SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

Pens Fans what changes need to be made???

Most likely to be fired?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

7 août 2020 à 19 h 57
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,467
the poll aside I don't think firing the coach and the Gm is the answer, honestly. maybe getting rid of an assistant coach but that's not the main problem IMHO.

Pens fans, your thoughts on who needs to go or come, etc.
BradTolliverGoalie a aimé ceci.
7 août 2020 à 19 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
7 août 2020 à 20 h 1
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Honestly I don’t understand how this happened. Front office brought in all the guys who seem to fit Sully’s system (Rust, Zucker, McCann, Sheary, Rodriguez, Lafferty, Tanev), yet it seems like the players stopped playing for him. During the 1st half of the season they were playing fast, relentless with heavy forecheck & overwhelming cycle game. They went on a skid near the end of February & everything changed. Just doesn't make any sense.
BradTolliverGoalie a aimé ceci.
7 août 2020 à 20 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
For the Goalie thing I think Murray is all but gone now. He gets a generous 6 or 7 out of 10 in this series. Jarry wasn't tested much in Game 4 but was solid. I say roll with Jarry/DeSmith/Veteran backup like Khudobin?
7 août 2020 à 20 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
Honestly I don’t understand how this happened. Front office brought in all the guys who seem to fit Sully’s system (Rust, Zucker, McCann, Sheary, Rodriguez, Lafferty, Tanev), yet it seems like the players stopped playing for him. During the 1st half of the season they were playing fast, relentless with heavy forecheck & overwhelming cycle game. They went on a skid near the end of February & everything changed. Just doesn't make any sense.

I think partly they played that way because of the injuries forced them to. when Sid/Geno are both in the lineup then they stopped playing that way....I think it wasn't as bad as last year but the team just has to wake up and give 100% and step up! some trades will help but the issue is bigger....
7 août 2020 à 22 h 56
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
coach has to go.

worst coaching I have ever seen, dumbest decision making process every.
Benches McCann, plays worthless Marleau for 4 games.
Kept the JJ Shultz pairing going even though they are awful.

One of two things are true.
Either A. Sullivan is a total idiot who needs to go. or B. Sullivan was trying to stick it to GMJR with his poor decision making.

Pick and choose which one you want, but it's one or the other. There was no reason, none that JJ and Schultz should have been on the ice together if at all. He did nothing to change it.
He just made awful choices.
7 août 2020 à 23 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Sullivan has forced players to be moved out. Rutherford has enabled Sullivan by bringing in people Sullivan wanted. Sullivan is poor at lineups and even worse at in game adjustments.

Sullivan needs to be let go, and Rutherford should retire.
8 août 2020 à 6 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Yojimbo
Sullivan has forced players to be moved out. Rutherford has enabled Sullivan by bringing in people Sullivan wanted. Sullivan is poor at lineups and even worse at in game adjustments.

Sullivan needs to be let go, and Rutherford should retire.

Quoting: pharrow
coach has to go.

worst coaching I have ever seen, dumbest decision making process every.
Benches McCann, plays worthless Marleau for 4 games.
Kept the JJ Shultz pairing going even though they are awful.

One of two things are true.
Either A. Sullivan is a total idiot who needs to go. or B. Sullivan was trying to stick it to GMJR with his poor decision making.

Pick and choose which one you want, but it's one or the other. There was no reason, none that JJ and Schultz should have been on the ice together if at all. He did nothing to change it.
He just made awful choices.

While I agree there were some puzzling decisions, I don’t know how another coach would do a better job. I’m all for firing an assistant or something, but how could a another coach do his job when this team was built mostly to play Sullivan’s style, and they slack off when they have the big 3 in the lineup.
My question is, which coach would you bring In? And would the system be has work with the personnel we have??
8 août 2020 à 14 h 1
Banni
Quoting: Pens3lieve
While I agree there were some puzzling decisions, I don’t know how another coach would do a better job. I’m all for firing an assistant or something, but how could a another coach do his job when this team was built mostly to play Sullivan’s style, and they slack off when they have the big 3 in the lineup.
My question is, which coach would you bring In? And would the system be has work with the personnel we have??

how another coach would do a better job? I mean really didn't we go over this. Bench JJ, bench Marleau, not bench McCann.
These were obvious errors. Anyone watching those games knew after the 1st game JJ should have been benched. He had multiple choices of guys to play behind him. No one of them might have been perfect but any one of them had the potential to play better. Be it Riikola, POJ, random guy off the street.
8 août 2020 à 14 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
how another coach would do a better job? I mean really didn't we go over this. Bench JJ, bench Marleau, not bench McCann.
These were obvious errors. Anyone watching those games knew after the 1st game JJ should have been benched. He had multiple choices of guys to play behind him. No one of them might have been perfect but any one of them had the potential to play better. Be it Riikola, POJ, random guy off the street.

dude I totally get all that, but that doesn't seem like it would shock the team to suddenly play the system properly, score more, make better decisions with the puck, etc. the team lacked intensity this playoffs so the fix has to be more than benching a player or two right? I would let Marleau go, Buyout JJ, and probably have McCann as the 3rd line C or LW coming into next year, but I don't think that alone will be that spark the team needs.
8 août 2020 à 16 h 40
Banni
dude I totally get all that, but that doesn't seem like it would shock the team to suddenly play the system properly, score more, make better decisions with the puck, etc. the team lacked intensity this playoffs so the fix has to be more than benching a player or two right? I would let Marleau go, Buyout JJ, and probably have McCann as the 3rd line C or LW coming into next year, but I don't think that alone will be that spark the team needs.

if you look at those games, there are 3 things that stand out.
JJ and Schultz on the ice for almost every goal against.
Schultz is gone this year, JJ needs to be either sent out, sent to the AHL, or whatever.
The second was Schultz turning the puck over left and right. While the dynamic duo there was constantly put on Malkin's line. You hamstrung one of the biggest offensive threats on the whole team with that mess the whole series and wonder why they don't score.
Crosby was playing hurt, given, and probably Jake to who probably needed more time to come back.

But I mean really, this team is not far off, it just can't keep making these dumb decisions and the coach can't continue to be a jackass.
This is not Malkin and Crosby can carry bums kind of team. You have to give them help. Not that either isn't still a really good player they are.
But it doesn't matter who it is, with no help they aren't going anywhere. Just look at McDavid and Drai sitting at home now too.
They both have the same problem, no help.

Truth is the penguins have a good enough supporting cast to win. If the coach doesn't sink the boat with stupidity.
But he does.
They can't keep going that way and expecting the players will save the day.
If he takes JJ, Schultz, sheary and Marleau out of those games....it's a completely different series.

Hell even 3 of the 4 if you say there is no one better than Schultz there.

But he didn't. Instead after a game where they lost completely and totally from JJ and Schultz giving up 3 goals and leaving Murray out to dry. We got the same crap the next game.
I think JJ and Schultz were on for almost every goal against this series. WTF does that tell you.
8 août 2020 à 17 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
if you look at those games, there are 3 things that stand out.
JJ and Schultz on the ice for almost every goal against.
Schultz is gone this year, JJ needs to be either sent out, sent to the AHL, or whatever.
The second was Schultz turning the puck over left and right. While the dynamic duo there was constantly put on Malkin's line. You hamstrung one of the biggest offensive threats on the whole team with that mess the whole series and wonder why they don't score.
Crosby was playing hurt, given, and probably Jake to who probably needed more time to come back.

But I mean really, this team is not far off, it just can't keep making these dumb decisions and the coach can't continue to be a jackass.
This is not Malkin and Crosby can carry bums kind of team. You have to give them help. Not that either isn't still a really good player they are.
But it doesn't matter who it is, with no help they aren't going anywhere. Just look at McDavid and Drai sitting at home now too.
They both have the same problem, no help.

Truth is the penguins have a good enough supporting cast to win. If the coach doesn't sink the boat with stupidity.
But he does.
They can't keep going that way and expecting the players will save the day.
If he takes JJ, Schultz, sheary and Marleau out of those games....it's a completely different series.

Hell even 3 of the 4 if you say there is no one better than Schultz there.

But he didn't. Instead after a game where they lost completely and totally from JJ and Schultz giving up 3 goals and leaving Murray out to dry. We got the same crap the next game.
I think JJ and Schultz were on for almost every goal against this series. WTF does that tell you.

All fair points and I agree with most. GMJR has his work cut out for him for sure.
8 août 2020 à 20 h 39
Banni
I think partly they played that way because of the injuries forced them to. when Sid/Geno are both in the lineup then they stopped playing that way....I think it wasn't as bad as last year but the team just has to wake up and give 100% and step up! some trades will help but the issue is bigger....

Yeah I noticed that after Crosby came back, the team didn’t play with as high intensity compared to without him. The forwards weren’t helping the D stop the cycle or cover for their pinches & the D was just jumping into the play recklessly. After the injuries piled on them, they got worse.

I don’t always agree with @pharrow but she’s 100% correct about the coach being an issue. While there were many things that went wrong in this series, the main thing I look at is his failure to address the black holes that held the team back.

While the Pens may not have played their best, they were totally in control of game 1 getting the majority of shots and high danger chances, but it would be poor play by the JJ pairing or Marleau line that killed momentum the team generated & allowed MTL to take over. That happened time & time again yet was never addressed. Its not like they didn’t have better options either. If Sully played Riikola, Ruhwedel & Rodrigues, the result could’ve easily been different. They basically shot themselves in the leg. Perhaps Sully was trying to protect GMJR’s blunders or GMJR was just compromising every move Sully wanted. Either way, it hasn’t worked & I think it’s time for change.
9 août 2020 à 13 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Yeah I noticed that after Crosby came back, the team didn’t play with as high intensity compared to without him. The forwards weren’t helping the D stop the cycle or cover for their pinches & the D was just jumping into the play recklessly. After the injuries piled on them, they got worse.

I don’t always agree with @pharrow but she’s 100% correct about the coach being an issue. While there were many things that went wrong in this series, the main thing I look at is his failure to address the black holes that held the team back.

While the Pens may not have played their best, they were totally in control of game 1 getting the majority of shots and high danger chances, but it would be poor play by the JJ pairing or Marleau line that killed momentum the team generated & allowed MTL to take over. That happened time & time again yet was never addressed. Its not like they didn’t have better options either. If Sully played Riikola, Ruhwedel & Rodrigues, the result could’ve easily been different. They basically shot themselves in the leg. Perhaps Sully was trying to protect GMJR’s blunders or GMJR was just compromising every move Sully wanted. Either way, it hasn’t worked & I think it’s time for change.

Ok so what new head coach would you go with? and now? or if they start slow next season??

I'd consider Gallant and Velluci from WBS I think....but I'd let sully start next year at least....
9 août 2020 à 14 h 32
Banni
Ok so what new head coach would you go with? and now? or if they start slow next season??

I'd consider Gallant and Velluci from WBS I think....but I'd let sully start next year at least....

I don't have the answer for that question.

I don't go around scouting assistant coaches or ahl or NCAA coaches or whatever.

What I do know is he needs to go. His head is way to big.
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel won him 2 cups and he thinks it's him.

At some point they have to realize arrogance makes stupidity.
They need to move on. His personal issues have cost this team too much in the past 2 years.
He single handed wrecked the PP throwing Kessel out because he couldn't get along with him. In turn he had no idea how to fix it.
He refuses to play Riikola over JJ. He benched McCann while playing Marleau.
He chased Cole out ruining our defense that year in the playoffs.

At some point enough damage is enough.
Yojimbo a aimé ceci.
9 août 2020 à 15 h 6
Banni

Gallant is definitely an option. Over the past 3 years, Vegas have been a top 3 team in controlling possession, shots and chances. His system is more hybrid compared to Sully, more physicality & defensive structure. Laviolette is another one. His attacking system is similar to Sully, cycle the puck with speed. He has a more conservative forecheck which might suit this team.
9 août 2020 à 16 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Hockey IQ
Gallant is definitely an option. Over the past 3 years, Vegas have been a top 3 team in controlling possession, shots and chances. His system is more hybrid compared to Sully, more physicality & defensive structure. Laviolette is another one. His attacking system is similar to Sully, cycle the puck with speed. He has a more conservative forecheck which might suit this team.

I've always thought an aggressive forecheck is how we are successful. putting pressure on their D and creating turnovers....thing with Laviolette is I don't like him from when we played NSH...lol
I also like Boudreau fired from MIN this year he might be a good option.
9 août 2020 à 19 h 44
Banni
I've always thought an aggressive forecheck is how we are successful. putting pressure on their D and creating turnovers....thing with Laviolette is I don't like him from when we played NSH...lol
I also like Boudreau fired from MIN this year he might be a good option.

I liked Boudreau's ability to adapt to different styles with different teams. With Minnesota, they were a defense-minded team because they didn't have a lot of talent. It was inevitable they didn't get good results, but he was decent there.
Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
13 août 2020 à 0 h 11
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,687
Go Habs Go...and I hate the Habs!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage