SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Compliance Buyouts

22 mars 2020 à 20 h 47
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Because of COVID-19, the salary cap will not be anywhere near where it was projected to be. This is both because of lost revenue from games that would have happened, and just the impact of the virus on the global economy. In my opinion, at this point there is no chance the salary cap goes up, and there’s even a chance that it will decrease next year. Because of this, according to Brian Burke, the NHL is going over its options to help reduce the impact of this on the teams, including allowing teams to have compliance buyout(s). For any that don’t know, compliance buyouts are the same as normal buyouts, except they have no cap hit.

Anyways, I basically made a list of players that could be potential candidates for a compliance buyout if this ends up happening.

ANA - David Backes (1x$4.5)
ARI - Alex Goligoski (1x$5.48) or Jason Demers (1x$3.94)
BOS - None
BUF - Jeff Skinner (7x$9) or Kyle Okposo (3x$6)
CGY - Milan Lucic (3x$5.25)
CAR - None
CHI - Brent Seabrook* (4x$6.88) or Zack Smith (1x$3.25)
COL - None
CBJ - Brandon Dubinsky* (1x$5.85)
DAL - None
DET - Justin Abdelkader (3x$4.25) or Frans Nielsen (2x$5.25)
EDM - James Neal (3x$5.75)
FLA - None
LAK - Jeff Carter (2x$5.27) or Jonathan Quick (3x$5.8)
MIN - Victor Rask (2x$4) or Zach Parise (5x$7.54)
MTL - Karl Alzner (2x$4.63)
NSH - Kyle Turris (5x$6)
NJD - PK Subban (2x$9) or Cory Schneider (2x$6)
NYI - Andrew Ladd (3x$5.5) or Johnny Boychuk (2x$6)
NYR - Henrik Lundqvist (1x$8.5) or Marc Staal (1x$5.7)
OTT - None
PHI - Shayne Gostisbehere (3x$4.5)
PIT - Jack Johnson (3x$3.25)
SJS - Martin Jones (4x$5.75)
STL - Jake Allen (1x$4.35)
TBL - Yanni Gourde (5x$5.17)
TOR - None
VAN - Loui Eriksson (2x$6) or Sven Baertschi (1x$3.37)
VGK - None
WSH - None
WPG - Dustin Byfuglien (1x$7.6)

* - This means that the player was on IR/LTIR when the season was postponed. This could potentially mean they aren’t able to be bought out, since you cannot buyout an injured player.

Reasoning
ARI: IDK about this one. I’m not too familiar with the Coyotes, but these contracts are definitely both high, although I don’t know how important they are to the Yotes.
BUF: This is interesting. The Sabres would definitely love to shed Okposo, but would the ownership admit that they screwed up just one year into a $72 million contract? And make the team worse? I don’t know.
EDM: The Oilers have to decide whether James Neal is more valuable to their team than the cap space or not.
LAK: The Quick one is unlikely, but his contract isn’t great. If they can’t move Carter, I could see the Kings just getting rid of him and his cap hit.
NYR: There rumors that the Rangers are considering buying out Lundqvist to allow him to go elsewhere anyways, so might as well save themselves $8.5 million. Staal depends on whether they need cap space, and what happens with Henrik.
OTT: Bobby Ryan could be an option, but I don’t think the Sens would want/need to, since he gets them to the floor. Plus it seems like he’s an important player to the franchise off the ice.
PHI: This one depends on what management thinks of him. If they think he is what he was this year (a 3rd painting D-man that won’t play every night) then he’s overpaid, so they need to get rid of him. If they still see something else in him, they’ll keep him.
SJS: The Sharks have a lot of big contracts, but I don’t think it makes sense to buyout Karlsson or Vlasic.
WPG: Don’t know what the deal is with this contract, but if it hasn’t been terminated, might as well just buy him out.

Feedback is appreciated, tell me if there’s anyone I missed, or anyone you think wouldn’t be an option.
30 mars 2020 à 19 h 51
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
A sincere question: How is Bobby Ryan an important player to the Sens franchise? He spent most of the season in the substance abuse program. Probably not the guy I'd want as a mentor to the young guys.

I do agree with you that he probably won't be bought out anyway b/c, like you said, he'll help the Sens get to the floor.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage