SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Jeff Petry (4 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

25 sept. 2020 à 16 h 42
PLZ FIRE BERGEVIN
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 43
Quoting: HabsForEver
Yes they regress but then look at guys like Giordano/Chara/Weber/Suter who can play well into their 30's. Defensemen rely more on their IQ and passing skills which doesn't really regress. They don't need speed to play their position.

I agree some do but some don't it comes down to how they play
25 sept. 2020 à 16 h 47
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,980
Who do we have at RHD that proves they can play consistantly in the top 6 let alone the top 4 and top 2 when needed? We have nobody close to Petry

Trade Petry for a top RHD prospect, and sign a guy like TVR or DeMelo. I think that could’ve worked well for them
25 sept. 2020 à 16 h 49
Pete
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 162
What? They signed him? Are they complete? One year more and they could bring way better RD ...
25 sept. 2020 à 16 h 59
25th coming up
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 268

Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 1
25th coming up
Quoting: Pete
What? They signed him? Are they complete? One year more and they could bring way better RD ...

Who?!
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 3
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,693
Quoting: mhockey91
Trade Petry for a top RHD prospect, and sign a guy like TVR or DeMelo. I think that could’ve worked well for them

Yeah just sign this guy or that guy isnt an option for MTL especially when they get lucky and do, everyone says they overpaid because they have to to get players to even come here. If snapping your finger and signing any player as long as you make a realistic offer was an option, Habs would have had a much better roster these past years.

Also going from Petry to TVR is not even realistic. The team finished 23rd with Petry. Theyre supposed to compete with TVR instead? No, that wouldnt make any sense. Even if it were Demelo. Petry is leagues better than those two guys. Habs want to try and compete now. (Not what i would have done but thats what they want)
jpsnow13 et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 4
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,012
He's gonna be 33 when the contract starts and 37 when it ends. This is gonna end badly for MTL eventually.

On the plus side, by the time it starts to look bad, Alzner will be off the books.
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 19
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240

Who's going to give us a top RHD Prospect for an expiring UFA? Also it's likely we won't be able to sign either guy unless we overpay
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 20
Quoting: EmpressKayla
He's gonna be 33 when the contract starts and 37 when it ends. This is gonna end badly for MTL eventually.

On the plus side, by the time it starts to look bad, Alzner will be off the books.

Considering he didn't play heavy minutes until he was 30 and has faced no major injuries... he will be fine
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 28
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: Jo_Habs77

imagine being this dull and humorless
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 38
Quoting: mondo

Just as dull and humorless as saying Montreal is stuck in the 1st round
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 45
25th coming up

*humourless*

1 -- 9 -- 6 -- 7
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 50
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,395
Quoting: F50marco
Im happy with it. I would have prefered higher cap but one less year of term but its not worth losing sleep over. Petry has been borderline top pairing for us. Yeah hes getting old but his foot speed is still great. Had it showed signs of decline, i might be a little worried.

Even if he declines a bit, he'll still be a top 4 and considering UFAs arent lining up to sign in MTL, this is more than fair. What was the other option? Play Noah Juulsen instead? Sign Pietrangelo?

There werent any other realistic options for the Habs and resigning good players who WANT to stay should be paramount for the Habs. Its hard enough to get them here in the first place.

The Edmundson's deal and then Petry's signing are telling me that the asked price for Dumba was too high.

That was the best option IMO (and pretty much only one.. Maybe Risto?), but hey, it takes two to tango.
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 55
Quoting: jpsnow13
The Edmundson's deal and then Petry's signing are telling me that the asked price for Dumba was too high.

That was the best option IMO (and pretty much only one.. Maybe Risto?), but hey, it takes two to tango.

I'd rather Petry signed for 8 years than Risto for 2
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 58
Pete
Rejoint: janv. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 162
Who?!

Ristolainen, Parayko, DeAngelo
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 59
Quoting: Pete
Ristolainen, Parayko, DeAngelo

Why would they come to Montreal? Why waste the assets
25 sept. 2020 à 17 h 59
torontos finest
*humourless*

1 -- 9 -- 6 -- 7

already said 1967 my dude. could've responded with "4-1" or "zamboni driver" to keep things fresh
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 5
already said 1967 my dude. could've responded with "4-1" or "zamboni driver" to keep things fresh

We could keep going for 1000 comments but I'm sure you already know how that organisation has become a disgrace
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 22
torontos finest
We could keep going for 1000 comments but I'm sure you already know how that organisation has become a disgrace

they've been a lot better in recent years. they didn't cut salaries through the pandemic like the habs did.

i don't need to clutch my pearls everytime someone has the audacity to insult my team like you do. i made a joke about how toronto and montreal would be stuck as bubble teams, and you and the other nimrod took it as high treason. lighten up a little.
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 32
they've been a lot better in recent years. they didn't cut salaries through the pandemic like the habs did.

i don't need to clutch my pearls everytime someone has the audacity to insult my team like you do. i made a joke about how toronto and montreal would be stuck as bubble teams, and you and the other nimrod took it as high treason. lighten up a little.

wasn't aware I "clutched my pearls". Thanks for the heads up. Maybe stay away from the Habs players if you can't handle the responses.
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 38
Who's going to give us a top RHD Prospect for an expiring UFA? Also it's likely we won't be able to sign either guy unless we overpay

in terms of value, a guy like Petry could bring in Liligren+ from Toronto. Im just saying there were multiple routes you could've taken with Petry. the contract extension is fine. im not saying they overpaid for him. hes a damn good D man, but I just keep reiterating the point that since the 1990s the habs have never committed to a true rebuild. they've just been treading water ever since, and they have never been a true cup contender because of that. the best way to the top, is through the bottom
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 40
Quoting: F50marco
Yeah just sign this guy or that guy isnt an option for MTL especially when they get lucky and do, everyone says they overpaid because they have to to get players to even come here. If snapping your finger and signing any player as long as you make a realistic offer was an option, Habs would have had a much better roster these past years.

Also going from Petry to TVR is not even realistic. The team finished 23rd with Petry. Theyre supposed to compete with TVR instead? No, that wouldnt make any sense. Even if it were Demelo. Petry is leagues better than those two guys. Habs want to try and compete now. (Not what i would have done but thats what they want)

thats exactly my point!!! habs shouldn't be trying to "compete now". they should be trying to tank and land a legit superstar through the draft. the habs have been treading water for decades and they have nothing to show for it. they should've committed to a rebuild years ago. Habs = Minnesota wild
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 41
in terms of value, a guy like Petry could bring in Liligren+ from Toronto. Im just saying there were multiple routes you could've taken with Petry. the contract extension is fine. im not saying they overpaid for him. hes a damn good D man, but I just keep reiterating the point that since the 1990s the habs have never committed to a true rebuild. they've just been treading water ever since, and they have never been a true cup contender because of that. the best way to the top, is through the bottom

Liljegren isn't a top prospect and that significantly increases a division rivals chance at winning a cup. Makes no sense. Not like we are trading Price or Weber so trading Petry doesn't make much of a difference
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 42
Liljegren isn't a top prospect and that significantly increases a division rivals chance at winning a cup. Makes no sense. Not like we are trading Price or Weber so trading Petry doesn't make much of a difference

I mean hes a very good prospect. and I said in terms of value. not saying it would happen because of being divisional rivals. and yeah, no one wants price/ weber cause of their contracts, but they could still do a better job at tanking even with them
25 sept. 2020 à 18 h 43
thats exactly my point!!! habs shouldn't be trying to "compete now". they should be trying to tank and land a legit superstar through the draft. the habs have been treading water for decades and they have nothing to show for it. they should've committed to a rebuild years ago. Habs = Minnesota wild

Habs and the Wild are two completely different situations. Minnesota is a bunch of old aging Veterans signed for terribe contracts and no prospect core. Montreal has a mix of veterans on long term contracts and an influx of young nhl players as well as one of the best prospect cores in the league and 3 2nds this year.

Not comparable

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage