 à 11 h 2
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ICantHaveFunWithMyUsername
This draft was one of the better drafts in my opinion. Reminds me of the 2003 draft, but not many trades were made this year like there were in 2003. Had a ton of surprises but I kinda knew those were coming. Kings took Byfield over Stutzle because of readiness to play in the NHL right away. After making an Armchair GM on Sunday night, I began to realize, holy ****, they're gonna get Byfield, but I still kept my stance. I also think by drafting Byfield over Stutzle, they didn't make any mistake. They knew he was available and they took a chance on him. Also the sense of having a black icon being drafted second overall was kinda what drove them, I think, especially in a time of BLM and stuff like that, not to make it all political and whatnot.

Well, if Byfield went 3rd he still would have been the highest drafted black player in NHL history, I believe.
7 oct. 2020 à 11 h 21
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I don’t know much about Brendan, but you can’t judge a player based on how their brother plays. See Jamie & Jordie Benn or Marcel & Marian Hossa. I like the player a lot, although the positional fit is weird.

I mean theres usually one thats better one thats worse. hayes brothers, neidermeyer brothers etc. from the looks of it kaiden should be the better brother of the 2 based solely on offensive output vs overall output. But montreal taking a Left Shot Dman at 16 is a shocker to mean. i thought there were other bpa at their spot that would have been a better choice for them especially at winger to pair with kotka and suzuki in the next few year but i guess they need some organizational depth at LD too?
7 oct. 2020 à 11 h 23
Below Market Value
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 1,324
Usually the winner of round one is a team with multiple picks. However, most of the teams that had multiple picks made at least one pick that I was not high on.

Ottawa: Stutzle was a great pick; Sanderson went too high for my taste, I don't think he should've been drafted inside the top ten; Greig was a fine pick, although I think there were better options on the board.

New York Rangers: Lafreniere was a slam dunk, obviously; I didn't like Schneider going as high as he did, he was more suited for the back end of the first round in my opinion.

New Jersey: Holtz is a great fit for the Devils, they needed a goal scorer to go along side Hughes/Hischier and they got the best one in the draft; Mercer is another great pick; Mukhamadullin was very off the board, which I guess is alright to do when you have three first round picks, but it still wasn't to my liking.

Anaheim: Drysdale was an excellent pick; Perreault was another pick I really liked for Anaheim.

In terms of value, Minnesota and Winnipeg are the obvious choices with Rossi and Perfetti. Dallas and Calgary also got someone that probably should've gone higher in Bourque and Zary.

I'd probably say Anaheim was my winner.
7 oct. 2020 à 11 h 41
Black Lives Matter
They just said "lots of trades are going to happen today" on the draft show lol ... now we're waiting for the "way less trades than expected" quote later today lol.
7 oct. 2020 à 11 h 55
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Oh man Peterka could go to the Sharks here, that would b perfect
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 17
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Edmonton confirms that they're keeping their third round pick in the Neal-Lucic swap.

Very minor detail, but given that they had a lot more time to announce this (and potentially play games with the Flames' management), I think they're going to look to trade it up into the 2nd round.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 27
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 301
Well, if Byfield went 3rd he still would have been the highest drafted black player in NHL history, I believe.

Well true, I think there was more pressure on the Kings given they were playing in an American market in a sense.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 34
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ICantHaveFunWithMyUsername
Well true, I think there was more pressure on the Kings given they were playing in an American market in a sense.

While it's great to see Byfield break that record, that's not why they picked him. If Stutzle were black and Byfield wasn't, they still would have picked Byfield. There's always pressure on teams to make a certain pick, and they always just do what's best for the team.
Sonuvabirch69 a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 34
Black Lives Matter
Well, this next pick is going to be all everyone's talking about today lol (Toronto)
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Former Hockey Fan
I mean theres usually one thats better one thats worse. hayes brothers, neidermeyer brothers etc. from the looks of it kaiden should be the better brother of the 2 based solely on offensive output vs overall output. But montreal taking a Left Shot Dman at 16 is a shocker to mean. i thought there were other bpa at their spot that would have been a better choice for them especially at winger to pair with kotka and suzuki in the next few year but i guess they need some organizational depth at LD too?

We certainly don’t need more LHD prospect depth. We currently have:

Kaiden Guhle (1st, 16th overall)
Alexander Romanov (2nd, 38th overall)
Jayden Struble (2nd, 46th overall)
Mattias Norlinder (2nd, 64th overall)
Jordan Harris (3rd, 71st overall)
Gianni Fairbrother (3rd, 77th overall)
Jacob LeGuerrier (5th, 126th overall)
Kieran Ruscheinski (7th, 206th overall)

Currently 44% of our reserve list is LHD.
rangersandislesfan et hanson493 a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 36
Black Lives Matter
Jan Mysak is probably going 44th to Ottawa
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 36
Black Lives Matter
Well, this next pick is going to be all everyone's talking about today lol (Toronto)

nvm
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 45
Black Lives Matter
I think Detroit is trading down ... someone might be trying to move up to get Jan Mysak.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 50
Black Lives Matter
Okay, LA has to be picking Mysak.
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 51
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 301
While it's great to see Byfield break that record, that's not why they picked him. If Stutzle were black and Byfield wasn't, they still would have picked Byfield. There's always pressure on teams to make a certain pick, and they always just do what's best for the team.

I know it’s not why they picked him, I’m just saying
7 oct. 2020 à 12 h 56
Black Lives Matter
3 straight picks from the USNTDP ... this is reminding me of last year lol.
7 oct. 2020 à 13 h 14
Black Lives Matter
Hey, I picked Ponomaryov in the 1st round of the 2020 GM Game draft.
7 oct. 2020 à 13 h 15
Black Lives Matter
Good pick by Carolina IMO.
7 oct. 2020 à 13 h 17
Black Lives Matter
Poirier is still available ...
AndrewLadd a aimé ceci.
7 oct. 2020 à 13 h 38