SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Worst Drafts by Team since 2000?

4 juill. 2020 à 3 h 12
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 10
I was going through and looking at what the Caps would have had if they had never made a trade since the Ovechkin draft. I was distracted by the thought of, "Wow, that '04 draft was amazing. That '12 draft was great, too!" However, there were some years that apart from one player... those were some misses. I was curious to wonder, "Which draft do you think was the worst for each team since 2000?" I've cast my votes below. Are there any specific drafts since 2000 that really leave a sour taste in your mouth?

Ducks: 2006
Had 3 picks in top 100 and missed on all three. At #19 overall they took Mark Mitera. Matt Beleskey would be their one redeeming point in this draft. Interestingly enough, the Ducks would have the #19 pick in 2007 and also strike out. They probably thought they would get another Ryan Getzlaf like they did in 2003 with pick #19.

Coyotes: 2003
1997 and 1999 were probably worse drafts, but they don't meet the parameters of this exercise. Not a single Coyotes pick made it to the NHL from their 2003 draft. For that reason I have chosen it the worst draft since 2000. I should state that although they did have eight picks in this draft their first selection wasn't until pick #77.

Bruins: 2007
The six picks made by the Bruins in 2007 combined for 23GP in the NHL . Zach Hamill, taken 8th overall, played 20 of them. Not to mention your #8 pick in the draft only managed to play 20 games in the NHL. That's a big swing and miss.

Sabres: 2010
The Sabres didn't completely swing and miss on the 23rd overall pick in Mark Pysyk. However, they had four more picks in the top 100 that never played a game in the NHL. Of their nine picks in 2010 Pysyk was the only one to make it to the NHL.

Flames: 2006
Only 13 total NHL games played by eight draft picks in this class... all played by Leland Irving taken 26th overall. Plus, only 13GP out of your first round pick? Not good. Still on the board? Nick Foligno, Jamie McGinn, Nikolay Kulemin, and Milan Lucic.

Hurricanes: 2001
The Hurricanes got 197 games out of Mike Zigomanis taken 46th overall, but they completely missed at #15 with Igor Knyazev. They got 10 games out of the other seven players they took, all by Rob Zepp at #110. Instead of Knyazev the Canes could have had R.J. Umberger (#16), Marcel Goc (#20), or Tim Gleason (#23).

Blackhawks: 2000
There were a few drafts that stood out, but then I looked at 2000. Seven picks in top 151, 15 total picks, picks #10 and #11... not a single player over 60 NHL games played. Eight players with 0GP and three more with >10. Mikhail Yakubov and Pavel Vorobiev could have been Ron Hainsey (#13), Brooks Orpik (#18), Justin Williams (#28), or Niklas Kronwall (#29).

Avalanche: 2014
A swing and a miss. A total of 66 NHL games played so far, all by Anton Lindholm. He was pick #144 that year. Three picks in the top 100... 0GP.

Blue Jackets: 2004
The Jackets had 12 picks, and five made it to the NHL, but their most notable player from this draft was Grant Clitsome taken #271 with their final pick in the draft. The Jackets had five picks in the top 100. They combined for 74GP in the NHL. Alexandre Picard, taken #8 overall, played 67 of those games amassing the only 2pts (both assists) registered by those players.

Stars: 2002
The Stars did get Trevor Daley who had a fantastic career in this draft. However, the Stars had FIVE of the first 50 picks in this draft. Other than Daley, taken #43, only Tobias Stephan suited up for any games in the NHL... with 11GP. The Stars seven other picks outside the top 50 in this class recorded 0GP.

Red Wings: 2001
Granted the Red Wings seem to never have a first round pick, but they never seem to miss in the first round when they do. In 2001 the Red Wings had 7 total picks. They amassed 77GP total. However, Dmitry Bykov, taken #258 played 71 of those 77GP. Drew MacIntyre played the other six.

Oilers: 2012
Honestly, the Oilers have drafted pretty well all things considered. However, they had the #1 pick in 2012 and Yakupov was a miss. I think most Oiler fans wish they had a mulligan on this one. As such, 2012 is my pick here.

Panthers: 2005
With the #20 pick the Panthers would take Kenndal McArdle. Who? Exactly. The eight players picked in this draft would amass 43GP in the NHL. Mr. McArdle would have 42 of those tallying 1G 2A in his career. Still available? Tuukka Rask (#21), T.J. Oshie (#24), Andrew Cogliano (#25), Matt Niskanen (#28).

Kings: 2004
One thing I noticed is that the Kings have had some damn good drafts before and after 2004. In 2004, not so much. The Kings had nine picks in this draft, including the #11 overall. The class amassed 86GP in the NHL. Scott Parse would play 73 of those games, but he was the King's fifth pick in this draft at #174. Lauri Tukonen was taken at #11 and had 5GP.

Wild: 2012
The wild would take Matt Dumba #7 overall in this draft. Not a dumb pick. However, their six other picks in this draft have combined for 9GP in the NHL, all by Christoph Bertschy taken #158. The Wild missed in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds in this draft.

Canadiens: 2008
There were 0GP by this entire draft class. Granted the Canadiens did not have a first round pick, but this still missed in rounds 2-5 and 7. Still available to them: Michael Stone (#69), Zack Smith (#79), Adam Henrique (#82), Braden Holtby (#93).

Predators: 2006
This may have been the only standout "bad draft" the Preds have had. Blake Geoffrion was taken #56 and played 55 games. That was all but one of the total games played by this diminutive draft class.

Devils: 2001
The Devils had six picks in the top 100 in this draft. Those picks played 21 NHL games. Tuomas Pihlman (Pick #48) played 15, Brandon Nolan (Pick #72) played 6. They combined for 3pts in their careers. The Devils took Adrian Foster #28 in this draft. Still on the board? David Steckel (#30), Derek Roy (#32), Mike Cammalleri (#49).

Islanders: 2005
This one is a tossup. Although 2001 and 2007 were awful drafts for the Islanders, the Isles didn't have a pick until #62 in 2007, and pick #101 in 2001. In 2005 they had #15 and #46. They would combine for 55GP 1G 10A 11P. Their five other picks that year, 1GP. That first two rounds in the '05 draft were pretty deep. They missed in both.

Rangers: 2015
There are a lot of bad drafts to pick from. I went with this one because only Aleksi Saarela has played in the NHL from this class. He has 9GP... for the Panthers.

Senators: 2002
Jakub Klepis was the Sens pick at #16. Totaling 66GP, 4G 10A 14PTS. This class totaled 72GP in the NHL with Alexei Kaigorodov playing the other six. Still on the board for the Sens were: Alexander Steen (#24), Cam Ward (#25), Trevor Daley (#43).

Flyers: 2004
I really want to say 1999 when the Flyers took Maxime Ouellet #22 overall. However, it's outside the parameters. In 2004 the Flyers had 11 picks. David Laliberte and Triston Grant would both have 11GP by the end of their careers. They would account for 22 of the 23GP by this draft class.

Penguins: 2008
This draft class, although small and all late pick, has 1GP in the NHL. Alexander Pechurskiy would come in as the backup for a game in 2010 stopping 12 of 13 shots he faced.

Sharks: 2002
The sharks would take Kris Newbury and Tim Conboy who would both see 50+ games in the NHL. However, the Sharks wouldn't see a game played by their other six picks in the draft. That would include picks #27, #52, and #86. Those could have been Trevor Daley, Duncan Keith, and Valtteri Filppula.

Blues: 2002
The Blues would take D.J. King in this draft at #190. That was their sixth selection in this draft. Given the names that were still on the board at picks #48, #62, and #89, they missed just as badly as the Sharks.

Lightning: 2006
There were some really questionable drafts early on for the Lightning. However, in 2006 they decided to take goaltender Riku Helenius at #15. He would appear in one game in his career. Still on the board? Claude Giroux (#22), Semyon Varlamov (#23), Nick Foligno (#28).

Maple Leafs: 2011
In 2011 the Leafs had picks #22 and #25. Two first round picks they turned into Tyler Biggs (0GP) and Stuart Percy (11GP 0G 3A). Suffice it to say that if you strike out twice in the first round... you had a bad day. This is the same draft that Brandon Saad went #43 and Nikita Kucherov went #58.

Canucks: 2007
With six total picks, including picks #25 and #33, this draft class amassed 0GP in the NHL. The Canucks would take Patrick White #25 and Taylor Ellington #33. Still on the board were David Perron (#26), P.K. Subban (#43), Wayne Simmonds (#61). Even Justin Braun (GO UMass!) would have been an improvement. He went pick #201 and has 669GP at the time of writing this.

Golden Knights: 2019
Not like there is much to choose from with this team. However, Peyton Krebs at #17 seems like a mistake. Especially with Connor McMichael, John Beecher, Nolan Foote, and Ville Heinola all on the board still.

Capitals 2007
Karl Alzner had a solid NHL career, but three other picks in the top 100 totaled 0GP. In fact, the Caps missed on nine picks out of their total of ten. At pick #34 the Caps could have had any of the following: P.K. Subban, Wayne Simmonds, or Alexander Killorn. Instead? Josh Godfrey.

Jets: 2016
There's not much to pick from here, nor is there much to complain about in the Jets' draft history. The 2016 draft was the year they took Patrik Laine #2 overall. However, that pick was a given. They also had the #18 pick in this draft and so far Logan Stanley hasn't made it to the NHL yet. Nor has anyone else taken in this class.
4 juill. 2020 à 11 h 24
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Good list. I'd add the Leafs 2004 draft. Combined 54 games between Justin Pogge and Robbie Earl.

They didn't have a 1st rounder due to the Leetch trade (which was a good deal), but botched the rest of that draft. Although it's not as bad compared to some of the goose eggs you listed, drafting Pogge led to him having a greater spotlight at the 2006 WJC. He and Rask played great, but Canada won the gold with Pogge as the goalie. Months later Rask is traded for Raycroft.
4 juill. 2020 à 12 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
Good list. I'd add the Leafs 2004 draft. Combined 54 games between Justin Pogge and Robbie Earl.

They didn't have a 1st rounder due to the Leetch trade (which was a good deal), but botched the rest of that draft. Although it's not as bad compared to some of the goose eggs you listed, drafting Pogge led to him having a greater spotlight at the 2006 WJC. He and Rask played great, but Canada won the gold with Pogge as the goalie. Months later Rask is traded for Raycroft.

That one was on my radar, too. For the reasons you stated I decided to go with 2011. It was hard to kill teams that missed on drafts where they didn’t have a first rounder. I was tempted to ask which team had the worst draft overall.
6 juill. 2020 à 9 h 12
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
that 07 bruins draft was ROUGH. they did absolutely nothing draft wise from 07-09 before drafting seguin in 10 which the rest of their draft was hot garbage. Chiarelli had some horrible drafts here.
7 juill. 2020 à 2 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: hanson493
that 07 bruins draft was ROUGH. they did absolutely nothing draft wise from 07-09 before drafting seguin in 10 which the rest of their draft was hot garbage. Chiarelli had some horrible drafts here.

I think that '15 might have been an unmitigated disaster if Carlo hadn't been there, too. To have gotten stuck with three consecutive picks and unable to move them?! Then not taking Barzal, Chabot, Boeser, or Svechnikov? Debrusk and Carlo plus two of those four and you have yourself perhaps the greatest draft class ever taken. Instead you have Senyshyn and Zboril doing... nothing. I will say this about the 2015 draft class. Every single player taken in the fist round has played in the NHL. That's one hell of a deep draft.
7 juill. 2020 à 11 h 39
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Quoting: HGStebbins
I think that '15 might have been an unmitigated disaster if Carlo hadn't been there, too. To have gotten stuck with three consecutive picks and unable to move them?! Then not taking Barzal, Chabot, Boeser, or Svechnikov? Debrusk and Carlo plus two of those four and you have yourself perhaps the greatest draft class ever taken. Instead you have Senyshyn and Zboril doing... nothing. I will say this about the 2015 draft class. Every single player taken in the fist round has played in the NHL. That's one hell of a deep draft.

we can discuss/debate the bruins strategy till we are all blue in the face for various reasons. Zboril by many scouts and rankings was the next best available LD on the board. He has raw skills and looks pretty damn good in the ahl. hes just not hitting his ceiling like everyone thought he would. Debrusk was a true bruins player type pick. physical scorer. I would take that pick time and time again. The really only "bad" one was senyshyn. and in the year after the draft year had been a 40 goal scorer. Did i want kyle connor. yup. Do i think sweeney missed on the pick. yup. Do i think senyshyn is a "bust"? no, i think he can be a solid 30-40 point player maybe even a 20 goal scorer. he always seems to be in the right spot, just needs the opportunity. Dont forget this was sweeney's first draft as gm. Scouts said he had a natural shooting ability just needed to develop the rest of his game. maybe we see that soon.
7 juill. 2020 à 16 h 53
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
One thing I'd love to see is an analysis of how well/poorly a team drafted in a year relative to the overall quality of the draft.

For instance, Chicago is awful in 2000, but on the whole, that draft year wasn't anything to write home about. The two guys they picked in the first round were 1st and 2nd in the CSS's European rankings, and less than half of that entire first round ever amounted to anything.

Phoenix in 2003 may have had the worst draft since 2000. Not only did none of their picks make the NHL, but they were also the only team to accomplish that. In fact, every other team had a least one player which played a full NHL season.
8 juill. 2020 à 1 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: mondo
One thing I'd love to see is an analysis of how well/poorly a team drafted in a year relative to the overall quality of the draft.

For instance, Chicago is awful in 2000, but on the whole, that draft year wasn't anything to write home about. The two guys they picked in the first round were 1st and 2nd in the CSS's European rankings, and less than half of that entire first round ever amounted to anything.

Phoenix in 2003 may have had the worst draft since 2000. Not only did none of their picks make the NHL, but they were also the only team to accomplish that. In fact, every other team had a least one player which played a full NHL season.

I think draft accuracy has improved since the ‘04 lockout. I am not sure that there was a huge change in the way that scouts identify players, but there is so much more data available at every level. If teams missed in the first two rounds in the past it was seen as a waste, but known unknown. Now, if you miss in the first or second rounds there It’s seen as a huge bust and jobs will be lost.
8 juill. 2020 à 11 h 36
Quoting: HGStebbins
I think draft accuracy has improved since the ‘04 lockout. I am not sure that there was a huge change in the way that scouts identify players, but there is so much more data available at every level. If teams missed in the first two rounds in the past it was seen as a waste, but known unknown. Now, if you miss in the first or second rounds there It’s seen as a huge bust and jobs will be lost.

This is true. There's fewer 1st round complete busts anymore. Even guys who aren't good, but still play in the league a few years (like Yakupov) are better than complete busts
12 juill. 2020 à 15 h 53
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,201
Little late to the party, but I'm also just going to throw in the extra groin kick to the Leafs in that draft. Not only did they whiff on their two 1sts, the 22nd overall pick was from a 'trade up'. The Leafs moved pick 30 and 39 to Anaheim for pick 22 and selected Tyler Biggs while the Ducks selected Rickard Rakell and John Gibson.

Not only that, but on day two of the draft, they traded with Anaheim again. They swapped 6th round picks. The Leafs got Anaheim's 6th in 2012 and the Ducks got Toronto's 6th in 2011. The Leafs used the pick to select Ryan Rupert in 2012, while Anaheim selected Josh Manson.

So the Leafs traded away the picks that would become Rickard Rakell, Josh Manson, and John Gibson and used their end of the exchanges to take Tyler Biggs and Ryan Rupert...
12 juill. 2020 à 17 h 21
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Little late to the party, but I'm also just going to throw in the extra groin kick to the Leafs in that draft. Not only did they whiff on their two 1sts, the 22nd overall pick was from a 'trade up'. The Leafs moved pick 30 and 39 to Anaheim for pick 22 and selected Tyler Biggs while the Ducks selected Rickard Rakell and John Gibson.

Not only that, but on day two of the draft, they traded with Anaheim again. They swapped 6th round picks. The Leafs got Anaheim's 6th in 2012 and the Ducks got Toronto's 6th in 2011. The Leafs used the pick to select Ryan Rupert in 2012, while Anaheim selected Josh Manson.

So the Leafs traded away the picks that would become Rickard Rakell, Josh Manson, and John Gibson and used their end of the exchanges to take Tyler Biggs and Ryan Rupert...

It's almost like Dave Morrison was a horrible scouting director
12 juill. 2020 à 23 h 16
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,169
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Biggs wasn't an outlandish pick at the time, most predictions had him guaranteed in the first round and he was the kind of player Burke fawned over.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage