SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Islanders signed Ilya Sorokin (1 Year / $2,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

15 juill. 2020 à 21 h 34
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
He had a lot of leverage. "Pay me or I stay in the KHL." He just decided not to use it.

That's why teams are afraid of drafting Russian players. They have a lot more leverage because if the KHL.
that's probably more because there's no transfer agreement in place between the NHL and the KHL, and GMs can never figure out exactly when they can get Russian players to make the move to NA because Russian hockey clubs tend to keep a pretty tight grip on their younger prospects. i wouldn't make it out as "the KHL is just as good an alternative to the NHL," though player agents certainly paint it that way to gain leverage in negotiations.
15 juill. 2020 à 21 h 38
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
that's probably more because there's no transfer agreement in place between the NHL and the KHL, and GMs can never figure out exactly when they can get Russian players to make the move to NA because Russian hockey clubs tend to keep a pretty tight grip on their younger prospects. i wouldn't make it out as "the KHL is just as good an alternative to the NHL," though player agents certainly paint it that way to gain leverage in negotiations.

The KHL is not as good a league but the money is certainly as good if not better. Russians in the KHL get their money tax free. When they come to America, they lose 50% in taxes.

Top tier Russian free agents have a lot of negotiating power.

He clearly took less than what he could have if he played hardball. I dont think the Islanders let him walk for an extra million or 2 when he could be a franchise goalie. Plus they would want a strong relationship with him so he'd re-sign.
15 juill. 2020 à 21 h 44
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
The KHL is not as good a league but the money is certainly as good if not better. Russians in the KHL get their money tax free. When they come to America, they lose 50% in taxes.

Top tier Russian free agents have a lot of negotiating power.

He clearly took less than what he could have if he played hardball. I dont think the Islanders let him walk for an extra million or 2 when he could be a franchise goalie. Plus they would want a strong relationship with him so he'd re-sign.
eh. both sides clearly had something they wanted; the Islanders needed a young goalie in his prime that could potentially be a goalie of the future, Sorokin wanted a shot at the NHL. the 1-year deal at $2M is, honestly, more likely than not because of this whole COVID-19 mess and the loss in HRR that the league's sustaining, which led to the flat salary cap in the new CBA. no team in the league is really in a position to hand out a ginormous contract at the moment.
15 juill. 2020 à 22 h 7
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
eh. both sides clearly had something they wanted; the Islanders needed a young goalie in his prime that could potentially be a goalie of the future, Sorokin wanted a shot at the NHL. the 1-year deal at $2M is, honestly, more likely than not because of this whole COVID-19 mess and the loss in HRR that the league's sustaining, which led to the flat salary cap in the new CBA. no team in the league is really in a position to hand out a ginormous contract at the moment.

I agree. Both sides made compromises to make this deal happen.

Islanders compromised by burning a year of ELC. Sorokin compromised by taking less on this deal.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage