SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Learn from Tampa

28 sept. 2020 à 23 h 18
V5 ANA and BOG
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 691
2013: The Lightning are awful and wind up with a top 3 pick... in Stamkos's 5th season
2017: The Lightning are eliminated from playoff contention on the last day of the season
2019: The Lightning are swept by the Blue Jackets in the first round
2020: The Lightning are champions

The key here is that they were patient. They didn't overreact to setbacks along the way. It would have been easy in 2017 or 2019 to point fingers, fire the coach, shop Kucherov or Stamkos... but they resisted the urge. Because they knew they had something good. And at long last they are rewarded for it. Same goes for the caps in 2018.

Same goes for the Leafs. They have something good in Matthews, Tavares, and Marner and Nylander too. Keep them. Be patient. Continue building. A knee-jerk reaction to the series against Columbus won't do it. If you have a good core, build around it. You don't have to ruin it to win.
Trickster et oneX a aimé ceci.
29 sept. 2020 à 14 h 24
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 317
Agreed that you need to be patient but you need to keep tweaking to get better.

The Defense is no where near good enough and they need some more sand paper. This is not a knee jerk reaction to any of the playoff loses. I am one who thinks for the most part they played well in all of the series and losing vs Washington and Boston who won the cup and lost in the finals is not that bad.
NR1203 et Trickster a aimé ceci.
30 sept. 2020 à 11 h 13
Démarrer sujet
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: kous
Agreed that you need to be patient but you need to keep tweaking to get better.

The Defense is no where near good enough and they need some more sand paper. This is not a knee jerk reaction to any of the playoff loses. I am one who thinks for the most part they played well in all of the series and losing vs Washington and Boston who won the cup and lost in the finals is not that bad.

I 100% agree about tweaking. But trading Nylander or Marner isn't tweaking... and that's kind of what I was getting at when I posted this
Trickster a aimé ceci.
30 sept. 2020 à 12 h 51
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 317
Quoting: NR1203
I 100% agree about tweaking. But trading Nylander or Marner isn't tweaking... and that's kind of what I was getting at when I posted this

No one inside the leafs is thinking about trading them. but if they lose next year I can see the pressure to move 1
Trickster a aimé ceci.
30 sept. 2020 à 18 h 31
Démarrer sujet
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: kous
No one inside the leafs is thinking about trading them. but if they lose next year I can see the pressure to move 1

Yeah I know... this was addressed to people on here. But even if they lose next year, I wouldn't do it.
1 oct. 2020 à 13 h 54
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,744
Very valid points you made and I'm on board.

During the course of those years, Tampa did make some changes on the team too.
That point is not to be slept on either.
1 oct. 2020 à 15 h 56
Démarrer sujet
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: Trickster
Very valid points you made and I'm on board.

During the course of those years, Tampa did make some changes on the team too.
That point is not to be slept on either.

Yeah 100%. But the core of players (Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman) stayed through it all.
3 oct. 2020 à 23 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,733
honestly the leafs to me are the capitals. Capitals struggled for years and finally overcame the penguins to win. My theory is they pass round 1 you will probs find them in the finals.
NR1203 a aimé ceci.
5 oct. 2020 à 11 h 50
Démarrer sujet
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: aadoyle
honestly the leafs to me are the capitals. Capitals struggled for years and finally overcame the penguins to win. My theory is they pass round 1 you will probs find them in the finals.

Yeah they just need to get over that hump. Just once and then they'll be good.
6 oct. 2020 à 2 h 0
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
One very glaring difference between Tampa and Toronto is a top 10 D in the league. Leafs do not have a Victor Hedman on this roster which is why there's so much discussion around signing or not signing Pietrangelo.
6 oct. 2020 à 22 h 23
Démarrer sujet
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: oneX
One very glaring difference between Tampa and Toronto is a top 10 D in the league. Leafs do not have a Victor Hedman on this roster which is why there's so much discussion around signing or not signing Pietrangelo.

The difference there is that the Leafs would be signing Pietrangelo right as he leaves his prime. If they give him a 7-year contract, they'd be lucky to get 3 years without him starting to decline sharply.
7 oct. 2020 à 1 h 49
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,601
Quoting: NR1203
The difference there is that the Leafs would be signing Pietrangelo right as he leaves his prime. If they give him a 7-year contract, they'd be lucky to get 3 years without him starting to decline sharply.

Sure I'm not denying that. He could just as well play at a high level much like guys like Lidstrom did late into their career.

It's a tough call because regardless of how anyone sees this, the window to win is as long as Matthews is under contract and top D just are not developed quickly as the Leafs need one to.
NR1203 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage