(MTL/CAR) - 2020 5th round pick for Edmundson

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 50
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,240
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
I never get why teams trade for UFA rights. This gives them more leverage in negotiating and drives up the price due to the risk of them not signing and losing the pick.

It gives Montreal 3 weeks to sign a guy who they likely already have a handshake agreement with.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 50
Quoting: justaBoss
Any time you're getting something from a guy you've already decided to let go you become an instant winner.

I guess that's a perspective to have and the Canes are winning because of that, but that doesn't mean Montreal lose here
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 51
Am Yisrael Chai
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,702
Quoting: HabsForEver
It gives Montreal 3 weeks to sign a guy who they likely already have a handshake agreement with.

If they have a handshake agreement, why throw away a 5th. Makes me think they wanna discuss early and not that they have something done.
WellIDK a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 52
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,448
I guess that's a perspective to have and the Canes are winning because of that, but that doesn't mean Montreal lose here

Canes definitely wins here. For MTL the case is very circumstantial.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 52
Le patriote
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,369
Quoting: mnet
Why the **** did MB feel the need to get his signing rights?

well we have a pending trade on hand here and it's first time since Subban trade that I can say that MB will blast something outta nowhere .... #marchesseault/domi?
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 53
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 232

There's no reason to buy those 3 weeks if you know he's going to sign with you anyway. So no way there's a handshake agreement. Or it's poor asset management
pinslack a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 53
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
If they have a handshake agreement, why throw away a 5th. Makes me think they wanna discuss early and not that they have something done.

Because it guarantees they get the player. A lot can change leading up to FA. Either party can back out and then Montreal doesn't get him and then they have to start looking for another player. It's not like losing a 5th is going to hurt us.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 54
Quoting: justaBoss
Canes definitely wins here. For MTL the case is very circumstantial.

I mean they got a 5th round pick for a 4/5 guy so to each their own.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 54
Le patriote
Quoting: Wqrrior
We all knew Carolina wasn't bringing him back - so it's a very intelligent move to get whatever they can for him. This makes the MTL blue line a bit of a questionmark next year. Lots of bodies for 6 spots.

we are moving up with our rookie pool with perhaps a trade incoming !! Love to see Ed with us beast PK !!
HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 55
Quoting: WellIDK
There's no reason to buy those 3 weeks if you know he's going to sign with you anyway. So no way there's a handshake agreement. Or it's poor asset management

Canes just traded a 4/5 guy for a 5th. That's poor asset management. Bergevin just traded 1 of his 2 5ths for a 4/5 guy and still has 11 picks in this years draft. That's good asset management
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 58
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,582
So.....this HAS to boost DeHaan and Maatta's value, right???
habitantlecolon a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 16 h 59
Canes just traded a 4/5 guy for a 5th. That's poor asset management. Bergevin just traded 1 of his 2 5ths for a 4/5 guy and still has 11 picks in this years draft. That's good asset management

You're overvaluing Edmundson. He's a 3rd pairing player with really bad underlaying stats at ES. He's a 3rd pairing PK player. Carolina wouldn't resign him anyway because they got plenty of better defensemen and he'll be an expensive 3rd pairing guy. Montreal traded a 5th for a FA. And the Habs just gave him leverage in the negotiation process since a team wouldn't trade for his signing rights unless they really want him
habitantlecolon et Random2152 a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 0
25th coming up
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 268
Montreal trying to package away Mete? Cause with Romanov coming, where's Edmundson's spot on this team?
habitantlecolon et Boubou79 a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,724
So with this move

Chariot-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Edmonson-Mete

guess they want Romanov in the AHL to settle in
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 2
You're overvaluing Edmundson. He's a 3rd pairing player with really bad underlaying stats at ES. He's a 3rd pairing PK player. Carolina wouldn't resign him anyway because they got plenty of better defensemen and he'll be an expensive 3rd pairing guy. Montreal traded a 5th for a FA. And the Habs just gave him leverage in the negotiation process since a team wouldn't trade for his signing rights unless they really want him

He averaged 20 MInutes TOI/Games with St.Louis and 18 with Carolina. Those aren't 3rd pairing numbers. I'm not trying to argue he's a star here, but he's also easily worth a 5th round pick. He was a big part of what Carolina got for Faulk (I know Bokk was the main piece), Montreal is gaining value here while Carolina is losing value. You can argue about Carolina letting Edmundson go in FA, but that's because they can't manage their cap situation.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 2
Quoting: Jo_Habs77
Montreal trying to package away Mete? Cause with Romanov coming, where's Edmundson's spot on this team?

Yeah, I can see both Kulak and Mete being traded in the near future.
Jo_Habs77 et habitantlecolon a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 3
Quoting: aadoyle
So with this move

Chariot-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Edmonson-Mete

guess they want Romanov in the AHL to settle in

I'd say

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak/Mete-Mete/Fleury/Juulsen

If they think Romanov is ready, then Mete/Kulak gets traded
habitantlecolon et Boubou79 a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 7
He averaged 20 MInutes TOI/Games with St.Louis and 18 with Carolina. Those aren't 3rd pairing numbers. I'm not trying to argue he's a star here, but he's also easily worth a 5th round pick. He was a big part of what Carolina got for Faulk (I know Bokk was the main piece), Montreal is gaining value here while Carolina is losing value. You can argue about Carolina letting Edmundson go in FA, but that's because they can't manage their cap situation.

He got 15 minutes of ES TOI. Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton and Skjei (though in 7 games) played over 17 minutes at ES. And Edmundson played on the 2nd PK unit (averaging almost 3 minutes still, it's why he still played 18 minutes per game)
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 8
Le patriote
Quoting: Jo_Habs77

5th playing with one of Fleury or Juulsen. Habs will knock everything next years and become a new kind of bruins. CJ and MB are on set in this one, it's gonna be hard to plays against us next year!
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 9
CHI NYI
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,253
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
Karl Alzner 2.0?

Great call
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 14
He got 15 minutes of ES TOI. Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton and Skjei (though in 7 games) played over 17 minutes at ES. And Edmundson played on the 2nd PK unit (averaging almost 3 minutes still, it's why he still played 18 minutes per game)

Alright, ES is not TOI. I know he didn't play top 4 even strength, but that doesn't mean he was one of the top 4 defensemen used in the game. Although, with those defensemen, Edmundson shouldn't even be close to TOI with any of them, yet he was.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 17
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 51
Well it isn't weird that his GA/60 minutes is better than Slavin and Pesce. They played more minutes (like +3 min ES and .5 minutes SH) and vs better competition. Edmundson got 3rd pairing minutes at ES with way worse underlaying stats than any other defenseman on the Canes. Sure, he can play valuable minutes at PK. But he's not going to improve their defense overall and because of this trade, Edmundson got the leverage during the negotiations

You need to put this in context of who the Habs currently have to field their special units. Clearly they are looking for more size/PK ability, even if that means second unit PK. Chiarot is the only "fit" to this ideal. As much as Habs fans would like to think Romanov can step in and just demolish everyone, that's not happening. Mete isn't going to grow half a foot overnight. Weber isn't getting younger. Petry is focused on offense. Kulak isn't played on the PK (for what it's worth). Need I go on? Sure they probably could have waited for FA to start but I don't blame MB for using one of his later picks to get a head start.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 17
Mentions "j'aime": 246
You literally cannot use all those draft picks they have, for SPC purposes. Rather have a 3rd pair dman than a 5th with their haul
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 18
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Per the new CBA, you aren't allowed to add conditions that depend on if you resign a guy or not.

Yup. Picks don't change now based on signing. Their based on stats/game played only.
12 sept. 2020 à 17 h 19
AwesomeMatthews
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,013
Quoting: bhavikp27
First thought I had

I mean at least they didn't trade a draft pick to sign Alzner to that awful contract.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage