SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Minnesota Wild

What Trading Staal must mean?

16 sept. 2020 à 18 h 4
Rejoint: déc. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 817
Okay, so I'm not going to lie, I did not see this coming. I thought Staal would've been in a package for a better center or traded for prospects. This trade through me off. So my question to all my fellow Wild fans...What do you think Bill Guerin is up to? Cirelli offer sheet? Potential other trades? Free Agency? I know we've talked about this before but that was before the Bjugstad and Johansson trades. I feel like we need to revisit this topic.
16 sept. 2020 à 18 h 59
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
Guerin lost his mind? It's an awful trade.
FloppyBiscuit et mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2020 à 19 h 45
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 420
I don't like it and as of now I don't get it. Hopefully a big move is in the future. If that move is signing Galchenyuk to fill the hole, this will be an alcohol heavy season.
mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2020 à 21 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: FloppyBiscuit
I don't like it and as of now I don't get it. Hopefully a big move is in the future. If that move is signing Galchenyuk to fill the hole, this will be an alcohol heavy season.

I'm not waiting until the season. I'm starting tonight
FloppyBiscuit a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2020 à 23 h 16
Hockey Fan13
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,487
My thoughts are they can't count on Bjugstad for a full season so they need another guy to cover the 3C when he is out. Staal can't play in Dean's system he is slowing down. I feel like the Wild accomplished 2 things by giving Staal away. 1 Buffalo won't be bidding against Wild for Cirelli or other centers. 2 Guerin gave a new GM a clear win for his first trade so now he owes him one. In my opinion Guerin taking Bjugstad was a little bit of a returning the favor for the nice win Guerin got in the Zucker trade.
mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
17 sept. 2020 à 3 h 38
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,641
This is the 2nd time Guerin has looked at something Fenton has done and went "hold my beer". First was the Spurgeon signing after the Zucc signing, now it's the Staal/MarJo trade after the Nino/Rask trade. At least the Nino/Rask trade freed up cap not added to it.
OutCold13 et mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
17 sept. 2020 à 10 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Paul13
My thoughts are they can't count on Bjugstad for a full season so they need another guy to cover the 3C when he is out. Staal can't play in Dean's system he is slowing down. I feel like the Wild accomplished 2 things by giving Staal away. 1 Buffalo won't be bidding against Wild for Cirelli or other centers. 2 Guerin gave a new GM a clear win for his first trade so now he owes him one. In my opinion Guerin taking Bjugstad was a little bit of a returning the favor for the nice win Guerin got in the Zucker trade.

I sure hope you're right. My first 2 thoughts were: 1.) A trade must be in the works for a center where we give up wingers (at this point no clue who that'd be). OR 2.) The plan is to go all in on an offer sheet for Cirelli (the only logical one that we even have a chance at). However, I'm not so sure that either of those two options are going to happen. Guerin is pretty candid in his interviews and he said he brought Marcus to play Center...so if he had intentions of making additional moves, he wouldn't have come out and claimed him to be a center. The reason I believe that is because he also said the youngsters and Rask need more playing time. So unless he gets an offer he can't refuse...this is most likely going to be our Center depth:

Eriksson Ek
Johansson
Bjugstad
Rask

I don't know what order they'll be in but if this truly is our Center Depth this season...Gold help us all
OutCold13 a aimé ceci.
17 sept. 2020 à 11 h 2
Hockey Fan13
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,487
Quoting: mnwild1790
I sure hope you're right. My first 2 thoughts were: 1.) A trade must be in the works for a center where we give up wingers (at this point no clue who that'd be). OR 2.) The plan is to go all in on an offer sheet for Cirelli (the only logical one that we even have a chance at). However, I'm not so sure that either of those two options are going to happen. Guerin is pretty candid in his interviews and he said he brought Marcus to play Center...so if he had intentions of making additional moves, he wouldn't have come out and claimed him to be a center. The reason I believe that is because he also said the youngsters and Rask need more playing time. So unless he gets an offer he can't refuse...this is most likely going to be our Center depth:

Eriksson Ek
Johansson
Bjugstad
Rask

I don't know what order they'll be in but if this truly is our Center Depth this season...Gold help us all

I just got caught up on what Guerin said in his zoom call after the trade. He is usually pretty honest but the Rask comments just don't work in my mind so I still believe he was doing a lot of bluffing.
mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
17 sept. 2020 à 12 h 10
Démarrer sujet
I just got caught up on what Guerin said in his zoom call after the trade. He is usually pretty honest but the Rask comments just don't work in my mind so I still believe he was doing a lot of bluffing.

That's what I'm hoping but so far, he's delivered on what he's said his intentions are. And he keeps saying he won't "commit" to Dumba staying here long-term because he doesn't want to make a promise he can't keep. It's that side of him that makes me worry that he is telling the truth about his intentions. He seems too honorable to bluff the media. He usually just stays silent or says no comment when something comes up that he doesn't feel like sharing to the media just yet.

Sure do hope that he's bluffing though
OutCold13 a aimé ceci.
23 sept. 2020 à 9 h 36
14m in dead cap
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,043
1 Buffalo won't be bidding against Wild for Cirelli or other centers.

I hadn't really considered that as a possibility, it seems too clever to be the case honestly but I certainly hope you're right. I honestly don't see a Cirelli offer sheet happening, both because OS are extremely rare to begin with and also because Guerin sets himself up to have someone OS Fiala next summer in retaliation.

I think this was nothing more than Guerin wanting to shake up the room and try to break the "country club" atmosphere. Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere, so the only veteran 35+ he could really deal was Staal. Between that and letting Koivu go, guessing he's hoping the guys left behind take the message. If that was his intent, I wish he would have just sent Staal away for picks. Retain salary if you need to, but someone would have given him picks for a rental 2C or 3C at Staal's cap hit. If Johansson was his guy, he seriously couldn't have had Buffalo add a mid-round pick since they were getting the better player and lower cap hit?
OutCold13 et mnwild1790 a aimé ceci.
23 sept. 2020 à 10 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: JayTea
I hadn't really considered that as a possibility, it seems too clever to be the case honestly but I certainly hope you're right. I honestly don't see a Cirelli offer sheet happening, both because OS are extremely rare to begin with and also because Guerin sets himself up to have someone OS Fiala next summer in retaliation.

I think this was nothing more than Guerin wanting to shake up the room and try to break the "country club" atmosphere. Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere, so the only veteran 35+ he could really deal was Staal. Between that and letting Koivu go, guessing he's hoping the guys left behind take the message. If that was his intent, I wish he would have just sent Staal away for picks. Retain salary if you need to, but someone would have given him picks for a rental 2C or 3C at Staal's cap hit. If Johansson was his guy, he seriously couldn't have had Buffalo add a mid-round pick since they were getting the better player and lower cap hit?

100% agree. Well, the last time we did a straight up 1 for 1 trade, we won. This one feels more Rask/Niederreiter, but lets hope for more Fiala/Granlund results. Sure could've used those picks though...

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage