Forums/Armchair-GM

What if we didnt sign JT

Créé par: WN88
Équipe: 2020-21 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 11 sept. 2020
Publié: 11 sept. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Just curious to know what other fans think about the Tavares signing... although he is amazing, he has clearly been on the decline and I genuinely believe the leafs would've been much better off without signing him. Kadri was a great 2nd centre on a team-friendly contract and we already had a superstar centre in Matthews. Signing Tavares has clearly created holes in our team such as defense. Perhaps Nylander, Matthews and Marner sign for less if Tavares doesn't set his contract as a standard.
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
1881 500 000 $75 409 783 $0 $400 000 $6 090 217 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 3
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 4
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 5
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 5
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 4
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 3
821 667 $821 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 4
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 4
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance400 000 $$400K)
DD
RFA - 2
1 650 000 $1 650 000 $
G
UFA - 2
894 167 $894 167 $
DG
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
700 000 $700 000 $
DG
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
11 sept. 2020 à 22 h 53
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,589
I think it was a decent signing TBH. You have two top centers for the next 4 years. Yes, to allocate 10mil in 3 forwards imo isn’t that smart but you have your forwards “set”. I don’t remember if there was “another guy” that year he was signed but I know he was the big fish. But I’m an outsider so I don’t really know
11 sept. 2020 à 22 h 54
Terry_AkiSauce
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,045
People just claim hes on a decline but realistically had a career year last season and was a ppg this year while being a good leader and our captain. The contract will hurt in 3-4 years but I have no problem with it as of right now
Shanesaw9 a aimé ceci.
11 sept. 2020 à 22 h 56
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,117
Here's the problem: everyone talks about how getting JT stopped them from getting a defenseman. What defenseman though? Who was on the market that would be worth passing up on JT? Pietrangelo? Nobody is passing on JT to gamble on Pietrangelo ending up in FA 2 years later
Britishbulldog a aimé ceci.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 4
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,462
Signing JT was never a problem. Leafs for no apparent reason overpaid for Nylander, Matthews and Marner when you look at comparable RFA and their salary and term.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 6
Am Yisrael Chai
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,702
I think it really costed them. How are you going to afford to keep Rielly? Andersen? Hyman? With some big ELC coming up like Robertson? Lily? Sandin? Dubas should've kept Matthews and Kadri as their top 2 centers, shored up the defense, then add more offense. His chalkboard read "Tavares" before anything that actually needed work.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 8
wpg
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,028
It was worth end of story, if such a big name go UFA u go for it, the leadership he provides is invaluable
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 11
Rejoint: nov. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 64
With the exception of you saying he’s in decline, you’re not wrong with what you’re saying in hindsight. Definitely possible it reset the numbers for Matthews and Marner. And no way do you move Kadri without having JT there, but how do you not go after him? I didn’t think at the time he was realistic possibility but was pretty happy when we won the bidding war for him. Not signing him probably would have meant not having to get out of Marleau’s deal quite as badly as we ended up needing too and maybe could have used that pick to acquire better defensemen but we’d still would have had to go find a 3C also
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 38
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
I think it really costed them. How are you going to afford to keep Rielly? Andersen? Hyman? With some big ELC coming up like Robertson? Lily? Sandin? Dubas should've kept Matthews and Kadri as their top 2 centers, shored up the defense, then add more offense. His chalkboard read "Tavares" before anything that actually needed work.

How to keep those three players? They aren't the Leafs to keep. Gee some teams are having trouble signing their own RFAs, so let's not think the Leafs are unique. I still don't think the Leaf make a Tavares mistake. Just signing the RFAs to comparable league comparables should have been the route to go. If nothing else, trade cap players for low cap assets .
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 47
Am Yisrael Chai
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,702
Quoting: palhal
How to keep those three players? They aren't the Leafs to keep. Gee some teams are having trouble signing their own RFAs, so let's not think the Leafs are unique. I still don't think the Leaf make a Tavares mistake. Just signing the RFAs to comparable league comparables should have been the route to go. If nothing else, trade cap players for low cap assets .

I'm just saying it wasn't technically necessary to allocate that much cap space into non-necessities. Dubas should've prioritized the defense.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 55
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Modifié 12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 51
I'm just saying it wasn't technically necessary to allocate that much cap space into non-necessities. Dubas should've prioritized the defense.

As palhal mentioned in the Post #4, till that point there was enough money to even adress the Defence. Problems began with overpaying Nylander ( which is minor at 300k - 500k ), Matthews by 1,5M ( or two years in Term ) and the DesertQueen-bandwagon jumping Marner also by 1,5M
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 sept. 2020 à 23 h 56
LongtimeLeafsufferer

But Tavares was signed before Nylander, Matthews and Marner. Just trading Nylander for futures...and you got cap space. So you have Tavares for free and you get futures for Nylander plus cap space now.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 0
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Signing JT was never a problem. Leafs for no apparent reason overpaid for Nylander, Matthews and Marner when you look at comparable RFA and their salary and term.

12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 9
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Toronto would still have Kadri and probably Bozak.

They may have gone for a defenseman as well. The prospects in that category were very limited. I think Da Haan was the only worthwhile UFA D in 2018.

Marleau might've ended up still on the team, but his 6 million cap would've been a issue regardless of Tavares being here or not. You'd have him, Johnsson and Kapanen making 12 million.

The Matthews, Marner and Nylander contracts probably wouldn't have been much different. Marner not putting up 94 points would've knocked his value a bit, but estimates in 2018 were putting him at 9 million on his next deal.

So really, they'd have more wiggle room for signing but not much else. I'd bet they'd be in the same place as now.
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 22
Formerly Jamiepo
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700

Nylander at the time, 500k too much. He has grown into that easily. Matthews, no such thing as an overpay. If you want to keep him... pay him the money. Marner1-1.5m overpay. No excuse there. But overpaying on a young rfa is still better than overpaying an older ufa.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 161

I think people blame Dubas way too much for these contracts. Mitch Marner was arguably our most consistent offensive player that year and was probably THE reason Tavares had a career year. Marner was 22, and he definitely showed that he was worth as much as the other guys (Matthews/Tavares) making 10+ million. So, why would he ask for any less than what Tavares and Matthews were making? Especially at such a young age, he probably has the mentality that he's only going to get better... Also, Nylander and Matthews aren't overpaid. Nylander was on pace to score nearly 40 goals this year... Matthews can have as much money as he wishes... he's one of the most valuable players in the NHL.
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 24
Habs 2010
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 930

Exactly this. I dont get the "Perhaps Nylander, Matthews and Marner sign for less if Tavares doesn't set his contract as a standard." Tavares was the top UFA and took a discount to play in Toronto. That's the opposite of what happend with the three big RFA's.

Tradinf Kadri was not necessary either, it had nothing to do with Tavares but rather his suspension two playoffs in a row.

Maybe the GM should have looked into the ide of trading one of the big 3 RFA's who wanted too much money for a D instead of trading a guy on a team friendly contract.

Nobody knows, but all I know is signing Tavares was a great move, from a habs fan its honestly what took your team to the next level in my opinion.
palhal et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 32
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: GladeBang16
I think people blame Dubas way too much for these contracts. Mitch Marner was arguably our most consistent offensive player that year and was probably THE reason Tavares had a career year. Marner was 22, and he definitely showed that he was worth as much as the other guys (Matthews/Tavares) making 10+ million. So, why would he ask for any less than what Tavares and Matthews were making? Especially at such a young age, he probably has the mentality that he's only going to get better... Also, Nylander and Matthews aren't overpaid. Nylander was on pace to score nearly 40 goals this year... Matthews can have as much money as he wishes... he's one of the most valuable players in the NHL.

I think you proved my point. Contracts and almost how they are laid in the CBA are based on "years of control" not a direct relationship to their value compared to other players in the league. Plus salaries are based league wide comparisons ....not on individual teams
There is no logic to say ?Matthews can have as much money as he wishes? The fact that he isn't the second best player in the league..far from it, would logically say he isn't worth that money especially as a RFA
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Shanesaw9
Exactly this. I dont get the "Perhaps Nylander, Matthews and Marner sign for less if Tavares doesn't set his contract as a standard." Tavares was the top UFA and took a discount to play in Toronto. That's the opposite of what happend with the three big RFA's.

Tradinf Kadri was not necessary either, it had nothing to do with Tavares but rather his suspension two playoffs in a row.

Maybe the GM should have looked into the ide of trading one of the big 3 RFA's who wanted too much money for a D instead of trading a guy on a team friendly contract.

Nobody knows, but all I know is signing Tavares was a great move, from a habs fan its honestly what took your team to the next level in my opinion.

They haven't gotten to the "next level" since we signed him
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 50
Démarrer sujet
I think you proved my point. Contracts and almost how they are laid in the CBA are based on "years of control" not a direct relationship to their value compared to other players in the league. Plus salaries are based league wide comparisons ....not on individual teams
There is no logic to say ?Matthews can have as much money as he wishes? The fact that he isn't the second best player in the league..far from it, would logically say he isn't worth that money especially as a RFA

Would you have let Matthews go if you were in Dubas' position?
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 55
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Tell me what position was Dubas in that Matthews would be "let go". He was RFA. Tell me was Matthews options?
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 58
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559

Where would he go as RFA ? Back to Switzerland ?
12 sept. 2020 à 0 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Tell me what position was Dubas in that Matthews would be "let go". He was RFA. Tell me was Matthews options?

I mean not signing him and then trading him or letting him accept an offer sheet... it's extremely unrealistic for a gm to not sign their franchise player who's 21 years old just because they may have asked for a bit more money than you would expect. Then again, they would have paid him as much as he wanted. He's a top 15 player in the NHL and arguably top 10.
12 sept. 2020 à 10 h 33
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I mean not signing him and then trading him or letting him accept an offer sheet... it's extremely unrealistic for a gm to not sign their franchise player who's 21 years old just because they may have asked for a bit more money than you would expect. Then again, they would have paid him as much as he wanted. He's a top 15 player in the NHL and arguably top 10.

Didn't you just proved my point by your statement? The Leafs should NOT have paid the second highest player in the league when as you say he is a only a top 10 or 15 player. When players/teams go to arbirtration the judge looks at league comparables. For some reason the Leafs signed three contracts Nylander, Matthews and Marner for total of 5m too much when looking at league comparables. Teams cannot be expect to be able to construct a championship team if they a number of players far more than their value.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage